home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. NoGr8rH8r

If there was a GOD would he create a fallible world? The whole GOD concept is flawed and ridiculous. Humankind must overcome this nonsensical belief! There isn't a GOD.

June 16, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • pflatman

Well, no CAPs, then. Lower-case 'god' will suffice. Especially since this one "true' god is indistinguishable from the others.

June 16, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  2. EdNv

the nanny will be doing most of the caring for this child, come on of course she is optimistic. interesting she blames the 'creation' of Trig on God and not her or her husband.

June 16, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  3. JonnyP

I think the guy who wrote Obama's book for him wrote the email for Sarah.

June 16, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  4. NoGr8rH8r

Sarah Palin is Pathetic

June 16, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
  5. lencho

She is a shame of the Nation...

June 16, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  6. Chris

America, she's all yours thank goodness.

June 16, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • Stephen

We're very happy to have her, thank you!

June 16, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • COlady

@ Stephen – speak for yourself only, please. Drop the 'we'.

June 16, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  7. james

**********1/4 of the emails were redacted (removed) by gov't.
    Those are the only ones of interest.
    Never gonna see 'em.
    The rest is a snooze.
    She's not that bright so what do you expect?

June 16, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  8. justin

Only one word that describes Palin... "CRAZY"

June 16, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  9. AC

She is sick, sick, sick...Well, soon we will have new discovery of the century: "Gospel of Sarah P."

June 16, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  10. Drew Williams

The Wal-Mart crowd that hangs upon her every poorly constructed phrase will eat this drivel up with a big, "Ahhhhhhhh." Those of us who live in the real world will exclaim, "Look, she found yet ANOTHER way to pimp-out one of her kids, the phony."

June 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • Artist

Oh you know she will be playing her kid card. Majoority of the masses are ignorant/superst i tious, she will play the tune perfectly. I think the believers we see on this forum tend to be a hair smarter because they can actually operate a computer. When you think of ignorance why does the South/redneck/Bible Belt come to mind lol. Because THEEEEEY ISSSS DUMMMB

June 16, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • Drew Williams

Some, but not all. I've got friends and family in Southern states, friendly, decent folks, who see right through Ms. Palin. No, it's not the area of the country as much as it is the mindset of certain self-interested people.

June 16, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  11. chris

If only she felt that way about children who are born gay...

June 16, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • justin

Children born gay? Really dude? Why would anybody be born gay? It makes know since for people to be born gay. Is there a gay gene in the human body that makes them gay when born? No. Gay people just need excuses to be gay. Its an ignorant and false concept that humans are born gay.

June 16, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  12. April

Wonderfully Written! No matter your opinion of her, this e-mail was a great way to share with herself & family that Trig is perfect no matter what challenges may lie ahead for them as a family. I am not going to go out & vote for her yet I understand why she wrote the letter.

June 16, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • JennWo

April, I firmly agree with your comment. Although not a supporter of Palin (or her policies), I thought this email was an interesting and thoughtful way of sharing her feelings with family and friends.

June 16, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  13. Orion Satori

People claiming to speak for god make very dangerous leaders. This is just one of many examples of her claiming to know god's will. I'm also a little frightened of someone who thinks there's a god out there purposefully creating people with genetic diseases and birth defects. There are some really screwed up, horribly painful and or stressful diseases and disorders out there, and I find it unsettling that a possible presidential candidate is worshiping this disturbing idea of god.

June 16, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
  14. James Black

why her?

June 16, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
  15. Marie Kidman

June 16, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  16. James Black

lol

June 16, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
  17. krazygrrl9

She should be ashamed of the way she uses her children. And... she needs to fess up that Trig is only hers by proxy.

June 16, 2011 at 11:58 am |
  18. Bob

Boy...I must say one thing and that as a Canadian.....we maybe the laughing stock of the world at times...thought to be backwards, and unfortunalty have idiots who ruin the Stanley Cup ( way to go Boston ) but if you make Palin a President, then we as Canadians hand our crown to you America....God Bless...( that last part was sarcastic, religion has no place in society anymore )....

June 16, 2011 at 11:17 am |
    • Bob

To add to my last comment when I said "way to go Boston" I was congratulating them on their win...they played a hell of a series and deserved it, it may sound like I am blaming them for the riots in Vancouver but I wasn't ....

June 16, 2011 at 11:53 am |
    • Balls McGhee

She is such a hypocrit! its okay to be different and imperfect according to God (Palin), yet she trash talks Obama for not being perfect and different! What a complete moron...

June 16, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • Artist

I agree, we will shamefully take the crown

June 16, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • Stephen

Go back to being the laighingstock. Stick with what you're good at!

June 16, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • COlady

Bob, believe me, if she somehow manages to steal the election (because that's the ONLY way she's getting in the White House) there will be many of us who plan on moving up there with you! And pay no mind to Stephen, he definitely is a member of the Teabagger minority we seem to be having a little bit of trouble with right now.

June 16, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  19. Reality

Most politicians as do 85% of the global population suffer from the Three B Syndrome i.e. being Bred, Born and Brainwashed in their religion. In Palin's case, it is a blend of the RCC and the Assemblies of God church, the nation's largest Pentecostal denomination. Said Syndrome is curable.

The cure:

From that famous passage: In 1 Corinthians 15 St. Paul reasoned, "If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith."

To wit;

From a major Catholic university's theology professor’s grad school white-board notes:

Jesus and Mary's bodies are therefore not in Heaven.

Only Luke's Gospel records it. The Assumption ties Jesus' mission to Pentecost and missionary activity of Jesus' followers The Assumption has multiple layers of symbolism, some are related to Mary's special role as "Christ bearer" (theotokos). It does not seem fitting that Mary, the body of Jesus' Virgin-Mother (another biblically based symbol found in Luke 1) would be derived by worms upon her death. Mary's assumption also shows God's positive regard, not only for Christ's male body, but also for female bodies." "

With respect to rising from the dead, we also have this account:

o An added note: As per R.B. Stewart in his introduction to the recent book, The Resurrection of Jesus, Crossan and Wright in Dialogue,

o p.4

o "Reimarus (1774-1778) posits that Jesus became sidetracked by embracing a political position, sought to force God's hand and that he died alone deserted by his disciples. What began as a call for repentance ended up as a misguided attempt to usher in the earthly political kingdom of God. After Jesus' failure and death, his disciples stole his body and declared his resurrection in order to maintain their financial security and ensure themselves some standing."

o p.168. by Ted Peters:

Even so, asking historical questions is our responsibility. Did Jesus really rise from the tomb? Is it necessary to have been raised from the tomb and to appear to his disciples in order to explain the rise of early church and the transcription of the bible? Crossan answers no, Wright answers, yes. "

o So where are the bones"? As per Professor Crossan's analyses in his many books, the body of Jesus would have ended up in the mass graves of the crucified, eaten by wild dogs, with lime in a shallow grave, or under a pile of stones.

June 16, 2011 at 10:44 am |
    • Artist

Jesus F ing christ...between you and Muneef...rolling eyes

June 16, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • Reality

Artist,

Apparently, you are not acclimated to the educational tools such as reiteration. How about some good old bible th-umping?

June 16, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  20. jimtanker

This was way to well written to be from her. I'm sure that it's just one of those forwards that is always going around.

A down syndrome baby may bring some joy to the lives of the family but it is also a huge burdon and will most likely never be a productive member of society.

June 16, 2011 at 10:24 am |
    • Reality

So we should eliminate all those who you have judged to be unproductive members of society?

June 16, 2011 at 10:47 am |
    • jimtanker

I wish.

June 16, 2011 at 10:56 am |
    • OMG!

So, Jim......if you fail to further respond on this thread, can we assume your wish was granted?

June 16, 2011 at 1:24 pm |