home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. FrankM

Nothing new here folks, she wrote about it in her book. My opinion, so what, next?

June 15, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  2. Disco_fever

I have heard the "prop" comments plenty when regarding Palin – That she used Trig as a prop and a spectacle. While I could care less about Palin, I can assure you that most people have no idea what goes on with special needs children. And the reality is, if she had NOT taken Trig with her (while including her other children), those same people would be crying that she didn't love her downs child the same. That was the issue in this area a year ago with a politician – They systematcially kept their Downs child out of the limelight – Only to be scorned in the media for not supporting them. And that is the world we live in – D'ed if you do and D'ed if you don't. Pretty sad really, because the only people actually treating that child differently are the people making the scornful comments.

June 15, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • PING

Your email is very accurate and logical in many ways. I don't mean to single you out by any means, but Down's child or Down Syndrome Kid is actually kind of a burn. I probably would have phrased it the same way before I was fortunate enough to have a healthy little guy WITH Down Syndrome. People don't say AIDS child or Cancer kid, the proper term is child WITH Down Syndrome as they are mainly a child and the Syndrome is secondary to who they are. Again not to single you out just a good time to make a point for others to learn from. Please out r-word.org if anybody gets a chance.

June 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • Jodie

Ok, but I would say that politicians should be keeping ALL of their children away from the media, regardless of whether they have Down's Syndrome or not. There really should be some protective measures in place for political children, the same as there are for children in showbiz. No photoshoots, no standing on stage, just keep them completely away from the media.

June 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  3. George

President Trump will be so proud of the work that Vice President Palin will be doing that he will want to personally thank her in a one on one meeting in the oval office privately, with no one else present....ahem.

June 15, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  4. everlyhartland

I'm so glad to hear that God is FINALLY getting with email. Perhaps now we can all look forward to a few Tweets From On High. Does He even have a web site?

June 15, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  5. Tricia

I really like the letter. I think the letter itself is a gift, and I'll even say this...it's a gift from God himself. I like it a lot. I hope all moms and dads with Down's kids and all potential parents of down's kids has a chance to read this letter.

But, I still don't like Sarah Palin. I think she's trying to ruin the Republican party, just like Donald trump before her. I think she keeps playing tricks on the American people for her own personal gain.

The woman who wrote that letter deserved baby Trig. I don't think that woman actually exists any more.

June 15, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  6. Josh

I love how she has this new idea of nobody being perfect and god creating everyone, yet she still doesn't apply that to gay people.

June 15, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
  7. Dzerres

Yes, God doesn't make mistakes except when it comes to gays, Muslims, and liberals. What a pile of horse dung this is.

June 15, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
  8. pensimmon

Very corny and simplistic. Like something a pre-teen might write about this topic.

June 15, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
  9. A Believer

I'm sorry if there are people out there that don't believe in God then there is something wrong with them.... Really how do you think we all got here... Don't give me the theory about the cell in the ocean either. How did that cell get there? Something had to put it there. Something can just happen to be there out of nowhere. God is real... and what Sarah was saying was probably what God said to her. I feel that God is speaking to me all the time.... Not directly, but through other people and things that happen around me. Please don't make fun of those that believe there is a God. Sarah was probably going through a hard time through her pregancy with this special needs child and this letter stating what she thought God was telling her and her family may have helped her get through some of the stress. Shame on those of you who put her down for expressing the joy to her family!

June 15, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • David in Cincinnati

I can't take your rain of shame, so I wouldn't make fun of you. But the next time you're talking with Him, ask Him the same question about God in the ocean.

June 15, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • ellid

What I care about is the arrogance of anyone who would dare to write such a mawkish, bathetic piece of tripe as if it were written by God. How dare she reduce God to a greeting card verse!

June 15, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • Codepwned

Then most of the world has something wrong with them. Most of the world does not believe in God. More and more people in advanced society are starting to realize that he doesn't exist, and that the bible was a wonderful tool for teaching lessons about how to treat others or how to live your lives. Unfortunately it was written over 2000 years ago and no longer holds the same truth it once did. I'm NOT saying the bible was bad, it was essential in that time of lawlessness.

I'm happy to say I live in a society where more and more people are questioning religion and instead basing their decisions off facts instead of doing whatever some religious leader tells them to. The world is waking up.

June 15, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • ScottK

That might also be valid if read "I'm sorry if there are people out there that believe in God then there is something wrong with them.... Really how do you think he got here... Don't give me the theory about the God in heaven either. How did that God get there?"

June 15, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • Deity Watching it all

@believer: you are hearing voices?? Mmmmm, not a good sign, you might want to see a shrink.

June 15, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • A biologist

The eukaryotic cell (what yeasts and multicellular organisms like us are made of) got there through milllions of years of evolution from simpler prokaryotic cells (this is the kind that bacteria are). The prokaryotic cells got there from millions of years of evolution from stable component molecules such as proteins or DNA that were more stable (survived better) when they were combined. Just because you don't understand this process, doesn't mean that magic was how cells were created. I don't really know how a microwave works, but it is illogical to say that therefore it works via magic.

June 16, 2011 at 4:05 am |
  10. Kenny

I sure hope this woman runs for President. The campaign isn't going to be any fun without her stupid acts. Consider this. With Palin running we are subject to end up with 430 Democratic members in the House of Representatives, 98 Democratic Senators in the Senate and a many as 45 Democratic State Governors. RUN SARAH RUN.

June 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  11. JJ in CT

"God" serves as a good way for her to rationalize why her child is different than most, basically a coping mechanism.

That's fine, but I can only imagine Palin writing herself a letter from god about going to war.......scary!

June 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • David in Cincinnati

Exactly! Been done before, for war and for your everyday lynchings.

June 15, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • JJ in CT

I hear you Dave. That's why we have separation of church and state.

June 15, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • MizzGivens

I don't believe God "gives" special children to special people. As my son says, "I know when people say 'I'm special' what they're really saying, and I don't believe in that crap." No, having a disability is hard and frustrating and not fair, and it's okay to say that. That doesn't mean you get to lie on a bed of self-pity, it just means you're realistic and up front about your issues. Nothing wrong with that. And if you go with the whole "God gave you a special child" scenario, you have to believe it was intentional, and that's just foul.

June 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  12. Gerry R Texas

Remarkably courageous, for her to decide to put into words for her family and associates, the thoughts and emotions that were driven by her faith, so that the readers could also come to understand just where her heart was regarding the developments leading to Trig's birth.
    Remarkably cowardly, for her detractors in these comments, that they cannot see how this method of going about critical decisions in their lives would make for richer relationships and commitment.
    No wonder Sarah has so many that want to be so close to her example.

June 15, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Deity Watching it all

What would you think if God told me to swerve right in front of your car in busy traffic, and me saying: well, not my fault that I bumped into your car, god said "pull over", so I did. You'd think I am nuts...
      So, Sarah lecturing us through the mouth of god that so many "things are so mixed up down here", let's get on to worship his ego, he's hungry, the old man, that sounds kind of nuts to me too.

June 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  13. fj

So let's go with Palin's beliefs that God is the creator of everything. Well Sarah, didn't you know God also created prenatal tests that detect life-altering diseases and deformities? God also created doctors and procedures that could safely end these abronmal pregnancies.

June 15, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Jane

No, people created the "tests and procedures" Duh, do you really think this woman would consider an abortion? Wow you seem like a warm fuzzy person. I guess you just know for sure what you would do if you conceived a Downs child. Or maybe you are a man who thinks he knows what women should do. You know the ones who are so vocal on abortion when it is none of their damn business?

June 15, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • MizzGivens

How horrible!

June 15, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  14. Jim

I wonder how many of us could have our emails scrutinized by the public only to reveal our most heinous crime was that we wrote a heartfelt message to our family and friends about a difficult decison we had made and were about to be confronted with the reality of that decison.

Ever write a letter to your kids from Santa Clause ? Shoot me – I'm guilty ! And yes, I am writing this at work.

June 15, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • JJ in CT

Yes, parents write letters to their kids from a non-existent Santa Claus. But we eventually let them know he's not real.

This letter from a non-existent god is about the same. She just hasn't figured out the ruse yet. I wonder what god will leave in my stocking....

June 15, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Frogist

Well said, Jim! You cut to the heart of the matter.

June 15, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
  15. Henry

Isn't inpersonating god against the Ten Commandments?

June 15, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • williamjones

She has gotten a connection to the Spirit of God and was penning a prophecy and didn't even know it!!

June 15, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • ellid

No, she was acting as if God, the creator of the heavens and the earth, had the mindset of the drones who churn out Thomas Kinkade paintings and saccharine greeting card verses. That she had the nerve to presume to put such words into God's mouth speaks volumes about her arrogance.

June 15, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  16. Jon

Of all the hypocritical, smug things she has done this is near the top. Now Sara is standing in for god? What an insincere crock of...

June 15, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • ScottK

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!!

June 15, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  17. FreddieBrown

Enough already.
    The economy is suffering
    The unemployment numbers are almost hitting 10%
    Real people's homes are being foreclosed
    The country is going bankcrupt

Is it necessary to care about Sarah Palin's personal emails ?

Are we as a society so shallow we need to gloat and find the nasty needle in the haystack ? I am so saddened that people don't have their priority's right... or is it more fun to be evil and negative under the cover and cloak of an obviously fake name and email that people seek to waste their time on evil trivia.. I did not read a single post above but I already know it is just vile... CNN likes to encourage vile behaviour AND that is why they keep putting out articles to entice people to spew more evil and vileness. Get to work folks.. earn your pay before your job is made redundant and you are on the un-employment line.

June 15, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • MizzGivens

Cheers.

June 15, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  18. Sarah Anderson

I am not, nor have I ever been, a fan of Sarah Palin. The thought of her having a hand in running the country scares me and I don't agree with her politics but I actually find this email to be pretty great. I like the way she framed it and was honest about having had to have done some work to get past the sadness and recognize the blessing stage. This actual gave me one (and that's one of one) thing to respect about her. At least she is a loving mother.

June 15, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • howsaboutahug

I agree! I roll my eyes with everything that comes out of Sarah Palin's mouth but the was very sweet.

June 15, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  19. Jimbo

God should talk to all Republican big shots and tell them to give us poor folks a break.
    We all have "special kids" that need lots of support.

June 15, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  20. Andrew

Any buddy who votes for Sarah Palin is an idiot. She will be worse than George W. Bush was, starting Wars with Iran and North Korea. Sarah Palin would be the worst thing to ever happen to the Americans. Stick with Obama whos still cleaning up the mess left by George W.

June 15, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • joe

I will tell the only guy I know named buddy to not vote for her. Even if every buddy voted for here, there is probably only a few hundred thousand people named buddy in America.

June 15, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • GTA

"Any buddy"? Did you perhaps mean "anybody"?

Just exactly when did the U.S. go to war with either Iran or North Korea?

June 15, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • No One Is Safe

@GTA – did you perhaps consider that english might be Andrew's second language?

and you need to work on your reading comprehension, in any case... he's saying Scary Failin would *start* wars with Iran and NK, were there ever enough insane idiots in this country to elect her president...

June 22, 2011 at 9:30 am |