home
RSS
Top evangelical to Anthony Weiner: Try Jesus
June 14th, 2011

Top evangelical to Anthony Weiner: Try Jesus

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - One of the nation’s most prominent evangelicals has entered the debate over whether Anthony Weiner will benefit from therapy, encouraging the embattled  Jewish New York congressman to try Jesus instead.

Albert Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, tweeted this message of the weekend: “Dear Congressman Weiner: There is no effective ‘treatment’ for sin. Only atonement, found only in Jesus Christ."

The tweet set some tongues a wagging, especially because Weiner is Jewish.

USA Today said the remark echoed Fox News' Brit Hume comment that golfer Tiger Woods, a Buddhist, should try Christianity after he became embroiled in a sex scandal last year.

Mohler, who leads the flagship school of the Southern Baptist Convention - the nation's largest evangelical denomination - took to his blog Tuesday to defend himself amid the controversy, noting that his tweet “never mentioned Judaism.”

“Rep. Weiner’s problem has to do with the fact that he is a sinner, like every other human being, regardless of religious faith or affiliation,” Mohler wrote. “Christians — at least those who hold to biblical and orthodox Christianity — believe that salvation is found through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and in him alone.”

Mohler called the controversy over his tweet “another sign of how politically incorrect biblical Christianity is becoming in our times.”

What do you think? Is Mohler simply stating Christian doctrine? Or is it improper to suggest that members of other religious traditions who are facing crises try Jesus?

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Jesus • Judaism

1. Pope on a Rope

Christianity can certainly cure him. He'll go from sending grown women pictures of his weiner to sticking it in little boys.

June 14, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  2. Brian

"GOD BLESS all Christians !"..........................................

Yes, if you can find one. Friedrich Nietzsche said "the last Christian died on the cross."

June 14, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • Pope on a Rope

Jesus was a mentally deranged Jew.

June 14, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • Tammy

I think you may be right. Most Christians today are whitewashed tomes…Hypocrites. I myself have no religion. Rather I am a child of the Most High God and will follow His Word and stand up for His teachings.

June 14, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • Tammy

Just so it is clear I was replying to Brian's post not others who must show their true intelligent level.

June 14, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • Luis Wu

Tammy – I'm guessing your intelligence level is only about 3 points higher than a rock. You live in a delusionary fantasy world. But whatever turns you on. Have fun with your invisible friends. lol.

June 14, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
    • Tammy

Luis Wu....you intrigue me. I am fascinated at how you have to lash out when you have no real point to make. You are quite interesting. Thank you.

June 14, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  3. Joshua

It is entirely appropiate, because there is only way one to know God, through the Lord Jesus Christ. Christians are commanded by God to preach the gospel to every nation, and it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about it. We answer to God, not men. The wordly people will of course get offended that anyone would question their sinful lifestyles, but one day they will stand before God to account for their wicked lives and they are going to wish they had listened while they still had time.

June 14, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • Pope on a Rope

Who commanded you to preach to your fellow man? God, or an equally delusional man?

June 14, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • Luis Wu

How utterly stupid.

June 14, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • dgt

Well then, let God do his job. Don't try to do it for him.

June 14, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • Tammy

Instead of criticizing convince me you are right. Show me how not believing has added to your life. Show me....please. I want to know.

June 14, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
    • Erm

In your opinion only. You have absolutely no way of knowing that that is true, but I am enjoying your unearned smugness!

And Tammy, for one thing, I don't go around feeling guilty about being human. Heck of a lot less stressful! Also, I don't annoy the crap out of people preaching fire and brimstone on an internet chat board. See? My life is already better!

June 14, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • Erm

"It was non-believers who crucified an innocent man. It is non-believers on this comment section who are criticizing everything anyone has to say about God or Jesus. Think about that for a minute. "

Yeah...this...no idea what sort of logic you are trying to show here...What are we supposed to be thinking about, again?

June 14, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
    • Tammy

Erm....tell me more. Besides not stressing....what else? Because frankly, I am not stressed either. I am not preaching to anyone. I am just engaging in conversation.

June 14, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
    • Joshua

I do know its true, and Christian are not trying to annoy you, they are trying to save your life. You don't understand the times we are living in, nor have you perceived the nature of the world system. Unless you repent of your sins and turn to the Lord, you will face judgement on your own merits, which are NOT good enough. There is no one good, not even one. We have all fallen short of Gods glory and that's why Jesus died for our sins. The good news is, God loves you and does not want you to be punished. He wants to give you eternal life. So turn to him before its too late!

June 14, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
  4. dgt

Moehler is an embarrassment to my faith. I am so sorry for his behavior. Not all Evangelical Christians are like this.

June 14, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
    • Joshua

You're the embarassment, apologizing for someone doing what the Lord commanded them to do. You had better take account of your life if this is the way you think about obeying the Lord.

June 14, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
    • pat

Most of the Christians I know believe Jesus would help someone like Weiner. What's wrong with telling him that (what is the great commission all about, it's not the great "omission" is it?!?)... Are you afraid to put forth your faith and to help someone know the truth (not sharing and being "politically correct" is cowardice, and not trying to ruffle someone's feathers is not the Christianity that Christ Jesus and the Apostles preached... read you bible to see...).

June 14, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • Erm

Wow, Joshua. Spoken like a true Christian. I think you need to work on being HUMBLE.

June 14, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • Tammy

It is written If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.

June 14, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • Erm

Pat...it's about having respect. Pushing your religion on someone is NOT having respect for that person and his or her beliefs. It's ANNOYING. It's the same reason I don't associate myself with PETA although I am a vegetarian and animal rights activist.

June 14, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • Erm

Tammy...it is also written, do to others what you would have them do to you. Do you like people preaching at you? Probably not. It's really scary to me when someone isn't allowed to have his own beliefs within a belief system. Makes it seem almost like...oh...idk...a cult? Humans are human. They question and have their own opinions. It's why we have brains.

June 14, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
    • Tammy

Erm...you are very insightful. I agree with you to a point. And again...I am not preaching. I am only engaging in conversation. You seem to have a lot to say. Please tell me more. How will being complacent add to my life?

June 14, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  5. Jeff A from Canada

There is nothing wrong with what these guys have done to suggest an option that may help him.
    Karin Houston, you need help. Try Jesus, or maybe a strait jacket.

June 14, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
    • Luis Wu

You should try getting a brain. Moron.

June 14, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  6. InVermont

Maybe the Christian Church should tell that to their own priests.
    Anthony Weiner's sins are tiny in comparison.

June 14, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  7. Puzzled in Peoria

Mohler has understated the case. Just read the typical comments on this article and any other Christian-related article here and see the hate.

Christians are the new Jews. Antisemitism is politically incorrect but antichristianity is rampant everywhere.

June 14, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
    • who

You do understand that the comments are in response to a Christian suggesting that his belief is better than others'?

June 14, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
    • Luis Wu

Christians just happen to be close at hand and very vocal. It's anti-RELIGION. Period. People are waking up and seeing that it's just archaic old myths and rejecting it. And it's about time.

June 14, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
    • ellen

It's has nothing to do with being anti christian, many do not want to be proselytized to. By suggesting he turn to Jesus to atone for his sins would suggest that he believe that Jesus was the Messiah which is NOT what Jews believe. Therefore, he would have to first convert to Christianity. The problem with evangelists like him is that they do not show respect to any who believe differently. As a Jew, I respect all religion and WOULD NEVER suggest that a Christian convert as their only way to fix their problems.

June 14, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
    • Erm

Right. It's not like the preacher is being obnoxious or anything...

Poor poor Christians. Why can't we go back to the days when they slaughtered people for not believing as they do?

June 14, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
  8. ast0929

Luis Wu-

you ever read the bible? And do you realize how disrespectful what you said about Jesus is?, how offensive it is to us Christians?

June 14, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
    • Luis Wu

I read both the old and new testaments from cover to cover. Total nonsense. Why should anyone have respect for ignorance and supidity?

June 14, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • Erm

Oh, grow a thicker skin, for pete's sake. Do you live your whole life being offended that someone DARED to not kiss Jesus' holy hiney?

Atheists and Agnostics tend to be MORE well-versed in scriptures than their religious counterparts, btw. You know why? We used to be Christians and got over it.

June 14, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
  9. Levite

What do I think? I think that when Rep. Weiner's ancestors were princes in Jerusalem, Rev.Mohler's were painting themselves blue and worshipping trees. The idea that Jews need to be "perfected" is insulting in the extreme; Judiasm is perfect the way it is, thank you. Rev. Mohler should remember that it was Jesus who said, "My Father has many mansions" and give up imagining he's one of the landlords.

June 14, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  10. Newjackswing

um.. jesus was actually one bad-ass jew

June 14, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  11. Tammy

God has no respect of person. He loves everyone. He sent his son to die for everyone. Religion will save no one. People need to stop being ugly with one another. What does cursing and hate add to life? Nothing! Ignorance runs rapid in these comment sections. People feel they can disrespect others without repercussions. Judgment will come one day to all those who feel that running around being ugly is okay. If you believe or if you don’t believe that is your right. Being ugly about it is ignorance at its finest.

June 14, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
    • Luis Wu

Stop blindly accepting ancient mythology as fact and get a grip on reality. It's people like you that promote ignorance. Ignorance of reality and logic and reason. There is no invisible, supernatural being in the sky. It's just old myths. It just boggles my mind why supposedly intelligent people can't understand that. This is the 21st century, not the middle ages. Intelligent people don't believe in ancient myths.

June 14, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
    • Tammy

Luis Wu....People like me? You don't even know me. With your post you validate my point. Thank you.

June 14, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
    • who

Tammy – he knows you well enough from your writings that you are among the irrational.

June 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
    • Tammy

Who...Please share with me how my views are any more irrational than yours.

June 14, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
    • Luis Wu

Tammy – He doesn't believe in invisible, supernatural beings in the sky. He's not irrational. You are. You live in a fairytale world.

June 14, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
    • Artist

Please note:
      Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that makes it difficult to tell the difference between real and unreal experiences, to think logically, to have normal emotional responses, and to behave normally in social situations.
      As the illness continues, psychotic symptoms develop:
      • False beliefs or thoughts that are not based in reality (delusions)
      • Hearing, seeing, or feeling things that are not there (hallucinations)

June 14, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
    • Erm

First of all, it's "rampant", not "rapid", and second of all, I'm so over the smug "you will be judged" bs. You're so blinded by your "faith" that you can't even see that you are acting "ugly" toward the unbelievers on here.

June 14, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
    • Tammy

Luis Wu…. Do you have to see the wind to know it is there? I never once said I believed in anything being in the sky. I am not living in a fairytale world, though I think if I did I could understand you better.

June 14, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • Tammy

Erm...I stand corrected. English is not my major.

If you believe I am acting ugly to anyone for speaking my views...for that I also stand corrected also. However, it is sad that people have to lash out at anyone who has a different viewpoint. In all my points that I have posted here, I have not lashed out at anyone. I am merely making statement which you can choose to agree or disagree with. Your choice.

June 14, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
    • Fordham Jock

@Erm
      I run rapid. I won the 10,000 Meter race last year.

June 14, 2011 at 7:57 pm |
  12. Peace would be nice.

Hey Mohler! Here's a tip from a real Christian. There are many paths to salvation – only a blind and ignorant fool tries to coerce the world into one.

June 14, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  13. ast0929

EOFOGO-

you must have posted yours while I was still writing. Good to hear it!

June 14, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
  14. Michael

"Christian leader to Weiner: Try Jesus " - Dude, don't send those types of pictures to Jesus.

June 14, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Steven

Hilarious!!!

June 14, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  15. The Dude

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eqKb5ViN_Q&w=640&h=360]

June 14, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
  16. afriend

Slightly insulting to every Jew, Muslim, Taoist, Atheist, etc out there. I'd encourage Albert Mohler, "Try suicide". It would make the world a slightly better place.

June 14, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
    • W247

How is it insulting? Someone has found a method to help them get through "difficult" times. Apparently his current method isn't working, maybe time to try something else?

June 14, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
    • Erm

It's insulting because he's JEWISH. This preacher has no respect for others' faith. He should mind his own business.
      Using a 2000 year old dead man to get through tough times...seems a little weird to me. Not to mention delusional.

June 14, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
  17. Luis Wu

How utterly stupid. How can a mythological, invisible, supernatural dead guy in the sky, help anybody? He's not real. Get a brain people.

June 14, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Joe

The same way that invisible friends of children help them. Believe it or not delusion actually does make people personally happy. Its just reaks havoc on others that don't share the delusion. I am not joking either it seems to be psychologically true that we are happier when believing whatever we want because it makes things more simple and makes feel like we have more control over our enviorment.

June 14, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
  18. John Smith

I just hope Jesus receives Wiener.

Thank you!! Goodnight Boston!!

June 14, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Luis Wu

With this guy, Jesus might receive a wiener up the wazoo.

June 14, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  19. Doug

And when that doesn't work the individual becomes frustrated and goes back to the same behavior .. He needs no know why he does what he does and go from there, An invisible man is the sky will do nothing..

June 14, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
  20. Matt

GOD BLESS all Christians !

June 14, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • Joe

..."And please, lord save us from your followers"

June 14, 2011 at 6:10 pm |