home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Andy

Speaking for god, in other words blasphemy. Amazing that christians want to force their religion on everyone else, but have no interest in following it themselves.

June 15, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
  2. Marie Kidman

j

June 15, 2011 at 7:47 pm |
  3. Seattle Sue

How does CNN manage to get such ugly pictures of people? Not just Palin,but all the others they photograph.

June 15, 2011 at 7:43 pm |
  4. bekki

I think this is only the second time I have felt compelled to comment on a story, and I am certainly not a fan of Sarah Palin nor would I ever have thought I would come to her defense. But please, what a ridiculous attack for a very heart felt email that she clearly drafted to help herself, her family and friends be prepared for the birth of their special son.

If we are going to attack people for dealing with a difficult situation in a courageous way, then we are the ones who have sunk to new lows.

June 15, 2011 at 7:43 pm |
    • mary

well put bekki.

June 15, 2011 at 7:48 pm |
    • Erik

Personally I can't stand Palin and eagerly await the day she's forgotten, but I couldn't have said it any better myself. CNN is actually eliciting people's responses about someone's love for their child? Considering the abysmal coverage of truly newsworthy topics and obviously pathetic lack of the editors' abilities to even just spellcheck stories, you'd think the could've re-directed Mr. Gilgoff to a more noble pursuit. Emptying wastebaskets around the office, perhaps?

June 15, 2011 at 7:55 pm |
  5. Jason

This is nothing. Wait until you read the email she got from Paul Revere.

June 15, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
  6. Joe G

Huh... I read this and thought that this is someone appreciative of life and preparing herself and her family for the birth of a very special needs child. I'm not sure how her email comes off as crazy. Seems most of the people commenting negatively have never written an email to friends or family or had a profound thought.

What exactly did Sarah Palin do to make so many of you violently hate her? I get that she is religious and it doesn't bother her to show it. Do you feel the about anything who is openly religious? Her political comments aren't all that much crazier than Biden's or others.

I can't say I would want her as President, but wow... not sure I understand the hate.

June 15, 2011 at 7:41 pm |
    • JGer

What did she do? She hates! She hates gays, blacks, Mexicans...everyone who does not agree with her. So by spreading her hatred she has opened herself up to be hated. I can't believe anyone would even have to ask this question...unless they hate as much as she does.

June 15, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
  7. Bayousara

Sarah was far too old to have Trig. It was her responsibility to not get pregnant during a time in her life when her chances for a Down Syndrome baby were high. Now her kids will be saddled with taking care of him for his adult life since Sarah will probably be dead by then. Down Syndrome babies live far longer than they used to. I hope he has a happy life. His mom isn't home enough to call herself "Mom."

June 15, 2011 at 7:40 pm |
    • Joe G

Seriously? 43 or 44 is too late in life? Did I wake up in 1950 or something? Too many kids? Wow... just wow.

I see your comments and they are full of hate.

June 15, 2011 at 7:46 pm |
    • Minerva

Maybe you missed the part where she explained how much joy the child brought to her and her family's life. I'm glad that you speak on behalf of all who suffer with Down Syndrome that there lives aren't meaningful enough to exist. As if the only life worth living is one just like yours...

June 15, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
  8. peterson

After the media has spent three years dumpster diving in Wasilla, they have proven that they are the one's that accuse Palin of insanity.

The left leaning media has simply become unhinged at the very thought of Sarah Palin breathing air.

All this three year overkill has proven is that Palin is squeaky clean, intelligent, was an effective executive before deranged haters drover her out of office with dozens of frivolous lawsuits, and has withstood the most thorough investigation of any public or private citizen and the media has come up with nothing.

This is why outfits like "Journolist" colluded to spread lies and rumors about her in the media.

They couldn't find anything on her, so they just made up some crazy stories and reported them as being truthful and purposely misleading the voting public, all the while e-fallating Obama on a nightly basis, despite the fact that this glorified empty suit has driven our economy over a cliff.

Thanks, MSM, for putting the most inexperienced and incompetent President into office with your blatant cheerleading, which assisted in the demise of a once great country.

Sean Hannity, who is a lightweight as far as being a political commentator, nailed it when he said the media officially died in 2008

Keep digging. A few more weeks and you'll be in China. You'll probably like it there.

Sadly, this exploding cigar that just blew up in the face of the MSM won't stop their ridiculous attack on this women and her children.

All the while, they haven't bothered to look into Obama's past and the LATimes even withheld the Obama-Khalidi tape/transcripts, which was described as a potential "game-changer"

The media has lost any semblance of balance, fairness, and reporting the news as they now look to create news, mostly "news" regarding negative stories about conservatives based on lies, rumor and innuendo, such as the alleged McCain affair that the NYTimes ran shortly before the election, or the obviously forged National Guard docs about Bush CBS ran shortly before he was re-elected.

The MSM has lost what tiny shred of credibility they once had. Nothing they print or air regarding politics should be considered to contain a shred of truth.

June 15, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
    • Bayousara

I think you just don't like liberals and hate Pres. Obama in particular. You blame everyone else but Sarah Palin for her troubles. She is a loud-mouthed, shrill, obnoxious, stupid woman who has far too many kids, no morals, and is a money grabber. Had John McCain gone after her hormonal scents, Sarah would never have been selected, following two half-hour meetings he had with her, for any position.

June 15, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
  9. JD

Every billboard or church sign with some pithy message signed "God" is apparently evil now, since we've decided Palin can't do it in a pretty darned respectable way.

June 15, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
    • Jason

No, they were evil before. They're no less evil now. Men and women who claim to speak for God are lying in an attempt to manipulate and control others.

In Palin's case I imagine her heart was in the right place, but she still actively made her friends and family less intelligent in the process.

June 15, 2011 at 7:47 pm |
  10. GrandmaWI

A bunch of A–ho-es go through her e-mails and find nothing and you can't stand it. How sick are yous?

June 15, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
    • Phil in Oregon

If that's the best they can do, having gone through over 20,000 emails, she should run for pres. Any other candidates want to open their files to EVERYONE?

June 15, 2011 at 7:41 pm |
    • M.

I don't need to go through her emails to see that she is far from being smart enough to be on the national political scene..or even the state level....sorry!

June 15, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
    • peterson

"M", you just let the Palin-hating media do your thinking for you as it's obvious you know nothing truthful about Palin.

She is the epitome of the American dream, thru hard work and perseverance.

Yet some on the left are more impressed by a slick-talker with a hidden past and who is woefully underqualified and vote for him based on some meaningless, empty slogan that they mindlessly chanted like stupefied zombies.

June 15, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • SoScared

@Peterson – if this is the American dream, we should all kill ourselves, now.

June 16, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  11. Mike

Politically, I am not a Sarah Palin fan, but this email obviously has nothing to do with politics. Here is a woman who is coming to terms with a life changing reality that many of us secretly hope we never have to deal with. I think it is a glimpse of a private moment of a REAL person and shame on the media for trying to imply delusions of grandeur.

June 15, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
  12. revolting peasant

Did any of you folks ever see a Peter Sellers movie called "Being There"? Its about a mentally retarded man who has lived his life tending the gardens of a rich man. When the rich man dies, Peter Seller's character is cast out on the street and through a series of events he finds himself in a position where he is being considered as a candidate for the president of the USA. Its a great movie, pretty funny, but seemingly implausible until Sarah Palin comes on the political scene. This woman is a nutjob, and we should all look at her as a source of irony, comdedy and entertainment. Thankfully, she opted out of the governer's job in Alaska and hopefully, she will never have a position of responsibility again.

June 15, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
  13. Robert G

Dear God,

Thank you for making humans in all shapes, forms, and IQ... including the unique model called Sarah Palin. It is however unfortunate that you also gave that one the ability to procreate.

Klatu.

June 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
  14. Debra

I'm not a Palin fan, but until you've walked in the shoes of someone who learns that the beautiful new baby they are about to welcome into their lives will bring with him a diagnosis of Down's and a lifetime of challenges, I'm not sure you can even begin to understand. A letter from God wouldn't be my first choice, but the message is about faith, compassion, love and blessings. Give her a break!

June 15, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
    • mary

right. If you haven't had a child with exceptional needs – you have no idea what it takes to parent them, or how special they are. What's wrong with this letter? I've seen plenty of poems and letters published that assume to be written from God. I think this is Great!!!

June 15, 2011 at 7:43 pm |
  15. Frank

I personally think Sara Palin is a clown, but this does make me feel some empathy for her. I think that is a very sincere email not only to her friends and family but to herself maybe to help come to terms with a down syndrome child.

June 15, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
  16. Defcom

As a judgmental American, I judge every person/celebrity/politician that appears on CNN articles. It's simply what I do; for my life is meaningless, and I feel just a tad bit better judging the mistakes and flaws of others.

Some of you are starting to realize how the media works, this one is an obvious one that only total idiots would fall for. I'm glad you are all catching on.

June 15, 2011 at 7:35 pm |
  17. M.

Is she a God? not even close..so how does she even dare to write something like that. Calling her child gift from God which it is..but then leaving her children in care of other people most of the time. Sorry, she didn't win any points by this email either.

June 15, 2011 at 7:35 pm |
    • peterson

First the left was complaining that Palin was using her child and children as "props"

Now they are claiming she is neglecting them.

Yet they call Palin "stupid"

These people don't live in reality.

June 15, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  18. lori

I know chrsitians talk to 'god' but this is the first time I've ever seen on claim to be 'god' what an idiot.... there is no way I'd ever vote for her for anything and I'm a republicain

June 15, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
    • Defcom

**FIXED
      I know chrsitians talk to 'god' but this is the first time I've ever seen on claim to be 'god' what an idiot.... there is no way I'd ever vote for her for anything and I'm a total idiot.

June 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
  19. Brad

Great email Sarah :). Keep on trucking. God bless.

June 15, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
    • mary

Right on Brad

June 15, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
  20. Ella Guru

"Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine!"

Actually, doctors call it Down Syndrome.

June 15, 2011 at 7:33 pm |