home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Flint Rock

Hey "Suni"

Hate to be the one to tell you, but stupid is incurable.

June 15, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Suni

If 'cure' is hatred, then I rather remain stupid – thank you!

June 15, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  2. Mother Mary

It's blasphemy, pure and simple. Same with anyone who puts up a Billboard signed by "God," prints or wears T-shirts signed by "God," or invents a story that purports to express God's recent actions or views.

June 15, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  3. Drew

CNN PLEASE STOP REPORTING ON THIS LADIES E-MAILS, THEY ARE BY ALL MEANS THE LEAST IMPORTANT THINGS IN THE WORLD!

June 15, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • Angry Hillbilly

Learn the difference between a "blog" and a "news article," dumbfuck.

June 15, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  4. Kristy

She preaches love, understanding, compassion and acceptance ... unless you're gay.

June 15, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
  5. Matt

Palin is such a retard, I feel for her kids.

June 15, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • Angry Hillbilly

I FEEL her kids, litereally. One is a whore, so it's easy, and the other one is mentally retarded so it doesn't know any better.

June 15, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  6. Paul Jackson

What parent hasn't "told a story" to help get through a tough part in a child's/family's life... A cat dying, a grandparent's diagnosis, etc? Sooner or later that person/listener finds out that the parent did what they thought was best in explaining why something tough was happening. I think this is a great letter; not only becasue it provokes thought and introspection but because it is Truth! We believe (as a people and almost to a person) that we have everything under control and that when something bad happens we can explain it for all the reasons we say are true. However, God is in control and WE ARE NOT. Trig could have been explained in all sorts of ways and reasons but Ms Palin chose to reveal what was going to be happening in the family as a letter from God....Trig's Creator. As one who knows the Creator-personally- she was able to convey, what I believe to be are, very real truths and characteristics of God Himself. Why do we find it so necessary to find the smallest thing to focus on. This is ALLLLLLL the media and research people could find after going through years of emails for the Governor of Alaska......must be running a pretty squeaky clean program up there! Nice Letter Sarah Palin...May the Creator continue to bless you and Todd and Trig and the rest of your family!

June 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • JimT

Agreed! I think in many ways this letter was to herself too. She was dealing with this issue and the bible or god comforted her. Sheesh! Give the woman some slack. Lets try not to judge her since she is no better or worse than all the rest on capitol hill.

June 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  7. jason

This letter reminds me of something a child would write. If there was ever any doubt this woman is intellectually deficient....doubt no more!!

June 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • Alter_Ego

She would mop the debate stage floor with you.

June 15, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  8. God

That whole "Sarah Palin" thing? My bad.

June 15, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  9. FW FROM VA

So let's get this straight. Sarah Palin, the sitting governor of the State of Alaska was writing a personal letter to her friends and family in the VOICE OF GOD at 2pm on a Monday afternoon. This is the samw woman who blasts the President for playing golf on the weekend, and traveling overseas to meet with foreign heads of state. Yet she sits in her office, or more likely her house, and pretends she is channeling God. Not only is that blasphemous, but it is just downright psycho.

Also, 6 weeks from her due date, how does she know that her precious child will be born early and in perfect health, considering the many complications that could arise in her high risk pregnancy and stated condition of the baby??.

June 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Alter_Ego

1. Try looking up the definition to those big words (blasphemous) before bringing them out in public.
      2. Really? You just compared Obama's golf vacations to Paling writing an email? Lol.

June 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • JimT

Really? Because no one ever surfs the net or visits facebook or shops online while at work.... Not to mention taking maybe 15min max to write an email doesn't compare to taking vacation. Relax, it's just a personal email written to friends and family. I am sure if all your emails were published we could make fun of them as well or maybe not since you seem so much better than Sarah.

June 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  10. blf83

TMI, TMI! My religious belief (and political belief, too) is far more liberal than Appalling Sarah's, but she is taking the imaginary friend analogy WAY TOO FAR! But then, she takes everything too far in her harpie shrillness.

June 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Alter_Ego

Personal attacks and name calling? Typica lliberal...

June 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  11. Suni

Very loving mother, wife and daughter. I have started to like..no...LOVE her actually.
    wonder how can someone hate this person who is a great mother who simply is doing her best to keep her family together and happy! what's wrong with that??? Foolish Americans like stray dogs go barking behind her back for absolutely nothing, it now seems to me the media and foolish Americans have been trying their best to destroy her credibility but she comes out stronger then ever! I am so so sorry to say I was once as stupid and thought she was crazy, but now I see how perfect this person is...it is my thought about her that was at fault. God forgive me for getting carried away by destructive media. I pray for more power to Ms.Sarah Palin. God Bless Sarah and her Family. I cannot be brain washed anymore! Go Sarah... I am truly proud of you.

June 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • JimT

I feel that this email is sincere and as innocent as they come. All it is is an email to family and friends explaining her thoughts on this child she was about to have. No more no less. Give her a break and cut her some slack. I cannot find fault with her trying to figure it out and at the same time comfort her family and friends. Stop all the Palin hate. Remember she is no better or worse than any other elected official.

June 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • puckthecat

Is this Sarah Palin? If it isn't and your serious then by god you should be committed!

June 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  12. alfaholic

Ms. Palin, you sure seem to have an exaggerated sense of self-importance...

June 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Alter_Ego

Mrs. Palin wrote a heart felt email to her friends and family. Her liberal political opponents use that email as a divisive manuever. And you fell for it.

Grow up child.

June 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  13. G SMITH

Sarah Palin is making the Media and Liberal Democrats look like idiots that they are.

June 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • blf83

On what deluded planet were you hatched?

June 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • Alter_Ego

blf – Thousands of emails made public in an attempt to discredit her. The only thing they've shown so far is that he was a dedicated public servant, intent on making progress, and intent on representing that progress in the right manner, and intent on being a loving mother.

Yes, this manuever by her liberal opponents has fizzled out, and they look like fools.

You look like a turd who doesn't know how to behave in public.

June 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Artist

Palin is not relevent to the United States. However she is relevent in splitting up her party. God bless her, I truly hope she runs.
      However, her god is money and I suspect she will create enough buzz to go on tours doing speeches.
      p.s. I equally dislike Democraps. The 2 party system is a sick joke to The People.

June 15, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  14. Atheist_Free_Thinker

How can anyone vote for this psycho? Believing in some imaginary god should automatically disqualify you from running for office. Why? Because you will add your religious beliefs to all the things you do. Just look at the Canadian Prime Minister... that's what he's done and he's cut anything that goes against his beliefs.

The only way to advance as a civilization is to eliminate religion. My god is better than your god and if you don't agree we'll invade your country.

June 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • G SMITH

I am 1000% for her. She would make a great President

June 15, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Alter_Ego

"I don't believe in God, so I am automatically more qualified to lead this nation of believers better than you." Ok, if that is what you think. Go trot it out and see if it will run...

I am a free thinker. You are a derisive pud.

June 15, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • OpenMind

Perfectly said Atheist_Free_Thinker. I don't want some religious nut running the country.

June 15, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
  15. Oldie in TampaBay

even tho I think Sarah Palin is a fake & a publicity hound ... I find it deplorable that supposedly PRIVATE EMails are there for all to read.

June 15, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • Alter_Ego

You know that it is her liberal opponents who are publicizing these emails, right? Not Palin.

June 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Anjaak

Nothing is private when you use your work e-mail. Everyone knows that.

I am sure her friends could have redacted this one too, but for some reason, she wanted them to leave this one in. I wonder why?

June 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Alter_Ego

Anjaak – please describe who you think her friends are that redacted anything harmful? That is a silly excuse for this little ploy of her liberal opponents fizzling out.

She may not make a good president. I am not sure. I do know that these attempts to discredit her are actually do more to help than hurt her. I think that is funny.

June 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • Anjaak

Alter Ego- Sean Parnell & all of the people who worked on these e-mail redactions. (people that Palin probably hired & is friends with) I am sure that they redacted other personal information. Why not this too? Why is this on the state e-mail & not the yahoo account that she regularly used? Sarah does not believe in coincidences.

June 15, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
  16. Anonymous

I am shocked out how mean most of the posters are on here. This is just a woman, a mother, trying to find a way to have peace about the fact that her child is being born with Downs Syndrome. I am definitely not a supporter of Palin, but there is absolutely nothing wrong this letter. @ Nancy M.B. it is very cruel to refer to her son as "this retarded child". Imagine for one instance, that you are a mother about to have a baby that will be born with downs syndrome and all that would entail. No matter what you say about Palin, do you really doubt that she loves her children, all of her children, and that at the time this "letter" was written was a painful and anxiety filled time. To criticize a mother on how she decides to cope during a diffuclt time in her life with respect to her unborn child is just heartless. This "letter" had nothing to do with politics and should be left out of the policitcal landscape.

June 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • Alter_Ego

Liberals are a mean bunch. I avoid their part of town whenever I can. It is quite easy to do, since I have a job, live in a multi-million dollar home in an exclusive neighborhood, are friends with similarly situated people. I just don't cross paths with liberals that much. Thank god.

June 15, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Anjaak

I think that people would not be able to judge her parenting skills if she had not thrown her entire family into the spotlight. When she sacraficed Bristol on the RNC stage, I was convinced that we had different parenting styles. It is hard not to feel sorry for the kids of a reality show celebrity.

June 15, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Artist

Alter_Ego

-----------
      Interesting so do I but I cross paths with liberals quite often. Some wacky, some interesting and some mean. Same goes for conservatives in my area. However you don't see as much religious nuts our area...I suspect this has something to do with ignorance and we know where this is...middle class UUUGH.

June 15, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  17. Jean

Dear Sarah,
    I obviously pushed the joke a bit too far when creating you. My sincere apologies to the rest of the World.

God

June 15, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • blf83

Amen!

June 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • Alter_Ego

Grow up children. As your mommy how to behave in public. I am assuming you do not have fathers based on my statistical analysis of liberal bias and turdish behavior.

June 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  18. Dabchick

I believe it is a bit presumptuous of anyone to write on behalf of God. Seems she has anointed herself – how vain.

June 15, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • Alter_Ego

Anyone who is a believer questions themselves as to what they think God wants of them each day. They ultimately decide what they think that to be and hopefully act on it. To put it to paper is really no different.

June 15, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  19. Steve Portaro

freak!

June 15, 2011 at 2:56 pm |

Turd.

June 15, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • Angry Hillbilly

Pussy.

June 15, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  20. Flint Rock

Silly me – I thought Palin was God.

June 15, 2011 at 2:56 pm |