home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. grace

“I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that.”

The story she has been telling on the speaking circuit for about $100,000 a pop is that God didn't answer her prayer for peace about Trig until the nurse placed him in her arms. Wow! Sarah even fooled God.

June 15, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • Tri-G - Trisomy G

The story she has been telling on the speaking circuit for about $100,000 a pop is a complete lie. I'm sure god would be really happy about that.

June 15, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  2. questionable

Where are the feminists while a woman is publically scorned, ridiculed, mocked and her privacy is invaded and violated?

June 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • aface

She is a adult Woman and potential presidential candidate- she should be able to defend herself

June 15, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • pat

This kind of attention is the life blood for this woman, womens lib my foot.

June 15, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • TexasTarotReader

Please. Do not pull ou the "poor Sarah" nonsense again. She should be automatically defended by feminists simply because she has an innie not an outie between the legs? Why?

The letter isn't bad.

Sarah Palin is.

June 15, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • enoughAlready

Feminists don't care about women, they only care about abortion politics.

June 15, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  3. scared of you haters

Hey John:

How do you know what her birth control beliefs are?

June 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • pat

This has nothing to do with her beliefs in birth control. This has everything to do with opening the door on the circus tent with her name on it.

June 15, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  4. God

Actually, that message was a hoax. My account was hacked, and I have no idea who did it. I can neither confirm nor deny that that letter is indeed mine. Sorry.

June 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • TexasTarotReader

Okay, now THAT was funny. 🙂

June 15, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  5. John

There's a reason women in the mid 40's don't and shouldn't generally have kids. There is a very significant jump in the statistics of down syndrome kids. I'm glad she 'loves' her kid although I really dislike most of this womans beliefs and actions, including being so brain dead that she won't practice birth control because of a book of stories written about a guy 2000 years ago, written by people and altered with the express purpose to control the masses into bondage. even if Jesus was real (sure he might be), he would probably cry to see Sarah Palin behaving the way she does.

June 15, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  6. soggy biscuit juice

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHRP0I2SrVs&w=640&h=390]

June 15, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  7. carolinus

actually, I think more highly of Palin than before because of the letter... still don't like her and heaven forbid she runs for president.

June 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • Susan

I agree. She used a form of journaling to deal wtih what I am sure was scary news. It was brave of her to release the letter in her book too. It shows her heart.

June 15, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • pat

Susan don't be a silly billly, she is using her son, her emails, the media and anything else she can think of to stay on your tv set.

June 15, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  8. Abrour

Are they still digging through Palin's email at CNN? Is there nothing more important things to do?

June 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  9. Tdogg

Sounds like she was trying to convince herself that having this baby would be ok. If that's the process she needed to go through, in order to accept reality and decide to keep the baby, good for her. While I do not feel she is qualified to govern a state, much less a country, she does appear to take care of her children. That's a good thing. I'm no supporter either, but have no judgment on what she did here. It's one of the more genuine and honest things I've heard of her.

June 15, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • readnvote

Blasphemy.

June 15, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  10. you support the troops, so read their letters

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7jR5nGpdY&w=640&h=390]

June 15, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  11. God

Don't worry, folks, she's not getting elecyed.

June 15, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • God

I meant elected. Even God misspells every once in a while.

June 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  12. enoughAlready

Media combs through 24,000 e-mails of someone who holds NO power whatsoever, and this is what they come up with?

Now, how about we see some of Obama's e-mails while he was a "Community Organizer"? Like that'll ever happen. "a new age of transparency" my rear. Transparency for everyone but him.

June 15, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • pat

Have you read either of his books? You can find them on amazon if you are really interested.

June 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • enoughAlready

Yes, Pat, I'm sure his books, you know, the one's he wrote for public consumption, are truly salacious. Do you really equate a book he wrote with the media digging through 24000 of your personal e-mails? You are new, aren't you?

June 15, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  13. Charles

Does God use Mac or PC?

June 15, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • God

Stone tablets.

June 15, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  14. LusciousDC

"Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, HAS PURPOSE, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

Hey Sarah...maybe his purpose was for you to STAY HOME and raise him. I mean a house and yard is far better than a bus and concrete.

June 15, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • pat

Yes, and using the publicity of the letters publication is a terrific way to draw more media attention to yourself. Hey look it's working!!!!

June 15, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  15. Jan

I think it is a beautiful way to inform your family and friends about this special child. Questions will be kept to a minimun. I had a brother in law that had Down's Syndrome and I am thankful every day that I had the opportunity to know and love this child. My children are better human beings for knowing him.

June 15, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  16. weloveyou

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms2ajqlNHeI&w=640&h=390]

June 15, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  17. Damian

She's a wack job and a half. Why does anyone listen to this idiot who is clearly missing a brain?

June 15, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  18. Marie Kidman

June 15, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  19. Alli Oop

A couple things bother me about this email. It was written well before Mrs. Palin's due date. How could she know how easy her pregnancy would be if she wasn't even in her ninth month? Why did she say her pregnancy was short? Why did she endanger this blessing from God and travel when her water broke? Infections in the womb from leaking amniotic fluid can cause hearing loss and blindness in the baby.

June 15, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  20. bashaleebee

I too dislike Palin in most every way ... but this email is (1) No one's business and (2) rather beautiful. Too bad she wouldn't be more of an activist for special needs children, instead of only speaking for such if she gets paid. She has enough money now to donate time and do something worthy and good for a change. Something she does know something about and has first hand experience with.

June 15, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • Alli Oop

I really thought she would use her charisma to be a voice for special needs people. She actually said she would if she were vice president. She could have made a real difference.

June 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • TexasTarotReader

@bashaleebee Agreed. Particularly about what she could be doing with her money and time.

June 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • Sasha

I'll grant you the style of this email is beautiful; however, the idea that she signs as God is pretty scarry, even if it was a "joke" or whatever. I am not even religious but it does give me pause that she would have the grandeur dilusion to do this, even if it was just for a second.

June 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm |