home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. The Sky Must be falling

Ok, I respect the fact that everyone has the right to believe in what ever.... BUT... to write a letter pretending that you are GOD is completely CRAZY. Sarah Palin is NOT GOD, nor will she EVER BE. This entire email is actaully a disgrace to GOD. FIRST OF ALL, GOD does not use a computer or does he know how to type and secondly, GOD would have done a better job.

June 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  2. Darius

It is BLASPHEMOUS to pretend to be GOD! How insulting of her! She is no christian!

June 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  3. Dave

Dear Sarah,
    Leave me out of this.
    God

June 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • Jessica Clemons

Greatest response EVER!

June 15, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  4. Iconoclast

No matter how moving and sincere her email may be I still have to wonder why she exploits her family members so. She seems to be desperate to demonstrate just how "normal and like us" she is when her life especially as of late has been anything but normal. She is too quick to trot her children and grandchildren in front of the cameras and I suspect as with many politicians' children the time will come when they voice their resentment at being "used".

June 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  5. scared of you haters

Wow! A mother writes a loving letter about the anticipation of a child that may not be perfect in the eyes of the world and the best you can do is suggest that she's delusional and that she should have aborted him? What's scary is the disgust and disdain your showing for anyone with religious beliefs. She's not forcing you to believe anything so what do you care? Go live your miserable life. I just hope eveything goes perfect for anyone around you that may be vulnerable. I would hate to have something happen to them.

June 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  6. racing mom

@ Fred Evil – so what – I really don't want to know every detail and every e-mail of any political official. As long as they are doing their job, and not "abusing", what is the harm of sending an e-mail to your family for encouragement? Is there no compassion in this world ???

June 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  7. t R u T h

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpEyqRtJw_E&w=640&h=390] 😀

June 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  8. Xperm Killer

Arghh.... I am in hell! On top of the page Paulin's picture, and in the botton Nancy Grace... help I need out of here, I should have heard all this believing in a God people before... But wait a sec., they are here too, so you must believe in a fake God then if you can read this!

June 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  9. Nick

God forgot to mention :
    "Sarah, you can use this baby as a prop for your fund gathering speeches."

June 15, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  10. Bebe

Why are we still having all this coverage of this woman? This nonsense, meanwhile, seems to take precedence over what is happening in the real news of the world, not to mention the news of the country. No wonder so few people are knowledgeable about history (or math, or grammar, or almost any subject except for gossip and "celebrity comings and goings). I wish it were more "goings." I vote for CNN deciding to become a "news" network again; leave the entertainment to shows dedicated to entertainment. Or is that what CNN has become? If so, please stop touting yourselves as the "best news team on television." You definitely are not. If you want to be, get to work.

June 15, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  11. PB

This is so freakin' pathetic that CNN and other news outlets are still trying to make Palin's largely innocuous emails in to a newstory. The only people eating it up are the liberal hacks. My gosh, even Jon Stewart is lambasting the media.

June 15, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  12. didn't you know?

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms2ajqlNHeI&w=640&h=390]

June 15, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  13. Jonathan

I do not like Sarah Palin's politics but this is very sweet... to all you haters out there calling this crazy or delusional... toss off.

June 15, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  14. RFrank

Oh for heaven's sake. It's just so ridiculous to go through this woman's email and analyze it to pieces. This is a harmless and actually quite sweet thing to do, this email from God. And I am someone who absolutely LOATHES Sarah Palin as a political figure. Horrible as I think Palin is for our political discourse and intellectual level, I honestly hope you news organizations find nothing at all wrong in her emails and end up completely wasting your time.

June 15, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • Darius

No GOD fearing christian would pretend to say something is from GOD when it is from them.
      It is a sin to LIE!

June 15, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  15. oregonian101

Ok, I'll try this again.

I am not even close to be a Palin fan. However, if writing or sending that helped her spiritually and emotionally who are any of us to judge her.
    That being said, I am so tired of her being in the news. Please, lets move onto serious matters.

June 15, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • Harry Huggins

Beautifully written by a loving MOTHER!

June 15, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • payton

Yes... Please let's move on!!!!!!!!!! God bless you Sarah and family... hope you have all been successful in your goal and made all the money you need..... Now please go away!!!

June 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Chris

God Bless Sarah Palin. She's an amazing person. She gets my vote.

June 15, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  16. carol a.

God Bless the Palin family for loving this child so much. All of us want and deserve love and hopefully will get it by the end of our lives.

June 15, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  17. TNgirl

This email is from her heart to her family and friends. It was never meant to be on public display! Where is "your" heart? or do you not have one anymore? Why have they not requested all the emails from all the Governors and candidates potentlionally Running for President office, to review for all the world to know? why just Palin?! Why not put everybodies email-laundry out for all to see! Be it good or bad.!?

June 15, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  18. brenda

So many aetheists and so much hate in these comments. I thought this was the belief blog.

June 15, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • Nick

I am not atheist but I do not think Sarah Palin is God.
      Its blasphemy to act like a God.

June 15, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  19. Political Scammer or Terrible Mother?

On April 7 (11 days before Sarah supposedly gave premature birth and six weeks before her due date), she wrote, "I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news." Did she write this because: Trig was already born so Trig would have to be rushed or "premature"? Sarah's pregnancy was easy for Sarah because she was not the birth mother? Sarah and Todd were getting ready to spring a political scam that involved a heroic rush from Texas to Wasilla, complete with labor pains, leaking amniotic fluid, and Down syndrome? Sarah knew she'd want the letter ready to send out to a broad audience that included her staff in 11 days (which she did)?

The above scenario makes more sense than intentionally putting her at-risk baby through the wild ride as Sarah described in Going Rogue.

June 15, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
  20. Guy B

Tears came to my eyes as I read this beautiful email. Then I got down to the comments and my heart sank. Such ugliness.

June 15, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • Jim

Ugliness is in the eye of the beholder.

June 15, 2011 at 5:51 pm |