home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. jaintn

Don't get me wrong. I detest Palin and her rabid egomania and sickening need for attention and adulation, but I don't see anything wrong with that e-mail. It's a bit long winded and sounds more like she's trying to convince herself which only makes it more poignant. I think how a mother handles what must have been devastating news (at the time), is a personal thing and whatever coping mechanism kicked in for Palin is what worked for her and what she needed to do.

June 15, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
    • Jeepers

Well said.

June 15, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
  2. William

Liberals demonize Sarah Palin while worshiping degenerate, self-absorbed hypocrites like Al Gore, John Edwards and Anthony WEINER. That alone illustrates clearly all you need to know about the Left.

June 15, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • MIKE HUNT

amen

June 15, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • jaintn

...... and your blanket assumption of anyone not like you only illustrates what a jerk you must be in real life, and what a drag you must be at parties.

June 15, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
    • William

That's the best rebuttal you can muster jaintn? LOL, how utterly liberal of you.

June 15, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
    • Natasha

Not all liberals are for those specific people, just like not all republicans are crazy.

I think that the assumptions on both ends should stop, and that people should vote for who they think is the best candidate.

June 15, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • Nyah Nyah

Hey at least we've GOT a Weiner!

June 15, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • SeanP

Wrong, wrong and so wrong. The left doesn't worship their demagogues any different than the right. Limbaugh, pastor after pastor, Spitzer, Graham, oh I could go on. Nice to see how one sided you are and a hypocrite at that.

June 15, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • jaintn

Who says I'm a liberal William? I'm middle of the road politically. I vote for who deserves my vote, not for a political party which I suspect is exactly what you do. My comment wasn't a rebuttal, it was a critique of you as a human being. I abhor people who categorize everyone into the same bucket. I also abhor people who make ridiculous statements based on nothing and aimed at what you perceive to be the enemy, i.e., anyone who doesn't think the way you do. Not only does it make you sound foolish, it shows that you are simply not a very nice person. Granted, it could also be because you're dumb as a box of rocks, but since you spelled everything correctly it must be that you're just a jerk.

June 15, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
  3. Coolius Caesar

P.S. – In a perfect world, Palin supporters would be sterilized so as to not pass on their defective genes that contain low IQ gene expression.

June 15, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

You are foolish and lazy.

June 15, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

I should know because I am foolish and lazy too.

June 15, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
  4. Shukura

I am not even going to read this article. I just want to say, give this up already. Her emails are not news and say nothing earth shattering. This headline is written to get people's attention on nothing. The only thing that is surprising about the emails is that she can write a complete sentence...

June 15, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  5. Coolius Caesar

@ LAURA: What disaster? This country has problems, but there's no "disaster" other than the fact that Americans have become so dumb that they can't see that Obama is investing in the ONE thing that can save the country: alternative energy. I wish more Americans would get themselves into universities and receive further education. Americans are truly becoming a bunch of dolts! Too lazy to mow the lawn = illegal aliens. Too lazy to study Computer Science = H1B visa skilled immigrants. Wake up America and turn your televisions off for a second and put down your greasy burgers and realize that you're becoming more fat, stupid, and over-opinionated by the day.

June 15, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • Natasha

I'm an American, and I approve this message.

If you're opinionated, fine, but at least have SOME basis for those opinions. Like, I dunno, something reasonable. Not "The Bible says gay marriage is wrong" or something equally as stupid.

June 15, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
    • S. Smith

Did someone say burgers?

June 15, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
  6. BENJI

I wonder what God thinks about her hate speech and her daughter bearing a son outside of marriage?

June 15, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  7. God

Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Gay, too, dummy.

June 15, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • kica

She also leaves out ...and colors.

June 15, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
    • God

What? OMG! I'm color-blind! I did not see that!

June 15, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  8. Chris

Im not a huge Palin fan, actually she annoys the hell out of me. But Im not going to slam her over this. The way I figure, it was her way of helping herself prepare for the challenges ahead with her child and to perhaps find an answer to that always nagging "Why Me" question. Most people these days would have aborted the child at the first hint of downs, so she gained some of my respect back through this insight into her personal life.

June 15, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  9. Foo Bar

I am not fan of Palin, But I gotta admit all this email talk is pretty sad and desperate.

June 15, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  10. Topix

"Oh I wish I were Rep Anthony Wei – ner
    That is who I'd tru-ly like to be
    'cause if I were Rep Anthony Wei – ner
    The media would be in love with me"

June 15, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  11. Emmaleah

This woman is delusional. And self-absorbed. It's pitiful.

Was she going to send emails from God to other politicians to explain things? What about foreign countries?

June 15, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  12. TomNPitt

Sara had nothing to say or do this week, but CNN still found something to write about,

June 15, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  13. LAURA

It is amazing they examine Palin with a microscope but anything from Obama is taken for gospel. Could you imagine if Bush had gone into Libya without the approval of Congress? I am so tired of no one challenging this clown in the Oval Office. You all deserve the disaster that he has caused.

June 15, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
    • U.S. Centrist

It truly amazes me how poorly you Palin supporters defend her, by deflective comments about Obama.

I am not a Democrat nor a Republican, I actually can't stand Palin. People can form credible arguments supporting President Obama. People have not been as successful with Palin.

June 15, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  14. Bradley

I'm neither religious nor conservative, and because of that I'm no fan of Sarah Palin. This email, however, is sweet and thoughtful. I'm glad that her faith helps her see the challenges in her life in a positive light.

June 15, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  15. PalinKeepsMyGutBusting

She is a fu(&*ng idiot! At first, I just couldn't stop laughing at this. But the longer I read, the more creepy I felt. Like, I wonder what thoughts she experienced right before she penned this. How giddy did she feel pressing the "SEND" button? What kind of reactions was she expecting?

I mean, this is creepy. HILARIOUS, but creepy, nonetheless

June 15, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  16. Marie Kidman

\

June 15, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • Jim

Everyone click on this video and give it a thumbs down just because this person is a spamming wh0re

June 15, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  17. yogaenthusiast

her book "going rogue". If you must read this crap, buy it used on half.com. Don't pay full price and give her any more money.

June 15, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  18. Conguero

Wow, 24,000 e-mails and this is all they could come up with?!?!? .... an e-mail that she already published in her book? What, no e-mails with pictures of her private parts sent to any under age girls or boys? No dirt?!?!? No lies or deception??? Maybe she's not cut out for politics! Brother!

June 15, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • zaphod2000

It must really betrue that AZ burst into flames as soon as she bought a home there. She is more of a she devil than anything else.
      I don't give credit for that child at all. If she was really pregnant (the jury is still out on that one) she didn't show even at seven months. Her water breaks and she decides to fly all over the country? She might have been doing it to see if she could lose that baby (if she really was pregnant).
      Bloggers in Alaska are saying that the unwed teen (or was it the one with hatefilled facebook – who knows they all look alike but after her surgery she now looks like a kardashian) went away for about six months. Just about the time that the prop child would have been born. She never did show her medical records, did she?

June 15, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  19. Chad

Too bad it was an email and not a letter – she would have signed it in blood.

June 15, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
  20. Gary

Sarah Palin has more faith than any of us. I applaud her courage and strong faith.

June 15, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • zaphod2000

@ gary – please get a grip. She is no christian and she is a fake.
      @schoolbus – no, what I find ridiculous is that somebody had to waste their time on gibberish from the queen of mean and stupid. The President had no baggage like this woman had. It's all about her and how she looks. She couldn't even win a beauty contest in Alaska!!! Can you say loser? She sealed the deal for mccain and for that I am glad because he became a piece of nobody too.
      This is the same woman who was a member (along with that eunuch husband of hers) of a party who wanted to secede from the union. She is not even a patriot. They are traitors.

June 15, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • frank

@Gary

"Sarah Palin has more faith than any of us."
      –Was this an intentional criticism of faith?

June 15, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • TheyCallMeTheGambler

If an individual chooses a particular faith to believe, fine. However, it has no place in public office when you are serving thousands, or even millions of people who may or may not follow all, or even any of your beliefs. Public office should not be a platform for anyone to have influence on others, which is guided by their religious beliefts.

June 15, 2011 at 6:28 pm |