home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Southern Greek

I thoroughly enjoy watching the frenzy of frustration as unprecedented scrutiny and bile is heaped upon this woman, to no avail. It must be incredibly unsatisfying to think you finally have a plan to humiliate and discredit her, only to have her emerge unscathed and actually a more sympathic character.

June 15, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  2. Sarah Palin's Shocking Bikini Wax Disaster

Well, if you ever wondered what Sarah Palin did when she got too old to be playing with Barbie dolls but still wanted to, the answer is that God became her Barbie. She talks for him and thinks for him and writes stuff for him. She decides what he does and why he does it. It's just so cute!

God is just her (and your) imagination making up all sorts of little-child stories and ideas. Barbie-God does not need to answer for the bad stuff, like "why did God make Trig have a terrible disease?"

God is the new Barbie.

June 15, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • FEAR

Funny! and true

June 15, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  3. Matthew

It is funny how we abandon God and people get more and more evil and our society gets worse and worse. You do know that God didn't send lightning or miracles to take out Israel... he sent foreign invaders like the Assyrians and Babylonians (can you say Al Quada today?) and he caused famine, environmental, and economic disasters (ring a bell). You people call God evil but look at yourself. It is naturally for good to crush evil and teach it a lesson. Maybe that is why your lives and America stinks so much right now.

June 15, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • Mark C

My life is fine. On the other hand, you sound like you need help.

June 15, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • Don't let the Facts Stand in the Way of your Opinions

What the hell are you talking about? Society has gotten better: prosperity in America now is massively better than 50 years ago. Medicine is radically better. Crime rates are down, especially violent crime. Infant mortality rates are much, much lower, death from starvation is far rarer, and the average person enjoys luxuries beyond the wildest imaginations of earlier generations.

Of course there are still problems – there always will be. But it is just madness to run around claiming that America is in decay. America is doing really well, and we are nowhere near being at the end of the line.

You must really hate America.

June 15, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • GayAllTheWay

My life is incredibly blessed, I have a great Church, a loving husband, nice home, great job and live in a wonderful community. My neighbors are loving and fun. So is your life miserable? If so, maybe you should turn to God and Jesus love fill your heart.

June 15, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

GayAllTheWay
      your church cannot be a true Christian church

June 15, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
    • GayAllTheWay

"your church cannot be a true Christian church"

Of course it is a true Christian church! Praise Jesus for such loving people and a blessed minister. I reject your hatred in the name of Jesus!

June 15, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
  4. Jay

Now that the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya are over CNN can focus on the real news.

June 15, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • Aztrazolo

I'm sure every second of your day is devoted to higher ideals and principles. That not a moment of it is given to lighthearted fluff, frivolity, abandonment, or entertainment. It's hard to understand how you've gotten this far in life without discovering that news organizations have been defiantly ignoring your litmus tests for worthwhile news stories and trying to sell papers, but we are ever indebted to you for tolerating it- and us, the other lowly amoeba and protozoa.

June 15, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  5. bristol

@guest we are a Republic not a Democracy

June 15, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
    • Shelly

Please explain in detail.

June 15, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • Aztrazolo

How about you go to a library instead.

June 15, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • bristol

please, please take an American government class do yourself a favor

June 15, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  6. Anchorite

A good example of fundamentalist Christians in general. If they want something, they say God told them he wants it. If they have a prejudice or a hatred, they say the Bible supports it. They don't believe in God, they believe they ARE God. Why read the Bible when you can just make up stuff and say of course God would agree with you because you're a good American/Christian?

June 15, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
    • fbcx

I'm not a fundamentalist Christian either, but your hate is getting in the way of understanding the real message here. You will never get it because you hate her so much you can't see her for what she really is. So many other normal people can easily see that she is just like them and that is the source of her power and charisma. I do not support her candidacy, neither am I terrified of it as you and your ilk appears to be. I am simply reacting to the facts, not the fiction you are trying to create about this woman. You would be wise to look at yourself long and hard before you attempt to pillory her for being simply human.

June 15, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  7. fbcx

I remember writing letters to my son from Santa Claus on Christmas Eve and once even writing one to him from God on the event of his Confirmation. I don't see this as much different. Sweet and considerate to her firends and family.She may not be the best Presidential Candidate, but she certainly can't be faulted for being a bad mother or an uncaring person.All this blow up over e-mails that showed her to be nothing but a working Governor and a caring mother haven't dimished her in any way. If anything they diminish all those who have tried to villify her from the beginning. We are such a sad and cynical people these days, I would argue we don't deserve someone as down-to-earth and real as Sara Palin.

June 15, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  8. Ann Price

As a Christian, I admire Sarah's words. She loves God and spoke from her heart as she felt God would speak. Why does CNN and the many who post to this network find a need to ridicule everything she does? Good news though. Sarah will not have to give an account to God on this subject. All those who are critical of her deep beliefs in God will most certainly give an account to HIM about their behavior. I am so thankful, Sarah does not really care what her critics think.

June 15, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  9. Not Impoprtant Who I Am

What i find so interesting about all of this is this......and this has bothered me for a long long time.....if Sarah is so hip on having this child – the very special child – the child who will bring so much happiness to her life – why isn't she ever with this child? I mean, really, she is pro-life, but I ask you, what kind of life does this child have without a mother? Who is tending this gift from god as she runs all over the place making an ass of herself? Did you notice how many times, she holds him only for an instant before pushing him off to someone else. It is sad, and she should reevaluate pro-life and what it means. She needs to give this child a life.

June 15, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
    • liza

The exact same thing could be said about all the Hollywood moms & dads, or for that matter all the working moms who shove their kids into daycare from 6am-7pm. The fact is that Sarah Palin, love her or hate her, kept this child knowing he had special needs which a lot of people would not do. It's a lifetime commitment even if that includes nannies and other caregivers.

June 15, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
    • Anchorite

She is pro-life except the lives of Iraqis, Iranians, Afghanis, Pakistanis, Alaskan wildlife, the poor, minorities, non-Christians, people who don't agree with her. That unborn baby with down syndrome ought to have the right to vote and carry a gun, but 650,000 Iraqi civilians don't have the right to live, much less have a say in their own future or government.

June 15, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • liza

And aborting a down's syndrome baby changes that how? Stop arguing with yourself and go do something for the world if you're that frustrated.

June 15, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  10. MattMan

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby..." That line sounds like an attempt to rationalize away the fact that she was irresponsible and got knocked up.

June 15, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
    • bristol

WHAT? iresponsible knocked up she is not 15 ding a ling she is a married sucessful woman who chose to have another baby

June 15, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • Anchorite

According to her own words she didn't CHOOSE to have the baby, she got knocked up by accident, just like her daughter. Some mother.

June 15, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • MattMan

The baby was a "suprise"...meaning "unplanned." I don't believe she intended to have another kid at her age while she was governer.

June 15, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • Mark C

Uh, not a Palin fan - the woman is an idiot - but you may actually be even dumber. It's not "irresponsible" if you are willing and able to bear the consequences, which she obviously was.

June 15, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • FEAR

oh come on we all know it's her daughters baby...........

June 15, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • MattMan

Mark C.,
      I'm not saying she's irresponsible in having dealt with it...but irresponsible in getting knocked up in the first place. Many couples over 50 have mastered the technique of having "relations" without getting pregnant...birth control pills, contraceptives...or just old fashion "pulling out." There aren't many couples at there age getting pregnant...sure it happens...but something went wrong.

June 15, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  11. rand

MEMO to media.........this is going to backfire on you. Most people look at what she's written as very touching. I'm not a Palin fan but your attempt to mock her with this will fall flat..............

June 15, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • Lynn

very true

June 15, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
  12. yukonmukon

This perfectly illustrates why so much of the country is in love with this woman as a politician. Many see her as an empowered version of themselves: unworldly and religiously deranged.

June 15, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • Well

Hmmm

June 15, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  13. KindaSorta

I hope this letter brings comfort to Trig himself someday. I do however wonder does he go on the road with her? Most children need stability and I would guess so does Trig.

June 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  14. ziggy

Trigg babies are what MD's call children born with the Trisomy G, the genitic defect that causes Downs Syndrom. This woman is just shovelling more crap down the throat's of the people who will eat it. There is nothing in the "Norse religion" that relates the name Trigg to "true bravery". Hey TeaBaggers, it's dinner time and crap is on the menu. enjoy!

June 15, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  15. Obamamnesty

How many women would not abort with today's advance tests that can show Downs and other disorders. What a bunch of sick people. No wonder CNN ratings are so low! Wow

June 15, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  16. Stacy

wonder if she'd appreciate the diversity of people so much if one of her spawn told her they were gay???

June 15, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  17. Brad

I think the letter is great. Something I would think in my mind or my mother or grandmother would write for their child. It shows her true faith in God and her character. She means well for the world and will serve this country as president the way she serves her children as a mother. She would do anything to protect it. God has slipped away from this Nation and politics...its time to bring him back into the picture...and just maybe we will be what we act as we are. Palin 2012. Amen!

June 15, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • oZ

Ignorance supporting ignorance. Shameful. You'll see the problem if this intolerant nutjob somehow makes it into office.

June 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • Stacy

you realize you are saying it was "better" when women, gays, blacks and other religions "knew their place" and let hetero, white, men run everything??? NOPE, it wasn't better then.

June 15, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • Loancar

I think its called being Crazy, you should get it checked out by a pro

June 15, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  18. Sniffit

This is what she was using her government email account for? There's no warm and fuzzy here for me. The woman is a TWIT. She should've been doing work while at work and on her government-provided computer using her government-provided email account. Using public resources for private crap is jsut that. We gonna give her a pass for doing it just beacuse it's all religious and sticky-sweet while the GOP runs around screaming bloody murder and claiming that Weiner did private thigns on his public computers and hang Weiner out to dry just because it was "yucky"? I see no difference jsut because of the supposed difference in the quality of the content.

June 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • oZ

There were personal emails, as well.

June 15, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  19. Ned Flanders

God didn't make mistakes huh? I guess that's why he create gay people too...so they must not be mistakes...where's your love Sarah for them?

June 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  20. Bernie

This is a non-story. And I'm not at all a fan of hers–the prospect of her as president frightens me. Others have posted ihere already that she was trying to comfort family and friends and prepare them for the birth of her child. We all deal with difficulty in different ways. I'm just as disturbed by the insensitivity and hate from those who usually preach acceptance of others' views. People on the far left and right really need to find their hearts.

June 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm |