home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. NRPJim

Please go away...

June 15, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
  2. Kevin B

It is kinda funny how she doesn't write a letter to God, but instead decides to be the voice of God, herself. Can you say "Ego?"

June 15, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
  3. Gene Brady

She is SO full of herself!!!!!!!

June 15, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
  4. Bailey630

What a hypocritical B**CH!!!

"Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)"

But God forbid you be gay!!!!!!! I hate her!!!

June 15, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
  5. JR

Well written, I wonder where she plagiarized it from?

June 15, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
  6. Kevin B

God talked to Satan too.

June 15, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
    • Breathing coach @ $4 / min.

Another one! Look, Kevin, you need to take deep breaths and let them out slooowly. Alright? And again....

June 15, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
  7. Peter E

WHO CARES! She is a has-been, a QUITTER and a NOBODY!

June 15, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
    • Breathing coach @ $4 / min.

No, tell us how you REALLY feel! Don't hold it in! Let it all out! And breath in....and out....

June 15, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
  8. JacklynD

This doesn't really seem to be the arena for commenting on such a personal decision and situation with a child. I understand the sentiment and rationale. I dislike Sarah Palin but this is outside the realm of my concern and I hope everyone else's.

June 15, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
  9. Leo

The problem is that God doesn't make any mistakes, we're all perfect....oh yeah, except for when he made gay people.....
    I find it amusing and terribly insulting that people like Palin could rant about how every child is "perfect", we come in all shapes and sizes...but wait...I don't think god really wanted you to be gay.....

June 15, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
    • God

Don't look at me. I didn't do it. I don't even exis..*pop*

June 15, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
  10. Larry

Shame on all you haters out there. If this was anybody but Sarah Palin–if it was your neighbor, your aunt, your sister, etc.–you'd be thinking it was a loving gesture to help ensure a loving environment for what was likely going to be a major challenge you'd be experiencing for the rest of your life.

I'm not Sarah Palin fan, and I'm NOT a Palin family member. I am a Republican, but I don't think she's qualified to be our President. That said, I applaud her for doing this...and it's really sad that so many of you have so much hatred that you can't appreciate her gesture as a human being. Until haters learn to chill out, cut the other person some slack, and try to respect people for the people they are (regardless of whether you vote for them or not), we're not going to make any progress as a country.

Nice letter, Sarah, and I appreciate that you have tried to have an optimistic view of things and tried to help bring joy and love into the lives of your family members in the face of a challenging situation. As for you haters out there, try growing up.

June 15, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • William

Very well stated. You speak for 90% of Republicans. Meanwhile, Al Gore, Michael Moore, Sean Penn, Alec Baldwin, Barney Frank, Nancy Pelosi, John Edwards, Anthony Weiner, and (formerly) Ted Kennedy speak collectively for 98% of liberals.

June 15, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
  11. Nutty McLooney

This email is the most insane thing I have ever read. How could anyone want this person to run a state, let alone a country?

June 15, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • William

Be honest now, don't pull a Weiner... you don't really know how to read, do you.

June 15, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
  12. Mike

Who f'ing cares. Really. This is news? What a society we live in.

June 15, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
    • PD

It was poetic and full of love... I will give her that on creativity... Her politics and my politics will never see eye to eye, she boarders on being a NAZI as far as I can tell! She wouldn't think twice about killing you or me if you disagree with her!

June 15, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
  13. dtboco3

I can't stand the lady, but in this case there is just nothing there. It doesn't seem she is actually claiming to be god, or that god speaks to her or anything like that(which is what I expected when I clicked on the story). It is a little bit strange, but really nothing more than that.

June 15, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
  14. Marie Kidman

".

June 15, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
  15. SATAN HIMSELF

I made her do it. 😈

June 15, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
  16. Harry Potter

EXPELLIARMUS!

June 15, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
    • Ron

No! The other spell!

June 15, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
  17. F Daniel Gray

I just don't know what people are thinking sometimes. What does it say about YOU, when you demean other people, who have done nothing to you. And, who you don't personally know. I'm an atheist, but if people want to believe the pope, or Bush, or Pat Robertson, or whoever, speak for/with, or to God, that's on them. Having met some physically strong and wise women in my life, I can't quite understand why males believe they can't possibly qualify to be a priest, or Iman, or the equal of the Dali Lama. They certainly proved on the Soviet front in WWII, they could command tank companies and fly fighter planes in combat. From the Sierra Maestra in Cuba to the Ho Chi Minh trail in Viet Nam, they fought alongside their male comrades. Nitpicking does not address the several international issues, not to speak of local ones, wit which we are faced.

June 15, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  18. james

As much as I dislike this woman, why are we airing her dirty laundry all over the news? Just leave her alone, she does a perfectly adequate job of making herself look like a fool without everyone meddling in the largely irrelevant details of her private life.

June 15, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  19. Debi

I am so sorry to see the prejudice of the group of people who label themselves as "Atheists". At every opportunity to rant about belief in God / Religion is "crazy" yet who is any human to tell others that there is or is not a God? In times of difficulty people need something to get them through and I would much rather see them lean on their idea of the "Lord", than to turn to a bottle of alcohol or drugs to ease their suffering. Only when we die do we get the true answer to the questions a) is there really a supreme creator / God? b) is there life after death? c) is there really a heaven and a hell?

June 15, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
    • Fichts

At no time, Debi, does any rational person say there is absolutely no God. No one could possibly know that. We do, however, know that a God who is perfect would not behave in a manner such as the Christian God. We do know that, there is no way to measure heaven or hell. We do know that, there is no way to measure God, in any way other than personal experiences. The God of the Bible? No, 100% no. How would anyone write about Genesis if nothing existed at the point of creation? Simple questions like that, and the Bible falls apart.

June 15, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
    • sharon

I really dslike Sara Palin! How dare she act like she is God like or God's favorite or whatever the hell she is trying to say! I think she is a liar, nutcase, pr hog, egotist, unbalanced, uniformed, a bigot, untrustworthy and not qualified by any means to run for any politcal office! And I am sick to death about seeing and hearing about her when she's not doing anything but making herself richer and spewing hatred and lies! She is not going to go anywheres but down! What goes around comes around and it already is starting to since her assistant just released his "Tell all" book. I wish Levi would do his but I think Sara bought him off with "hush money" and the stipulation that he stay away from her daughter, who very obviously loved the guy! I think Sara is afraid Levi was gonna tell the world that little Trig is really his! And she doesn't want the whole world to know she's a "great pretender" and a big liar!

June 15, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
  20. MIKE HUNT

this horrible horrible person believing in god and taking care of a disabled child.

June 15, 2011 at 6:31 pm |