home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. kynchiiin

I wonder how much she paid a speech writer to come up with that...

June 16, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  2. Pops

I made the mistake of reading this soon after eating. Made me wanna puke. Read it again later, this time on an empty stomach. Still made me wanna puke.

June 16, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  3. James Black

]

June 16, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  4. indymom810

It's just a direct ripoff of Dale Evans' Roger's book Angel Unaware, written from the perspective of hers and Roy Roger's daughter who had Downs' Syndrome, and died at the age of 2. Angel Unaware is one of my favorite books. It is beautifully written - and almost shorter than that email. Palin is certainly not original in her thoughts.

June 16, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
  5. When Worlds Collide

"For Lo, I bring you tidings of great joy!"

I don't believe for a second that Mrs. Palin wrote this. She may have put some convoluted thought on paper (or her hand) but there was certainly an editor involved. She just doesn't use language this way. Oh yes, that's right, this is someone with a book authored by a ghost writer. I wonder what a letter from God cost.

June 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  6. Greg

Wow, God made quite a few grammatical errors.

June 16, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • DB

Comon now! lol, you know that ain't fair. He spoke in old english.

June 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  7. Peter

Countless others have written words purporting to come from the mouth of God, why shouldn't Sarah Palin?

June 16, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • DB

Really! You're putting her in the same category of the apostles who wrote the bible, or the Pope. Wooow!

June 16, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  8. Karen from Ohio

Wow! My sister's oldest daughter was born with downs'. We said, oh, ok. When her second daughter was born with downs', we said ok. It didn't take a three page letter from God to press the family to accept our her children. Obviously she was worried about being ashamed of her own child! She wasn't only preparing her family, she was preparing herself; because if you truly love the child you are carying, the thought of explaining his condition doesn't cross your mind. And, unless your family is as shallow as you are, a letter wouldn't have been necessary.

June 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  9. cameron2k

I think this is a very touching and human way for her to deal with this. I've never really liked Palin, but this disclosed letter makes her feel more human, and showcases her dealing with one of the most emotional episodes of her life. This is her way of talking about the elephant in the room, as well as bring acceptance to anyone having a level of uncomfortableness with a Downs syndrome baby.
    I still wouldnt vote for her

June 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
  10. Dan

What a shallow article! Was the idea to show you could get in Sarah Palins head or was it your personal advertizing? How dare you compare someone else s religious beliefs to your own. Didn't it ever occur to you that someone else views their God differently than you view yours? By the way were you responsible for the United Methodist add on the right side of the story page?

June 16, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  11. Ilene Holt

If Sarah Palin really believed in God and in God's creations all being equal, she would not be against gay marriage and the rights of all humans to be equal. I guess she has not looked far enough down those isles that she speaks of in her email.

June 16, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • kynchiiin

BRILLIANT reply!

June 16, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • Fox

Hey, everyone has gotta draw the line somewhere. Lots of murderers, pedos, and freaks out there.

June 16, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
  12. Stuck@Work

Actually Killahippie: Humans were designed to be herbivores not animal eating carnivores. So to clarify...God or whomever, DID NOT put animals on this planet inorder for us to EAT. Although, i do enjoy a nice piece of steak here and there....

June 16, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  13. Matt

What a looney.

June 16, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  14. DB

I know she meant well, and like she said before that her email weren't meant for public consumption. But this gives me some insight that she feels she can speak for God. Sorry, but that is Blasphemy. Who does this?????!!!!!!

June 16, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  15. whisp

I'm not a fan of Sarah Palin but that email moved me to tears. Perhaps I do not know her as I think I did. I may not agree with her politics, but an email like that, on some level must have come from a thoughtful and intelligent person. I doubt I could put such thoughts on paper – I've never had the good fortune of being an articulate writer or speaker. I've learned from this not to judge so harshly.

June 16, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • Matt

I hope you are joking, or I honestly do not understand where some of you people come from. Moved you to tears? That is hilarious. You doubt that you could put such thoughts to paper? Be glad then, because those thoughts are borderline psychopathic. Read a book.

June 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  16. Stuck@Work

Dear God:

There is an "earthling" that goes by the name sarah palin. She insists on speaking on your behalf and signing your name. In my book that is called fraud. I do not believe in giving all my money to the rich, as the word of god says to help those in need. Please allow her to find the light (bulb) and get out of the political seen. She's a fraud in every way possible.

Yours Truly:

A fellow Earthling.

June 16, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  17. Whitney

I think this was a wonderful idea! I support Sarah Palin in politics and this letter! It is her own unique way of dealing with a special needs child. I do believe the way she wrote it our was lovely. I believe that if God were to wrote a letter to her family it would have sounded very similar to that. There are so many challenges that come with special needs children, I think that was just her way of breaking the ice and letting her family know everything is going to be ok. Kuddos to Sarah! =)

June 16, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • mb2010a

Trust me...Sarah didn't write it.

June 16, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  18. DB

Ummm, Christians????? Wouldn't this be considered Blasphemy!!!! Who anointed her? She kills God's animals...

June 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • killallhippies

your a fricking hippie, God put animals here for us to use, kill and eat. some are ment to use for love and offection some are ment to be used to fill our stommac. as for her, who cares what her emails to her family members said, how is this even news. i hate how dumb things like this get so much attention

June 16, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • DB

Okay killallhippies, I admit I am a vegan. Seems to work for me. And you can believe if animals are put here for us to kill and eat... I don't think so. We kill them for clothes now, but first generations were naked, go figure...

June 16, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  19. Ruth

It's probably the wisest thing I've heard from her - within the context of the people who make up her family and friends, I think it's an effective, touching way to set a course on how to proceed lovingly and protectively once you know your child has challenges. Great way to frame it. I'm an Obama-volunteer, liberal Democrat, separation of church and state, Jewish mom, master's degree in counseling-holder who's worked with Special Olympics athletes and other special needs kids. My own child had some difficulties when he was younger, and I had to remind people how to treat him with the love and respect he deserved. Parents MUST speak up in that situation...and heck, if you speak up as God, you get people's full attention, no? I'm OK with Sarah on this one. A creative solution.

June 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  20. Neil

Only a special human being could write something like that.

June 16, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • Megan

Neil, you forgot the quotes around the word "special."

June 16, 2011 at 4:52 pm |