home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Steve

There is no god.

June 15, 2011 at 7:33 pm |
  2. clarke

come on , live and let live.

June 15, 2011 at 7:33 pm |
  3. RichardSRussell

When you speak TO God, you're praying.
    When you HEAR God, you're schizophrenic.
    When you speak FOR God, you're a megalomaniac.

June 15, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
  4. CandyBee

My gosh! I am no fan of Sarah Palin and think she is without qualifications to be governor, much less president, but whoa there, folks! Think about the probability that she is trying to help herself and her family with this writing. Shouldn't have gone out in an email, I guess, but in spite of the fact tha Palin is more a fool than less, she is at least a mother who was trying to help herself and her family understand and grow through a painful time. I have to honor that.

June 15, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
    • clarke

That is the way I saw it as well.

June 15, 2011 at 7:35 pm |
  5. claire

I have never been a fan of Palin's, to put it mildly. In short, I find the very chance that she could end up as President or VP very scary. and I do not at all agree with her politics. However, I found this email extremely moving and even poetic, and while I would never vote for her,I have new-found respect for her as a human being. All those comments about her being nuts for writing as God are ignorant and cruel – it was a good vehicle for her to write a beautiful anouncement ans tribut to her onborn son.

June 15, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
  6. NoDoubt

Even though I am not a fan of Palin, I don't see what the big deal of this personal email is. Its a parent grappling with the birth of a child with Down Syndrome. I don't personally believe in organized religion, but this is what religion is meant to do- to comfort those in times of need. She deals with it her own way. Its not hurting anyone. There are many things I hold against her, but this email isn't one of them.

June 15, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
  7. NooseJunkie

big fricken deal!

June 15, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
  8. Dan

It's not here fault. She jumped out the pot into the fire (Government to Viral-Capitalism). Pimp Daddy Rupert is getting paid. Blame the Media on the exploitation of the Trig/God episode.

I hope the viral-capitalist's financial war on America which is facilitated by the republican party is thoroughly exposed during this election cycle.

America do we have the heart to stand up to the Viral Capitalist. Maybe we may need a Tunisian and/or Grecian effort to expose the real problem with our government. Viral Lobbyist dispatched by viral corporations worldwide, Not Just American Corporations But, Foreign Corporations, which are often commercially competing governments.

Come on America! Get over Palin! She is a deflection.

The Republican Party is trying to pull-off a cover-up. They fear Obama because he is smart enough to prosecute the Bush Adm. for War Crimes and every infraction beneath that horrible charge, including the second occurrence of "Super Grand Larceny-on-Steroids" the first occurrence, the state of Texas Savings and Loan fell victim. The second occurrence, the Bush adm allowed for the theft of our nation by fraudulent impersonation of a president. 🙂
    Just Joking! Peace

June 15, 2011 at 7:28 pm |
  9. Christopher

Not a huge Palin fan but don't see any problem with this and actually it makes me like her a bit more. I just wish she'd apply the same philosophy to gays, Democrats and others with whom she disagrees.

June 15, 2011 at 7:28 pm |
  10. tensai13

Does that include gay babies too?

June 15, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
    • Robert G

AWESOME!!!!!!!

June 15, 2011 at 7:33 pm |
  11. BigDre916

This women is nuttier than a fruitcake. Do people really listen to here? Do people really think she shoud run for President? Or, are these same people hoping for all of this so that they can get a good laugh?

June 15, 2011 at 7:26 pm |
  12. Steve

You libs are pathetic... Thats all you found in 24000 emails... thats it.??? LEts take a look at ANY lib out there and see what we find...

Yeah didnt think so..... Double standards are so libtastic!!!

June 15, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
    • Ron

That's all in the NON-redacted e-mails. They were redacted by the current Alaska administration and run by Sarah's lawyers, so all the good stuff has been redacted.

June 15, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
  13. Marie Kidman

~

June 15, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
  14. Marge

After all the simply crazy statements this woman has made why is she being treated by a mental doctor.

June 15, 2011 at 7:20 pm |
  15. kierra

Just another example that religion is a mental disorder. And Sarah Palin suffers from this disorder.

June 15, 2011 at 7:20 pm |
    • Topix

...so does 90% of the world's population then. You lose.

June 15, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
    • tensai13

Yes, 90% of the world is infected with the mental disorder of religious delusion and in fact, we all lose.

June 15, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Topix

I am not commenting on -kierra's posting.

However, I am pointing out that your statement is a version of the 'argumentum ad populum' strategy.

Just because 90% believe something, doesn't necessarily prove that they are 'correct.'

Peace...

June 15, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
    • Topix

Yeah right, everyone is wrong and you are right. I am not the least bit religous and all I see you are arogant, you know everything, enough to push your views on everyone else. It is no business of yours what people believe in. Focus your keen intellect on yourself.

June 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
    • hustlenflo

more people eat at McDonald's than any other restaurant – that doesn't mean that McDonald's is the best place to eat.

June 15, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
  16. Tom L

I wonder if Obama said the same things in his email history. Surely the media being as diligent as it is has requested to read each and every email from him. I mean, he is the President so they must be thorough. Same with Biden, what were in the emails that the media requested from him?

Oh yeah, that's right, the media never asked for the emails of the PRESIDENT and VICE PRESIDENT. The emails from the governor of the 47th largest state are way more pressing...

June 15, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
  17. hustlenflo

Would it be appropriate to hand out air-sickness bags every time Palin attempts to communicate – especially when she thinks she's God.

June 15, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
  18. BH

I'm not a Palin fan, but I refuse to criticize her over something so personal. Its not my business!! I'm against manufacturing some type of controversy in order to create a dialogue. We are seeing this a lot in our new internet/social media age. It also happens a lot on sports talk radio where producers can't come up with interesting topics for their callers. This comment from someone who thinks that Palin is highly unqualified to even think of being President.

June 15, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
  19. Nikita

It's obvious she's going through an emotional time and probably needed to write this more for herself than to her family. I think she is kind of praying and also asking her family to give her moral support. However, what kind of name is TRiG? Horrible!!! I find her amusing, and I'm not worried that she will ever get anywhere politically. It's just sheer entertainment.

June 15, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
  20. Bob Standley

So they go through 24,000 of her e-mails and this is the big controversy? How cool is that! I wonder how many of us would have our emails stand up to the same scrutiny.

June 15, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
    • Ron

Well, let's see the redacted e-mails and then decide.

June 15, 2011 at 7:51 pm |