home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Geoffrey

So far, as Sarah Palin EZmails are brought to light, I find her to be a normal everyday type of
    human being. She is dealing with the full packages of responsiblities whether with managing
    the State of Alaska, the family or her run or runs for the top executive office of this land.
    I am a republican. But, I do not see her as presidentcial matterial. Nor for Vice President either.
    But, she has a good deal to share maybe the Position of Senator from, yes, Arizona.
    That can work..........................

June 15, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
  2. God

Anyone who claims to hear voices telling them what to do belongs in a straight jacket. This also applies to Bachmann.

June 15, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
  3. JoJo

Why do these preachy Neocons think only they know the will of God? Their enthusiastic support of expensive, lie-based, unnecessary massive violence (e.g., the War in Iraq) directly contradicts the teachings of Jesus, as the Vatican and most Protestant religious hierarchies have repeatedly pointed out. Their support for increasing economic disparity also contradicts what Jesus taught about the rich giving their money to the poor and that the rich have less chance of coming into the Kingdom of God than a camel through the eye of a needle.

June 15, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
  4. Ashrakay

It's just too bad that god didn't see fit to make this baby perfect in the first place. Seems kind of petty to make a child feel alienated or suffer or have to struggle just to prove a point to someone.

June 15, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  5. Someone

“However big the fool, there is always a bigger fool to admire him.”

June 15, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  6. Joaco

I am not a Palin fan at allllllllllll. For those conservatives that defend her on this, I CAN NOT IMAGINE!!!!!! if Barack Hussein Obama wold have written this email. OMG, OMG, OMG, they would go CRAZYYYYYYYY, the world would end!!!!! It would be time to go buy more guns and tune in to Glen Beck and Rush to see what the real gods would suggest we all do. Can you imagine.....

June 15, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  7. Nit

I'm sorry but this is freaking hilarious! I understand that Palin wants to be the good mother and express her feelings towards her son, Trig. Now here's the question, does she really have to write this letter as if she was the voice of God and then send it to whomever she did? I think it would've been substantial just to write how she felt, in her OWN WORDS, and read it to him as he got older that way he would know how she felt while she carried him. Is using the voice of God really necessary when writing a letter about her feelings? I honestly think that she chose to use the voice of God to give her the feeling that she had divine power as to what was created in her person. So is she really a nut case? Or does she just not know what to do with herself? Then again, that's my opinion.

June 15, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
  8. Peter Griffin

^That "trig" is the root of Sarah's problems. I find the "Down Syndrome" lifestyle offensive and abnormal. Down Syndrom IS A CHOICE. God don't make nobody tarded.

June 15, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
  9. Jessica

I'm as much of a pinko atheist as you can find on this planet and I think this is actually a really sweet and forthright way to address their feelings about the baby to friends and family. I disagree with Palin on basically every issue and find her genrally easy to dismiss, but her clear desire to provide a loving and positive life for Trig is pretty obvious in this letter. It's pretty moving, and the conceit of God writing this letter to make her family know that they are excited instead of depressed works well.

June 15, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
    • Justworkhardeveryday

Pretty good point! I was kind of thinking the same thing and I too am as liberal as it gets.........but she is still in no way anything close he to a presidential reality.

June 15, 2011 at 9:15 pm |
  10. Marie Kidman

June 15, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
  11. Dayga427

I don't quite know whether Palin is delusional, or simply dangerous. What is clear is that she has is a self-promoter who has overstayed her welcome. Admittedly, there are a small percentage of people that find her viewpoint appealing. A very small percentage. What's troublesome is that she seems to think this translates into making her opinions relevant on the national political landscape. In reality, she has become a distraction. Her brand of politics thrives on divisiveness and anger, with little tolerance for people that don't blindly follow her misguided lead. Americans have a great capacity, almost an instinctive gift at knowing a rat when they see one, even if it's well-dressed with a fashionable coif. At this point, Palin will do anything to stay in the spotlight, even though she has lost all credibility as a woman of tolerance and intellect that can build consensus. As such, I don't see her being elected to any office of national responsibility from this point forward.

June 15, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  12. cantilever

It's eeesy to love a defective infant. It's eeeesy to love a deformed cat or dog. True, God loves them all. But wait 10 years, Sarah, and let us know what you think of raising a disabled child for 40 years. As for her little impersonation of God, God, being generous, is overlooking it.

June 15, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
  13. peterson

I actually hope the media keeps up their insane vendetta against Palin, as it only vindicates her while it indicts them, along with her hate-filled critics.

June 15, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • Peter Griffin

yeh! She'll show them!!! yeh!

...burp.

June 15, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  14. Peter Griffin

June 15, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
  15. Liutgard

Why would God send an email? We already have very clear directions from him, and we appear to be quite capable of ignoring them.

" 34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” "

June 15, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  16. laura

I despise her, but she got it right re a child/people with Down syndrome. The only thing I agree with her about.

June 15, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
  17. chucky

but then they grow up.

June 15, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
  18. LisaK

I thought the email was a clever way to introduce Trig. Very touching and really makes me respect the love Sarah Palin has for God and her family.

June 15, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
    • God

yeh... too bad "God" is made up.

June 15, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  19. Richard Cheese

Conservatives are such hypocrites. Where are all the neo-Cons condemning her for blaspheming God? (crickets) "No one can know the mind of God..." .....except Christian Republicans. Idiots.

June 15, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  20. CrowdedPond

CNN, do you really believe this tripe rates as being "news"? If you want to have filler, why not put in a comics page? Palin and her tribe are getting really old, fast.

June 15, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
    • Missouri Farmer

CrowdedPond, it *is* news. Sarah has revealed, in this draft message six weeks ahead of Trig's announced due date, that he's going to be premature. The public version of the message was of course only sent *after* the announced birth of Trig.

June 15, 2011 at 8:54 pm |