home
RSS
Top evangelical to Anthony Weiner: Try Jesus
June 14th, 2011

Top evangelical to Anthony Weiner: Try Jesus

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - One of the nation’s most prominent evangelicals has entered the debate over whether Anthony Weiner will benefit from therapy, encouraging the embattled  Jewish New York congressman to try Jesus instead.

Albert Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, tweeted this message of the weekend: “Dear Congressman Weiner: There is no effective ‘treatment’ for sin. Only atonement, found only in Jesus Christ."

The tweet set some tongues a wagging, especially because Weiner is Jewish.

USA Today said the remark echoed Fox News' Brit Hume comment that golfer Tiger Woods, a Buddhist, should try Christianity after he became embroiled in a sex scandal last year.

Mohler, who leads the flagship school of the Southern Baptist Convention - the nation's largest evangelical denomination - took to his blog Tuesday to defend himself amid the controversy, noting that his tweet “never mentioned Judaism.”

“Rep. Weiner’s problem has to do with the fact that he is a sinner, like every other human being, regardless of religious faith or affiliation,” Mohler wrote. “Christians — at least those who hold to biblical and orthodox Christianity — believe that salvation is found through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and in him alone.”

Mohler called the controversy over his tweet “another sign of how politically incorrect biblical Christianity is becoming in our times.”

What do you think? Is Mohler simply stating Christian doctrine? Or is it improper to suggest that members of other religious traditions who are facing crises try Jesus?

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Jesus • Judaism

1. Iheartyou

"Top evangelical to Anthony Weiner: Try Jesus"...... yes, because "jesus" worked so well for all of those Catholic priests.

June 14, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • Anidiotru

I've posted twice below...

but since ur post is first...I'm thinking these two posts sum IT ALL UP.

Love and kisses....

What about U aginghippy??? are U sure you want to be so dogmatic?
      Karma has a funny way...let alone teh christian belief of what u sow YOU reap

Did u intend to show your ignorance about the difference between a Catholic priest and an Evangelical Christian....might want to do a bit of research.

June 14, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • Iheartyou

Not quite sure what the heck you are trying to say (you either don't have a good grasp of the english language or lousy typing skills, not sure which), but the point of my post was that catholic priest also believe in jesus and look how well that worked out for them in the morality issue. "Trying jesus" has not stopped men from cheating, molesting, raping and lying in the past and it's not likely to do so in the future. Evangelical christian - catholic priest -- no real difference. They all believe in fairy tales and hide behind their "faith". Maybe it is you that should try to do some research. If ignorance is bliss then you must be one insanely happy person.

June 14, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • Anidiotru

WOW...your response to the response shows how insanely tolerant you are...

Your compassion and love for others oozes out of your reply.

My response was very clear and articulate...

And it reiterates you misunderstanding of the difference between a Catholic priest and any other clergy members.

June 14, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
    • Iheartyou

[Sigh. Ok, I'll bite, heck – I have nothing else going on at the moment. But I will have to stop this silly little discussion in a few minutes and get back to my actual life.]

Oh mighty and tolerant one (and what exactly does your moniker mean... an idiot r u... yup – your peace love and tolerance is apparent for all to see, how could i have missed it), your response was neither very clear nor very articulate. Still not quite sure why you're not seeing the point here. Let me break it down a little more: catholic priests believe in jesus. evangelical christians believe in jesus. "other" clergy members believe in jesus. their differences aren't the point, it's that one similarity (jesus) that is the basis for my post. catholic priests, evangelical christians and "other" clergy members have all had much publicized morality issues. how in the world does "trying jesus" help weiner with his morality issues when it could not even help these "men of faith"? Are you following along now? Peace.

June 14, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
    • Anidiotru

HUH...???
      I didn't claim to be an "oh mighty or tolerant one".

I think that my original response that you missed was that the two items were responses too other posts...and like I said in my original post..you did not take the time to read them...which...here. reiterates..it once again ad naseum...(you might want to take a logic class, breathing class....maybe a general humanity class at the community college since it is pretty obvious that you are still struggling with the basics of intellectual thought...Sorry...I digressed...perhaps you should look some of those words up that up...

anyway....

You stated..."... why you're not seeing the point here. Let me break it down a little more: catholic priests believe in jesus. evangelical christians believe in jesus. "other" clergy members believe in jesus. their differences aren't the point, it's that one similarity (jesus) that is the basis for my post. catholic priests, evangelical christians and "other" clergy members have all had much publicized morality issues."

I see this type of non-logical post all the time...Your arguments are illogical on several fronts....Let's just look at two logical arguments( I know this will a stretch for you ((and others)) but ... 1) your base argument is(are) without warrant. 2) Your base argument is without fact.

Focus on the "difference(s)" of belief in Jesus is the point!

And that again illustrates that YOU have never studied the differences between the various sects of Christianity.

June 14, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
    • Dubliner

With the scandal in the Catholic Church in Ireland I have looked closely at various statements of the Catholic Church and noticed how Jesus and his teaching are largely absent in these. If only they would read the four Gospels carefully and take all Jesus' words seriously. Abuse in a professing Christian church member's life occurs when he/she does not follow the clear teachings of Jesus. Albert Mohler is correct in wanting Anthony Weiner to take a serious look at the message of the Gospels.

June 15, 2011 at 6:13 am |
  2. Lila

Weiner needs therapy or some kind or counseling ... Not religion. Certainly not someone else's religion. Absurd!

June 14, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
  3. John Q. Public

Mohler is wrong, it's not that Christianity is politically incorrect. It's just that Christianity is simply incorrect.

June 14, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
  4. Death to LulzSec

I don't know what kind of lollipop and unicorn dream world these fundies are living in, but they need to get a new shtick instead of regurgitating the same ol' "find Je-Seuss!" line every time someone screws up.

June 14, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  5. incaseoflife

For those who are freaking out about Jews not believing in Jesus, there are organizations comprised entirely of Jewish folks who do: Jews for Jesus would be one. The hundreds of Messianic Jewish congregations around the world would be others. All religious claims are not equivalent, folks. Let's not pretend they are!

June 14, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  6. aginghippy

I wait for the headline that reads, "Albert Mohler indicted for _____________ ." <- Insert scandalous crime of your choice

June 14, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • Anidiotru

What about U aginghippy??? are U sure you want to be so dogmatic?
      Karma has a funny way...let alone teh christian belief of what u sow YOU reap

June 14, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
    • Bill

aginghippy, you will be waiting a long time!!

June 15, 2011 at 10:16 am |
  7. JimmyFlim

Weiner to top evangelical: try pu$$y

June 14, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • Frogist

LOL! Of course, how do you know he hasn't...

June 14, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  8. john

Wiener should become a faithful religious Jew, I know orthodox Jews well the divorce rate in the orthodox world is 2% and unfaithfulness amongst orthodox Jews are almost non existent, so let him try his own religion

June 14, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  9. lindsbry

Nothing wrong with what the evangelist guy said... People – he's an evangelist!!

June 14, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  10. Mark Sugar

wow, what an a**hole.

June 14, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  11. john

look around around at all the Christians pastors that are pedophiles, it looks like Christianity worked for them.

June 14, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • Anidiotru

June 14, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • Frogist

Catholics aren't the only ones swimming with the pedos... Pastor Long had some pedo fun too I hear.

June 14, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  12. Adam

Try Zeus!

June 14, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • Steve

Haha! Exactly! I'll see your fictional character and raise you another. In that case, "Try The Flying Spaghetti Monster!"

June 14, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • Iheartyou

Ha! I see your Zeus and FSM and raise you one Xenu!!! (bring it.)

June 14, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
  13. maxdenn

This guy Mohler knows exactly what he's doing. And it's foul. Your input on this matter Mr. Mohler, is not needed.

June 14, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  14. Gary

That is so rude! I would hope that some like Albert Mohler is educated and has enough intellegence not to speak in such a way. It's small minded, ignorant to think only someone who gives his soul to Jesus has morals.
    Saying what he said shows Albert Mohler has not given himself to Jesus either.

June 14, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • Anidiotru

Wow Gary...I'm sorry....I didn't realize you were the authority on tolerance...It amazes me how tolerant you are of others beliefs....I wish I was more like you. Maybe one day..maybe you could start a church or a religious movement.

June 14, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  15. Steven

and if jesus doesn't work, try Chuck Norris! he'll straighen things out for you with a nice roundkick to the face.

June 14, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
  16. jj

WHAT??? This isn't even close to a NEWS story. Oh, damn – this is on the Religious page. I wish they would point that out in the headline, so I wouldn't waste my time looking. And maybe change it to EVANGELICAL Belief.
    More WHAT??? – and Weiner is Jewish! I'm sure they could find a muslim leader to tell Weiner that Mohammed is the only way. It's just as newsworthy!

June 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  17. Judas

LMAO!!! Christians are so stupid, the man is JEWISH!!! He does not believe in Jesus PERIOD!!!

June 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
    • lindsbry

why is it ok to call Christians stupid? Would you call other religious groups that? Not nice.

June 14, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
    • vo1citw

That's why he has problems - DUH!!!

June 14, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  18. Fletch

Uh...I think he prefers matza ball soup...

June 14, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  19. Robbie Nelson

IDitto

June 14, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  20. GentileDog

Mohler and christians like me are gentile dogs gathered under the banquet table set by the most important Jew that ever lived. Mohler is simply appealing to Weiner to believe in the Jewish Messiah. What's amazing is that the truly Jewish faith of Christianity is available to dirt-bag gentiles like me as well. Hey, if I can get in on redemption thru the merits of Christ (I have no merits of my own) then, please, Mr. Weiner, take a seat at the banquet table. Christ has brought an end to any enmity that stands between us and God. The joy of beholding Christ face to face – are actually what you've been looking for whether you realize it or not.

June 14, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • Chris

Great post...the Jewish Messiah is open to all. Gentiles are grafted into the strength of the Jewish faith; when Jews realize this and come to their Messiah the true blessings of God Kingdom will be revealed.

June 14, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • vo1citw

Amen, Bro. Unfortunately, until their eys are opened, this is foolishness to them. So sad!

"The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God."

2 Corinthians 4:4

June 14, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • Stand Up

vo1citw: "Corinthians"

Ah, yes, by Paul of Tarsus - a very skillful salesman and propagandist. Why do you believe him?

June 14, 2011 at 6:53 pm |