home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. yogaenthusiast

can't stomach the woman, but I have no problem with her 'email from god'. I believe in the right to choose, but again, no problem with her welcoming her son Trig. I don't believe there is a supreme being, but have no problem with her having a direct line from/to this alleged being. What I have a problem with, is the fact that so many conservatives worship her and but for the grace of 'god' we could have ended up with this bimbo as our supreme leader. Now that really scares me.

June 15, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
    • :Ponder this

Once again Sarah's ghostwriters fail. The fact that this was not written by Sarah, Our Lady of Perpetual Victimhood, is extremely evident. In such a long missive it would be impossible for her not to, at least inadvertently, use her own "cutesy, folksy vernacular.

Even accepting the premise that it was supposely written as though it came from the Creator, Sarah is totally unable to write that many sentences, grammatically correctly, with commas, and periods.

In summary, the absence of Palinspeak points out absolutely that it is not authentically Sarah's.

June 15, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  2. JoshB

Props to Palin on this one. I don't buy the whole Palin political thing, but this is a well written, well thought out email!

June 15, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • zaphod2000

@joshb – a well thought out anything from her was NOT written by her. The woman can't put a sentence together. Let me rephrase that, she doesn't know the meaning of commas and periods.
      Anything that sounds intelligent and insightful didn't come from her. Get real.
      She is a freaking fake and you are all falling for it.

June 15, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  3. ScottK

Is Sarah Palin now more famous than Alaska? Let's take the quiz:

1. Had you ever heard of Wassilla before you heard of Palin?
    2. When you think of Alaska's wildlife is a "Mama Grizzly" the first thing that springs to mind?
    3. Did you know that the Aleut word Alaska literally means "the object towards which the action of the sea is directed"?
    4. Did you know Alaska stretches further west than Hawaii?
    5. Do you know how many years Sarah Palin served as Gov.?
    6. Who knows the book "Going Rogue" is not a D & D fantasy novel?
    7. What year was the Alaska Gold rush?

If you got more Sarah questions right she just might be more famous than Alaska. It's a sad sad day.
    answer to #7 is 1897

June 15, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • zaphod2000

Who cares? Alaskans want to be left alone. They didn't want to be known for voting for this bimbo for mayor and governor! Why do you think she is moving to Arizona? She doesn't have a chance in heck of being elected anything in AK but she might have a chance in AZ because the sun must make people stupid. They voted for mccain after bringing the she devil out from under a rock.

June 15, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  4. AntiPalinAlaskan

When that email was received, did the computer say "Thou Hast Mail"?

June 15, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
  5. Apollo

Zeus, is that you messing with their heads again? We had an agreement!

June 15, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • Puck

What foolish mortals, eh? Email. Huh. They can have it. Bloody knee-biters....

June 15, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
    • Zeus

That wasn't me. Or rather, it was, but only in a historical, allegorical sort of way. Aphrodite was looking for you earlier, btw.

June 15, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
    • Jupiter

Is this seat taken? Ahhh. My back is killing me. I'm not as young as I used to be. Move over. I'm not getting any skinnier either.

June 15, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  6. Adam

I didn't read this article because it is clearly not news. It's shameful you claim to be a news source and then publish this garbage. Grow up and do your job and report on things we actually need to know.

June 15, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • gremlin

I don't like Palin at all. And I find the piece slightly nauseating. But almost every newspaper and TV news program has an opinion column. This is filed under "religion blog." What hits the front website is what is most often clicked on. Opinion pieces often get highlighted there. CNN did nothing wrong here.

June 15, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  7. rhyemskeema

These are the dopes who want to be president.

June 15, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
  8. anobody

America needs a problem solver not a trouble maker. Palin = Kook and quitter and nothing besides.

June 15, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
    • anybody

I agree with "anybody". She is a kook, quiter, and is a legend in her own mind. I think nothing more working there and her star is fading. And as far as biblical goes, the Bible says there will be false prophets and you will know them by their deeds. Let's all move on and leave her to her fantasies and basking in the undeserved attention she gets.

June 15, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  9. schoolbus

Anyone else find it oddly curious that the mass media did absolutely no homework 3-4 years ago on the little-known Senator named Barak Obama who had absolutely ZERO experience doing anything of substance... but they find the time to riffle thru 25k personal Palin e-mails searching for dirt? She hasn't even stated whether or not she's running for presidency? So Pathetic!

June 15, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
    • Chad

Palin's an easy target, the ridiculous things she says paints a big one on her back.

June 15, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
    • Mikey

What are you talking about??? The media did plenty of research on him. It was Palin that was not vetted, hence the need to chase down facts on her – her own running mate did not know the answers to where she went to school, what her beliefs were etc.

June 15, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  10. God

When I send an email, it's gonna arrive in a roll of thunder and lightning. There won't be any doubt about it.

June 15, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  11. George

It is scary that most of our politicians are into this religion crap. I want someone logical not some idiot that believes in wizardry in the sky. Our world needs to decrease the need for this stupid thing called religion.

June 15, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  12. Ross

im wondering if this was written on paid time?

June 15, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
  13. Murphys Law

She is F'D up in the head. It is so scary to me that this individual came thisclose to helping run our country. And to think that, if McCain had been elected and then something had happened to him, she would have become our president? Seriously, it scares the sh!t out of me. I wish she would just go away for good. and take her craziness with her, because I'm sick of always seeing articles and new stories out there about her and her wacked out family.

June 15, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
    • schoolbus

Wow you make me laugh... people like you represent the "crap of the crop"

June 15, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
  14. Political Scammer or Terrible Mother?

On April 7 (11 days before Sarah supposedly gave premature birth and six weeks before her due date), she wrote, "I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news." Did she write this because: Trig was already born so Trig would have to be rushed or "premature"? Sarah's pregnancy was easy for Sarah because she was not the birth mother? Sarah and Todd were getting ready to spring a political scam that involved a heroic rush from Texas to Wasilla, complete with labor pains, leaking amniotic fluid, and Down syndrome? Sarah knew she'd want the letter ready to send out to a broad audience that included her staff in 11 days (which she did)?

The above scenario makes more sense than intentionally putting her at-risk baby through the wild ride as Sarah described in Going Rogue.

June 15, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
    • bristol

lol get Trump to find the original birth certificate (conspiracy theorist crack me up)

June 15, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
    • BrendaT

Have you ever read the '"Footprints" poem? To me this is written in much the same way it is written. If I were to recieve this e-mail from someone I would be honored. I would look on it as words of encouragement. I think it not only as words of encouragement, but as a way of giving someone something to take time to pause, and think about.

June 15, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  15. J.M.Howe

While I think the letter is very sweet, there are some things that concern me. As a Christian, I believe that God makes each and every one of our lives a gift. A gift that we can share with others, and a gift that God has granted us with the ability to make this world a richer, peaceful place. However, I think it audacious to sign the letter as if God wrote it. In the letter, Palin claims that Trig will "be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage." What if Trig doesn't want to do that? And I agree with other posts that this letter appears to highlight the gifts given to Sarah and Todd, such as a "short wait" and a "comfortable pregnancy," all of which is grand, but seems to be more for the Palin's benefit than Trig's. It's only my opinion, but I would write a letter telling my loved ones how blessed I feel, instead of presuming to know God's intent for Trig. For his sake, I hope that little Trig grows up believing that he can be whoever he wants to be, Downs Syndrome or not, and that his life has a purpose, even if he doesn't want to play goalie. Because, Trig, the Carhartt's and sports are what your parents want, God doesn't NEED that from you at all. I wish for you to experience all God has in store for you, even if it means you don't tinker in the garage and play hockey. From one of God's children to another, I wish you all the best Trig.

June 15, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
    • bristol

I've seen parents dress their kids in stupid stuff all the time. I also see parents push thier kids into sports etc. she is no different than other parents that want certain things for thier children. Did you give your son a ball and mitt your daughter a doll is that keeping them from thier true calling. probaly not

June 15, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  16. CM

Why is this considered newsworthy?

June 15, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  17. Kenzh

Wow, I knew there's something special about this lady. She's God Her Omnipotent self! Someone need to convince her to run. We need God in the White House!

June 15, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
    • Clay

Nice sarcasm, I hope.
      God is a hypothesis, nothing more.

June 15, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  18. Nathansabers11

if you read her book you would have already known about this.......... i hope she runs for pres.

June 15, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Clay

Why?
      Michelle Bachmann not kooky enough for you?

If you are a lover of peace Dr. Ron Paul should be who you support.
      He wouldn't be dropping humanitarian love bomb$ like Bush I mean Obama

June 15, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
  19. Iosias of Washington DC

I believe this to be a foolish move by Palin, albeit, done in ignorance and certainly forgivable by God. It is one thing to speak for your dolls or pets, as I hear many people (most often women) do. While I find this practice a bit strange and a bit unsettling, I pay it no mind. But to speak for God, this is a foolish thing to do unless one is appointed to do so (such as a prophet speaking the words given him directly from the mouth of God). Even prophets must first expose their experiences and visions to another of faith so as not to rely on private interpretation and risk falling into a demonic trap; and here we have Palin, presuming to be sure enough of God to believe her words and Gods would line up well enough to publish in an e-mail and in a book. Every person on earth suffers from delusion to a degree, and some greater than others; if even those who have dedicated their whole lives to the art of unceasing hesychastic prayer suffer from delusion to a degree, then much more so do I and Palin and the others of us living out here in the midst of this modern age. Although I believe this was done innocently and in ignorance on Palin's part, I hope that she will humbly receive the criticisms given her on this matter and learn from this mistake. God too infinite to be contained in our minds, and as such, we should treat Him as a wonderful Mystery, and interact with the 3 Persons of the Trinity with reverence, awe, and humility; as well as love, affection, and endearment.

June 15, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Aztrazolo

The great thing about God is he does not demand that we relate to him in the way that another individual relates to him. This letter does not presume to speak for God. It communicates how Palin perceives her child in God's eyes, and uses the narrative of God to communicate that.

June 15, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  20. RichieP

This is stupid. No matter how well meaning her intentions, nobody can speak for God. If she has some points she wants to make she can say them on her own behalf.

June 15, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
    • William

Speaking of stupid... how pathetic is it that your inability to think abstractly prevents you from recognizing the hypothetical context in which Palin was writing.

Did you ever get past Junior High and if so, who were the clueless liberal teachers who forged your grades? LOL!

June 15, 2011 at 6:26 pm |