home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Seorsa

People should feel free to use their imaginary friend in any way they want.

June 16, 2011 at 10:12 am |
  2. Joe Camel

Whatever we know damn well that baby's got down's syndrome because she's a lush and hit the bottle while she was preggerz. God had nothing to do with it, unless you count abandoning our race thousands of years ago.

June 16, 2011 at 9:58 am |
  3. Dee

wow...I just discussed thias topic about Trig on my FB page a week ago; I DO NOT like Mrs. Palin not for political reason but BECAUSE of how Trig is treated.This 'letter' from GOD was written before he was born; I'd love to know how much time she has actually been with him his short life since he was born; I worked 19 years for the state of NJ in direct care of developmentally disabled/mentally retarded...I special olympic coached for 8 years these most special children of God.Trig needs his mommy HOME with him these early important years...Mrs. Palin needs to get her istraight for little Trig!

June 16, 2011 at 9:45 am |
  4. Kit

I think the "email from God" was heartfelt and touching as it related to Palin's experience. I have to wonder if she has read the book by Neale Donald Walsch, "Conversations With God?" Although her email might be a paraphrase, it was a lift. Is plagiarism also in her repertoire?

June 16, 2011 at 9:29 am |
    • T

Fools like you really make me sick. If it were "plagarism", it would be published somewhere and she'd be deliberately trying to make money off of someone else's work. These are e-mails. If quoting someone were "plagarism", everybody would be in trouble.

June 16, 2011 at 9:50 am |
  5. Joey

.. This email actually made me respect her. I used to hate her, but the emails have been making me like her more. But what's with the magical bus tour? It's stupid. But maybe she honestly is just on a bus tour and the media was tricked into learning History. Who knows? The emails have changed a lot of what we thought about her.

June 16, 2011 at 9:18 am |
  6. Reality

Most politicians as do 85% of the global population suffer from the Three B Syndrome i.e. being Bred, Born and Brainwashed in their religion. In Palin's case, it is a blend of the RCC and the Assemblies of God church, the nation's largest Pentecostal denomination. Said Syndrome is curable.

June 16, 2011 at 7:40 am |
    • La, La, La

Yes, but curing Sarah Palin from the Syndrome, will bankrupt our nation.

June 16, 2011 at 8:05 am |
    • Reality

Curing the Three B Syndrome of S. Palin and all other Christians at no cost:

From that famous passage: In 1 Corinthians 15 St. Paul reasoned, "If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith."

To wit;

From a major Catholic university's theology professor’s grad school white-board notes:

Jesus and Mary's bodies are therefore not in Heaven.

Only Luke's Gospel records it. The Assumption ties Jesus' mission to Pentecost and missionary activity of Jesus' followers The Assumption has multiple layers of symbolism, some are related to Mary's special role as "Christ bearer" (theotokos). It does not seem fitting that Mary, the body of Jesus' Virgin-Mother (another biblically based symbol found in Luke 1) would be derived by worms upon her death. Mary's assumption also shows God's positive regard, not only for Christ's male body, but also for female bodies." "

With respect to rising from the dead, we also have this account:

o An added note: As per R.B. Stewart in his introduction to the recent book, The Resurrection of Jesus, Crossan and Wright in Dialogue,

o p.4
      o "Reimarus (1774-1778) posits that Jesus became sidetracked by embracing a political position, sought to force God's hand and that he died alone deserted by his disciples. What began as a call for repentance ended up as a misguided attempt to usher in the earthly political kingdom of God. After Jesus' failure and death, his disciples stole his body and declared his resurrection in order to maintain their financial security and ensure themselves some standing."

o p.168. by Ted Peters:

Even so, asking historical questions is our responsibility. Did Jesus really rise from the tomb? Is it necessary to have been raised from the tomb and to appear to his disciples in order to explain the rise of early church and the transcription of the bible? Crossan answers no, Wright answers, yes. "

o So where are the bones"? As per Professor Crossan's analyses in his many books, the body of Jesus would have ended up in the mass graves of the crucified, eaten by wild dogs, with lime in a shallow grave, or under a pile of stones.

June 16, 2011 at 10:42 am |
  7. Suhail C

I am really surprised and baffled at how so many republicans put her at the top of polls as a presidential candidate. That is pretty pathetic. I'm amazed at how the people here actually say "Oh what a lovely message!" while completely ignoring the fact she signed it in Gods name. Seriously? I guess the stupidity of some people will never cease to amaze the few intelligent that are left.

This women should have NEVER held a position in political office, PERIOD. Her whole career is a big scam. The interview with Katie Couric somehow was not enough for some people. As long as people continue blindly over looking true intelligence to admire her charm then they will never see Palin for the true person she is. A complete IDIOT.

June 16, 2011 at 5:05 am |
  8. cbr

Ms. Palin's writings should have been kept as her private thoughts about Trig. No matter how well-prepared one might be before the birth of a special needs child, there is a period of working through the real issues that the parent will face. Even very religious people have to take time to sort things out for themselves and their families.

If this is Ms. Palin's way to sort things out for herself then this writing should be private and should be sent to family and close friends. Did this need to be published? No, but there is a media frenzy around anything Palin. The media needs to move on. There is so much news to report and Ms. Palin is not a news story right now. Should she become a candidate then all bets are off.

June 16, 2011 at 4:40 am |
    • WOWinTX!

Umm! thats why you should never use your "Professional" email account for "personal" matters.

June 16, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  9. Gaunt

K, I have to say: I cant stand Palin, she represents everything that is wrong with America. Quitters and political opportunists, without any professional or genuine conviction, seeking to enrich themselcves and gain the limelight any way they can.

However, I find it difficult to see anything wrong with this email. Its tone or how it was written. Seems quite understanding and respectful to me.

Frankly, if you want to abuse Palin, there is no end of REAL material for scorn, without having to search really hard to invent some in cases like this.

At least she didn't write the letter from the perspective of Paul Revere...

June 16, 2011 at 2:41 am |
  10. Nancy

This is one of the most beautiful writings one could create. God must have given her this message to write so we all could understand the importance of being different. God does not lie nor does he perform what is not the best. We earthlings may not undersatnd the higher being but we know he lives and we should give praise for all people regardless of what we don't understand. Good for you Sarah and I take it you trusted God enough to put this in writing no matter what others think. Bless you and family

June 16, 2011 at 2:09 am |
  11. *Janey*

I read it and don't see a thing wrong – I believe she was going through it at the time as most if not all do when they find out news like that. I think that she was expressing her feelings as a lot of christian song writers do (through the eyes of God) in their songs. I think that once again the media put out a story that will not only make them look like they are grasping for straws but this will also help her in the long run. I do not believe that Sarah Palin of all people have a God complex lol and I don't think this story is showing any signs of that at all. I think these were private very personal thoughts of a woman who is facing something that a lot of woman choose to discard as yesterdays garbage or sit in front of a tv and just pretend drugs and alcohol will "make everything all better". I wish more woman would focus and reflect on their situations as God would, after all isnt that what we are supposed to do? She is a very strong and courageous woman and if this is the worst of the 24000 e-mails I say BRAVO! SARAH PALIN 2012 DEMAND IT & PASS IT ON!

June 16, 2011 at 12:44 am |
  12. dinak

Were all of Clinton's communications released, as well? I don't remember a huge rush to read every letter he ever wrote. Of course, I forgot, he is a liberal, and the media don't like to do research on their fellow libs.

June 16, 2011 at 12:42 am |
    • Matthew Hurst

They were released at the time. He did only release 2 emails during his eight years in office.

June 16, 2011 at 12:57 am |
    • Matthew Hurst

I mean he only sent two emails in the eight years.

June 16, 2011 at 12:58 am |
  13. Les Hollowed

"Earthlings"? Geez, the woman can sound stupid on paper or when she opens her mouth – I guess she does have one talent.

Loved the crap about 'hurried the pregnancy along' so they could surprise everyone near the end. I understood that he was born at term, or nearly so. Or is she still trying to cover all that talk about how suddenly she was almost 9 months pregnant and nobody could tell?

I surprised she didn't suggest that 'god' gave them Trig so there would be another male around in case they needed to protect their gun rights and form a militia.

If she was trying to write a letter from what she signs as "Your Heavenly Father", then she should have called people "my children", but EARTHLINGS? Does she think her heavenly father is an alien? Does she really believe that we are sitting on a planet and 'god' is sitting up in the sky somewhere? Does she know anything about what the Bible teaches, what Christianity is about?

Her idiocy knows no bounds. It is people like her (and those that give her ANY credence) that are the true dangers in this world.

June 16, 2011 at 12:39 am |
    • OneAtheistUnderGod

Ummm, Les Hollowed how can U say its her idiocy when in fact U believe in the same invisible being in the sky that watches over

everyones very move? That would make U a idiot aswell FYI. Jesus is the Santa Claus for grown ups and just a big worthless argument

over who has the best imaginary friend. So before U try insulting someone else U should really catch up with reality and ditch the fairy

tales U grew up with.

June 16, 2011 at 2:04 am |
    • William Demuth

Strangely scary question I have to ask.

Can people who have what Trig has actually own firearms?

I mean many have said we should have something akin to an IQ before you are allowed near one, but this actually seems like a legitimate question.

Are folks burdened by that condition allowed to have gun ownership, and if so, why?

June 16, 2011 at 8:49 am |
  14. no, just no

And this woman aspires to leadership roles? Stay home, Sarah. I only want what's best for you.

June 16, 2011 at 12:20 am |
  15. HotAirAce

I think Sarah Palin is loonie toons but I can't fault her for the basic messages in her letter about her son to be. She could have said many of the same things about children with DS, or with any other mental or physical challenge, without any reference to a god, but either way prepping her family for the arrival of her son is admirable.

June 16, 2011 at 12:13 am |
  16. william legge

Can't you people just lay the guns down for a moment and just appreciate a mom who received very difficult news for any person and her family, and found a unique way to share this news with her family and close friends in the form of a letter from God. Put yourself in that kind of situation. I mean can't you just be human, I even promise I won't dare for even a moment to think that you might find any redeeming quality in this loving wife and mother of five.

June 16, 2011 at 12:12 am |
    • How Ann Coulter's Burning Cervix Syndrome Shaped Her Political Outlook

I think you might ask Sarah Palin if she could "just be human" also, because she sure loves to villify and demonize everyone who does not worship her.

As she has sewn, so has she reaped.

June 16, 2011 at 12:18 am |
  17. Dave

Now that's what I call... HOLY PLAGIARISM! cha cha cha... I'll be here all week. :p

June 15, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
  18. aklucia

Frankly, I could care less whether Palin had to address herself as God in this missive. She is obviously god centered in her philosophy of life. This is not for me to judge. But, I do take issue with the fact she did not prepare her family for Trig's arrival. Her daughter Willow noted his obvious signs of Downs syndrome while first holding him. Her mother told her she would still love him no matter what. I can honestly say this is not always true. My aunt had Downs and it was a very difficult affliction to understand. My aunt was often violent and abusive when she did not get her way (even in a board game) and my parents were quite aware that when my grandparents were unable to take care of my aunt they would be become her caregiver. I am certain this was a great strain on my parents' marriage. Given the fact Sarah Palin knew she was carrying a Downs baby I think it was incredibly cruel to not prepare her children for this very important event that stood to change the dynamic in her family for at least one and maybe two generations. Personally, if presented with this situation I would have contacted several families with Downs children to make sure I and my family fully understand the reality of the situation. It is not always predictable and easy and I find it beyond the pale to believe it is so.

June 15, 2011 at 11:43 pm |
    • U-Boats Are Sailing Once More!

Very insightful, aklucia, and well-written. You will probably be trashed for it.

June 15, 2011 at 11:54 pm |
    • Mike_Utah

This is like saying they know a child that is mean and conclude that all are mean.

June 16, 2011 at 12:21 am |
  19. Co

Bottom-line, the information Sarah provided regarding her pregnancy contradicts basic logic.

-leaking fluid and flying 12 hours back to Alaska...if this was a true story then she is incredibly ignorant and reckless. No way would any mother get on a flight if a delivery was cmoing...especially one with a layover and that long
    -when I was pregnant, I didn't show until later but her development within a week....another doesn't make sense
    -it just goes on and on

Something's up ...
    someone, please really look into this.

June 15, 2011 at 11:08 pm |
  20. Corey

The picture would look much cleaner without her cheap and old appearence..

June 15, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
    • William Demuth

Corey

She maybe be crazy as a loon, but don't underestimate her hotness factor. No matter how much we hate her, it seems the pencil skirts win the day

Hell, I have been even known to watch her give speeches.

I just turn the sound off!

If she wants to cure cancer, all she has to do is pose in the nude, and wallets the world over will open!

June 16, 2011 at 8:45 am |