home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. PK

I can't believe a personal email like this is newsworthy. There's got to be something more important. Writers are trying way too hard to find something in those emails...

June 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  2. bubbahu?

palin may need some rest ...... a lot of rest ....... maybe she can get some medical help if she needs it/would it make a difference ?

June 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  3. Hup derp hup

Is that her "derp" face?

June 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  4. K L

Disclaimer: I'm no fan of Mrs. Palin the politician, but that email is very sweet overall and handles a difficult and emotional topic fairly well.

June 15, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  5. Obamamnesty

These sick dems on here have just proven now powerful Palin is! We know more about her past than we do Obama's! What was his grade point? Where is his college papers and applications? Did he get student aid? We know absolutely nothing about him but we can sure pound on Sarah. What a huge bunch of CNN losers. May God help you all.

June 15, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
    • Ned Flanders

What was Palin's GPA and at what rinky-dink school did she go to again? Not hard to be head of the class when you're competing against lesser students

June 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • JonPeter Hartford, CT

Didn't Sarah pray for a GOP win in the 2008 election ? The note from god to Sarah should read "prayer rejected". LOL

June 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  6. Adam

I think doing what Palin did is a good excercise in attempting to focus on what God thinks, not what we think. It of course isn't a perfect excercise because we are not perfect creatures. We're fallen creatures. But God gave us His Word. And on that information one can garner a terrific understanding of who God is and what He thinks and wants for us.

June 15, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
    • Adam

People like Westboro Baptist Church clearly aren't interested in finding out what God wants. If they were, they would take into account what the other 90 percent of the Bible has to say.

June 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • Adam

He's also blessed us with a conscience.

June 15, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • Adam

I'll just continue to reply to my own comments. I'm really enjoying this conversation with myself.

June 15, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  7. Michelle

I personally think she sounds like a condescending idiot, but sometimes I do too. I feel like, if I wrote this, I would look back and feel stupid, but I recognize that I might be stupid enough to write something like this. Meh.

June 15, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
    • Melina319

I totally agree. It's very condescending. The worst part was when she, I mean God, tells them that they will be the only ones who want the child and that the rest of the world will definitely not be competing for him. I sincerely hope that the child never knows what she wrote.

June 15, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  8. Cecil Nixxon

If that baby is such a blessing, why isn't she at home being a good Mom? I have a DS child and could not imagine letting the nanny take care of her while my spouse and pursue our personal aspirations. Palin's a poor excuse for a mother.

June 15, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • Maty

Right, because the only good women are those that can afford to be a stay-at-home Mom. You are very shallow.

June 15, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
    • oZ

I don't think money is an issue in this case, Maty. You are very dumb.

June 15, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
  9. Claudia, Houston, Tx

I believe that God doesn't make mistakes but her husband Todd's sister also has a down syndrome child approximately 13 years old which you've never heard Palin speak of, what's up with that.

June 15, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  10. Nonyo Bizniss

PEOPLE PLEASE DONT VOTE FOR THIS WOMAN......PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE DONT VOTE FOR THIS WOMAN

June 15, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  11. Sam Barber

I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you! And you will give this baby your "best" by jetting and busing around the country giving speeches and pretending to look like you know something, while your baby is being mostly cared for by others.

-God-

June 15, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • bristol

and she is different from other politicians because............

June 15, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • Patrick

How is she different?

Governor Sarah Palin exposed corruption "in the Republican Party" and collusion between the Oil Companies. She alone, spearheaded the "clean up" of that corruption. One of the key reasons she is hated by Rhinos.

She has street cred of a type no one now in the race has.

June 15, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
  12. bristol

I can't wait to read Obams and potty mouth Bidens e-mails ohh weee. I must have missed Clintons email that would probaly be a steamy novel

June 15, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • Sam Barber

Nice attempt at deflection!

June 15, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • bristol

No deflection just fair play whats the problem?

June 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  13. newsj

I don't think it's "normal" for someone to be writing of a message as if he/ she was "God".

June 15, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • Amy

Funny, people write from other people/thing's perspectives all the time. Hell, I read a book written from the perspective of a dog – obviously you are not a literary-minded person. After reading this, I've come to the conclustion that she seems to be very well-spoken and not nearly as unintelligent as her opponents would have you believe. .

June 15, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  14. el slimmo

As an agnostic, moderate, independent non-supporter of Palin, I think this email shouldn't be news. But when you're gettin' ready to be runnin' for President, by golly, then everything gets scrutinized. We already know she believes in a man in the sky, so no surprise there. But this email actually softens and humanizes her. As much as I dislike her, she IS a person and has feelings. She deals in fear and polarization, but maybe she's not ALL evil after all.

June 15, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  15. Julie Scroggin

Is this the worst they could come up with, after pouring over hundreds of emails? The pettiness is amazing.

June 15, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  16. Obamamnesty

I expect nothing less from CNN in their continued attempt to dis-credit Palin. Typical left wing media! Some talk about Palin not being qualified to be POTUS or any public office should look no further that who is in office now!

June 15, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • Susan

I agree-it appears all the people at CNN, including Joy Behar!!!, have nothing better to do that trash Sarah Palin- LEAVE THE WOMAN ALONE FOR GOD'S SAKE. The US has far more pressing issues than continuous trashing of Mrs. Palin-enough already@@@

June 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • guest

Uh,she isnt qualified to be the President,but that doesnt mean I would mock her for this,and I would definitely not mock her differently abled child.Anyone who picks on a kid to get to her,no matter how much you disagree with her other views,is simply mean.

Bush,Obama,whoever.As a democratic nation we should respect our leaders.Its not like we have to deal with the ayatollah

June 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • bristol

I never have to question or ask where her loyalties are. Not a foreign country, she is all American

June 15, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  17. Jodi

So beautiful - it made me almost shed a tear. I have never her hatefulness towards our Commander in Chief but I think this letter demonstrates a very personal side of her. All of us as parents can relate.

June 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  18. Albiem

It's a sweet, letter reaffirming her own faith. I see nothing wrong with it at all.

June 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  19. joyce blackwell

CNN should be ashamed of themselves. This is personal and not to be debated on. How about checking out all of Obama's emails and see what you find. This is a news page, not the Enquirer.

June 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  20. CR

I admire the compassion and love that Ms.Palin reflects in her email, and her courage to accept her kid.

The problem I see, is that Christian Evangelicals often talk as if they are speaking for God (as she does here), and want to force their religious views down the throat of other people, and enforce their morals upon others.
    I would respect Ms. Palin more, if she writes the email coming from her heart and mind as a loving mother, rather than God.

June 15, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • Amy

I would respect your almost-objective response to reading this letter if you were able to recognize that her heart and her mind and her ability to be a loving mother almost certainly comes from her faith and her relationship with God.

June 15, 2011 at 5:34 pm |