home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Michael

June 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
  2. Jason

I don't think about her e-mail, then again I don't think about her beyond the occasional shudder of relief that she's not our VP. It isn't because she's a woman, frankly women make up more than 50% of our population, and therefore should do more than 50% of the governing. Their needs, views, and rights need to be recognized.

It's because I'm anti Palin. I fear that if she is elected to ANY office ever again it will be a setback to women, women's rights, equality, and our country in general if not the world. She couldn't even see it in her heart to complete her term as governor of Alaska, where she governed less than 3/4 million Americans...How can we trust her to govern 330+ Million of us for 4 years. Is she going to get to 3 years and decide she'd rather get paid by Fox News again or would Fox just keep paying her while she's in office? Er, I mean contributing to her campaign?

June 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
  3. Michael

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC9PlvKwz4I&w=560&h=349%5D

June 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
  4. Kay

This appears to be a personal e-mail, why does anyone feel that they have the right to be critical? I'm not sure why this "needed" to be made public. I think it's from the heart and puts a positive note something that takes extra strength to deal with. Why be so negative in your comments?

June 15, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
    • Hz

First off, when you are an elected public official, the mail you send using government equipment or that concern government business are not personal. Had she only used personal email accounts to mail others, without sending it to any government email addresses it would not be released. Even some stuff that should probably be public info was kept secret by the Alaskan state government and not released to the public. Secondly, if you read the news story you'll find that she had already published most of this email in a book she wrote.

June 15, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
  5. Samuel

I cannot speak for the Savior but I think that she should be seeking Gods Grace giving what is happening with her daughter and everything else in her life. Whether or not she seeks the bid for President. I personally feel that she should stay out of politics (in light of leaving her Governorship in the middle of her term) I am not too impressed with who is choosing to run but I do not recommend that she runs either. She sounds like she is reaching for something big and I don't think that it is The Lord. But hey thats just my thinking. I will let God do the judging here!

June 15, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
  6. Hz

Interesting she would write from God's perspective and say (to paraphrase) everybody is OK as they are because when she was elected she did not put one single qualified black person into any position in government. She was asked about that by a black Air Force veteran in Alaska at the time but she never replied to him.

June 15, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
  7. Mikey

REALLY????? LOL!! So the liberal brigade didn't find anything worth roasting her over so this is what they come up with?? She gets the last laugh here.

June 15, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
    • Hz

Don't forget that John McCain was one of the people who requested the emails be released when he was considering making her his VP choice. So people on both sides requested the files and it took this many years for Alaska to release them.

June 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
    • Tom L

Nice try media, but this is backfiring on you big time. We have now discovered that she is a very thoughtful, engaged, compassionate and hard working governor. Nothing more, nothing less.
      Palin – 24,000
      Media – 0

June 15, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
  8. TeflonWarrior

What a pathetic bunch! This was a cathartic letter of an anxious mother trying to figure out how to dealt with an extremely difficult situation (one which she's handled superbly, by the way.) Most of your letters would have read something like this.

"Dear God, To bad YOU messed this one up, so we're gonna have to abort it. So...don't mess the next one up again! OK?"

June 15, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
    • Mikey

Actually they wouldn;t because the mere mention of "God" sends them into a tiff.

June 15, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
    • Ken from FL

God bless you for getting this right. Too bad the rest of these incoherent Palin-phobes don't understand.

June 15, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
    • Mark

It's spelled 'too'

June 15, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
    • Renee

No. that isn't it at all. It is more about the fact that her ego is so big that she feels she can speak for and as God. I think most people of any religion find that most appalling here.

June 15, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
  9. David Austreng

I think she was clearly coping with the very difficult news of her injured baby. However, I think that most would agree that this brain pattern is somewhat delusional. When we can't explain disappointing news, we attempt to rationalize in terms of faith.. I don't think she's necessarily outside the bounds of most, but the thought of a mind like that leading the most powerful nation in the world or even a high-level position is horrifying.

She's a beauty pageant, pathological egomaniac whose need for attention has brought her up to a level she has no business doing. Anyone who can take her serious needs to realize that leaders need to be clear-headed, balanced and motivated by true conviction that they can truly help a situation. If she really wants to help the USA, she should audition for, "Dancing with the Stars" or some other attention craving role. This country is messed up enough, we don't need a pretty leader, we need competence! She's really a perfect example of how dysfunctional our political process has become. Let her go find attention somewhere else and let intelligent, qualified and relevant individuals lead.

June 15, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
    • Dee

The overanalyzing is pitiful. She wouldn't have released this stuff if it wasn't for the truly crazy people who wanted her emails. She's not dysfunctional, but all the people writing odd justifications of why they think she is horrifying are unbalanced to a spectacular degree.

June 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
    • Voice_of_reason

Well said David. This is truly a prime example of regressive thinking in what should be a progressive world. Faith will soon (hopefully) be replaced with reason and intellect. NO ONE should claim to know things they cannot possibly know citing ancient text as thier evidence. This email is a prime example of the human mind attempting to cope, and justify what just happens to be an unfortunate situation. No need to rationalize or numb the emotional pain by disguising it as a "blessing" from "God" or the "Creator".

June 15, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • CHARLEY60

Many of these post would haunt the writters also, if they became public, in reaching to fulfill future ambitions, yet unknown to you. Life can be a 2 way street.

June 15, 2011 at 7:50 pm |
  10. Clifford S

I find it hilarius that CNN has a Belief section in the first place
    in the second place, why dont you guy just leave this woman alone
    it disgusts me at those of you that "Strain at a Gnat" in Palin's Eye while
    you ignore the "Log in your own eye"

June 15, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
  11. SnuzieQ

I can't stand Sarah Palin and I'm a proud agnostic atheist, but I have no problem with this. She is finding a way to celebrate a life, and while I find it funny that she is doing something that is clearly against her own religion, I think it's kind of sweet. Too bad everything else she does is so drastically horrid. If she only would use her religion for more good and less horrific evil and gay-bashing, maybe she would be a better person and we would have a better, less divided world. That goes for everyone.

June 15, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
  12. Tom Harmon

The average person sending out messages signed 'the creator' would get a sanity hearing and a 30 day psychiatric hold . She is , however a Republican candidate for the White House and most of them qualify for the 30 day hold . If you follow her statements and actions she has serious problems mentally .

June 15, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
  13. Tamara

How dare she "speak in the voice of God." I think it just goes to show how egomaniacal she is and how innappropriate she has the tendency to be. Express your sentiments, but use your own voice and don't pretend to be channelling a higher power! Oh, and by the way, if we are all "perfect" in our many shapes and sizes, then who are you to condemn so many?

June 15, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
  14. rand moffatt

I'm amazed at the capacity this Palin has for publicity. And, at the audacity she has speaking on behalf of 'God'.

How tiresome these folks are with their absolute faith – that the absolute power of 'GOD' is offered through their voice. How dare they believe we are so ignorant?

How awesome is their ego to assume they might interpret 'GOD's' voice? That they, and only they, interpret such word?

And, why do they believe that, poor idiots that we are, believe they have the power to speak for a more powerful being?

Because we are acting as IDIOTS.

Seems to me they are the heretics. Seems to me their egos have gone a bit amuck – to even consider they have the right to tell us what a higher being might say, think – or judge.

What is with these folks – except for heresy. It is the ultimate of heresy to hold with the voice of someone with such ego.

UGHHH! Find 'GOD' as you will Americans. But, truly use the brains that you have been given. Sarah Palin is NOT THE VOICE, NOR CONDUIT OF 'GOD'.

No matter what she says. Or, frankly, what how anyone else portends.

June 15, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
  15. Aaron

She was ghost writing for God? That seems blasphemous, especially she obviously receives her instructions directly from Satan.

June 15, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • Kreitsauce

Go back to your bridge, troll.

June 15, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
    • FossMaNo1

This letter is no different from any song written in the past from the point of view of God or Jesus. It's artistic expression and very often a way someone going through troubling times (I can only imagine knowing your unborn child had DS would be troubling) can work through their grief and accept the situation. I don't see this as blasphemous. In the context of the e-mail she wasn't trying to convince anyone of her Divinity. This was simply a coping mechanism she employed. Many of us have coped in worse ways...

June 15, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
  16. Marie Kidman

`

June 15, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
    • mad

That was a nice piece. Gave me calm and peace while reading through the article and comments. Thanks.

June 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
  17. palina

so what's the point of the story ? Every mom has the same feeling ! some write emails from their official .gov account, some dont ..

June 15, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
  18. shawn

This is a very personal email. I think it's stupid for anyone to read this.

June 15, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
    • Eric G

Well said.

June 15, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
  19. kate

I think God might want Trig's mom to be home and caring for him.

June 15, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
  20. dopydem

Dan Gilgoff, you are one sick person. Go back to reporting on Weiner.

June 15, 2011 at 6:47 pm |