home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. allen

My son Justin was also born handicap ;he has cerebal palsy. Any parent with a special needs child can relate to this letter and what she was trying to accomplish with it. The best way to describe it would be this. It is hard so hard when you have a special needs child but it is never a burden. While there are many trials, life seems to be lived so much fuller. We from the time we are born set goals and have dreams of making a difference. We often say that if we have made a differance in one persons life then we have been successful. Justin as well as I'm sure her son never set those goals yet they change and affect everyone they will ever meet in ways that most will never understand. There joy becomes yours and the simplicity of there views on life makes us envious. They make us want to be better versions of ourselfs. They make us stronger and more determined. I am a better person thanks to my son and would guess that she feels the same way. We are not to be felt sorry for. I would argue if anything we are to be envied. When I see my son I see inocence, love, passion, and true uncontaminated happiness. He doesn't try to hurt you, steal from you or decieve you. He is the closest thing to perfection that I will ever experiance in my life. That letter is strength. That letter is love. That letter is belief. Thank you

June 16, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  2. JR

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah, you inglorious Bimbette! When are you going to face reality and understand that the majority of the people do not want you even for a pet!

June 16, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  3. Jim

I wonder what the letter from God says to the women who have difficult pregnancies....."I wanted you to suffer because...well let's just say it's My will and leave it at that"

June 16, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  4. phowardtx

That guy in the background must've just shaved his vacation goatee.

June 16, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  5. Mike in Green Bay

I am someone who doesn't believe in God - and I am a person who really does not like Sarah Palin.

But accepting a child into your life with Down's Syndrome is a gift and a challenge. I think the e-mail is a way of outlining the search each parent goes through as their child is about to be born. Fear about your own parenting skils especially with a special needs child, concern about how others will perceive the child especially when you might be outside of the time some would expect you to have a child, and the hope that the child is simply happy.

I don't think of it as pretentious or arrogant - simply the thoughts of a concerned parent written down in an e-mail and looking for support.

Again I'm not one to cheer for kooky Sarah - but in this case I don't fault her.

June 16, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • Christina

I agree. Very nicely put.

June 16, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • Newo

thank you for being reasonable.

June 16, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  6. Charlie in Maine

The right wing Christians should have their say.
    But now they’re gonna have too much sway.
    Just whose rights would Jesus take away?
    We got the red state blues.

We got the red state blues.
    The church and state they’re fixin to fuse
    I don’t know who has the most to lose
    We got the red state blues.

June 16, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  7. GG

Palin channels the voice of god? Can it get any worse? Seriously.

June 16, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  8. hshylp

Weird! – To write something in someone else's voice/thoughts, especially the "heavenly father's" voice, no less! How presumptuous! – Hear voices much? – She's Crazy!

June 16, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • mb2010a

Kinda like the people who wrote the Bible...all made up stories.

June 16, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  9. Hawkeye1012

Dear Sarah.

BOR-ING!

Signed, the Lord God

June 16, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  10. Esteban

God email: TL;DR

June 16, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
  11. agentgirl

She is one crazy lady. First of all a "god" would not call his creations Earthlings, that is what an alien species would say. Second the fact that she thinks she channels "god" is disturbing. Finally she doesn't mention the different colors and genders when she talks abouts perfection. She is a loon.

June 16, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
  12. mike p

Fir someone I do not have much respect for as a politician, in fact, I have always thought Palin was dumber than a box of rocks, this note changes my thinking of her. It is well thought out, and well written. I repesct her version and approach to dealing w/ the news of an impending baby w/ challenges, and their mental preparation and dealing w/ the emotions well ahead of the baby's arrival. So when the baby's arrival date came, they were well ready to love and nurture. Life goes on! Nicely done, Sarah!

June 16, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
  13. DI

Pretentious! And simplistic!
    If indeed there is a God, none of us here on earth can come close to knowing what the purpose is of what he/she creates and why! We may accept or choose not to, but to put words or thoughts into his/her being ...? That would be too easy. We could all just choose what's convenient to us and make up stories around it! And play God in the process!
    I DON"T THINK SO !!!!!

June 16, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
  14. CarpeDiem

Touching, but further evidence that Palin cannot separate Church from State (or recall basic history) and why she is unfit for public office. This is just another example of her ignorance and arrogance...using a government email account to pen a letter from God.

June 16, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • mayton

uh. It's a yahoo account. Not a government one.

June 16, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • RG

Yes, she is truly touched.

June 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • jerry

Yahoo is a govt e-mail? I think not.

June 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
  15. guest

the letter just reinforces my belief that Palin is a classic narcissist. the nerve of her to think that she is worthy of writing a letter from G-d. how presumptious to always think that you know G-d's ways. While she says in her letter that G-d creates all sorts of people and they are all how they are supposed to be, she doesn't say that g-d perfectly created people who see the world differently, worship differently, or love differently.

June 16, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  16. NB

That is rather nice!

June 16, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  17. kay

kind of long winded I would say!

June 16, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  18. bjk

If her children are off limits for the media or public to comment on, why was she using her government e'mail to write a fictional story about her child? This woman is nothing but publicity hungary.

June 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • mayton

its a yahoo account, not a government one. Doesn't anyone read???

June 16, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • ohgran

It was a Monday afternoon! Was she at home or in her gov. office? She is so-o-o-o full of herself to write something like this and sign it "Your Heavenly Father". What a drama queen to publicize her son this way.

June 16, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  19. street smart

I think its a nice touch for her to take the stance on how God would look on the whole thing. I wonder how God felt when Palin lied about the provisions of the govt health care bill that would heal the sick, healing the sick is what Christ did. Or how she incited a crowd at a McCain/Palin rally, getting them to yell "Kill Obama" while she smiled and nodded as they did. Or how she refused to remove the sniper scopes on Dem districts and can the Lock & Load rhetoric at Congress womans Giffords request because it promotes violence. The sheeple that follow Palin cant provide any reasons as to why they think Palin is so humane, they just think it because thats what she tells them to do.........as she laughs all the way to the bank with THEIR money. Pathetic

June 16, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  20. JonnyP

Stop talking about my girlfriend. I love her!

June 16, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • ohgran

And she loves herself too!

June 16, 2011 at 3:11 pm |