home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. William

How deliciously ironic that the liberal media's obsession with destroying Sarah Palin leads them to take the unprecedented and pathetically desperate step of wading through thousands of personal email messages in a search for dirt, and the fruit of all their labor is that she comes out looking better than ever in the minds of all rational, objective observers. If laughter is a gift, consider liberals the world's real life Santa Claus! LMAO

June 15, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  2. Nathansabers11

if you read her book you would have already known about this..........

June 15, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  3. Steve

That twitty face. Looks like a chirping bird! So sad, so sad. And she has followers that hang onto every word!?!?

June 15, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
  4. John Baker

Very touching. I can't stand Palin, but that was very touching.

June 15, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
  5. schoolbus

Wow... some of you people out there really need help! So much pathetic, unwarranted anger towards a woman who, aside from the fact that you don't like here polotics, is obviously a nice, sweet family-oriented lady that cares about people and her Country. Some of you really need to go and have your heads examined...

June 15, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
  6. TOdd

Dan Gilgoff must be moronic. I think it was selfish of Palin to have a baby at a age when she knew it wasn't safe for the baby.Now poor Trig is stuck with this unholy woman.

June 15, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
    • schoolbus

Yeah... poor little Trig... that must really suck to grow up with a Mother's unwavering love... but what would you know anyway, you're probably just another latch-key kid schmuck out there from a broken home who never had the love of mommy and daddy that you so craved... now you're a bitter uneducated POS hater! Enjoy your lousey life...

June 15, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  7. Penny Lady

I cannot stand this women, but this is actually very sweet. This is coming from a liberal atheist. So...all you jerks, calm down.

June 15, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
  8. blunted-

All those emails and this is all the libs could come up with? lol.. losers.

June 15, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • sugartaste81

Let me guess..you're a birther.

June 15, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • jim

actually, liberals aren't trying to "come up" with anything. liberals just deal with facts. conservatives, on the other hand, tend to ignore facts and all too often resort to attempted belittling and name calling.

June 15, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
    • John Baker

I'm a liberal, and I loved her letter.

June 15, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  9. glassman

I thought Palin's letter was beautiful and perfect. It's given me a personal respect for her that I did not have before reading the letter.

June 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  10. William

There is nothing in this world more insecure than a liberal. Watching them incessantly and desperately trying in vain to tear Palin down is as hilarious as it is pathetic.

June 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
    • sugartaste81

Please...she writes the punchlines herself, the evil libruls don't have to do a damn thing.

June 15, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
  11. DJ

As if we needed further proof that this woman is a NUTJOB. Sarah Palin is the reason they invented the remote control for televisions. When she comes on I TURN THE CHANNEL!

June 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  12. Rob

OK..not a fan of Palin. However, what she did here was sweet. Those of you who would mock this are just plain wrong for doing so. Yes, she may appear to be making an anti-abortion statement, but she sent this to just her family and close network of friends and associates. Those of you who would find a way to villify her are no better than she is.

June 15, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
    • Cynthia

The message WAS positive, even 'sweet', but the fact she wrote it as though it were from God is just a little off. The message would have been just as powerful, their love and acceptance of a child with specials needs just as inspiring, if they had been more personal in their approach. It is odd that Ms. Palin sounds almost as if she is expecting everyone to see her 'hair coat' and to applaud the parents.... As much as I distrust Ms. Palin (can't call her Gov., even as a courtesy, since she quit when she got bored), I believe that Trig is a welcomed, loved and appreciated child.

June 15, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
  13. Darkwolf

This Palin woman is nuttier than squirrel poop.

June 15, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  14. Frauds Gift HOW SWEET

This just shows how big of a psycho she is. I bet she really believes that this was gods voice. She is a sick sick women. She needs to be locked up, and have her kids taken away for abusing them by pushing such a vile religion down their throats. A religion that opens children up to molestation, brain washing, ignorance and guilt. Not to mention FEAR. at such an early age? SORRY IT IS CHILD ABUSE!!

June 15, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  15. Mike

I am not a fan of Palin, but this article is clearly slanted and making something out of nothing. This is bad reporting when there are so many more pressing issues to talk about.

June 15, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  16. Amanda

Believe me when I say I am NO fan of Sarah Palin. 99.9% of the time, she enrages me. More to the point, it enrages me that some people in this country actually take her seriously as a candidate for the presidency.

Having said that, I think this letter is sweet. It is her way of communicating that although her baby will be "different," he will be special and loved just the same. If her way of doing that is by writing a mock letter from God, so be it. She has the right to her religious beliefs (just like everyone else). Having said that, I do have a problem with her complete lack of regard for separation of church and state - but this is a private e-mail about a family matter, not a political or government thing.

June 15, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  17. Bribarian

Damn what a beautiful woman. It's great watching liberal hecklers going line by line of her emails searching for a typo to make headline news.

June 15, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • ScottK

To bad she has a brain only a mother could love...

June 15, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • FEAR

yeah because republicans never scrutinize anything an opposing party writes or says, right?.............idiot.

June 15, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  18. Drop the Religious Blinders From Your Eyes and See The World As It Is

Birth defects make no sense if there is a loving God. They make perfect sense if the world operates according to natural laws where flaws are inevitable.

June 15, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • Alan Canon

Agreed. Palin's such a faith-head, she can't even avoid exploiting the birth of a baby, and one with disabilities at that, to push her sick religious agenda from the bully pulpit of the Governor's office. I expect that by now, with the baby something like three years old, that even with Down's Syndrome, she is even now forcing the fear of Hellfire and damnation into his poor little mind, telling him, as she rocks him to sleep, that he and everyone he ever meets is a damned sinner. What an evil woman. Sarah, that non-believing baby is more moral than you will ever be.

June 15, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
    • Vanity

Clearly you think there is something wrong with "defective" people. Can "gods" and "natural laws" not both exist? Blinded eyes will expel the possibility of one or the other.

June 15, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • rdcoyote

Even as a christian, I whole heartedly agree with what this person is trying to say. God doesn't make people sick and is not responsible for birth defects or natural disasters. This is a fallen world and everything perfect God created was corrupted when sin broke the order. People blame God, or find a religious way to spiritualize and explain things because they don't know Him as well as they think they do. Most believers have a personally unique view of God that is often inaccurate and doesn't line up with the New Testament. I apologize to non Christians, because so many of my christian brothers and sisters don't understand God to the extent they would have you believe. He is offering grace and peace. He is not responsible for the challenges in our lives, instead he provides an answer.

June 15, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  19. Randy

What a nitwit she is I pray she just goes away soon it would be better for all of us.

June 15, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
  20. Danko Ramone

Meh, I'm not a Palin fan at all, but I can't say it reflects particularly negatively on her. At worst, it's a little trite in a "high school essay on a 'deep' topic" kinda way, or in the well-meaning "if you agree, pass it on," email kind of way.

June 15, 2011 at 5:45 pm |