home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. TRIGonometry

God doesn't make mistakes according to Caribou Barbie, so I guess she also feels that gays and lesbians were born the way they are and that it's not a choice. I guess that means she feels they should be treated equally to other people. No? I guess God told her "whatever you think is good enough for me, CB."

June 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • engineer888

You were born with certain s e x organs. That determines what you are – it's a choice to be a deviant=gay.

June 15, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • Molly

So gay is deviant? God help your country if this is what you are churning out.

June 15, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • Mama2KOA

@engineer888 – if people choose to be gay... exactly when did you CHOOSE to be straight?

June 22, 2011 at 9:46 am |
  2. Skipper

I am one of Palin's biggest critics, but even I cant find fault in this....

June 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Ellenpisa

Unless of course this letter was written 7 weeks BEFORE Trig's birth (which, in fact, it was). The question is: How did Sarah know in advance that Trig would be "rushed along" as she says in her letter. How could she know that Trig was going to be born prematurely? Also of interest, is the fact that this part of her letter was edited (redacted?) out of the letter (the very same letter) published in "Going Rogue". Go figure.

June 15, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • minimoo

You mean other than the fact that she originally wrote/sent it to another email address more than a week before the child is supposed to have been born? How was she to know that everything would be "perfect," unless he had been born before this was written?

June 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  3. CW

Wow....I see the atheists and nonbelievers have made it....

Please don't try to break in the "going to heaven line" on Judgement day.......oops....forgot...you won't have that chance.

Tell you what...instead of making fun...examine yourself...examine your beliefs....I'll say that if you'll do this then you'll know that there is not only God but one that loves you very much. I pray that you will repent....so you don't have to worry about your eternity.

June 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Stevie7

"examine yourself...examine your beliefs"
      I did. That's why I'm an atheist.

"Tell you what...instead of making fun..."
      Maybe you should follow your own advice.

And since when did your god give you the ability to make final judgments? Unless he told you directly, how would you know that someone who doesn't believe in your particular form of god doesn't get into heaven. How presumptuous!

June 15, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • GTA

Expressing one's belief in God is one thing, it just doesn't belong on government letterhead....

June 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • MrsFizzy

Well GTA that is just one sign of things to come in Sarah's "Brave New World" if she was in charge.

June 15, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • Bucky Ball

So let me get this straight. As others have said, some I also HAVE examined my beliefs. I have come to a different conclusion than you. Are you saying you want us to come to your prearranged position, because for some reason, it's the only one you find acceptable? (Because you tell yourself it gets you in the right line ?) Should we lie to ourselves, and to your deity, and say "me-oh-my, I believe it all, just let me in that going-to-heaven line", just because it's more convenient ? Is integrity not a higher value than convenience ? I also want a "get-out-of-jail-free" coupon, but the cost is too high.

June 15, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • myweightinwords

And for those of us who have done this exact thing? Who have studied, who have examined our hearts and our beliefs, not just what we believe, but why we believe, who have prayed and meditated...and yet have come to a completely different conclusion than you?

What of us?

June 15, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • Deity Watching it all

CW: ehmmmm, our beliefs are, there is nothing to worry about god, yours, or Allah, or Jehova, Jehiva, Zeus, and all the others. For that reason I am happy to share the news with you. We won't crowd you in your heaven. Do you honestly believe I would want to spend eternity with you holier-than-thou people??? MY heaven is somewhere else, and I won't tell you where.

June 15, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • Trig

Ask God why he made me this way?

June 15, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  4. Jane

Thank you once again CNN for putting out the most controversial, knee-jerk garnering piece of crap you possibly can. What a fine news establishment you are. You manage to keep the fires fanned on Sarah Palin every day. Now, I will emphasize that as a candidate for office, I cannot stand the woman. I will consider moving to Canada if she ever wins a high office in this country. What she does, says, thinks as a private citizen, wife, and mother is her own and her family's business. I think the letter is sweet and that is the first positive thing I have EVER had to say about Sarah P. So there, your stupid little stunt has backfired on you somewhat because I am reading a lot of other opinions here that agree with mine. And oh., BTW, to FJ, you are a freaking idiot neanderthal. Duh, do you really think she would consider abortion??? Oh, so those tests and those procedures were "God-made?" Wrong-O idiot. They are people-made. And for the record, I am pro-choice. People like you bring out the worst in me.

June 15, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Deity Watching it all

Sorry, it wasn't CNN, it was God, ehmm no, his deputy Sarah who made up this heartwarming stuff. Poor Trig, mom's gone all the time, those darn speeches she has to give for this pitiful money, my , my...

June 15, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  5. Joe

Sadly delusional–about God, man, and the relationship between them.
    If her version of "God" really cared about people, she wouldn't be working for the Republican agenda.

June 15, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Jane

Oh, so God is a Democrat? If you really think that how are you any better than Sarah and her kind?

June 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • No One Is Safe

@jane – lighten up, francis... if this man-on-a-stick jesus ever actually existed, he was by far the most famous *liberal* (note the difference between the words "liberal" and "democrat") who ever lived.

where else would he have learned his politics, other than at his father's table...?

June 22, 2011 at 9:37 am |
  6. MikeG

In this time of economic hardships, world instability, natural disasters (earthquakes, tsunamis, tornadoes, etc.), why are the actions of a lunatic so newsworthy?

June 15, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Angie France

Same reason you think your opinion is worthy I guess....

June 15, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • GTA

If you could get video of a different train wreck happening every day, wouldn't you put it on the news?

June 15, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  7. Ron

She wrote this SIX weeks before the baby was "due" yet she knew her pregnancy would be exceptionally comfortable? She knew it would be "rushed along?" No one in their right mind would write something like this before the baby was born. Anything could happen in those last six weeks. No, this was written after Trig was born (to someone else) but before she publicized his birth on April 18th.

June 15, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • tom

shut up

June 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Jane

2nd you Tom. Shut up.

June 15, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • Jane

Oh and Ron, what the flip would you know about being pregnant anyway. Unless you are really Ronette

June 15, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Ron

Actually, I'm Rhonda, and I've had three children. I NEVER would have spoken for God (I'm a Christian), and I NEVER would have written birth announcements before my babies were born. As I said, anything can happen, and it would have felt like jinxing it.

June 15, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • Jane

Just because you NEVER would have done it obviously doesn't mean that she did not.

June 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Jane

I have three children too and I wrote them letters while I was pregnant. They weren't supposed to be from God, just from me. I can easily see how she would do this.

June 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • daniel

You sound like someone who has made their mind up about someone else and don't want their opinion screwed around by facts or another reality that doesn't fit with theirs. Sarah Palin's letter was beautiful. Your beef with her letter smacks of a pathetic, desperate scraping the bottom of your "hate Palin no matter what" barrel of vitriol. Intolerance reeks no matter what sector of society it wafts in from. Yuck!

June 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • Ron

OK Daniel, please show me the facts/proof that Sarah gave birth to Trig. I am open minded. But I've done my research and lacking any proof she was pregnant, I've made up my mind.

June 15, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • belle

Amen Ron! I have done my research too, and this creepy letter is just one of MANY examples of evidence that makes Palin's pregnancy very questionable. Why will no one in the news media touch this story, even when it's well known in Wasilla that Sarah Palin had a tibal ligation years ago, after Piper was born?!?

June 15, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • belle

make that a TUBAL ligation....as in Sarah Palin could not have possibly been pregnant with Trig because her tubes are tied...

June 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Ellenpisa

Ron, you are correct.
      And Sarah Palin is not in her right mind.
      And the part of the letter that suggests the baby was premature (how would Sarah know it would be premature???)when she had not given birth to it???? This part of the letter was redacted from the version in Going Rogue. hmmmmm why is that?

June 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  8. Deity Watching it all

And god speaketh: "Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!
    There is your answer. The ULTIMATE answer. Even god is not perfect, it's true, he said so!
    God also made Adam and Eve in His image, and Trig, so he has Down's too?
    Who gave Trig that extra chromosome? The almighty creator? Because... he wanted Trig that way (for the extra challenge?) or he simply couldn't do anything about it? Too busy with the mixed up world to care about Trig?

"My ways are not your ways", he says. So don't worry about a little extra challenge. He's just trying to see how he can needle you.
    "You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!"
    Well, well, get on with the worship business then, the BIG guy needs some ego stroking, maybe a few more "challenges" for you, otherwise he won't be a happy camper. He might just send us some more tornadoes or floods to straighten us out, or a few more doomsday dates. Take your pick.
    BTW, this is not about you, Trig. It's about this fuzzy big guy and the fatlipped hockey mom who is busy traveling, giving speeches for $$$, while taking mommy time away from you, little guy.

June 15, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • UrAnIdiot

You're an idiot with flawed logic. We have imperfections because of Adam & Eve's sin. With their free-will choice to disobey God, they wrought sin upon this world. From there we have death, decay, and mutations. That in no way imparts imperfection upon God. In fact, He was so perfect in His creation – free will allowed us to deny and rebel against Him. If He was not perfect in allowing free will, we'd be nothing more than puppets with strings controlling us. But that's far from the truth, isn't it. You make your own choices every day and you live according to them. Don't mock those whose faith is different than yours, simply because you're ignorant of what a relationship with God is all about. Your heart is hardened against the One who brought life into your being. Tell us oh wise one – how is it that you are capable of having thoughts, feelings, emotions, innate senses – those are not biological evolving capabilities – it's a spirit within that you cannot comprehend...give yourself and the rest of us a break from your malnourished soul soundbites.

June 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Stevie7

"how is it that you are capable of having thoughts, feelings, emotions, innate senses – those are not biological evolving capabilities"

Just because we cannot exactly explain how the massively parallel processing that occurs in the brain brings about consciousness, that doesn't mean that a spirit must be involved. That's the same faulty reasoning that's been used by people since the dawn of reasoning – "I can't explain it, so god must have done it". It didn't work for explaining how the sun rose and set each day, and it doesn't fly here either. It's a cop out.

And evolution is a great place to look to see how evolving brains can bring about greater awareness, as we see self-awareness in varying degrees in other animals.

June 15, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • David in Cincinnati

Don't forget, You'reAnIdiot, that God selects the most puppet-like to spend eternity with Himself. It's a Heavenly form of evolution.

June 15, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • Science has flaws too...

On the other hand – just because you don't "believe" in an intelligent designer for all of creation doesn't mean He doesn't exist. It goes both ways. You can't disprove God, but there is fairly intelligent reasoning to suggest that He does exist. Faith is built upon experiences and the many "miracles" that people experience go unexplained by science – so why denounce the possibility, when you don't have the ability to prove otherwise? How many scientific theories by man, that have been considered "reliable" and taught to be uncontested facts in textbooks, have only been revealed to have major flaws and errors in their calculations ? Quite a few. Yet, we continue to use that flawed research as a basis for explaining the unexplainable. It takes as much faith (if not more) to believe and trust in science, as it does to believe in God.

June 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  9. DQ

From the heart. Media, I have a message for you, Get Over It and leave the Palin's alone. Hello! Why don't you report about the homeless in this great country of ours, about how American manufacturers are opening up their businesses in foreign countries, so they can hire "cheap labor" what happened to putting Americans to work! That is why we have homeless American's on welfare & food stamps. Bring business back to the US. Report on why we as a nation are supporting the illegals, giving them free healthcare, food stamps, free education, what part of "ILLEGAL" doesn't the government get! Something is broke and it isn't Sarah Palin. Leave her alone and report on something that really needs America's attention.

June 15, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • RSH

They do Dairy Queen...

You are a palin lover and yet you know what a joke she is.

June 15, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • ScottK

But what if she is the answer to "putting Americans to work!" I mean if she can see Russia from her house as President she might decide to rebuild the land bridge from Alaska and send us all accross the border and down into China to find work...

June 15, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • MrsFizzy

I didn't get that DQ is a "palin lover", just that they are sick of hearing about her!! AS AM I. I am not convinced that she wrote this all by herself, either, but whatever. I wonder if it means she is trying to throw out some more "warm fuzzies" before she announces her run ...

June 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  10. Al

Forget the issue of narcissism, ego, and the infantile need for religion to explain complex life situations.

There is no way the moron from Wasilla wrote this. It may loosely correspond to her way of thinking, but I would gather that all of her other e-mails are full of typos, grammatical mistakes, and simpleton language.

"And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today."

"in some diagnostic ways"? Have any of you ever heard this blithering idiot speak that way? She cannot speak past a third grade level.

June 15, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • Angie France

Just who are you to talk about someone? Do you know her personally? Do you have nothing better to do. That's what liberals do best, call names and act like six year olds on a playground. Grow up.

June 15, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • MrsFizzy

She talks like that all the time, of course I have had the misfortune to hear it, you can't help it. And did "God" explain the shortened life expectancy for someone with DS as a positive too?

June 15, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • V in Chicago

@ Angie France – we don't need to know her personally. We see all we need to know when she pimps herself and her children in front of the world to gain more attention for herself. Palin DID NOT write this e-mail. She is not capable of writing so well, as her speech has show us time and time again. Sorry to disapoint you, but she is dumber than a stump other then being a media w*&re!

June 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • MrsFizzy

My thoughts exactly, V, no way she wrote this herself.

June 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • dr watson

But she does write about the grocery "isle".

June 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  11. Ralph in Orange Park, FL

Sounds like classic paranoia to me.

June 15, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  12. russ139

I'm no fan of Palin, but I'll give her a "pass" on this one. Conceiving a child that is handicapped is every parent's worst fear. Ms. Palin no doubt has a Mother's love for all her children, of which they reciprocate. One cannot fault her for dealing with the emotions of giving birth to, and becoming a parent of, a Down Syndrome child. Frankly, her words are touching, because they are sincere. Never the less, the length to which she goes on, in this email, suggest a defensive posture... something she has shown in the public arena.

June 15, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Ellenpisa

She does not deserve a "pass". She is a sociopath. She did not give birth to this baby. Research it. Damn, all you need to do is look at the pictures of her taken in March 08, and then in April 08!

June 15, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • kj

R U kidding? That letter was blasphemous!

"You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name."

Not only that, speaking as God, Sarah Palin wrote: "I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up!"

She must have skipped catechism back when she was a kid and still baptized a a Catholic, because any good Catholic kid knows God didn't write "the good book" (assuming she means the Bible – often one really doesn't know what she means). Men did. And in some cases nowadays it's understood men with differing points of view and opinions wrote their version of beliefs and events for inclusion in what we now call the Bible.

June 15, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
  13. Ronald

Again....who cares what this woman says? Let her fade into obscurity where she belongs.

June 15, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • V in Chicago

I'll give a big "AMEN" to that!

June 15, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  14. GOD

She misquoted me...

June 15, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • JPX

Hysterical!

June 15, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • Deity Watching it all

and she misoverestimated what I can do or not do with chromosomes. dog

June 15, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • irongoat81

HAHAHHA!!!

June 15, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • CKM

I hate the over-used phrase "LOL", but I literally LOL'ed at your comment. HIlarious!

June 15, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • RSH

LOL!!!

June 15, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • V in Chicago

Sorry God! We can't get rid of her either . . .

June 15, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • GTA

Gotcha!

June 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • minimoo

People who use "you" to defend their position on almost anything usually do.

June 15, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  15. Ed

It proves she is a wack job now.

June 15, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • V in Chicago

There were doubts before?

June 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  16. MJ

So, Sara's God will stricken a child with Down Syndrome so that SARA can see how blessed SARA is......Really? Interesting that according to the (far right Christian). Everything that happens in their life that affects them in any way is about them! Everything that happens is a test or a blessing for THEM! Me! Me! Me! Isn't Jesus about We,We,We or Them, Them,Them? It would never cross her mind that maybe Sara could be the blessing in her son's life... Everything happens for a reason and the reason is you??

June 15, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • RUs

Can you read? Her first name is "Sarah". Your understanding of what was written in the email is at the same level as your spelling of her name. Thanks for proving my point about goldfish, by the way.

June 15, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • Joe D

How arrogant do you have to be to think in any way that you could possible see anything from God's perspective! If she was the President of the United States, everything that happened in the world would be God testing her. Can you say Psychopath? This is the best reason yet to keep her out of any position of power.

June 15, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Sara C.

@Rus, you do realize that Sarah and Sara are both actually correct spellings. You do realize that that would not technically be a misspelling right?

June 15, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • me

I couldn't agree with you more! It really is all about her, isn't it?

June 15, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • MJ

@RUs...You do realize that you are an idiot...Right?

June 15, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • CNN

"I only want the best for you" What about "I only want the best for Trig" Looking inward never outward.

June 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Broody

Poor Trig.

June 15, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • MrsFizzy

100% Correct!!!!!!!!!!!! Gandhi's quote about Christ and the Christians comes to mind again...

June 15, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • Moose Knuckle

MJ, Do you have a crush on Ms. Palin? Did she reject you? Do you feel warm and tingly all over when you see her? Do you get all foamy when you look at her? Do you have a unquenchable thirst in your nether regions? Do you have an itch, only she can scratch?

June 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  17. meccano

I am making a note in my calendar – "Today I defended Sarah Palin."

I would vote for my dog before I would vote for this woman but c'mon! Good grief, of all the things to give this woman a hard time about.

Look, the whole "seeing it from God's perspective" isn't entirely new or originally, but there certainly isn't anything wrong with it. Became very popular in recent years with that book "Letters from God." Frankly, I think it is a healthy and positive way of dealing with the challenges her son was born with. I don't think she is standing in for God, has a God complex or anything of the kind (because of this email anyway).

June 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • Snoozie

I agree. I am a real Palin-hater, believe me, but I found this kind of sweet, and I have to say I drew a tear or 2 reading it. You know, there is no law that says one can't be discriminating, meaning, hate her for her politics, but allow that she is also human, and not everything about her is bad. WAIT! Was that me who just said that????? Yep, I have to admit it was. . . .

June 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • GTA

Sarah Palin composed a bizarre personal message and sent it to her family using a government email account.

IMO, she has every right to send this type of religious-oriented and highly personal message on her own time and on her own dime. However, for her to forward this type of content using a .gov email account simply demonstrated a severe lack of judgement by a person whose grasp of reality has been shown to be tenuous at best.

June 15, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • MrsFizzy

Sorry, meccano and Snoozie, you guys are just too trusting...

June 15, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  18. wileysee

Wow, Once again CNN has offered up a story on Palin and brought out all the freaks that still think that they must make crazy negative comments on everything Palin does; as if it actually means anything. Good for business, right CNN???

June 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  19. e_a_h

I'm just impressed that she could write that much coherent English.... Seriously, it caught me off guard.

June 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • MrsFizzy

Must have a good editor...

June 15, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  20. Up

How interesting that she knew 8 weeks before her due date that the pregnancy would go so smoothly and comfortably (despite her age, the baby's health status, her history of miscarriages, and the fact that the last 8 weeks are usually the most uncomfortable) and that her child with special needs and a hole in the heart would be healthy.

Doesn't pass the sniff test. C'mon Palin, admit it was all a big hoax.

June 15, 2011 at 1:43 pm |