home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. SoSad

OK, I do not care for this prima donna, I think that's she's one of the most disrepectfull person I ever read about, she is nutcase, and ego maniac, shallow, and just a plain bad person.

But, leave her emails alone, that's private, that's between her and God.

June 15, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • fda

what has she done that is so wrong?

June 15, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • pat

Her letters were published in a book designed to make her look like something she is not. If she didn't want or cannot handle criticism she should not have asked to have them published. She is polishing her own knob.

June 15, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • fda

I think it is pretty clear that she can handle criticism. That has been the liberal medias agenda since she became the VP candidate. But to their surprise, this is one person that won't be hindered by the investigators Obama sent, the comedians who attacked her and the picket masters who soul profession is to willingly promote the opinions of the lamestream media.

June 15, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  2. scared of you haters

Any how would you solve the worlds problems D23?

June 15, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • pat

Start with removing the liars, the narcisists, and those "on the take".

June 15, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  3. fda

The understanding of religon by the author of this story is appalling and misleading. I can't believe this is journalism.

June 15, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  4. GreMoor

When can we read Obama's letters to and from his communist benefactors? So much focus on sarah palin. Thirty reports were sent to Juno to dig up dirt on her based on these emails. NY Slimes enrolls its readers to dig up dirt. Again, this is the best they can do. I bet Clinton's emails were more interesting – coffee table book material.

June 15, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  5. Wolf69

Moving? Well I guess I do have to go to the bathroom after reading this 🙂

June 15, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  6. scared of you haters

When the Sky was Falling something must have hit you in the head.

June 15, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  7. Steve

That's because it was from God duh!

June 15, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  8. D23

Yawwwwnnnnn!!! I think Sarah is definitely an Idiot with a capital "I", but out of 24,000 emails, this is the best that can be produced? I must say this little sideshow is getting quite dull and dry. WHO CARES? Can we please kick little Mrs. Muppet to the curb and focus on more pressing issues??

June 15, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  9. Neil

?

June 15, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  10. scared of you haters

Henriette: I'm not worried about you being a liberal or a democrat. I'm worried about you being CRAZY! Nice conspiracy theory!

June 15, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  11. The Palinator

Read the whole story the MSM does not want you to see in Floyd Orr's PARADIGM SHIFT: The Palin Matrix. It's an eye-opener!

June 15, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
  12. Neil

Let me get this straight – God heard her prayers for a healthy baby but gave her one with a life-threatening illness?

June 15, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • jon

When things go radically wrong – then they always can say "god works in mysterious ways." Yeah, I guess.

June 15, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • DougM

Neil, I'm not trying to stand up for Sarah Palin, but health is in the eternal perspective with God. You might have health issues in this life, but will be healthy in the eternal.

June 15, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  13. The Sky Must be falling

I would respect her more if she was writing a letter to GOD instead of trying to be GOD. Again, she's Crazy lady.

June 15, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  14. you can KNOW

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms2ajqlNHeI&w=640&h=390]

June 15, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  15. t R u T h

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpEyqRtJw_E&w=640&h=390] 😉 😀

June 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  16. san diego lady

I read this in awe. It should be a reminder to everyone that Palin believes in her creator, God. She is acknowlediing this and in writing this from "trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father", she's just reminding herself and her family, God is in control, and to have faith that he knows what's best for you.

June 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Canadian

Why doesn't God just get off his high horse and write the email himself!?

June 15, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • Skeptic

I'll be trusting my own instincts before anything other people say about God.
      If there is a God, why give me my own perspective if not to use it?

June 15, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  17. Canadian

This goes to show how much all god's aren't real. They are a defect in the human condition, We manifest religions to answer questions we are too stupid or to lazy too actually investigate.

June 15, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • JH

I would like to see your idea of proof that there is no deity out there...proving a universal negative is actually impossible.

June 15, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • ba-ss-ackwards logic

So you don't have to prove that your deity exists, but I have to prove that it doesn't?? This is precisely the problem with every religious "believer" out there...

June 15, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
  18. Barbara

She lives inside of herself. I believe that she thinks that she has been gifted. That she was put on this earth to guide us all. She has powers.

Well, I have news for her. From the way I view it she lacks more than she empowers. She seeks out attention like it was the food needed to nourish the body.

This whole thing about Trig baffles me as this is where I think she should be expounding her energies. I would love to see her fighting a campaign for Downs Syndrome Children. Fighting a cause that she claimed through the last election was so dear to her heart. Making a difference in something she could possibly convince many that she knows something about and stay as far away from the political arena as possible.

I sure hope that she doesn't lay an e-mail on us from the Heavenly Father stating that he has deemed her to be President.

June 15, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  19. Henriette

Me not buying. The little one Sarah privately calls "the little retard" is really Bristol's child. There is absolutely no empirical evidence that Sarah gave birth to him. No one even noticed Sarah was pregnant beforehand. Oddly, Bristol was out of school for several months at the time, due to "mono." You know, the kissing disease of the 50s. And if you didn't know it, Palin didn't release her medical records for her 2008 VP run; just a doctor's note. Sarah isn't the only politician to lie; they all do, at each end of the spectrum, right and left. But this particular lie is a whopper. And it reveals that Palin couldn't find five minutes of her time to have "the talk" with her daughter, who cranked out two babies as a teen, not one. Some family values, indeed. And don't bother telling me I'm a liberal or Democrat; I'm not.

June 15, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Buddy Love

Wow what POS you are...

June 15, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • Johnny

Another POS liberal Democrat

June 15, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • Sari

Okay, I don't care for Sarah Palin, I LOVE Obama, and I thoroughly enjoy honest criticism of this woman. But what you've said is horribly insulting. She is a mother, she is the mother of Trig, and she believes in all the crap that she spews, like it or not. I vote not, but I'm not going to pretend that she isn't exactly what she says she is. Because what she says she is is damaging enough!!!

June 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Derp

I don't think it's that hard to believe Sarah's offspring is retarded. (I don't really care if it's hers and no one should)

June 15, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • Henriette

Did I not say I am neither a liberal or a Democrat? I would call some of the folks here functional illiterates, but I'm not so sure about the functional part. I am a Republican; I just don't like being lied to, or voting for liars. And, oh, thanks John McCain– for putting country first, and unleashing this idiot on the American public. BTW, google this: Sarah Palin idiot. I am not alone.

June 15, 2011 at 4:49 pm |