home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. MTP

I thought god used an RSS feed. Who knew?

June 15, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  2. Goddess

Can you spell "hubris" (wanton arrogance)? And do we have to continue to listen to her whinny voice? So irritating. And possibly dumber than a box of rocks. When's the last time we saw her doing anything with Trig? I don't recall ever seeing her interact with him nor do I see him with them.

June 15, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  3. Donnie Pfaster

I'm an agnostic, believe in gay marriage and a womens right to choose, that probably doesn't get me many invites to Tea Parties now does it? This is the type of thing that is making me like Sarah Palin more and more each day, not what she wrote but the fact that you turds want to use something like this to try and belittle/discredit this women – pathetic pseudo-intellectuals the lot of you are...

June 15, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • Artist

Interesting, you base your vote on what other people do or say???

June 15, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  4. Goody

This is all very nice, but it would be a lot nicer if she were actually taking care of her child instead of running around the country flapping her gums in the camera every chance she gets. Hey, Sarah, "special needs" actually means that you have to give the kid EXTRA attention, not none.

June 15, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  5. Jessa1229

I am not a fan of Palin's, but I think in a way the letter is kind of sweet. She wanted her family to understand that they saw Trig as a blessing not a burden and this was her creative outlet for doing so. She wants her family to love and see Trig the way she saw him in that moment and to fully accept him. I do not know that I could feel the same way about raising a special needs child (and am fortunate to have never been in that position to decide), but I am glad that she was able to find room and accept and love this child despite the challenges ahead.

For the other commentors, not every article needs to be turned into a sounding board for your political views. This has nothing to do with democrats versus republicans. It is a story about how one mother CHOSE to view the knowledge that she would be raising a child with special needs.

June 15, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • andrewstl

i have no use for her. but this is a neat thing she did for hte family. cut her a break. she is not going anywhere with the crazies who are nutty over her

June 15, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Sean

This is a comment board.
      Considering she is a political figure, politics has its place here.
      I to get tired of hear left versus right, Libtard versus repblicants, blue versus red. All sheep following political lines rather than thinking for themselves. However these people have the right to voice their opinions as much as you.

Don’t like it.. don’t read it. Simple enough for you?

June 15, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  6. Downs-grandpa

It's my belief that a Child deserves the best vessel to be born into that the Mother can provide. God has given the Modern Mother tools to determine if the vessel for the soul is viable or not. The mother should use these tools. Having seen the grief my Downs grandchild, now 16, goes thru every day because of severly restricted development. I know in my heart that God did not mean for this to be. As for Sarah Palin, this was her choice. But I do notice that she does not care for her Downs Child on a full time basis either. If you are a expected mother I pray you are tested early and make the correct choice.

June 15, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • That's What's Up

Good stuff gramps – I love it when Christians support abortion

June 15, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • Sharon

How many women do you know that care for their babies all day long?
      I know very few!

June 15, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Sean

@Downs

“God has given the Modern Mother tools to determine if the vessel for the soul is viable or not”

Wow really? I know it’s a historical tradition amount Christians to take ideas from others and claim it their own, but you are really reaching here.

“Having seen the grief my Downs grandchild, now 16, goes thru every day because of severly restricted development. I know in my heart that God did not mean for this to be”

I’ll give you a pass on how you know what ‘god’ wants and how or why he made mistake on this one.

June 15, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • Sean

among*

CNN please give us an edit option.

June 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  7. Wastrel

"What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God?" It's blasphemous, that's what I think of it. If you have these kind of ideas, keep them to yourself and pray for help.

June 15, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • GOD

god is everything everything is god nothing happens unless god willed it, good or bad the highest the lowest pleasure and paind smart and dumb sarah or your mom no matter what is said or done or to be it is of god

June 15, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

How can it be blasphemous if God was talking through her???????

June 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • GayAllTheWay

"How can it be blasphemous if God was talking through her"

God is talking through gays to show that we are created this way!

June 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  8. Nogs

What a pycho. Serious nut job. Thank God I live in Canada. Good luck!

June 15, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • Calvin

Please stay in Canada. Thank you.

June 15, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  9. GaryB

Well, I don't know that I would assume God's voice to announce my new child's health issues to family and friends (it seems a tad presumptuous), but I don't think this makes Palin particularly crazy either. The funny thing about this whole e-mail mania, is that any e-mails that had any particular "dirt" in them probably went from her private email account to other private emails accounts (some of Palin's staff members have admitted as much), so they wouldn't have shown up in the public record anyways.

June 15, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
  10. Guester

Wow. Weirder than normal from Palin.

June 15, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  11. Jody

God knows how to write without using run-on sentences.

June 15, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  12. bush limbush

So she truely drinks the religious kool-aid and doesn't just play it up for the camera... I'm not a believer – mainly because I have intelligence and common sense and can think for myself without being told that one group's beliefs are more correct than another groups beliefs. But don't you think that believers should wonder why downs syndrome (or cancer, AIDS, or any other disease) exists if god supposedly loves us all. How come palin never questions any of this?

June 15, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • Sean

Questions endanger faith. Can’t have them losing their security binky now can we?

June 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  13. jmsramsey

This is beautiful and why are you people so nasty to her? I really think it would be a wonderful world if special needs children ran it; it sure can't be any worse than it is.

June 15, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  14. sarah

Kind of an unusual way to go about it, but the sentiments were nice.

June 15, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  15. smiley face

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpEyqRtJw_E&w=640&h=390] 😀

June 15, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  16. Phil

Know God's will??? She is expressing her opinion on how her religion would place words in her situation. As any Christian must know...living the "straight path" requires the individual to decide for himself.

June 15, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Sean

“As any Christian must know...living the "straight path" requires the individual to decide for himself”

Oxymoron

They are called the flock for a reason.

June 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  17. Adam

Sounds like Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" – does she believe gays are made by God?

June 15, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • bush limbush

palin most definitely does not believe that god made gay people gay. she is absolutely opposed to gay people even though she probably won't say it openly (HA – pun). She believes her little bible book and the interpretation of it that she chooses to believe.

June 15, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Calvin

Gays need help, just like her baby did and still does. Gays don't have to remain in their darkness.

June 15, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
  18. Preacherman

One said that God's world was coming to an end on May 21, then changes it to October 21; another writes in the name of God as if to offer another nativity story. It's called pseudopegrapha. In biblical times, if you had something important to say but you suspected that people will not listen to you because of your station in life, you would write the message, anyhow and sign it with the name of some powerful person whose words deserve public attention.The thing is that we do not need to defend God. God is capable of defending himself against any human force. God likes humor too!

June 15, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • 666

How you know God likes humor? Have you talked to him?

June 15, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  19. Geez

Seriously this is the best you could come up with? You had over 20k pages of emails....

June 15, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Southern Christian

Embarrasing liberal media witch hunt. They will never learn.

June 15, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Bob

Southern, you don't sound very Christian to me.

June 15, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  20. Bus2

More religious loonies claiming to know god's will...

June 15, 2011 at 4:30 pm |