home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Kent

Beautifully written.

My one question is: why is the governor of Alaska sending out a lengthy, personal e-mail like this on "company time" (note the date: Monday, April 7, 2008 at 2:17)?

Must have been a slow day . . .

June 15, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • bishop

It's Alaska, how busy do you realy think it can be?

June 15, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Hahaha

Like all political office holders she's Exempt. She is paid for the work, not the hours she works. When you're in a position like that there is no work/life balance and none should be expected. If Obama sent out a personal email in the middle of the day it would be ok for him too.

June 15, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • ktbird

Not to mention Trig was born on the 18th. She might have already been home resting before the birth.

June 15, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
    • Mark C

I know it's hard for a Burger King employee like yourself to understand, but for professionals, "company time" is a very loose concept. I'm at work writing this right now. Later tonight I may well be doing work that I've brought home.

June 15, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
  2. AnnaLynne

She carried that poor kid around during the campaign alternating between the lion king pose or lugging him around like a loaf of french bread, where are his glasses and hearing aids that he needs?
    Where is Trig now? Alaska, Arizona? who knows, I guess he is hard to handle now and not a camera ready prop anymore.

June 15, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • Artist

I am not impressed at her as a mother from what I see. Her focus is clearly her career and not her child. She failed with her daughter and I have to wonder if she is failing with Trig?

June 15, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Normal American

stop smoking pot and do something with your life. Sorry for your deformity.

June 15, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  3. Russ

OMG, and I use the God part loosely! This woman is even more of a lunitic than I thought. Email from God? Exorcisms? Come on!! And there's people that consider her Presidential. I'd sooner have fruit cake Reagan back and his wife's Astrological guidance to run the country. Like so many of the bible thumpers, God is your way to deal with your weaknessess and inadequacies. If you have a problem, don't blame yourself, just say it's God's will. Grow up and take responsibility for lives instead of blaming the big magic man in the sky. Geeeeeezzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

June 15, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Moose Knuckle

Russ, you are a dumba**.

It is spelled: lunatic. Also, "There's people...should be There are people...
      Where does your reference to Exorcism come from? It is not in the e-mail. That is a indication of insanity or tourettes.

June 15, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Normal American

Russ, you sound like a girl. You write way too much, and I imagine you have very poor personal habits. Work on improving yourself before attacking others.

June 15, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • Thinker

@MooseKnuckle

Sarah Palin is associated with Pastor Thomas Muthee, whom laid hands on her and prayed before she ran for government and to whom she gives partial credit for her success to. He's also an infamous witch hunting exorcist that was behind driving some poor Kenyan woman out of her home with his accusations of witchcraft. I think she looked at a cow wrong once, or something equally stupid.

June 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  4. Laurie

The tears were filling up my eyes as I read this beautiful, thoughtful, loving message to friends and family near and far. As a special education educator – I must give Sarah Palin applause for her loving acceptance of her son as he is and her desire to share this message to all who would be a part of his life. It is with her leading example that she has set the tone for Trig's arrival and what is sure to be his life filled with as many wonderful memories as can be created. Thank you Sarah Palin for sharing this email with the rest of the world – it's a lesson all of humanity must remember.

June 15, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Deity Watching it all

My eyes filled with tears too. About this 'inspired lunatic" and her followers ever thinking that she could or should run a country. It would only end up in more "mixed up things down here", and then the big fellow up there would be really pretty puzzled and helpless. Imagine the mess a muddle brain like failin' Palin would create. No creator could clean that up. Well, we know already that he can't but what the hey, even if we pretend he could...

June 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • b__m

Comments like this gives me hope! I share same feelings

June 15, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
  5. Larry L

This says so very much about both Sarah Palin and the practice of religion. The entire concept of "talking " to God comes from a need for comfort or a devine explanation for challenging or threatening events – illness, death, etc. her version of what God would say is just as useless as that from theologians. They have always just made up theology and declared it to be "the word of God". It's just the word of the people who wrote it. The religion you practice is normally based on geography – the point on the earth where your mother gave birth.

June 15, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Moose Knuckle

Larry L...This is like beating baby seals. It is Divine, not devine. She never stated she was talking to God. It is cultural at most, not geographical.

June 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • Normal American

Wow, so smart, larry! You've got life all figured out. You should move to another planet where people are as insightful as you.

June 15, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
  6. Bill

I haven't read a lot about these emails, but from what I have read, it sounds like she wasn't quite the egotistical, ignorant nutjob that she is now while she was governor. It seems as though being thrust upon the national stage made her brain go a little 'rogue.' From what I have read of her emails, it sounds like she wasn't half-bad during her few months as governor.

June 15, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • dsny

you mean 2 and a half years

June 16, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  7. Jon

What would have happened if the child was born with a life threatening defect, like a heart problem or some form of cancer. What would the letter sound like then?

“Sorry for causing so much pain and heartache and since I am your God, I am going to have to take your child away from you. I’m sorry for the suffering but just understand that I have your child and you are going to suffer for the rest of your life...but I still love you!” Love God.

June 15, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • minimoo

It is interesting that more than a week before Trig "was born," she knew everything was going to be "perfect," isn't it?

June 15, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  8. AnnaLynne

If Trig is such a blessing why didn't they take him on the One Nation family vacation? Why does Screech pawn him off on her sister to look after? She really doesn't spend any time with him does she?

June 15, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • Thinker

@Normal American

Go away Sockpuppet. You're not fooling anyone. Post with one account at a time please.

June 15, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  9. Richard Cheese

Just one more instance to show this woman is totally unbalanced.

June 15, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  10. ckbabs

I am certainly not a Sarah Palin political fan but I thought this email was wonderful. It truly shows that she, as a mother, views her beautiful boy as a blessing and perfect in spite of what society may say. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to hear those words from your doctor and spend months carrying the baby, not knowing just quite what this extra chromosome means.... She embraced it and shows unconditional love. Truly refreshing. I wish we all could view everyone in the same light regardless of any differences 🙂

June 15, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • HealthyMom

I feel exactly the dame way. When I see her name in headlines I usually cringe, but this piece of news is actually refreshing!

June 15, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • molinelobo

Everytime some one starts out with "I am not a Plain Fan, But..", it is from a Palin family member.

June 15, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  11. 2tired2care

I think this is the clearest evidence yet that Palin is the anti-christ.

June 15, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  12. buckup

not only is she ready to be president of the world, she is ripe to start a new true religion.

June 15, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • minimoo

"She is ready to start a new true religion." Those words would not come out of the mouth of a Christian. Sounds like you worship Sarah Palin.

June 15, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  13. sneakers

I don' know how her office works but, I got fired for e-mailin friends and family from work

June 15, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • Nick

Are you sure it wasn't your spelling and punctuation?

June 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • Chris

Good one, Nick!

June 15, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  14. Really??!!

PUKE...what a blow hard.

June 15, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
  15. MiddleOfTheRoad

It's all about Sarah, isn't it. God is using Trig to let Sarah know how blessed she is. What a whack job.

June 15, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
  16. El Kababa

Of all the things Palin has said, this is the only one that is not worthy of criticism. This is just an expectant mother trying to make sense of the fact that old Yahweh had decided to give her a baby with Down's Syndrome. After all, she had been a faithful and true Believer who prayed daily and did all the right things. Why was Yahweh giving her a defective baby yet welfare loafers, Communists, Muslim terrorists, and union thugs got pretty, smart, flawless babies. It is quite a crisis, and there was no way out other than abortion.

Her rationalizations about why Yahweh makes bad things happen to good Christians were necessary for her to love this child. Was it possible that Satan had caused her child to have Down's Syndrome? We all know that Palin is not a very smart gal. She is not capable of sophisticated or complex thought. Give the gal a break. Just don't elect her to any office ever again.

June 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • BG

While I agree there are many more things to be annoyed with this person about...having to rationalize WHY a god mae this child this way in order to help you come to terms with it seems sad to me. I know I am projecting my stuff on her, but this is yet another person who believes in some deity being so self-centered as to rationalize why something 'bad' may have happened to her and what God had intended for her. Ridiculous and arrogant.

Her child was born with DS...and ya know, I can feel for her on that one. But this putting God into what happens in YOUR life is just arrogant and sad actually.

June 15, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • El Kababa

"Why to bad things happen to good Christians?"

The Church has spent 2,000 years and twenty million words trying to explain that one. The first Christian (in a sense) to ask that was Jesus himself, after he had hung on the cross for hours fully expecting to be rescued. The problem was, of course, that Yahweh only existed in the mind of Jesus.

June 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
  17. AnnaLynne

How did Ms. Palin know the pregancy was rushed along, she wrote this 5 weeks before his due date, and 2 weeks before he was actually born early? Maybe she wasn't pregnant?

June 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • El Kababa

On the other hand, maybe you are just making things up.

June 15, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • Moose Knuckle

You have unresolved isses, nut job.

June 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • minimoo

@El Kababa... her announced due date was printed in many different newspaper articles, including the one reporting on her announcement (at '7 months', but with a stomach flat as a board, of course) that she was pregnant. This letter (dated at the top, released from the State of Alaska) was written about 6 weeks prior to Palin's announced 'due date,' and 11 days before Trig was 'born.' How is that making things up? She's saying he was born prematurely almost two weeks before he was 'born'- prematurely.

June 15, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  18. Lily in Texas

May I suggest Ms. Palin read Matthew 25? Trig is a blessing. If only she realized that God gave her this gift so she could learn that not all Americans can afford the help, therapy and education for our special needs children thanks to the Republican Party Before Country and Profits Before People system of beliefs.

I hope Trig grows up to be a responsible, producutive memeber of society. I also hope he then asks his mom how she helped regular hard working Americans give their special needs children the same chance in life he got.

June 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • Jodie

Well said Lily.

June 15, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • Frogist

Damm straight, Lily. Excellent point.

June 15, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  19. Hwy 9

Have you ever in your life seen a more presumptuous, egomaniacal, narcissistic woman? Ever? Such things as this are OK in communicating with family and friends – not coming from an official office of the State of Alaska. Apparently, Palin knows no boundaries...

June 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • Randy

You liberals always talk about how mean Republicans are, and yet if you read and listen to what YOU say... YOU are the mean and hateful and judgemental ones. And Lily, why is it the governments role to care for your child any more than it is to care for my child? Just because yours has a "special" need, does not make him/her more special than my child. It does not make Sarah Palin evil, or Republicans evil, just because we have a different philosophy on the role of government than you do. I am certain that Sarah helps and gives through and in her local comunity, just as I do.

June 15, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Deity Watching it all

I have a feeling people are not responding to Sarah Palin's philosophy on the role of government.
      Read "Going Rogue" . The entire book is full of that sense of me, me, me, me this, me that, Sarah offended here, Sarah offended there. All about mini me sarah. And now even god speaks to her directly (haven't we heard that before?). The woman is a self centered stage hogging lunatic who's incapable to see how ridiculus her cutesey pee brain farts are. However she sure does know how to make lots of speeches (for big $$$$$$) and away from all of her kids, not just Trig.

June 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • Normal American

Wrong-O, tubby!

June 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
    • Frogist

@Hwy 9: This was a personal email to friends and family from her own yahoo account. It is not a memo from the governor of Alaska.

June 15, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

Frogist
      You are wrong this is an e mail from God through Sarah.

June 15, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  20. JOHN H

BRILLANT

June 15, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • Hwy 9

What's "brillant"?

June 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • David in Cincinnati

Sarah was secretly born in France. Where are the Neo-Birthers?

June 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm |