home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Steven in Charleston

I find it very interesting that, when confronted with a baby that would be different, Ms. Palin was willing to open her heart to the possibility that we, as humans, can get a bit narrow-minded in our definitions of "perfect" and "normal" but can't seem to extend the same level of compassion and courtesy to people who find themselves connecting in a mental, physical, and spiritual way with people of their own gender. I applaud Ms. Palin's willingness to embrace her differently-abled child - I just wish she had enough wisdom and humility to offer a similar embrace to those outside her own family.

June 15, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  2. RCPorter

I wouldn't count Palin among the living,she was brain dead from day one.Someone needs to pull her pull and shut her up.

June 15, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  3. Nate

I dont understand why you people are digging dirt on people's trash. This is politically motivated in my opinion. I dint even finished reading the first paragraph, dig some more, why journalism is heading to dirt diggin. Sad thing is ,it backfired to who ever started this...your journalism sucks.

June 15, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • oZ

As does your grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Does your mom know you're on the computer?

June 15, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  4. g

Freaking wing-nut should be locked up in a cage.

June 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  5. JoNasty

I can't stand Sarah Palin, her politics, or her rambling, but this has no place in the news. To try to imply that this email (for her family) is proof she is a self obsessed narcissist is classless. This was intended to bring comfort to her family who had a difficult, personal situation in front of them. I think this whole article is a low blow from a news corporation that should spend more time covering pertinent information.

June 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  6. Tj

Wow CNN sure is hard up! Oops, sorry I must be in the wrong place. this is where the bottom feeders go to feel relevent.

June 15, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • william

Another heartless liberal brain dead heard from.

June 15, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
  7. william

I cannot say I am a Palin fan. I can say I am sickened by the lunatics constant dogging her on everything. I wonder if any of the Liberal Sarah Palin Hatters even have a heart. We know now that their hated Sarah Palin dose.

June 15, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • oZ

"Hatters?" Idiot.

June 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  8. Lindy

I didn't finish reading it as it was just too boring but how dare she think she knows what God is thinking or saying. She thinks so much of herself that God has nothing better to do then fulfill what she wants but gives it a little blip....like mental retardation. As if he cares about anyone or anything. The world is a pretty sad place and God has nothing better to do than look down upon Sara Palin...wow.

June 15, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

What part of God was talking through her that you do not understand????

June 15, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • Tj

You obviously didn't understand the purpose of the letter. No one here can read between the lines. Most of you are just superficial.

June 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
    • Davethecanuck

I am far from a Sarah Palin fan... but you...

are one hate filled piece of human trash.

June 15, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • GayAllTheWay

"What part of God was talking through her that you do not understand?"

God is talking through gays to show the truth what part of that don't you understand?

June 15, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

GayAllTheWay

June 15, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
    • Amy

It's obvious from your response that you have never tried to achieve any understanding about Christianity or God. If you did, you would know that God has all the time in the world to look down on Sarah Palin. And me. And even you, despite your beliefs. I am no Sarah Palin fan, but I think that this email she wrote is lovely and heartfelt and completely positive about a situation where most people would choose to focus on the negative.

June 15, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
    • GayAllTheWay

"Your lifestyle is perverted and of the Devil and it is impossible for you to hear God's voice. Repent or burn for eternity."

No it's not and the evidence proves it. God loves us and Jesus is in this struggle with us. Praise Jesus! I was married to my husband before God and we are both baptized through our church. Now we will be blessed with a daughter next week. Praise Jesus!

June 15, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  9. Bill

I'm definitely not a Palin fan...she's done more to undermine the Republican Party than any Democrat (and I'm not a Rep or Dem)...but this email is innocuous and shouldn't be seen as anything other than what it was: a mom writing and preparing herself and her loved ones for the arrival of their newborn – and one that will have inherent challenges.

It'd be a shame for anyone to demonize her for this letter...any mother would write the same thing...besides, Palin has so many other wonderful qualities worth demonizing her for!

June 15, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
    • Linda

I agree. I have never liked a thing about Palin, but this letter is none of anyone's business. Shame on CNN for printing it. I realize she chose to share part of it, but its her choice to share her part. The headline of this story is meant to "shock," and there is nothing to this– and CNN, you are shameful.

June 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  10. Donna

Why are they publishing personal emails to family members? My husband works for the government too, and I'd be furious if someone printed our personal emails just because the could.

Signed, A flaming liberal.

June 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  11. schmit

LOL – "What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments" I scrolled right past it all just to comment. Without even looking.. let us see.. The atheists and their "congregation" have come to slam Palin in religion. You know, those self-proclaimed awesome atheists that say, "Don't push your religion on me!".. while blindly doing the exact same thing with the object of their religion? Their god... man.

June 15, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • Melina319

Not even close, Schmit. Next time, read the article before you post. You'll look much less ridiculous. And save your religious rants for another day. Better yet, just swallow them and keep them to yourself forever.

June 15, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  12. Cindy

I'm with Jackie. I absolutely do not support Palin in any public capacity, not even as my kid's third grade teacher, but the email was personal and moving. Palin is completely unqualified for office, but if she WAS qualified, composing and sending this "message from God" would not make her less so. Although it expresses a Hallmark version of God, it doesn't mean she's crazy. She's writing as a mom, not a politician, facing a big challenge. I was touched by it.

June 15, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

She did not write this, rather God spoke through her.

June 15, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • Jim

Moving? Maybe through the bowels. Palin is BSC.

June 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • GayAllTheWay

"She did not write this, rather God spoke through her."

Just like God speaks to everyone through the gays, showing how prejudice your hearts are without love!

June 15, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

GayAllTheWay
      I reject your lies in the name of Jesus

June 15, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
    • GayAllTheWay

"I reject your lies in the name of Jesus"

I reject your lies in the name of God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost! Praise Jesus for creating gays and lesbians to shine the truth on the prejudice of the hearts of those who tried to called themselves Christian. Repent now or burn in hell.

June 15, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
  13. DrJStrangepork

She was simply going through the steps of accepting this. She didn't write emails about her feeling of anger, depression, denial... She wrote an email once she accepted it. This is normal human behavior though the concept (email from God) is a little abnormal.

June 15, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

It was from God because God was talking through her.

June 15, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • GayAllTheWay

"It was from God because God was talking through her."

God is talking through me and others like me, that he loves us and we were created this way! Praise Jesus!

June 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

GayAllTheWay I reject your lies in the name of Jesus

June 15, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • GayAllTheWay

"GayAllTheWay I reject your lies in the name of Jesus"

June 15, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  14. Shelly

She wrote this before the birth. How did she know ahead of time that the birth would be rushed along?

June 15, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • bristol

She never said rused she said easy. this is how rumors are started

June 15, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • Melina319

Acutally Bristol, Shelly is right. I was wondering about the "rushed birth" thing myself. Try reading the email before you comment. Might prove helpful

June 15, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • Shelly

Bristol, read paragraph 5 of Mrs. Palin's email. She wrote "rush it along". Call your mom if you have any questions. 🙂

June 15, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  15. JON

Do some of you people have no shame! I find it unbelievable that the majority of you left wing nutcases can find something citical to comment about in this e-mail.

June 15, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

They are puppets of the Devil.

June 15, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • Mike E.

Not fan of Palin in the least but I have to say that the only thing wrong here is why we're talking about this. Many people use this writing technique as a way to deal with problems and resolve internal feelings. I learned about this when I lost a loved one and the premise is the same. You write a letter as if the person is writing to you. It's not channeling, it's a way of trying to put things into perspective and on paper. It's an excellent tool that has helped me often. To try an turn this into anything else is wrong and cruel.

June 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • schmit

agreed. The ever popular phrase from the unbelievers.. "you guys shove your religion down our throats." They have their own congregation, they have their own god (man).. and then they come out on every single faith-based post to slam people. Hypocrites... and they can't even see how hypocritical they are. Ignorance surely is bliss... turn a blind eye to the conscience so you can feel all warm and righteous in your unrighteousness... That surely makes ignorance blissful doesn't it? Can't allow another human to have an opinion or a discussion about something you don't agree with.. without slamming people. It's like dealing with a classroom of 5yr olds..... very disrepectful, unthoughtful, stirs up strife, causes arguements, confusion, hatred, etc. Sounds pretty wicked to me.

June 15, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • huxley

A national political figure is writing letters in the voice of her invisible friend, and you think its wrong to be concerned about that?

June 15, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  16. Doesn't matter

Only true Christians hear God's voice. I feel sorry for the those that do not listen and cannot hear.

June 15, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • Jim

You hear the voice of an invisible man who lives in the sky? Try Lithium.

June 15, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

Jim

You hear the voice of an invisible man who lives in the sky? Try Lithium.

So says the person that is blind and deaf that cannot see nor hear. Open your heart to Jesus. Jesus is the only way and if you refuse you will burn for eternity.

June 15, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • JW

That crazy guy who shot all those innocent people in Arizona heard voices too. Maybe you should talk to someone about the voice. I wish you the best.

June 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
    • HeavenSent

@Doesn't matter

You are the one that is deaf to the truth, your heart is closed by prejudice and pride. Repent now or go to hell!

June 15, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • schmit

that's what man does.. a drug here, a drug there.. here a little pill, there a little pill. It's all they know.. If someone experiences something different than what they experience... all of a sudden the other person is crazy. Sir, how do you not know you are the one that is crazy? Maybe you need Lithium to get away from your prideful self long enough to hear and see? Maybe?

June 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

The guy in Arizona was not hearing a real voice. I talk about the voice of God, Father of Jesus. God has a beautiful voice that words cannot decribe.

June 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

The HeaveSent above is a fake. I know.

June 15, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • HeavenSent

"The HeaveSent above is a fake. I know."

Spreading more lies, you are deaf to the truth!

June 15, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
    • i wonder

@Doesn't matter: "Only true Christians hear God's voice"

What does this voice say? What exactly?... anything that you don't already know?... or that you couldn't dream up using your imagination? Does it call you "My dear child" and say 'goeth' and 'doeth' a lot? *Anyone* can fantasize stuff like that.

June 15, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

i wonder
      if you have to ask what it sounds like then you are not a true Christian. I would be wasting air trying to explain what you will never hear. I cannot show you when you are already blind.

June 15, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • HeavenSent

"I would be wasting air trying to explain what you will never hear. I cannot show you when you are already blind."

You are the blind one since your heart is cold as ice without the love of Christ residing it. You are the work of the devil.

June 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • i wonder

@schmidt: "get away from your prideful self"

If you think that an omniscient, omnipotent, magnificiently superb supernatural being loves YOU, talks to YOU and wants to spend eternity with YOU is as PRIDEFUL and EGO-FILLED as one can get.

June 15, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
    • Double Standard

Hey look everyone Doesn't matter has taken on changing handles just like all the non-believers she condemns. LOL!

June 15, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  17. Pam in Minnesota

I think this was a beautiful, inspiring message meant for Trig's loved ones. I think we should be ashamed of the media for trying to make something out of this and anyone trying to justify their own "demonization" of Sarah Palin (because her politics and religious beliefs are different from theirs) should also be ashamed of themselves!

June 15, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • Jim

B S C

June 15, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • Melina319

I'm not ashamed at all for feeling that this was a terribly insulting email. It has nothing to do with how I feel about her as a politician. Put yourself in the child's shoes for a moment. When he's old enough to understand what this email says, he's going to wonder why his mother felt that she needed to prepare everyone for his life and remind them that the world certainly won't be competing to have him. It's cruel. And I think it's tacky to write and email from God, but that's a different issue.

June 15, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
  18. bristol

Good for you Palin! it's hard for some people to look up the facts and truths and just go along like sheep. Palin tried to stop the emails from being released but peolple are so intent on doing her in, so they were released and lo and behold she comes off like a smart caring genuine person. Palin has more education and patriotism than probaly all you haters on this blog

June 15, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • Tri-G - Trisomy G

hahahaa good one. shouldn't you be taking care of your babies? oh I forgot all you regular folks have nannies.

June 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Shelly

In her paragraph number 5 she said "rushed it along". It is written there so this is not a made up rumor.

June 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm |

A real patriot wouldn't have the audacity to run for office if they weren't qualified. Don't lecture CNN posters on patriotism when the woman contributes to the U.S.'s international image as a joke. And as far as her education is concerned, you're either deluded or an idiot.

June 15, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • Doubtful

Palin took six years to graduate from community college, and she and her husband support a separatist party whose founder said, “The fires of hell are frozen glaciers compared to my burning hatred of the US government.” Doubtful that she has a fraction of either the education or the patriotism of any poster on this board, other than maybe her supporters.

Bonus fact just for you: As mayor of Wasilla, she got $26.9 million in federal earmarks for the city (not that she likes pork, you betcha!). Somehow, she nonetheless managed to spend every penny of that, and leave Wasilla with $20 million in debt from her six years of "leadership." [Wasilla has about a $5 million budget, so she spent about two years' budget for every year she served.]

Run along and vote for her now.

June 15, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  19. Marilyn

I think we as a people make mountains out of mole hills. I am not a Rep. or Dem. At the moment I am simply a mom and instead of looking for and seeing crazy I saw compassion and love for this child and the rest of her family. Why do we have to pick everything to death?

June 15, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  20. cbr

Each child is special and I would hope that all parents feel this way when a baby is born. Each child may have some special needs that are not known until after their birth or even later in life. There are support groups available for you.

I would urge parents of children with Down Syndrome to find the Down Syndrome Society chapter in their area and go to meetings. The support is there for you.

Ms. Palin and her family responded to Trig's birth in their own way. Her email should stand as at is without criticism or praise. This email should have been a private matter and left out of these papers.

June 15, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • Shelly

Sarah Palin put this email in her book -Going Rogue! Sarah Palin made this public.

June 15, 2011 at 5:14 pm |