home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Nico

I get so disgusted when people decide to speak for God. It is the most ungodly thing there is!

June 15, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • Todd

Oh please. You get used to it. I have rights taken away because people tell me God wants it like that. Just the other day, 2 gay kids were barred from a public pool because God wants it that way.

People seem to profess they know that God exists and they know how God thinks.

Me? I'm just a ticked off Jew in DC.

June 15, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • Brent

Don't listen.

June 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • bashaleebee

It was meant to be a personal note. She didn't write it to be a God Authoritarian or claiming to be God's prophet ... like that idiotic Walsh guy who wrote the "Conversations with God". There are real issues to criticize Palin on and this isn't one of them. And no, I'm not a Tea Party person. I'm a liberal and a happy agnostic.

June 15, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • Jesus

There's a fortune to be made if you say with certainty that God spoke to you. Just look at the lavish lifestyles of the televangelists, traveling religion hucksters, and the Joel Osteens out there.

June 15, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
    • mb2010a

Jesus: You forgot the most blatantly obvious one...Joseph Smith of the Mormon group.

June 16, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  2. TOdd

This just proves that she is nuts and someone for Gods sake rescue Trig from this moron.

June 15, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • SilverHair

Why do we have to accept this nut? What a waste of our time.

June 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • Jesus

She is not nuts! She may be a dim wit, but she is very shrewd. She made a fortune in tapping into the evangelical Christian dolts out there. Those fools will pay a large chunk of their income to have their narrow minded beliefs affirmed by somebody in government.

June 15, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
  3. BS

So lame

June 15, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • TOdd

her whole family is lame

June 15, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  4. Jim (retired AF colonel)

At least she writes a heck of a lot better than she speaks! Or maybe she had her ghost-writer do it.

June 15, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • guest

all i got from this post is that sara palin is god

June 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • GTA

You're assuming that she wrote it. I would expect that even Sarah Palin knows how to cut-and-paste....

June 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • Average Joe

All I got from this E-mail is that she loves her kid. While she clearly isn't competent to be the Chief Executive of the United States of America, give her a dang break.

June 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Patrick

Average Joe,

I'LL BET YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT:

SARAH PALIN – Former Executive CEO Governor of Alaska ran an organization with more Employees and Revenue than:

Bank of Ireland (Ireland), Johnson Matthey (England), Saras SpA (Italy), Newmont Mining (US), Visa (US), Banco Popular Espanol (Spain), Weyerhaeuser (US), Virgin Media (US), Hershey (US), Mastercard (US), Harley Davidson (US), Charles Schwab (US), Hermes Apparel (France)

That is impressive stuff folks. No matter where you live.

June 15, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • Seorsa

She ran it for two years and quit

June 16, 2011 at 10:14 am |
  5. blake

Gallup polling indicates that 92% of Americans believe in God. Interesting how the 8% tend to dominate the postings with CNN and are consistently leftist in their political ideology. Hmmm.

June 15, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • whatsthedif

You're assuming liberals don't believe in God. Now that is really lame. How self righteous and narrow can you be?

June 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • JoeB

That's interesting because I've seen polls that say that up to 35% of Americans DON'T believe in god.

June 15, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • Mildred the Mouth

99.9 % of Europeans believed the world was flat. They were wrong too.

June 15, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Xuxun

Blake, there's a big difference between believing in God, and shaping the lives of other people because by virtue of that belief. So chill it, k?

June 15, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • God

Blake, this is God, please don't make up statistics about me.

June 15, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • Brent

That's because most liberals are hypocrites.

June 15, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • Alli Oop

Not surprising. Atheists tend to be more educated.

June 15, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • minimoo

And then there are those of us who fall into that 92% who realize that almost nothing that the Republican party stands for aligns with what is written in the Bible. Just because we can see that Sarah Palin is no Christian, though she claims to be (ask people in her hometown the last time they saw her in church), doesn't mean we don't believe in God, that we aren't Christians ourselves, or that we're "lefties," "socialists," or any other label people like to slap on us.

June 15, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • Lyn

minimoo-

In regard to your comment about Sarah Palin not being a Christian because "ask people in her hometown the last time they saw her in church"...

I consider myself a Christian, yet I haven't been to Church in over a year and before that it was probably longer...I didn't realize they could kick you out of the Christian club for that! Someone should have told me that I had to attend church for everyone else to consider me a Christian. Shucks!

June 15, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • Jesus

Errr, you're misquoting every poll out there. Depending on the poll, 14-17% of our volting populace are either irreligious (i.e. don't subscribe to ANY religion), atheists, or agnostics. .

June 15, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
  6. Frogist

I found most of the email very sweet and touching. It's obvious that a Down Syndrome child is a difficult thing for any parent to deal with, and this was her way of dealing with it and trying to gently explain things to her friends and family. After all, she does keep repeating phrases like, "I only want the best for you" and "I'm giving you only the best". Sounds like her faith was being tried and she was really trying to convince herself that things were going to be ok for her and her family. I personally think speaking in the voice of God is arrogant in any situation. But I think as long as she didn't really think God was actually writing this email, I don't see much harm. Oddly it makes her seem somewhat human, not the shambling joke she is in most of her interviews etc. But at the same time it makes her seem so dissociated with the reality of her situation that it's almost schizophrenic. Like the situation was so much for her to handle that she had to turn to another personality to say the words she needed to hear.
    Interesting insight into the Palin personality.

June 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • Average Joe

Great post!

You are wasting it in this forum, though. 98% of the people writing in on this topic are hateful idiots. I get the same feeling from the libs posting their tripe on this issue, that I got when the repubs were hammering Michelle Obama for promoting healthy eating habits among school children. Thier ghastly personal attacks on her pushed me over the edge into INDEPENDENT VOTER LAND (I'd been a Republican for 22 years prior).

Age of Reason, please come back......

June 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Frogist

Thanks Average Joe. I don't really understand the need for personal attacks either. It usually means the attacker has found nothing concrete to disagree with IMO. Thanks again.

June 15, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  7. max

FairGarden

I know God is real because he does talk to me.
    More prozac please

June 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • Xuxun

Heard about split-personality? Makes me wonder when people believes they heard the voice of God...

June 15, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • Jesus

Religious dogma requires a mental disorder to be believed.

June 15, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
  8. meccano

I am glade that Ms. Palin has taken such a positive view of her son Trig. I hope that is willing to consider her "email from God" in regards to what is "perfect" or even "normal" when looking at ALL of God's creations by wholly and vocally supporting marriage equality in this country.

June 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • Frogist

@meccano: I was thinking that when I read that part too.

June 15, 2011 at 1:24 pm |

@ meccano

You said in your post,"in regards to what is "perfect" or even "normal" when looking at ALL of God's creations by wholly and vocally supporting marriage equality in this country."

God did not create the h-o-m-o-s-e-x-ual lifestyle choice...yes thats right I said choice...People who choose this lifestyle are no more born that way than an acoholic or drug user is born that way. So what is "normal" to God is not what society or you say is normal...it is what He says it is and He makes it quite clear in His word that for a man to lay with a man as he does with a woman is an abomination...These are not my words but His...if you have a problem with what His word says, take it up with Him...But don't say that Sarah Palin should treat what the bible calls an abomination the same as her down syndrome child which God also says in his word that he would use to shame the wise..."for he will use the foolish things of this world to shame the wise..." And most people of your particular bent seem to think that someone with down syndrome is "foolish" or not cognitive of the world they live in...

June 15, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • meccano

It is nice to have opinions, but the they are just that aren't they. My point is clear (and factually supported through research) that people are born gay, and if you believe in God, that the creator made his gay children this way. I am sorry that you disagree, but perhaps you should consider "God's" own email to Ms. Palin, "But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway?"

June 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • God

@doesnt matter

exactly which kind of pen did God write the bible with, a Bic or PaperMate?

June 15, 2011 at 2:09 pm |

@meccano

You say,"It is nice to have opinions, but the they are just that aren't they." As I stated in my post, this is not my opinion but God's word...
      You go on to say,"My point is clear (and factually supported through research) that people are born gay" This supposed "research" that you speak of is just an opinion as well, because I can show you just as many "research" papers that proclaim the opposite, furthermore I can give you the testimony of hundreds of former gay people who have repented and acknowledge that it is in fact a choice they made...

As for the remainder of you post,"and if you believe in God, that the creator made his gay children this way. I am sorry that you disagree, but perhaps you should consider "God's" own email to Ms. Palin, "But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway?"
      God would not make a person in direct conflict with his laws, he made us with free will and gives us choices, what we do with them is up to us, if we choose sin we choose death, if we choose righteousness we choose life...This is not an opinion this is God's word and regardless of what you believe God's word is fact...

June 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • Gayalltheway!

@Doesn't matter

June 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm |

@god

You said in your post,"exactly which kind of pen did God write the bible with, a Bic or PaperMate?" I wasn't going to respond to your moronic question but I'm feeling very indulgent today so here goes...The ten commandments were written by God's finger into the two stones that Moses brought down from the mountain...as for the bible it was God's direct inspiration that caused the men and women who penned the bible to write what they wrote...As I've stated numerous times today belief has little to do with what is real....something is real whether we believe in it or not...your lack of faith does not change the fact of God's existence...

June 15, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • meccano

Doesn’t matter, my God doesn’t consider his own children abominations and doesn’t allow himself to be used by his people as a way to discriminate and hate. I completely understand that your God does and as such, has a long history of being used to discriminate and hate gays, blacks, women et al, but of the two, I’m gonna stick with mine. I get to hate a lot less people that way!

June 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm |

@Gayalltheway!

You say in your post"God did create gay people, gay animals. The truth is out that gays are born this way which is why this is a civil rights issue now – equal rights under that law – that includes marriage. Peace from a fellow saved christian."

June 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • Stevie7

@Doesn't Matter:
      "If you believe what you wrote then you are decieved and the truth is not in you....for the bible says,"if we say we know Jesus and continue to sin then we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.""

-------–

June 15, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • Xuxun

You are referring to the same God that destroyed mankind because of their sins... Noah and his Ark came to mind. So He made a few mistakes?

June 15, 2011 at 2:40 pm |

@meccano

I didn't say the person was an abomination, the sin was...God doesn't hate anyone, He loves everyone, what God hates is sin...what other people have done in the past under the banner of religon does not neagte what God's word says...if you choose to discriminate against me because of the truth I speak from the bible perhaps you should examine yourself for you are no different than what you accuse me of being and as for your last statement...I have never once stated in any post that I hated anyone....

@Stevie7

You said,"The same unrighteous reasoning was used in trying to prohibit inter-racial marriage. Using religion as an excuse for bigotry rarely works out well in the long run."

As I said to meccano above, what some people do or say about God does not negate His truth or His word...God is not responsible for the right or wrong choices we make, we are...when someone uses God's word for wrong purposes they will answer for it...I have sympathy for the people who have had attrocites committed on them under the banner of religion, but God is not to blmae and His word remains Truth whether we accept it or reject it...

June 15, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • God

@ doesn't matter

a moron misses the point...never questioned the existence of God. The assertion by man, that words written by man, are the words of God is in question. And the account of the existence of those Ten Commandments was written by man as well. As far as words being inspired by God, thats all well and good, but that does not make them the words OF God.

June 15, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • GayAllTheWay

"If you believe what you wrote then you are decieved and the truth is not in you....for the bible says,"if we say we know Jesus and continue to sin then we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."'

Being gay is not a sin but prosti*tution is, Jesus loves me!

June 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm |

@Xuxun

June 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • Frogist

@Doesn't Matter:
      Rail against the gays all you like, just keep it in you own personal space. Your religion-based bigotry should have nothing to do with the laws of the land and the equal treatment of all our citizens. Besides, your kind are falling by the wayside. The next generation wants nothing to do with your anti-gay hate: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/09/survey-millennials-echo-parents-on-abortion-much-more-supportive-of-gay-marriage/

June 15, 2011 at 2:53 pm |

@GayAllTheWay

Being gay is not a sin but prosti*tution is, Jesus loves me!

June 15, 2011 at 2:53 pm |

@Frogist

__________________________________________

Once more for the cheap seats: neither God nor myself hate gay people! You are so quick to jump in my face for saying what the bible says about being gay...I didn't write the bible! If you think it's okay to tell someone they are wrong for killing someone then what is the difference in telling someone that their destructive lifestyle is wrong and contrary to God's word? And as for spouting hatred, you are the one who seems to hate people who don't agree with your opinion because as I stated in an earlier post I have never said I hate gay people, saying something is wrong is not saying you hate the person who does it....as for your comment about religion...you are aware you are in a religion blog right?

June 15, 2011 at 2:59 pm |

@God

It is no more in question than any other assertion made by man....evolution...theroy of realitivity....existence of life other than humans...

June 15, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Stevie7

"Doesn't matter
      @Xuxun

-------------

And what about the children, infants, and the unborn. You god makes innocents suffer for the mistakes of others? Wow, some god...

June 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • GayAllTheWay

"Yes Jesus does love you, but if you are actively gay then yes it is a sin and you need to repent of your disobedience the same as any other sinner..."

Being gay is not a sin that's where you are wrong.

June 15, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Artist

Doesn't Matter- "As I stated in my post, this is not my opinion but God's word."
      Wow...reality check...it is your opinion that the writings of man are your god's word. What next...god talks to you?

June 15, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Artist

Doesn't matter

@God

____________________________________

Now you are getting it.
      Faith – Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
      Man wrote your bible and you have faith in what these men wrote. The origin/core of your faith is in man. Your faith starts in man.

June 15, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • Iconoclast

@Doesn't Matter, Your assertion that the Bible is the "real word of god" is a BELIEF, it does not make it true. To continually use a book written by ancient people without the benefit of modern scientific knowlege to oppress segments of society that you or the piece of fiction you run your life (and want to run others') by deem unworthy makes you just as bad as the fanatical jihadists. And points out the fallacy and danger of religion in general. I am not gay myself, but I know a lot of gay people, and THEY DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE in the matter, no matter what you Mythology tells you.

June 15, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Wow

"No He did not, the people that were destroyed made their choices and they reaped the consequences..."

So innocent children, animals, plants, etc had to die – seriously you believe this crap? Oh, that's right men wrote it not a God which is why the logic in it is so flawed!

June 15, 2011 at 3:11 pm |

@Stevie7

________________________

God judges the heart...the end of your life on earth is not the end of existence...the children and infants and unborn you mentioned, God would judge their hearts...

@GayAllTheWay

Being gay is not a sin that's where you are wrong.
      _______________________________________

Show me in scripture where it says it's okay to be gay...

@Artist

____________________________________________________________________

Not an opinion...fact, and actually God does speak to me in my heart and my spirit...

June 15, 2011 at 3:14 pm |

@Iconlast

I have met several gay people who disagree with you...take it up with them...

June 15, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • God

@doesn't matter

my mistake, i should have been more clear.

my point is that I never questioned the existence of God. I know God exists. My "which pen" question, questions the insistence that the bible is the word of God.

believing in God requires faith, believing that the bible is the word of God defies logic, as God has no hands. or do you insist that he is humaniod?

June 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • meccano

Doesn't matter, In no way shape or form have or suggested anyone discriminate against you. If you have a victim mentality than you may have misinterpreted my intention. I understand your ability to justify your hatred and discrimination by compartmentalizing your personal feelings and interpretation of the word of God, but I just don't agree with you, period. Unfortunately, yours is that same type of justification that has lead to the past discrimination and hatred in the name of God that I previously reference. It is my opinion then that you are merely advancing that unfortunate cause with a different group of people. It seems rather obvious to me and I understand that you don't see it that way. In terms of my sins, I am fully ready and accepting of my God’s judgment upon my eternal soul. Your judgment of same? No.

June 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • Stevie7

@Doesn't Matter: "Your point is moot...this is why it is called Faith...and each one of the examples I listed above require just as much faith as is required to believe in God if not more..."

------

Your lack of knowledge of these principles, and of science in general is sorely lacking. Zero faith is required. Science is based upon evidence. There is overwhelming evidence for all the scientific theories you posted. Or do you also think that one must have "faith" in gravity.

June 15, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Stevie7

@Doesn't matter: "Show me in scripture where it says it's okay to be gay..."
      -------
      Show me in the scripture where it says it's ok to eat pork or shellfish? Or do you believe that all those who eat pork and shrimp are living in sin and must repent as well?

June 15, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • Artist

Doesn't matter

@Stevie7

________________________

@GayAllTheWay

Being gay is not a sin that's where you are wrong.
      _______________________________________

Show me in scripture where it says it's okay to be gay...

@Artist

____________________________________________________________________

----------
      Lol your denial of reality is entertaining. So do you "hear" his voice?

June 15, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • Stevie7

@Doesn't matter

"The fact that there are so many reponses to my posts shows the animosity that you all share in your disdain for the Truth..."
      ----------–
      I disdain religion used as an excuse to justify ignorance, bigotry, and hatred.

June 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • GayAllTheWay

"Gay means you enjoy getting your anus stretched and your rectum pushed in."

That's why some husbands do this to their wives too right. LOL!

June 15, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Oops

The fact you wrote this shows you have on giant ego. So crucified..cough cough...HeavenSent why are you hiding behind yet another name. LOL!

June 15, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • GayAllTheWay

"Show me in scripture where it says it's okay to be gay..."

The point is gay as we know it today is not in the scriptures it was added later, the other scriptures are talking about prosti*tution.

God created and loves us for being gay so we could bring the truth to everyone. I am so blessed by God for having such a loving husband and we just got approved to adopt!

June 15, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • meccano

Gayalltheway is my hero! If adopting a child that needs a loving family doesn't get a first class ticket to heaven then I don't know what does.

Save your breath @Doesn't matter! Not into Gays adopting? Then make sure straight people stop having kids they can't raise! Sorry, but the whole gay adoption argument is mute as long as there are all these kids desperate for loving homes.

June 15, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • Frogist

@Doesn't Matter: When you compare gay people with drug addicts and call them 'abominations', that's hate. You can dress it up anyway you like. And using the bible to justify that hate is just pathetic. There are many, many Christians who absolutely disagree with you. They've chosen the enlightened path. One day I hope you join them.

June 15, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • Leo

@ Doesnt Matter:
      "Blessed are they who are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye when men shall revile you and persecute you, and say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad; for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you." [Matthew 5:10-12]

June 15, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • Jesus

As sson as she knew that the child was not going to be mentally intact, she insisted on naming him after Roy Rodger's horse, Trigger. She e-mailed that with her low intelligence level clipped down by a few points, somebody will ride that boy all day and put him away wet....just like Trigger.

June 15, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
  9. CatholicMom

Thanks, Sarah, for your love letter [to the world, really!]. Hopefully people will look at Down’s Syndrome in a different light.

Actually Trig is closer to perfection than what most people think of as perfection! Matthew 18:3 And said: Amen I say to you, unless you be converted, and become as little children, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

June 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
  10. Angelina

So this is how she spent her time in the Alaska governor's office, using public time and equipment writing personal emails? This isn't "going rogue." This is ripping off the tax payers. She doesn't believe in big government, but surely believes in government for me, me, me. Well, at least she quit. Hopefully she'll repeat this and quit again, cease and desist from tormenting the public with her latest me-me-me publicity. Has this woman no shame???

June 15, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
    • Shawn

Angelina, you are truly an idiot.

June 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • fred

Glad you can tell which account this email came from because not all were from the Government account. So let's see it cost the taxpayers less than .003 cents (based on most recent Alaska cost audits) if she did use a government account. So you are ticked about something else and found a compasionate letter from a mom as a nice target. I take it you are a democrat? That would also explain the irrational burst of uncontrolled emotion.

June 15, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • RUs

Nice try, fat head. The emails released by Alaska were composed both on her home and office computer. That was one of the features of the FOIA request that took some wading through. Or maybe you do not read well enough to have followed that.

Aside from CatholicMom and maybe one or two others, the collective IQ of you other posters (who are obvious sufferers of Palin Derangement Syndrome) would not severely challenge that of the Palin family goldfish.

June 15, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • doublestandard

I agree Angelina...now get back to work.

June 15, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • RUs

@doublestandard...not bad. Not bad, at all.

June 15, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • molinelobo

why didn't this letter get redacted? Why was anything redacted? If she has nothing to hide, show them all. And yes troll nation, all of her emails are public property. She decided to do government business on non government sites, they are all fair game.

June 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • FellowChristian

Yes doing person stuff at work while getting paid is called stealing! So, is taking home office supplies – it's stealing. Now repent for your sins and get back to work!

June 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • Frogist

Seriously, we all send personal emails from work. It's no big deal. Just hope fred and the other anti-democrat posters take the same stance about Anthony Weiner as well.

June 15, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • Suni

You sound like one sorry ass who is constipated with hatred!! get yourself checked...LOL!

June 15, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  11. johnmenacherjr

She needs a mormon like Romney!

June 15, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Jesus

God spoke to the President of the Mormon Church in 1978 and said that colored folks were now accepted, but if they really really were righteous, they'd turn white. Love those Mormons!!!

June 15, 2011 at 7:40 pm |
  12. Hannah

WOW. I must say, Sarah Palin is certainly presumptuous. Her appallingly high self-regard continues to amaze me. That and her total lack of shame for being so ignorant.

June 15, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
    • twiddly

Well, who better to "speak for god" than Sarah Palin?
      I'm sure god told to her quit the governorship half way through too.
      And to take a bus tour... and to spout right-wing talking points on faux news.. and to shoot animals from helicopters... and...

June 15, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Hannah,
      What is it that you are referring to, with your comment of… ‘total lack of shame for being so ignorant’….?

June 15, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  13. vlad

what God says, should cousins marry?

June 15, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
  14. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

And while Sarah and the former "First Dude" were traveling around in their Fox News paid for bus, who was taking care of Trig? You know, the special needs child this "e-mail from God" was all about.

June 15, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
    • Artist

Joe from CT, not Lieberman

------------–
      Well lets see her as a "mother"...one o fher children got knocked up in her teens. One has to wonder if she is really present in her children's lives? I am not seeing high marks as a mother here. I am seeing selfish/career minded though with a dash of delusion.

June 15, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
  15. Ariel L.

Perhaps the shock of learning her child was going to have difficulties drove her to cope in this intemperate manner.
    She has my sympathy for not having a value system already in place that would have helped her cope better.
    Not many people are prepared for such an event in their lives. She is only human after all.

June 15, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Ariel L.,
      How would you demonstrate ‘a better way to cope’? What is your measurement of a ‘better value system’?

June 15, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  16. Sarah P.

This is no different than seeing a "note" from "God" on a church readerboard.
    Pretending to be "God" is one of the world's oldest professions.

June 15, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
    • donna

Yep, the President we have now tries to do it everyday.

June 15, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  17. Ben F.

Penning a note that impersonates a fictional being is not a particularly new idea or act.
    It is a popular one, though, to judge from all the religious leaders who do essentially the same thing every day.
    Anyone can make up stuff like this. It's very easy. All it takes is imagination.

June 15, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • fred

A Fictional being? Sorry, but you need only look at how many people live out their lives as Sarah does for God. There are some myths and other false Gods out there but let’s stay focused on the article. Sarah believes in Jesus who was very real and lived a real life in the form of man to fulfill scripture and give us something tangible to see touch and feel. Now you may not believe anything in the Bible for some reason but you can look to historians. Interesting how some will say what historians say about Cesar is fact yet when the same historian speaks of Jesus they come up with some excuse for why this historian can be trusted in all other things but not this. Those who deny Jesus lived and died on the cross at the hands of the political and religious leaders of the day are like Achmadinejad who say the holocaust never happened. The reasons for their denial is the same.

June 15, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • Stevie7

I think the fictional being here is a deity, not jesus the human person

June 15, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
    • Artist

"There are some myths and other false Gods"
      Ah yes, and there we have it....others are false, mine is real. The drum beats the same for believers and their respective god. Forgive me if I chuckle. Jesus very well could have been a real person but he was clearly shizophrenic. Jesus would not have been the first shizophrenic who thought he had magical powers nor was he the last.

June 15, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • JoeB

No I think Ben F. here meant that God, Jesus, all of them are fictional, fred. Jesus was not a real person, outside of the Bible there is no historical record of him anywere (and scholars during that time tended to write, a lot). Sara may live her life for God but she does some very unchristianlike things. She is hardly the example you are anyone else needs to be following.

June 15, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • JoeB

@ fred again because I just finished reading your entire post. The same historians that wrote about Caesar wrote nothing about Jesus....nothing. If they did then your argument might carry a little more weight. Only 1 historian I know (Josephus, look him up) of every had anything mentioning Jesus and even he has been roundly discredited. 1 historian! You would think a guy wandering around curing leprosy, a major disease at the time, and raising the dead would have gotten the attention of more than 1 historian.

June 15, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • BR

@Fred
      A shared delusion is still a delusion.

June 15, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • ScottK

@Fred – Thanks for making me defend that dumb a$$ Iranian by not telling the truth. I watched the interview everyone always quotes claiming he said the holocaust didn't happen, but that is not what he said. I know it's parsing hairs here but he actually said, "In the name of the Holocaust they have created a myth and regard it to be worthier than God, religion and the prophets." This language targets the myth of the Holocaust, not the Holocaust itself – i.e., "myth" as "mystique", or what has been done with the Holocaust. Other writers, including important Jewish theologians, have criticized the "cult" or "ghost" of the Holocaust without denying that it happened. In any case, Mr. Ahmadinejad's main message has been that, if the Holocaust happened as Europe says it did, then Europe, and not the Muslim world, is responsible for it. (referenced from ICH)

And the same goes for those who "deny Christ". Most are not saying that they do not believe that a man named Jesus may have lived, they are just saying they do not believe in the divinity of Christ without some evidence other than the bible that makes the claim.

June 15, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Moose Knuckle

JOE: again because I just finished reading your entire post. The same historians that wrote about Caesar wrote nothing about Jesus....nothing. If they did then your argument might carry a little more weight. Only 1 historian I know (Josephus, look him up) of every had anything mentioning Jesus and even he has been roundly discredited. 1 historian! You would think a guy wandering around curing leprosy, a major disease at the time, and raising the dead would have gotten the attention of more than 1 historian.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

You sir, are a moron:

What about:

Tacitus?
      Gaius Tranquillas?
      Seutonius?
      Thallus?
      Pliny the Younger?
      Phlegon?
      Mara Bar-Serapion?
      Lucian of Samosate?
      and , The Talmud?

June 15, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  18. Artist

Get help Sarah
    Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that makes it difficult to tell the difference between real and unreal experiences, to think logically, to have normal emotional responses, and to behave normally in social situations.
    As the illness continues, psychotic symptoms develop:
    • False beliefs or thoughts that are not based in reality (delusions)
    • Hearing, seeing, or feeling things that are not there (hallucinations)

June 15, 2011 at 12:19 pm |

@Artist

Are you actually suggesting that she thought she was writing as God? Or are you in fact stating that you believe that anyone who believes in a diety is schizophrenic? I would be interested to hear your answer and perhaps you could enlighten me as to exactly what your own "belief" is for how we got here...as ultimately it is only a "belief" as nothing as to our origins as humans can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt...

Looking forward to your response...

June 15, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • Artist

Not sure which post you are reading??? Seems you are assuming a bit and that is for you to work through. My suggestion is to look at where the post was directed or directed to. There are people who believe in gods and there are people who actually thinkt he "gods" talk to them. There are thousands of gods, perhaps they all exist? If they do not, then we have a lot of people through time talking to imaginary things. Think of my post as food for thought if you wish to look beyond me directing it to Sarah.
      As for her thinking she was god, I suppose that might be a good question for her considering she might be running for office. We only have her e-mail she sent signing it as god.

June 15, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
    • Artist

For one believer to justify their god, they had better accept the other gods through time or they simply look quite foolish like the people they are pointing the finger at and saying your god is false.

June 15, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
    • FairGarden

I know God is real because he does talk to me.

June 15, 2011 at 12:45 pm |

@ Artist

You said I assumed a bit...actually I made no statements I only asked you questions. Of which you answered none...

You made a comment,"seek help Sarah" that you thought would be funny when actually it was a veiled insult to Sarah Palin and anyone else who believes in a diety...I called you on this and now you are trying to extricate yourself from the discussion by making further jokes...Your lack of faith in a god is evident, what I was asking you in a roundabout way was...ARE YOU SURE? Because if you live like there is no God, you better be right...

June 15, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • Artist

"Because if you live like there is no God, you better be right"
      Not about being right, rather it "doesn't matter". There are some who see a particular god as unique and there are some who see "all" the gods and there is nothing unique about gods through time. I fear a christian's hell about as much as I fear a muslim's hell for an example. Could there be or have been a being/beings more advanced than man, of course. Do I fear this being/beings, of course not. I do not fear what man writes or claims to be truth.

June 15, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
    • fred

Artist,
      Amazing I cannot believe you just said you fear no being. I assume you are talking about not fearing God or fear of the unknown because to fear no one is a sign of many different mental disorders. Fear is normal and lack of fear is cause for concern.

June 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • Nico

I don't care for Sarah Palin either, but your post makes Trig look a hella lot smarter than you. In fact, most developmentally challeneged folks poessess an intelligence far greater than ours. It is called intuition. Show some respect to the children, to the parents that are far more caring than you and most importnatly Grow the F up you moron.

June 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • Artist

fred

Artist,
      -----------
      Perhaps if they (not man) give me a reason to fear them? Why should I fear what men right? If I say you are gong to hell if you do not believe in Zues, are you p! ssing yourself? Or do you simply chuckle?
      Did I say I have no fear in life period or did I simply say I do not fear what some men write? While I give your attempt an E for effort, you failed.

Not one man created god has stepped forward in 10,000+ years. I await and if just one comes forward, I might p! s s myself if they give me reason. Until then, I do not let fear of man's gods dictate my life.

June 15, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • Stevie7

@Fred: "Fear is normal and lack of fear is cause for concern."

By your faulty logic, if one does not fear everything, than one has a mental disorder. One MUST fear the unknown to not have a mental disorder? Sounds paranoid and sad. I stopped fearing the monsters under my bed by about the time I was six. I wonder about the unknown, by why must I fear it? I choose not to live in fear.

June 15, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • Artist

For craps and giggles, why should I fear the unknown? If it is unknown, surely another man's opinion has no bearing on whether one should fear it or not.
      If you want to give weight to a man's writings or opinion, more power to you.

June 15, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Artist

Nico

-------
      Noted now please reread my original post.....not about Trig. Come on people stay with me here. Focus please

June 15, 2011 at 1:33 pm |

@Artist

I notice again you avoided my questions and only responded to one line from my post. You say "Not about being right, rather it "doesn't matter". ", my point that you so clearly missed is that you better be right about it not mattering because if I am right then you will not be happy and you will care a great deal at that moment.
      You go on to say"I fear a christian's hell about as much as I fear a muslim's hell for an example. Could there be or have been a being/beings more advanced than man, of course. Do I fear this being/beings, of course not. I do not fear what man writes or claims to be truth."
      The problem with your statement is in the last sentence," I do not fear what man writes or claims to be truth." The bible is not the word of man but instead the word of God whether or not you believe does not matter...It is true nonetheless...If you stand in traffic and say you don't believe in cars do you think they won't run you down? If you proclaim that China isn't real because you've never seen it does it cease to exist? I won't belittle your intelligence by answering these questions for you, but think about them before you make similar claims about God and His word...

June 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Stevie7

"It is true nonetheless...If you stand in traffic and say you don't believe in cars do you think they won't run you down? If you proclaim that China isn't real because you've never seen it does it cease to exist?"

I can see and drive cars. I can go visit China. The bible is the supposed word of god because the bible says so. Such circular logic isn't logical at all. Followers of every other religion can make the same claims you do about their god – that doesn't make them any less wrong than you.

June 15, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  19. Artist

Yep she is delusional

June 15, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  20. The Dude

She must of watched this video lol!

June 15, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • Mildred the Mouth

"of" ?
      Really ?
      "of" ?!?!?!?

June 15, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • The Dude

Pardon me, I am an engineer not an english major.

Thanks for pointing that out...grammar Nazi.

June 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • The Big Z

II hope, for your clients' sake, that you're more careful with significant digits than you are with the unrelentingly difficult task of choosing the correct common one-syllable word for the situation.

Also, don't blame your failings on engineering, we have a bad enough reputation from every other half-literate shut-in with a math talent doing that.

June 15, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • The Dude

I may be stupid...but not stupid enough to believe in Christianity.

June 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm |