home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Soon, soon, soon

I eagerly await for the truth to be revealed about this liar.

June 15, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  2. Corky From Life Goes On

BECCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

June 15, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  3. Kevin

I agree with Scholar. Palin's a nut job when it comes to basic American governmental policies and history, but I have absolutely no problem with the email. Shouldn't even be a story, except that she decided to include it in her book. Big deal. I talk to God every day. I get God's tweets (they're hysterical). To each their own.

Just please don't put her whacked out views in other areas in the White House. We deserve so much better.

June 15, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  4. BlackDynamiteNYC

If you want defective kids, give birth in your 50's
    That's smart......
    BD

June 15, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Larry

Affectionate, generous, and cheerful do not make up for lack of normalcy. The former are traits found in a pet.

June 15, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  5. IIO

she's retarded. magic sky fairy my a**

June 15, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  6. J

I wonder if God wrote a letter to explain why Palin couldn't finish her term as Governor...

June 15, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  7. Charlotte

Snort!

June 15, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  8. Tri-G - Trisomy G

yes, she loved god's creation so much that she named him after his medical condition. man there sure are some suckers commenting here. no wonder the us is falling hard.

June 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Kevin

Thought she named it after her favorite high school course...

June 15, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  9. Owen Johnston

How ironic that the New York Times and Wash Post asked their readers to search for dirt on Palin. Would they have done that to Obama? I love it! All they found was a decent person, something they are not used to. It must have surprised them.

June 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Larry

If they didn't, no one would read them.

June 15, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Maryann

No, the right wing media is the group that goes after Obama. The NYT doesn't have to!

June 15, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Maryann

So the readers of the NYT and Wash. Post are not used to decent people? I guess I could say the same thing of Faux News viewers, but I'm too DECENT to do so.

HA!

June 15, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  10. fred

It's good to believe in God, but I think Sarah Palin is mentally ill.

June 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Get Help

She is a psychopath. Whatever she says, the exact opposite is true.

June 15, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Tracy Hayes

I totally agree with your comment. Look into her eyes, the lights are on but no one is home....

June 15, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Kevin

As long as your belief in God doesn't interfere with your ability to legislate fairly with the understanding that not everyone in the U.S. believes in God.

June 15, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
  11. CMP7533

Haha, I can't believe this is trying to be spun against her. Amazing.

June 15, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  12. Patty - Illinois

Personally, I think the emails she gets from her witch would be verrrrrrry intersting too!

June 15, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  13. fda

If Democrats had any brains they would be republicans.

Democrats are the kind that watch their ideological failure in real time and still blame the republicans for their failure to provide an alternative plan, even when they have. But the Democrats cannot believe that cutting spending is the right method to fixing these problems.

June 15, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • DougM

Why do you think that cutting spending is going to help the economy? In studying advanced MacroEconomics in college, we learned that when you do one thing something else results. Cutting spending will reduce the money going into the economy and cause a contraction. We can not afford to reduce taxes any more so there will not be any increase in spending in the private sector to offset the money that is no longer being spent by the federal government. I'm afraid you've been a little misled.

June 15, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • Kevin

And republicans are the type to avoid answering or commenting on the issue at hand and focus all of their attention on attacking democrats. Engage in a debate without talking over someone or cutting off their mic for once. Or even better, here's an idea, how about admitting you might be wrong on something! Heaven forbid!

June 15, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • James Wilson

Republicans are the type of people that sit and watch the super rich in our country and their bought-and-paid-for republican representatives plunder our tax dollars to make themselves even richer. They watch this in a stupor, passively as if they were watching some cheesy Hollywood low-budget cops-and-robbers movie. Then, once the bank is empty and the cops are at a lose as to how it happened, they figure they might as well blame Obama.

June 15, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  14. scholar

Calm down people calm down!!! I can not stand Palin as much as the next person but she has every right to write an email to her family and friends without the world juding her!! Everyone has their on religious beliefs and how do we know that God did not have a conversation with Palin about her unborn son!! That is her business and I suggest that if your angry about this letter... YOU SHOULD GET A LIFE

June 15, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • Larry

The wasilla imbecilla should now KNOW there is no invisible friend in the sky, or she wouldn't have been cursed with a Down syndrome baby.

June 15, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • AR

I agree. It was between her and her family, if they understood what she was trying to say then who cares? Besides, april of 2008? Thanks for the current and worthwhile news CNN!

June 15, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  15. Mike Mundy, Houston, TX

Man..some of you people are just plain evil and hateful. Why do you hate this woman so much? What miserable lives you live. Open your darkened hearts to just one ray of light, won't you? And no, I don't claim to be perfect. I just try to understand the human side of people. It's here where you will find true, genuine tolerance. NO08, huh?

June 15, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • Charlotte

We don't hate her. She is unworthy of the kind of energy it requires to actually hate someone. There is such a lack of substance to the woman that we merely pity her and we pity the poor deluded slobs who worship her.

June 15, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Ditka

says a texan....

June 15, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  16. Caliban

Just another religious zealot, who can't seem to live without seeing god in everything and preaching where ever she goes. Only churchies could keep this nut job in office. Seperation of church and state my ass. God bless this, god bless that. How about us, we are the ones who forge our own destiny, not out-dated dogma believing in a super being overlord.

June 15, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • mars marshen

God Bless you

June 15, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Alex in NJ

Democrats are tolerant...what a joke! I'm not a huge Palin fan and i am also an atheist but seriously. If you spin this against her you're just a cynical jerk.

June 15, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  17. Robert Crowley

I believe Gov Palin wrote a much better e-mail than a certain congressman from NY. If you must criticize someone, try to criticize someone who truly deserves it.

June 15, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • Charlotte

OK, let's start by criticizing you for your uneducated assault on the English language. Or perhaps you simply need to fire your copy editor? He/She is allowing you to post things in public that are exhibit a shameful lack of writing and spelling skill, with poor grammar as well.

June 15, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • they're all messed up

agreed. And to 'Charlotte': seriously? that's your contribution? .....

June 15, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  18. Mark McKee

Gov. Palin, go sell crazy somewhere else. We're all stocked up here.

June 15, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • Mark B.

With you sitting right at the top of the pile.

June 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Phil

Agreed...you're all stocked up over there at CNN.

June 15, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  19. RJP3

I know few people (actually NONE) that think Down Syndrome children should not be born because of the genetic condition.

I know many people who believe that parents should have a choice as to who they bring into the world.

Religious beliefs vary.

June 15, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  20. Gigadee

She is totally insane. How much proof do some people need? Plain supports – you should know you look extremely foolish to the sane thinking world

June 15, 2011 at 4:18 pm |