home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. John

YEA DO YOU KNOW HOW STUPID... So, Spanish illiterate as to refer to "Cinco de Cuatro" in front of the Mexican ambassador when it was "The 5th of May" (Cinco de Mayo), and then continue to flub it when he tried again, or the making a joke at the expense of the Special Olympics.... oh yea that was Obama

June 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  2. Bryan

As a Christian, I think it is sadly ironic that she included the exact scripture that would should have told her not to pen words in the name of God. "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8

It is unfortunate that this has been made public, but I find it presumptuous at best to speak for God, even in jest. I believe in the God of the Bible who has revealed himself through his Word, not from subjective impressions placed in my heart. Palin may care for Trig, but this letter is definitely not indicative of a believer who understands the historic Christian faith. If she did, she would let God's Word be his Word and not even attempt to speak for Him. I pray that she would be a caring and available parent for her children and that she would turn from her subjective "faith" and trust in Christ's finished work on the cross.

June 15, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • Bryan

I meant to say it was presumptuous at best to speak for God even in a lighthearted manner. I didn't mean to say "in jest." Whoops.

June 15, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
  3. Jason

liberals = mean-spirited, negative, self-centered, narcissistic, "holier than thou" loony toons. (Figured, with the attacks of many of these Palin-hater posts; equal mudslinging should prevail.) - How mature we all are ....

June 15, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • A. Liberal

At least liberals don't attempt to speak for God.

June 15, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  4. RF

In general I do not like Sara Palin. But in this matter God bless her! A Downs syndrome child is both a blessing and a heart breaker. It takes a special person to raise such a child and a lot of help from God. I still will never vote for her but I do give her my respect for this issue.

June 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • Drano

I totally agree, as much as I dislike Palin's politics I think this e-mail was appropriate and inspiring.

June 15, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  5. aaron

barf

June 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  6. BriSoFla

And we're supposed to care about this moron becausssssssssse????????????????????

June 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  7. Outsider

What have we become as an american society?

What happened to the good old days when 'private' meant 'for my eyes only', and not 'to be published for the world to see'? What happened to the days when we bashed candidates on their disintrest of political issues rather than their family? While its true I disagree with much of Sarah Palin's decisions at this point, it seems as if we are just crucifying her for something many americans do on a regular basis. So what if it makes her feel better to think she is talking to God? Do I think she should've sent the letter? No, but I also don't think we should've posted it on a public forum for her to be ridiculed and mocked because of her beliefs whether you agree or disagree with it. To be honest I'm disgusted at our society right now.

And what do these e-mails prove anyways? She has no political influence on the american society at this point, so it is pretty much pointless. All this is is another way the media is trying to distract readers and american voters from the real issues, things that should be debated about and delved into with full focus, by digging up useless dirt on those that people love to hate.

Its pointless. Its distracting. Its manipulative.

Worst of all, its working.

June 15, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Average Joe

I agree. I think it's sad that Americans have devolved socially to the point where this thread is the norm in public discourse. Perhaps we deserve our continuing slide to 2nd world status.

June 15, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  8. Sad

Its really sad that a woman's personal email account is being spewed all over the internet. Where's the privacy? This is truely disgusting.

June 15, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Lee

It isn't her personal email account. It is the governor of Alaska's email account, which is usually published within months of the governor leaving office, not years. Either way Mrs. Palin is not newsworthy, nor are her religious inclinations.

June 15, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • mike from iowa

Well "sad", she published her personal e-mail in her book "Going Rogue". It says so in the opening paragraphs of the article!

Having trouble putting two and two together? She published it in her public book, so it's no longer a private e-mail amd there is no justification for your claim of being saddened by it's publication.

What else could one expect from a Palin supporter...... Maybe if you pray, god will explain it to you.

June 15, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  9. cyberCMDR

Given the religious framework she and her family live in, I'm sure this seemed a reasonable way to put the birth of a handicapped child in perspective. Outside of that, she still exhibits a soundbite level of understanding the world (colored in religious undertones). True, she has mastered the GOP art of leveraging peoples fears and prejudices for political gain. It's not that she's a savvy politician, it is more that the American public's collective ability to critically reason has dropped way down. On the average, most people don't think any more than they have to. It's hard work, especially when it involves cherished assumptions that "everybody knows". People will work harder to blindly defend those beliefs than they will to critically evaluate them to see if they are valid.

June 15, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  10. John

Another Day, Another CNN attack on Palin.

June 15, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • God

AMEN

June 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • mike from iowa

Another day, another attack by palin and the neo-religious conservatives on sensibility.

VERILY

June 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  11. BostonBill

I'm not religious. If religion brings some people comfort,that's fine with me. I just don't like being judged or preached at by some spiritual Fascist. I do find this a little falsely sweet. How about we just not bother with this person unless she becomes a candidate and then trash her for her absurd political views. Until then we ignore her no matter how exasperating she gets.

June 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  12. Steve

" Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news"

How coold Paliin know that God would 'rush it along" on 7th April;(the date of the email)? Trig was born on April 18th?

June 15, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  13. Me

I am truely touched by this, i take back every lousy thought i have had about this woman.

June 15, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Lincoln Place

Not I; she's still a grandiose narcissist in love with the sound of her own voice. It makes me nauseous that any thinking being could consider her worthy of leading our Republic.

June 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  14. arctic woman

The MSM needs to call this woman "out". She lies whenever she opens her mouth. The birth of Trig is a major issue when it comes to whether or not the American people can trust this woman in ANY public office.... but, especially the Presidency! If this birth is a lie (which there seems to be overwhelming evidence to prove it) how can she be trusted for anything. She is a self centered, overly ambitious, dangerous person!

June 15, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • KCRick

No, what MSNBC needs to be doing is calling Obama out on all his lies and associations he has had with the likes of Bill Ayers and the likes!

June 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • Average Joe

If the birth is a "lie" in what manner? I've not kept up on this...what is the controversy?

June 15, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  15. blf83

To AlterEgo: If after nearly three years and multiple. major gaffes by Ms. Palin whose "values" are spoken but not practiced, whose criticisms of others are "defensible, even God-given,", yet any, ANY criticism of her is somehow liberal name-calling, "lamestream media," you still support this severely deficient egomaniac, then I fear ever more for this country. She is as transparent as Saran Wrap – and, at least, Saran Wrap has a purpose.

June 15, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  16. NYC REPUB

Okay I won't hate......this is nice.

June 15, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  17. ALBQSky

I simply find it very interesting that so many make this out to be a politically slanted event to slam Sarah Palin for her personal email. So many people seem to think that she is a "freak" and that she has lost her head. Unfortunately, the only things I see here from those "non-supporters" of her is a bunch of name calling. I would venture to guess not a single one of you have the track record to show you have done anything outside your humble existence to "fix" what has gone drastically wrong with this country. I see no where in her email that she professes to be "perfect". I do see where she has set the stage to embrace a CHILD, that I am sure she is scared to death of how and what it means to raise a special needs individual. So for all of you who choose to fling mud and simply dig through 24,000 pages of emails to find the ONE thing you can pin on her to try and make her look bad... I see you have MANY fingers pointing right back at you and your pathetic life.

June 15, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Sircraic

The problem with your post is that Sarah Palin has no track record of doing anything to "fix" things either. She is very adept at pointing out what she thinks is wrong but has been a complete zero when it comes to providing ideas to fix any of it. She has a history as a quitter, not a leader and anyone who sees her as presidential material is sadly delusional. She may be a good person, (although I question any of her motivations), but being a well-intentioned person does not make you qualified to be president. And before any of you Obama haters comment on how unqualified he may be; would you really suggest that replacing one inept person with one just as inept but 180 degrees in the opposite direction is really a wise choice? One that a good set of critical thinking skills would lead you too? I don't think so...

June 15, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • Steven

How dare you pretend to know what I or anyone else on this list have or have not done to make the world a better place. Palin is a public figure by her own choice. She puts herself and her views out there and therefore invites scrutiny. Before you judge me or anyone on this list, how about you tell us what great things you have accomplished and why you are so above reproach.

June 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  18. Spanish Inquisition

So does this mean Mrs Palin reveals she is a false prophet ? Why else would you use God's name like that ?

June 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • brenda

And you don't even understand that she never used His name. God is what he is not his name. The words creator,and heavenly father are just discriptiive words too.

June 15, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
  19. Independent Woman Voter

"Moving???" This woman has perpetuated the biggest hoax in modern political history, with the media helping her do it. Wake up and smell the coffee, people! I'm sympathetic to her, I welcomed her high profile entry into the race in 2008 – but the photos tell the story. She may have had Trig prematurely prior to the fake pregnancy, she may have adopted a grandson, or she may have procured a prop to suit her political ambitions – but she wasn't pregnant when and how she claimed, and the Wild Ride is unbelievable. Oh, and she had her tubes tied after she gave birth to Piper, as her carpool friends at the time remember all too well.

June 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • Lincoln Place

Powerful comment. Any verification you care to share?

June 15, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Suni

where is your proof? don't be talking out of your big ass..!

June 15, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  20. blf83

Her letter is not even her original writing. You can find it on the internet as pablum for people who buy into this mawkish sentimentality.

June 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm |