home
RSS
My Take: Overcoming the black church’s tradition of homophobia
June 15th, 2011

My Take: Overcoming the black church’s tradition of homophobia

Editor's Note: Carlton Pearson is spiritual leader and author of the The Gospel of inclusion.

By Bishop Carlton Pearson, Special to CNN

Homophobia is hardly unique to the African-American community. It’s a social malady that's due largely to the influence of fear based-theologies, particularly fundamentalist Christianity, Islam and Judaism, all of which grow out of the Abrahamic tradition.

When something or someone is perceived as being despised by someone’s God, the worshippers of that God tend to despise and hate that person or thing as well. When given the opportunity, adherents act out against them with the same violence they presume God would use. That can happen through literal violence or in other ways - including the use of comedy.

I'm referring to Tracy Morgan’s reported an anti-gay rant at a recent show, during which he said“he'd stab his son to death if he said he was gay." Morgan has apologized for the rant and this week phoned a major gay rights group, vowing to return to Tennessee to apologize to those who heard it.

Preachers, too, often issue vicious denunciations of homosexuality.

African-Americans have always viewed male homosexuality as more of a sign of weakness than evil. This stems back to slave times, when male and female slaves were randomly abused sexually, usually by men.

I heard statements from my grandfather as far back as I could remember that homosexual practices were something the "white man" taught us and that it was a sign of weakness and weirdness in their culture. He spoke of how the white man sought to humiliate strong black slaves through sexual submission and subversion. It was the white man’s perverted way of exerting power over us, my grandfather said.

The same slave owners evangelized the slaves into Christian moral codes and dogmas that insisted slaves renounce their native spiritual traditions.

In some West African traditions, particularly in the Dagara tribes of Burkina Faso, certain Shamanistic spiritual leaders - sometimes called witch doctors by Westerners - were known to be of homosexual or bisexual orientation.

They were considered to have a higher vibrational level that enabled them to be guardians of the gateways to the spirit world. They were marginalized but not demonized. Similar traditions are known to other faith traditions, even if they’re not widely discussed.

African-Americans in particular should be sensitive to the violent injustices humans can perpetrate on other humans because of fear, ignorance and hatred. The African-American church has traditionally used a kind of "don't ask don't tell" approach toward homosexuality. But once someone’s homosexuality becomes public, the denunciations begin.

Such denunciations, exemplified in Morgan's comments, can send young people into depression and even drive them to suicide.

In more than 30 years of pastoring and dealing with pastors, I have observed that often when a public figure, secular or religious, shouts out in anger about or against a particular subject, it’s usually a sign of the inner turmoil of the person crying out around that very issue. I’ve discovered that many who angrily denounce homosexuality have latent homosexual tendencies or fantasies themselves and fear them - or are actually quite conflicted about the issue.

The most troubling aspect of Tracy Morgan's remarks is the bodily harm he said he’d inflict on his own child if he were to be seen acting in an effeminate manner.

Acts of violence against perceived unacceptable behavior, particularly if the behavior isn't harmful to self and others, is a sign of the deterioration of conscience.

What we fear, including homosexuality, we tend to amplify and exaggerate. There was a time when the "white man" feared black people and were threatened by our presence. We suffered horribly because of it. How quickly we forget. What we make the issue we make the idol.

Homosexuals and homosexuality are not going away. The sooner we recognize and accept that, the sooner the society will move forward.  I encourage the African-American community and church to reconsider ways to address the presence of gay people.

We don't have to go along to get along. We can mind many of the same things without necessarily having the same mind about everything.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Bishop Carlton Pearson.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Homosexuality • Opinion

1. guest

it says in the bible not to lay with another man. god Yahweh is going to smite america if we continue throwing sand in his face and breaking the statues and commandments.

June 15, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • Mom in MA

The Bible says alot of things, like it's ok to stone your wife is you find out she's not a virgin on her wedding night. It's ok to stone your teens if they are rebellious, I really wish people would read all the other 'laws' that God commands we follow before tossing the whole it's wrong because the Bible says so crap.

June 15, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
    • KyleGlobal

I don't suppose you eat shrimp?

June 15, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
    • Guest

Yes it does say that, however if you read it in the proper context, it only is trying to reinforce the idea of multiplication of numbers, expanding the numbers of people. Since I think we have our fair share, I think Yahweh will be O.K. with it. Just out of curiosity, Orthodox Jew? Because I think the more contemporary rabbi's allow for it.

June 15, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
    • Sybaris

@ Guest.

By your logic non Christian countries or regions would have already been "smited" off the planet.

THINK!

It's all bunk and will go the way of dead religions.

June 15, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
    • Q

This is all very silly. The God of the Bible commanded men to break His own commandment, i.e. 1 Sam 15:3 vs Exodus 20:13. Not a consistent source for determining what is "right" and what is "wrong"...

June 15, 2011 at 11:31 pm |
    • Steve

@Guest,

Is there a page in the bible that instructs one how to read it in the "proper context?" Or do you just make that up as you go along as well?

June 15, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
    • Walker Black

Yahweh can eat my balls. There. I said it. Bring the lightning bolts, you non-existent sky-wizard.

June 16, 2011 at 9:19 am |
  2. foreverwar

They all should have such a deep understanding of bigotry after so many generations of personal struggle, and yet still ...all do not.

June 15, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  3. guest

Opinion : CNN stop being so obvious you are know run by gays.

June 15, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
    • foreverwar

June 15, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  4. TiredOfCryBabyRightWingers

It always seemed pretty obvious that Tracy Morgan is gay. Now there is no doubt.

June 15, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
    • John Richardson

Not sure about your theory about Tracy Morgan, tough there certainly have been many, many, MANY cases like tis, no? But I totally concur with your disdain for rightwing crybabies. Their obvious sense of victimhood in cases like this is truly inexplicable/

June 15, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  5. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why are some of you so bothered by gays? One would think to read your posts that you are forced to witness 'gay' behavior 24/7 in your life. I somehow just don't seem to see much that warrants any notice at all. I think some of you are looking for it in every corner so you can complain about it.

Just mind your own business.

June 15, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Phil

They are not "African American" - just black. I'm not "Croatian/Irish American"...just white. If you have blacks in Germany, they aren't called "African Germans"...just blacks.

June 15, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • Edward

They would probably just be called German. It's not up to you to tell people what to call themselves but since you did ... Black is not a race, it's a color. Why is it that only two races are reffered to by the color of thier skin? This line of thought originated from some racist because reffering to people by their skin color immediately pointed out their differences. Do you call Asians yellows? What do you call an Asian born American when describing one to someone you're speaking with? You call them Asian right? Why? Were they born in Asia? Would it make sense to call them yellow? Sounds ridiculous right? You would probably call a Caucasian person born in Africa an African but would you call a Caucasian person born in China Chinese or Asian? Be honest. That said, people will refer to themselves as whatever they like, deal with it and stop telling people what they should call themselves. The only people that can rightfully be called American with no hyphens are Native Americans, everyone else originated from immigrants

June 15, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • Phil

@ edward

I'm tired of blacks complaining about how we've oppressed them and how we should give them special treatment and easier tests - etc. They've oppressed themselves by not making an effort to improve their own life. It's no longer "whities" fault.

Personally, I just refer to them as Canadians. I say "look how many Canadians are out at the mall today" and they're none the wiser. 🙂

June 15, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
    • Edward

In my post I meant to say Asian born in America rather than Asian born American.

June 15, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
    • And Now It's Springtime For Hitler And Germany!

Wow Edward! You must really be bigotted against Canadians too!

June 15, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
  7. JamminCanadian

False prophet and purveyor of all that is sick with society describes the "bishop" aptly. He wants black churches to go against the Word of God so that he and his ilk can feel good about their disgusting lifestyle.

June 15, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • confounded

Why would you profess to be a man of God when your heart is so full of hatred and judgment? Men twist the words and meaning to meet their own selfish and ignorant desires. I take what God intends for me and I live within that framework. I do not judge others as I know this is not the purpose God has established for me. If others choose not to believe as I believe, so be it. This is their choice and so it is must follow that it is PART of God's plan, no? I see no point to the ugliness purveyed by so many Christians (and Christians are not alone in this portrayal of followership – there are Billions of people on this planet that believe so strongly in hate that it bubbles from every pore). But alas, this is their choice. And this is your choice. If I am to believe in God it is with 100% devotion, not at the convenience of the social pressures or a vehemently hateful interpretation of God's word.

What is between God and I is not anyone else. So why should it matter to me? It is NOT my place to judge. It is not my place to gather souls, to put notches in my belt, or to sit around on the porch taking verbal potshots at everyone outside of my circle. The only soul I am responsible for is my own. And I am not so conceited to believe that my soul is guaranteed that eternity. I am no better than any other man. I am at the mercy of my creator. But I believe that creator to be loving, not the hateful and spiteful creature that many have tried to emulate.

If you choose not to accept a man in your house based on his choices, that is your choice. I will not turn a man away because of his choices. I will not judge a man because of those choices or the position he finds himself in. I do not know God's will. If I am to believe in the plan, I must also believe that every soul and creation is a part of this plan. And if I am to believe in the power of God, I must believe that he would have the power to prevent such behavior if he abhorred it so greatly. You either believe or you don't. My belief is my business. Your belief is yours.

June 15, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • John Richardson

I have to admit to taking some odd comfort in knowing that not all of the pinheaded bigots living in North America live in the United States ...

June 15, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  8. FailmcFailerson

Religion is like a penis.
    It's fine to have one.
    It's fine to be proud of it.
    But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
    And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my children's throats.

June 15, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What is being "shoved down anyone's throat"?

You think it is wrong to teach children not to hurt or bully someone else?

Some parent you must be.

June 15, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
    • BobFromPA

That was pretty insightful.

June 15, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • michael

You are so right. The worse part is we give them tax breaks. I would much rather see penises than religious people knocking on my door with their bibles.

June 15, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
    • CommonSense

@Tom ... You can't teach your children how to be decent individuals without the premise of a religion?? Seriously??? That's exactly what the OP means about shoving religion "down throats."

June 16, 2011 at 12:56 am |
  9. JamminCanadian

Is there surprise that the church is now under attack by these degenerates and perverts? BLACK (AND ALL OTHER REAL CHRISTIAN )CHURCHES, STAND STRONG AGAINST THE ATTACK OF PERVERTS IN THE MEDIA AND ELSEWHERE.

June 15, 2011 at 9:59 pm |
    • FailmcFailerson

"degenerates and perverts"

– Last I checked scripture, hate and judgment weren't things God gave man.

June 15, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
    • atomD21

@FailMcFailerson...Yeah, but apparently Jesus telling us not to judge others and to love them doesn't actually mean anything. The culture of hatred is a cancer in the church and the world.

June 15, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • BobFromPA

And your common sense prevails again FailmcFailerson!

June 15, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  10. HeIsGod

Reality Check

"there would be no war, hunger, hate, and judgment." If there are seven billion people, but only enough food for 4 billion, you think every single one of them turning to god would change the situation? Do you believe in the tooth fairy too?

@ Reality Check –
    Do you think that seven billion people will go without food if they trusted God for their needs? It’ is written, “God shall PROVIDE all of my needs according to His riches and glory.” When God lead Israel from Egypt into the desert, manna came from heaven and water from a rock to care for this people. Another words, He will make a way out of no way for us IF only we believe and trust God. You atheists need to have a REALITY CHECK, you will see God for yourselves after you die, it will too late now. God is here for us to seek and know.

June 15, 2011 at 9:51 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Correction, that 3 million people will starve from 7 billion?

June 15, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
    • Jason

There are people that starve everyday that believe in God. How about all those people that pray for an end to war and world hunger. When are those prayers getting answered? IF someone you know gets sick do you pray for them to get better? Do they always get better? No. I am so sick and tired of people telling everyone that they just need to believe and God will answer their prayers. Do you think parents with terminally ill children pray that their child will get healthy? Pray all you want. I choose to go out and make things happen myself.

June 15, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
    • atomD21

@Jason... You are more in line with what Christians should be doing than you realize. the Bible never instructs us to pray and sit on our butts waiting for God to just fix everything. Quite the contrary. we are supposed to pray and act. The task of fixing this place we broke was given to us.

June 15, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
    • forme

God will not change the state of a person until that person try to change him/herself and make the effort to change. God said if you take one step towards me, i'll be running towards you. the person has to try and strive for it first, you have to make the effort first. God will not provide your sustenance while you sitting on the sofa. you go fill out the application, whether you get hired or not is up to God. First you bury the seed, whether it grows or not it up to GOD

June 15, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • forme

sometimes you might feel something is bad for you but it might be good for you and sometimes you might feel something is good for you and it might be bad for you.

June 15, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  11. brown

Bunch of focking bigots!

June 15, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
  12. Steve Campbell

Why should the church include those who practice what the Bible calls sodomy here on earth when God will ultimately exclude them from his kingdom in heaven.

June 15, 2011 at 9:48 pm |
    • Ryan

Maybe he will exclude people who contradict HIS word with their own selfish, self-hating clonclusions.

June 15, 2011 at 9:51 pm |
    • Jason

Steve, wake up, there is no heaven, there is no God, and there is no Santa Claus. In 2000 years what proof do you have that there is a God? None, there is absolutely no proof. You may as well believe in Zues or Ra. Religions are a farce and the reason that 90% of wars have been fought in history. Funny that all these religions of peace are the cause of wars.

June 15, 2011 at 9:55 pm |
    • Samuel

Because Jesus Himself said "love your neighbor as yourself". That says it all for me. I'm very sorry you think a church is some sort of social club where bigotry and exclusion should be practiced.

June 15, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
    • Gavin Boothroyd

Firstly are you sure that the understanding of Sodom and Gomorrah is correct?

Even if it was, we will make God include them in heaven.

June 15, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
    • atomD21

Why do we preach that God's love only extends to the living? Is it every man for himself in the after life?

June 15, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  13. fred

i didn't bother reading the entire article after he compared some preachers' sermons to morgan's "I'd kill my son..." rant.

June 15, 2011 at 9:46 pm |
    • Thinker

Why not. Its all the same. If some of these sick preachers had their way, the concentration camps and gas ovens would be back.

June 15, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
    • michael

fred, why are you replying when you haven't finished reading the article. Are you that proud of your ignorance that you have to share that with the rest of us. If you don't understand the comparison, maybe you should reread the whole article.

June 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  14. cjygudwin

They also tend to hate Jewish People and Asians. People who carry hate in thier hearts aren't true Christians. Just common bigots.

June 15, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
    • Edward

"They" is a pretty broad term, watch how you use it please. That is a sincere request.

June 15, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
    • Rob

Right-wing evangelicals worship Jews and Israel, or haven't you noticed?

June 15, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  15. Edward

It makes sense that the most religious racial group in America would be the most ho mo phobic. The only reason African Americans are so religious is because it's culturally passed down from a time when they had to believe in something because it was the only refuge they had. It's ironic though that the people that stand by "god" the most are the ones that have had the most hard ships. If there was ever proof that "god" doesn't exist or if he exists then he doesn't care, that would be it.

June 15, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
    • Edward

By the way I'm not saying that god doesn't exist. I think that unless we can confirm that it's possible for something to originate from nothing the notion that god doesn't exist can't be confirmed either.

June 15, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  16. Bobo

Everyone of every race will eventually understand the equality of all people if society would stop telling them how to feel and judge.

June 15, 2011 at 9:42 pm |
  17. keefah

Why can't being against ho_mo_s_exuality just be a stance taken based on moral conviction? Why if I'm against ho_mo_s_exuality am I automatically ho_mo_"phobic"? I call a bull's feces on that, man.

June 15, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
    • RealQuestion Is

The real question is: Why can't being against he_ter_os_exuality just be a stance taken from one's own conviction rather than to always be forced to accept their way of living and being? And seeing their divorce rate, pro-mis-cuity, her-pes con-tagions, un-wanted pregnancies resulting in un-wanted babies and let's not forget that it is *Straight* parents who bre-ed G-ay and Le-s-b-ian children! Not everyone is created equal you know. But there are none so blind as those who Will Not see and who just love to be haters thinking they're so pure at heart themselves! But we've got News for you!

June 15, 2011 at 9:53 pm |
    • K.C.

@Real Quesntion Is HAHAHA. YOU'RE A SC_REAM!

June 15, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
    • Frogist

@keefah: Because that is the definition of hom-ophobia.

June 16, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • Bucky Ball

Why ? Because sir, it's a position of ignorance. Have you ever taken one course on human se-xuality, or biology ? Same se-x behaviors exist across a vast range of behaviors, and are observed in human subjects, (as well as insects, birds, fish, mammals, reptiles, etc., etc., indeed every specie on the planet Earth), who may or may not self-identify as "straight", "bise-xual", or "gay". "Being against" it, is like "being against" people who sneeze. Ever heard of the Bell curve ? ......
      I didn't think so.

June 16, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • Juggling Squirrel-Jesus

I HATE people who sneeze. Also, people that don't cover there mouth when they cough. Evil, everyone of them. Filthy, disease spreading mongrels. My interpretation of the scripture clearly shows their evil ways go against the Natural Law. May the burn forever in eternal torture.

Gay people I have no problem with.

June 16, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • keefah

If I believe that the practice of ho_mo_se_xuality is purely an immoral lifestyle choice, these responses are irrelevent, and it has nothing to do with being "phobic." I'm not scared of ho_mo_se_xuality, I'm not ignorant of human se_xuality nor biology, I don't believe human beings can be categorized with the rest of the animals because humans are self-aware and aware of morality, I don't hate ho_mo_se_xuals, I don't think I'm pure at heart, I'm not comparing ho_mo_se_xuality with het_ero_se_xuality (and I know het_ero_se_xuals commit all kinds of immorality as well), .... the bottom line is I believe ho_mo_se_xuality is immoral and participation in it is a choice. And there is no argument against that, sorry. It's nothing to do with fear. All ya'lls ignorance is automatically judging my position as one of fear or ignorance. It is neither. It is a spiritual belief, against which you have no stance other than your own opinion.

June 17, 2011 at 5:25 am |
  18. Mike

So, is the idea that I have to welcome my nephew and his "patner" into my house with open arms so that they can demonstrate what real love is?
    And soon the laws will change so that I will be forced to do business with gay couples or be sued?
    And, I wn't be able to say anything anti-gay. I'll be sent to jail for discriminating.
    And yes, some religiuos people "hate" gays because of what their religion teaches. Others, like me, just find repugnant. I have no interest palying host to roaches.

June 15, 2011 at 9:34 pm |
    • Shad DupAlready

Host to roaches? Well, coming from the head varmint, what would you expect? It takes one foul critter to know another! Now!

June 15, 2011 at 9:40 pm |
    • Peter C. Paulin

Wow...I've never commented on CNN.com, but your remarks really sickened me....I mean wow. How a person can be this ignorant and this hateful is beyond me.

I feel extremely sorry for your nephew and his partner that they have such an ogre of an uncle. Please die soon.

June 15, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
    • amigay

If you don't want roaches then clean your house.

June 15, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
    • Peter

Mike you must be fighting some demons. Those that protest the most... Embrace your inner gay and be happy.

June 15, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
    • JamminCanadian

host to roaches. Well said!

June 15, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
    • wow

I'm willing to bet you're secretly gay. Does the thought of a man turn you on and are you so ashamed you lash out at others? Hopefully you can find some peace with yourself.

June 15, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
    • John Richardson

You don't have to welcome anyone into your home – with open arms or otherwise – who doesn't already live there and hence have a legal right to be there. But you just might find that if you DO welcome your nephew and his partner into your home, you will indeed learn what true love really is, once you start feeling it once again for a young man who has done you no wrong and who simply wishes that no one do him or his partner any wrong. Think about it. And if you do go ahead and welcome them in, don't make their se-xual orientation what the visit is about. Talk to them about other things. Things that interest all of you. That you all care about. You will quickly learn how irrelevant anyone's se-xual orientation is to 99.9% of what actually matters in life.

June 15, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • JamminCanadian

June 15, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • Jason B

This may surprise you, but your nephew and his partner show much more true love than you. You broadcast hatred, they broadcast love.

June 15, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • K.C.

Hey Mike–watch out. Maybe your nephew will be the one picking out your nursing home in a few years!

June 15, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
    • Stevie7

"JamminCanadian
      Mike, long before I entered the church I dispised that filthy diseased behaviour so I understand where you're coming from. Stay strong amidst the evil around you trying to pollute your mind."

-----------

Which one would you be – the pot or the kettle. Comments like these are representative of evil, filthy, diseased behavior. You have such hatred in your heart, yet you call yourself a Christian?

June 16, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  19. Thomas

In the sense that "racism is the practice of the different treatment of certain a group or groups", then I am a racist. I expect more from black people in this country on this subject. If anyone, black people should know by the pain and sacrifice of their ancestors who could only– if even-dream of a day when they could have equal access to the potentials present in this country, that bigotry is wrong and has terrible consequences. Yet, when Prop 8 was on the ballot in California it was black voters who overwhelmingly voted against the right of gay people to marry. The historic turnout of these voters, ironically, was due to Mr. Obama's running. I think the only 'good' in having to do thru such discrimination is the grace that you know how you would NOT treat others.

June 15, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
    • CalgarySandy

It is ethnocentrism when it is directed at a culture rather than a race. It is still a form of prejudice or bigotry but rarely as virulent.

June 15, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Thomas. One of the issues of that stance, ....that African Americans should understand what it is like...

I think this line of reasoning or path to understanding is where the pro-LGBT side lost their footing in the African American Community. There could have been other routes or angles that they could have taken but they choose this one. One of the main issues is that even though folks accept LGBT, many still feel it is a choice. They are cool to not look down on folks because of what they feel is a choice but at the same time they feel that at the end of the day it is a choice.

I say the end of the day because I heard a African American talk show once cover this and a guest speaker said that the LGBT community could not be the same as the A.American community because if someone came along and said they were "rounding up" all the LGBT members of society ... they can hide their lifestyle. If the same happened to the A.American community there is no where to hide. Most African Americans can not hide that they are such and since the same can not be held to the LGBT community I always felt many A.Americans were sorta turned off by the comparisons.

They should have just made the argument without the attempts of comparison.

June 15, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • Frogist

@Mark: I think the idea that being gay is a choice has to go. It is a completely baseless claim and does not matter in the least. Hinging all of whether you accept someone on whether they choose to be 'abnormal' in someone else's eyes, is just high school. People are different. They aren't hurting anyone. We should just get past it.

You do have a point that it's easier to hide 'gayness' than skin color. But I don't understand why that would turn off black people from recognising the similarities of the fight for civil rights. Is it jealousy? People were scrutinised for how dark or light-skinned they were (and still are to some extent) and one's lineage was used as proof of their worth. But it's not like people who were light-skinned and could pass for white never took advantage of that to escape the prejudice. Much like women who could disguise themselves as men to gain admission into male only areas. That does not then justify ignoring the similarities of struggle between gays and blacks. Civil rights are civil rights. Black people, women, even christians etc all shared the same struggle and faced the same perception that they were lesser human beings. To pass that on, knowing someone shares that history oneself is pretty hypocritical.

June 16, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  20. PotCalling KettleBlack

It is quite obvious that Blacks should be the very last race to practice prejudice and discrimination against G-ays and Le-sb-ians being that they were once treated as second-class citizens themselves and in some parts still are! They shouldn't forget!

June 15, 2011 at 9:30 pm |
    • TONY WHITESIDE

I DO BELIEVE THAT PROP # 8 WOULD HAVE PASS HAD THE LAW WAS WRITTEN CORRECTLY AS IN IS IT ILLEGAL FOR
      2 PEOPLE HAD THE RIGHT, TO LIVE THE WAY THEY WISH, AS LONG AS IT DID NOT BROTHER ANYONE ELSE AS IN LAW, RELIGION, LIVING IN SAME HOUSE ETC. THIS LAW WAS SEATTLE IN 1964 CIVIL RIGHTS AS TO BLACK AND WHITE TOGETHER.
      TONY WHITESIDE