home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Joseph

These people on the left are really sicko's. All you have to do is probably look at the low life that these people come from. Probably people who have failed with themselves, and work, and probably with their their own family. Wether you like her or not, Sarah Palin has been a very successful woman, with smarts. She's not a dummy, or imbecile that some of you people claim she is. I sense a lot of jealousy because she is successful and your not. So you people out there who spill words of hate and anger at Sarah, just stick with your man Obama who has really given you hope and a bright future all the ay to the poor house or unemployment line. Take a look at yourself and get some guts to be something that she is and your not! God Bless you Sarah Palin for being the person you are, a Great American and a born leader. History tells you that good leaders are not liked. Well here's an example!

June 15, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
    • Jebus Friggin Carrriste!

Can I buy some pot from you?

June 15, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • Jeff

What great leaders are not liked? In History? What the hell are you talking about you psycho?

June 15, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
    • asqu

What the hell were you reading? She is taking a name no one should take, but rather look up to. In my understanding those two are very effin different...like the guy before me, what is the stuff called that you smoke. if it's powerful enough for you to ACTUALLY like sarah, then you know what? I may need some too so I too can forgive her for ditching alaska

June 15, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
    • Alyeska

Wow. You're seriously deluded. It's truly scary. A "born leader" who quits? That's some intense denial you're living with.....pray tell, why?

June 15, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
    • john

Uhh...Jeff...no matter your definition of 'great', there are more 'great' leaders that were NOT liked when they were in charge than those that were. To the original poster...can i buy some pot from you?

June 15, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • God

Obama made it to the Presidency. Sarah made it Discovery Channel. Enough said.

June 15, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  2. ella

Reality folks ; there is no grand stage director, no ethereal being, no god.

June 15, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  3. Abuela

I guess we can add physic to the list of things Sarah is. She 'God' knew 6 weeks before her due date that things would be 'rushed along'. Maybe all the pictures of the miracle 3 week pregnancy are accurate, the Alaskan blogging community has been on this story for three years. Check them out for yourself.

June 15, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  4. God

Sarah, I made a mistake in creating you. Please correct my mistake asap. Love god, even though you truly know I don't exist, I'm just a tool to keep the poor inline.

June 15, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  5. Andrew

Interesting that she believes God made everyone perfect just as they are-except for gays

June 15, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
    • ItSOnLyME

And Liberals of course.

June 15, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  6. rdmj1968

This THING is NUT JOB! Can she be any dumber!!!

June 15, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  7. MC

Why does God the Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth (and words) of all that is seen and unseen have to quote His own stuff? God notes that doctors refer to the disease as "Downs Syndrome." I want to know what God calls it. Anybody know?

June 15, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
    • ItSOnLyME

You'd think God would know it's actually "Down Syndrome" not "Down's Syndrome" wouldn't you? I mean, He created it, right? And he created the guy who named it, so one would think he'd know the correct term.

June 15, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  8. Sheila

I'm not a Palin fan AT ALL, but I have to say that I think her email to her family "from God" is lovely. I don't agree with her on most things but I can't argue with the message and intent behind this message.

June 15, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  9. Santa Claus

Keep it up the good work Sarah! The liberal media and it's loyal mob can't tell their brain matter from their fecal matter.

June 15, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
    • ItSOnLyME

Well Santa old boy, at least those of us on the left *have* brains. Which is not something you can say universally about the right.

June 15, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
    • Santa Claus

Hey pal, stop trying to talk to Santa, he doesn't exist.

June 15, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
    • Beastly

Why is it necessary to be vile?

June 16, 2011 at 2:07 am |
  10. Maria N

I never imagined defending Sarah Palin, EVER. However, for her to have crafted this very special letter to her family and friends to prepare them for the challenges of having a family member with Down syndrome earns my respect. And for the media to make fun of it is a bit nauseating!

June 15, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
    • MC

Ah, but Sarah would have us believe that the Lord wrote the email which suggests to me that Ms. Palin was unwilling or unable to speak to her family directly about this very difficult situation. It's like telling your kid he didn't get a PSIII for Christmas because Santa had other plans and he sent you this email explaining why kids who get PSIII's really suck.

I'm not saying she's a bad person for writing the email, there's plenty of other evidence for that discussion, but she had to know she was using a work email address. You'd think, or at least you'd like to think, a freaking Gov would know that work emails are a part of the public domain, right? That being the case, it follows that this is just another example of Sarah P's pandering to the right. I know conservatives love their own and hate the rest, but even semi-logical right wing nuts have to see this for what it is.

June 15, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  11. Jeremy

slow news day

June 15, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  12. Glenn

You are so right James.

June 15, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
  13. Ponder Life

Although I am not a fan of Palin's politics, I applaud what she wrote in this e-mail. In it she seeks to see her son's birth from God's perspective and share that perspective with her family and friends. I think what she wrote is beautiful, and don't think anyone has the right to criticize something this personal.

June 15, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  14. BrendaT

bekki here, here. Ibelieve you hit the nail on the head. Not only do I think this was written to share with family and friends, it gives us as the public, a uniqueglimpse of her hearts feeling of what God would be saying to her. If anything this shows me that Sarah Palin holds God as a very important person in her life.I think it's great!!!!

June 15, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  15. Matt

So many people here saying that the bible is "gods word"...not a fact guys..sorry.

June 15, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • JAMES

Ok, you happen to have any proof. I'm sure you wouldnt mind sharing!

June 15, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • God

Sarah, I made a mistake in creating you. Please correct my mistake asap. Love god.

June 15, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  16. David

Ignore.
    This.
    Woman.
    And get on with real news. I don't doubt she is sincere in her faith but this endless trolling of her emails is ludicrous.

June 15, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • Joe K

yea lets talk some more about Anthony Weinner!!! that's better story!!!

June 15, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
    • John

I agree with you 100%

June 15, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
  17. unowhoitsme

It's gossip...people thrive on gossip....gossip makes money.

June 15, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  18. Boyd

I see nothing wrong with her e-mail. While I'm not religious in any way, I see no harm here. It's sappy and sentimental, but contains no ill-mannered intent. It's even kind of sweetly adorable. And I dislike Sarah Palin with a passion. But this is a non-story. It is a blog on CNN though, so we shouldn't expect "news".

June 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • a

It would be sweet and adorable if it weren't (as everything this woman does) totally self serving... this woman will use the same "god" to discriminate.

June 15, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
    • Iheartyou

Absolutely agree with you, Boyd. Sounds to me as if she was trying to make some peace with a situation that must have thrown her family for a loop. It's not easy to find out that your child will be born with a "defect". And like you – I can't stand this woman. But this is a true non-issue and shouldn't even have been published. It feels very intrusive. Seems like a very private matter... and she is, at the moment anyway, technically just a private citizen.

June 15, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Missouri Farmer

Non-story? Boyd, didn't you notice? This is the draft version of her email, written at least six weeks before Trig's announced due date, yet she reveals that Trig is going to be born prematurely ("rush it along"). The public version was only sent out *after* the announcement of Trig's birth, when it made sense for her to know it would be/was premature.

This draft version was not redacted because the people involved did not realize its significance.

June 15, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  19. JAMES

This is strengh of character, unselfessness, morale standing, that moves even an old hard man like me. It would be nice to see a President with these qualities be elected by the people of America. May God bless her and guide her.

June 15, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
    • Joe K

I second that James Blessed are all you !

June 15, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
    • MC

She quit her 4 year term as Gov after 2 years. What strength of character are you referring to?

June 15, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
    • Electric Larry

You are experiencing senility, James. Saner minds would not come to that conclusion.

June 15, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
    • BrendaT

I agree with you tattally James. I AM hoping she will make a run for president!

June 15, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • Glenn

You are so right James. Thank you.

June 15, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Erica

please-. Besides being presumptuous enough to put her own words in the mouth of God, it has nothing to do with her ability to lead. I actually hate that they are dragging out all of her e-mails, but the woman has proven over and over again that she is not competent to lead.

June 15, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
    • Erica

James- your response was just FULL of love for your brother. Maybe we should all just worry about ourselves before God. Republicans/evangelicals have enough blood on their hands (evangelicals support the use of torture more than any other demographic in the US, support capitol punishment, oppose access to health care for all) without pointing the finger at everyone else. Like the saying goes, if you want a republican to care about you go back to being a fetus.

June 15, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
    • MC

Erica – the complete saying is "if you want a Republican to care for you, go back to being a fetus, OR A SLAVE"

June 15, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  20. frank

The fact that this rooster-faced squawking bigot imbecile felt the need to defend a child's value just because he was different by not only sending people this saccharine shinola, but putting on her shaman mask and pretending to channel the sky god, makes me want to energetically vomit right on her squawking imbecile bigot rooster face.

June 15, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
    • pithymcgee

Bravo, sir. Bravo.

June 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • Glenn

What an idiot you are.......guess you have been drinking way too much of the cool aide......and I am a lifelong Dem and you my friend are a complete idiot.......drink more of the cool aide.......you have until 2012 then we can all rest when that idiot you elected is out of office

June 15, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
    • JAMES

I see people like you come in everyday on the brink of life's end, you need to deal with your hatred and make peace with your creator, because you wont ride so high in the saddle when your appointment comes due. The bible says if a man hates his brother says he loves God, He is a Liar.

June 15, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
    • pithymcgee

James -Stop proselytizing. There is no God, but if you want to have an imaginary friend, fine – just stop telling well-adjusted reasonable human beings to get a better relationship with their creator. You know nothing.

June 15, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Rose

If Glenn was a "lifelong dem" he would not be defending Palin. Stop lying you right wing sheep in wolf clothing!

June 15, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
    • MC

Who spouts more hatred than poor, poor Sarah P? Her hatred of Obama runs so deep that she even criticizes his wife's stance on controlling childhood obesity. Now THAT is some good, old fashioned hatred.

Here's the truth of the matter: Ms. Palin is an uneducated poser who spouts vitriol whenever a microphone is near. Her constant reference to The Lord neither excuses nor hides her hatred of everything and everyone who is a strident supporter. Worse still is that her constant reference to the Lord, and the bible makes people think she is a spiritual person. It is those people for whom I have the most concern because they are being twisted away from their core beliefs and are falling in lock step with this money grubbing, hate-spewing thief.

June 15, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • Glenn

Rose....I can show you my voter registration card....lifelong Dem......but the idiot in the White House is destroying this country. Keeep drinking the cool aide......it looks like you need more. If you voted for change in 2008 then vote for change again in 2012......just to save America.

Good luck Cool Aide drinkers.

June 15, 2011 at 8:51 pm |