home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Old Pilot

May I suggest that you please get a life. Most of you should be ashamed of what you wrote. To suggest in one case to shot her is the face is unbelievable. Do you really think that your "intelligent" suggestions of what she meant to do, not do, could do, could not do, really are worth anyones time.

I am ashamed that there are people out there that read this email from Gov. Palin and can get so angry. Please take a moment ot look into yourself and see if what you are writing here is not based on some other reason other than the email. I don't like our current president but I would never write the stuff you people are writing. I for one have a little more respect for people than you do.

Please calm down. The world is not coming to an end. And particularly it is not coming to an end because Gov Palin wrote an email to her family as if it came from God.

June 15, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  2. Hahaha

It was a nice email to her family. Since she can't do anything to please the people who don't like her don't bother responding to them.

June 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  3. timd

as much as i dislike Palin, I don't think there is anything negative to say about this.

June 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  4. Jason

This woman just gets crazier and crazier. I'm actively religious, but would never think to voice the words of God. These types of things creep me out, as do all persons that think they can speak for God. No person can speak for God, even if it's sentimental. I think this is just further eveidence of her sociopathetic (mispel on purpose) behavior. I don't worry about her children because of any birth defect or otherwise as she may have; I worry about them because of the parent they've been given.

June 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  5. RICKFROMPA

And how much "quality time" has Sarah spent with her son Trig since her unsuccessful run for the Vice Presidency ? In the past 3 years, she has spent an enormous amount of time running around the Country either promoting her "books" or herself. Who has been giving love and taking care of Trig ?

June 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  6. SuperCal

I am the biggest critic of Palin but she was trying to do something nice. She's an idiot, yes. But leave some of her stuff alone. She was making the best of a difficult situation.

June 15, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  7. Phil

She's as nutty as the day is long. I didn't need any more evidence to prove that's she's a nitwit. First of all, the concept of some "God" controlling whether or not you have a Down Syndrome baby, is just ludicrous. Where is that same "God" when thousands of people were burning to death in the World Trade Center? Where was this loving "God" when 6 million of his "Chosen People" – the Jews – were being tortured and killed? There is no answer for that, from anyone who does any type of rational thinking. God is a creation of man to explain away things that he had no explanation for thousands of years ago. Mumbling some words under your breath doesn't work either. My sons young friend had cancer, we prayed continuously – he died anyway. A doctor here in town had leukemia. I really didn't care for the guy, I didn't pray for him, and he died. A good family friend developed a sudden illness that was life threatening, we prayed for him, and he died. My aunt had multiple myloma, we prayed for her, and she died. I know I'm not going to change any minds here, because as the brilliant Dr. House once said, "If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people". But lets all try to ooze up out of the dark ages and stop believing in imaginary friends in the sky. Seriously.

So a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a woman who was made out of a rib, was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree?

Jesus: I'm going to create man and woman with original sin. Then, I'm going to impregnate a woman with myself as her child, so that I can be born. Once alive, I will kill myself as a sacrifice to myself, to save you from the sin I originally condemned you to.

So to those of you screaming about Atheism being a religion too, please try to use some common sense and critical thinking skills as you live your life. I don't believe in any of that nonsense, and I have a wonderful family and get along just fine. I am kind to others, am very happy and have a great career. I owe it all to my parents genetics and how they raised me. Not to some invisible man in the sky that I'm supposed to give 10% of my money to.

June 15, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • mattgordonmd

@ Phil – if god has very many of those emails to send out, no wonder his other work suffers. I would think a superior being from heaven above would have mastered the cut, paste and save as draft functions.

June 15, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • RICKFROMPA

Where to go Phil ! I couldn't have said it better myself !

June 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • Bud in NC

Phil- You cut right to the heart of the matter. I agree 1000%.

June 15, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • Phil

I didn't even realize this story was in a "religion blog" area of CNN. I didn't know CNN even HAD a religion blog. I thought news sites were supposed to be about reporting facts? I understand if it's an OP ED piece, but to have an entire section of your website dedicated to imaginary sky wizards! That is solid gold my friends.

June 15, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  8. mattgordonmd

All that self-congratulatory and self-righteous message from god was intended to do was to make herself seem superior and special for carrying a Down synsdrome fetus to term.

June 15, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  9. Gordon

Brenda-

You say that Sarah is not making me ( us) responsible for her baby. I bet you when he was born the first thing she did was sign him up for social security disability income and medicare.

What I was saying about the comment of being responsible and not getting pregnant so late in life is that there is a very high risk for problems. There are many children that would love to be adopted. I think ( which I do have a right to have an opinion in America) is that she should have taken precautions to not get pregnant at a high risk time in her life. It is also not fair for her to make the decision for Trig to have to go thru the challenges he will face in life nor the drain on the tax payers to pay for her being irresponsible.

June 15, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  10. Mark in Seattle

Might be a moving sentiment until you remember that this same woman wants to use that "faith" as a truncheon to make sure someone else's gay son lives as a second-class citizen. Or that she wouldn't think twice to sending the sons of others over to harm's way in the Middle East to continue the holy war. Then you see how toxic her religion is to other people and that she has no business speaking for the divine.

June 15, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • Phil

Well said. When you get religious zealots in positions of power and they start imposing the will of their "Sky Wizard", well that's not much different that what's going on with all the religious muslim wingnuts in the middle east. They want to convert or kill all who don't believe in the Koran. But we have our magic book that says otherwise and it leads to a giant nightmare. Sweet Jesus I wish we could all evolve at a much more rapid pace. People 500 years from now are going to look back on our society and think we were all completely retarded.

June 15, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  11. kandice

Refreshing... Americans no longer hold anything sacred. From honor to respect all the way down to simple manners. This is glimpse of holding onto something sacred. Kudos, Sarah.

June 15, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  12. God

Stop taking my name in vain.

June 15, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Hahaha

Dear God,

You should learn what your own commandment means. She's not taking your name in vain if she's not mocking you or using your name as a curse.

June 15, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • TexasTarotReader

Well then, could you control your followers a little better? kthnxbai. srsly.

June 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  13. GTOWN

Written on Monday, April 7th around 2PM – in other words on the tax payer's dime! Maybe she should have been solving Alaska's problems instead of writing personal e-mails during work.

Wonder what the total time was that she spent on personal e-mails?

June 15, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • kandice

Never sent a personal email while at work??? Judgemental much???

June 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Phil

The rules never apply to the Republicans. You didn't get the memo? You were probably off with your hippie friends, smoking dope and aborting babies that day!

June 15, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
  14. TexasTarotReader

I loathe Sarah Palin. LOATHE HER.

I see nothing wrong with this email. All she is doing is sending a message about a truly special child. So what if she signed it as though it were from God? Seriously. There's plenty more to hate on this woman about then a letter written to celebrate the arrival of this child (if she actually gave birth to this one...there is some speculation...jogging in your eight month and not showing?).

So, while I can go toe-to-toe with anyone on what's wrong with Sarah Palin, this letter doesn't even come into play for me.

June 15, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • Dave

Nicely put!

June 15, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • Eli

Totally agree with you!

June 15, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  15. Mom of Three

It was all about how God rang those bells to warn the British to not take our guns, years before the Second Amendment was enacted. And also how Bristol had Trapp or Track or whatever through Immaculate Conception.

Fairy tales are fun!

June 15, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  16. sue

You don't suppose she wrote this because she knew it would be "discovered" do you? Nah...I didn't think so. Anyone else have a problem with such a casual relationship with the creator?

June 15, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • r-hope

Not when you think of God as a father... a dad. And if you can relate to him as such

June 15, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  17. The LORD

That's just weird...

June 15, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  18. Chas in Iowa

I've had a few thoughts on Sarah's motives in the past ,....but now she is penning e-mails as God to herself?
    That's more than just a little bit odd in my book.

June 15, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  19. mam

"Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain."

I can't believe a religious person would do what Palin did. Please explain to me how this is not wrong? The moment I saw this mail, I felt queasy, and I am so surprised no Christians are reacting to this. I understand the folksy version of this commandment has become "don't cuss", but it is so obvious from the context in the Bible that God is addressing exactly the type of vanity in display here. And everyone should know that. Sarah Palin too.

June 15, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Bryan

Yep, well said. It's unfortunate how many people get their impression of Christians from public figures who claim to be Christians, but don't actually understand the faith they claim.

June 15, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
  20. justin

@ racing mom...........I agree with you 100%

Regardless of your political affiliation, this is her baby and it's just cruel for some folks to get on here and spew venom like this.

June 15, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • rey

she is just simply nuts. every child is a gift but normal people don't send out letters as if they were God. I feel bad fro Trip to have such a crazy mom. Having downs is tough enough but to have this on top of his exceptionalities is just too much for any one.

June 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm |