home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Santa Claus

The baby killing, sodomizing, thieving liberals on here obviously do not understand anything other than killing, sodomy and stealing.

June 15, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
    • Jebus Friggin Kreyst

Me and your Mom.

June 15, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
    • CrowdedPond

You my "friend", sound a bit psychotic.

June 15, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
    • Santa Claus

Ever heard of the pot calling the kettle black?

June 15, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
    • Ashrakay

OMG!!!! I totally miss sodomy! Thanks for the reminder. I was so caught up with my baby killing that I totally forgot.

June 15, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • CrowdedPond

Santa Claus, you're not getting an xmas present from me this year. 🙂

June 15, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
    • SoScared

Your mother should have been pro choice.

June 16, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  2. Rollie

Wow, tens of thousands of emails and this is the best you can come up with? CNN – you're agenda to bash Palin is out there for all to see.

June 15, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
  3. Jebus Friggin Kreyst

Sarah, this is God... if I were real I would have smited you by now.

June 15, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
  4. Jimmie Beck

FAITH IN A CRETOR IS A CHOICE A PERSON MAKES...IF YOU DO THINK THERE IS NO CRETOR, WELL, FOR YOU THERE IS NONE...WHEN YOU DIE YOU'RE GOING TO BE ALL DRESSED UP AND NO PLACE TO GO...SOME ONE SAYS, PROVE TO ME THERE IS A GOD AND THE PERSON WHO BELIEVES THERE IS A GOD SAYS, PROVE TO ME THERE IS NO GOD.. FOR ME, IF THERE IS NO CREATOR THERE IS NO REASON FOR LIFE. GOD GIVES US A LOVING REASON FOR OUR BEING...I CANNOT Make A PERSON HAVE MY FAITRH BUT I CAN SHARE THE HOPE WITH IN ME...A HOPE THAT IS AN EXPECTION....SINCERELY, JIM

June 15, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • Jebus Friggin Kreyst

The all caps really did it for me, thanks

June 15, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
    • Herp Derp

Caps lock doesn't make you louder, nor does it make god real.

June 15, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
    • Ashrakay

Sure, I'll prove to you that there's no god... the proof will be there waiting for you when you die. If you're drowning, it's not faith in a creator that keeps you alive, it's you're body's will of countless millennia of evolutionary intelligence that drives us to procreate and survive. Faith in a creator doesn't give you the will to live, it only gives you and excuse to be intellectually lazy.

June 15, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
    • CrowdedPond

Hey Jimmie, how about just trying to live a good life? Life isn't some "waiting room" to die so you can go be with your god.

June 15, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
    • Terri Bennett

Very well said, Jimmie. God bless you.

June 15, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
    • Richard Slapp

Jimmie ol' boy...

If you want to believe in an imaginary skydaddy, fine. Just don't drag the rest of society into your psychotic adventure. Xtians ought to stop cramming their imaginary friend down everyone elses throat. For me, I am going to die and cease to exist at the same time and I am quite OK with that, because I understand reality. I need no imaginary afterlife to make me feel like life is worth living. Life is what I make of it. Nothing more, nothing less. I have been introduced to Xtianity by those trying to "save" my imaginary soul. Fortunately I was old enough and wise enough to buy none of the charade. I wonder what goes through peoples minds when they buy the whole package of "Pay me 10% and I'll tell you fantastic stories and promise you another life after this one"....sheesh.

June 15, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
  5. Gibbs

It is so easy to understand the ugliness and hate in this world when you read some of these responses.
    Very sad.

June 15, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
    • CrowdedPond

This stuff has been going on since the first humans climbed down from the trees. Most humans are nasty and vile little creatures, but some are exceptionally kind and good. It's nothing new and the best thing to do is not take any of it seriously or stop reading it. CNN, WAPO, NYT and so forth puts it up so they can make money by banner ads and numbers of clicks. What God and Sarah do doesn't concern me. 🙂

June 15, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  6. Cartman

Is this the best turd slinging you can come up with after 2 and a half years of work obtaining them and then taking the good time and effort to read 24000 pages? Sometimes it's better to just let things go quietly. So.... When will we be discussing the Obama emails from his time in Illinois? You haven't requested them? Hacks.

June 15, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  7. Kenny Noble Cortes

CNN has nothing better to do than try to bring down Sarah Palin? Don't your ombudsmen tell you what a stupid thing it is you are doing? Everytime you try to bring her down, God lifts her up to even higher status than she was before. That must really chap your lips. Go ahead...keep it up.

June 15, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  8. b__m

I am not a republican but honestly the letter is very touching. Its amazing that liberals would jump on her no matter what.

June 15, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
    • Pondy

I actually can't stand her for so many reasons, but I agree, this is touching email, and I give her that credit.

June 15, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  9. john

god doesn't make mistakes, according to palin, unless you are gay-then apparently, he does...interesting!

June 15, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
    • sam

your point would make sense... if we believed God MADE you gay.

June 15, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • Ashrakay

Well Sam, I suppose if you're willing to believe in an imaginary Santa Clause in the sky, then I suppose the reality of human nature, genetics and biological disposition would be a little out of your range of comprehension.

June 15, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  10. CrowdedPond

I just barfed all over my keyboard. Sarah, always craving attention.

June 15, 2011 at 8:30 pm |

……………………………..,< `.._|_,-&"................`\

June 15, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
    • Jebus Friggin Carrriste

lol

June 15, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  12. Agent099

I am not a Sarah Palin political fan. I think in this email I like her for being a caring and gentle Mother. This was a sweet and kind message to her family. Not for all to judge.

June 15, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
    • CrowdedPond

Maybe, maybe not. You can never know what kind of mother she is and really, when Sarah has as much financial resources as she's gained, you can afford having and raising a Down's syndrome child. Money buys a lot of professional assistance care.

June 15, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  13. taildragon

Although I've heard little to respect in any of her other public statements, I have to give her a pass on this. We all deal with our disabled children in our own way.

June 15, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  14. David Riker

pis ss on the god Sarah prays to...

June 15, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  15. reality

Keep falling for the BS

June 15, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  16. David Riker

Sarah darling, get down on your knees and fondle the divine schlong

June 15, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  17. Susan

What a really nice way to break the news of this to family. If GOD could email, I am sure it would be as well written as this. I really think this was handled correctly on Sarah Palins end.

June 15, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  18. Marie Kidman

June 15, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  19. Santa Claus

Athiests are the real voice of God, or so they say!

June 15, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  20. bbm

Love the email! Very touching!

June 15, 2011 at 8:26 pm |