home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Bailey

It's more than likely that Trig being born with Down Syndrome had to do with Palin's age than anything else. Women nearing menopause have a significantly higher rate of children born with developmental disorders. In other words, her eggs were souring and she created a faulty baby. Now that sounds harsh, I'm sure Trig will grow up and being that her family is famous have a lovely life. People with Down Syndrome if given proper care can be just as intelligent as the majority of human beings. He is not perfect nor is he abnormal but he certainly isn't prime in the sense that given the choice I think anyone would choose for their child to not have to overcome such a burden.

June 16, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
    • Jon

People probably wouldn't choose to give birth to a lowlife mean-spirited creep such as yourself either.

June 16, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • libssuk

And did your mother have any "normal" children?

June 16, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
  2. Jon

My take is, what right does everyone have to go through this woman's emails? The media should do a FIFA of the emails of every politician.

June 16, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
  3. Katherine

I am an atheist, a democrat, and anything but a Sarah Palin fan. However, I find it very admirable how embracing and optimistic she is about having a special needs child. There is a lot of criticism about this email being "sent from God" but I think it's important to realize this was written to her family. Who are we to judge how she chose to express her feelings?

I consider myself very socially liberal, mainly because I sympathize with others despite our differences. I have noticed more and more hate everyday coming from the liberal side and it's sickening. The presence of mean-spirited conservatives (especially very outspoken ones like Rush Limbaugh) are a poor justification for this "well he started it!" behavior. It hurts our party and it's embarrassing. Who cares if you stand up for the single, low-income woman's right to have an abortion if you are bashing a person for writing an emotional, heartfelt email to her family? What is the purpose of fighting for the various religious and personal rights of our citizens if we are so critical of someone who is expressing their faith just because we do not like her politics?

June 16, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  4. Brandon

This is a bunch of BS..If god sent emails, everyone would have a story to tell. If you need attention Palin jus go stand in front of your mirror. Your unbelievabale! Refering to the HOLY BIBLE as tha GOOD BOOK was a dead give away. God himself would not think of the HOLY BIBLE as jus tha GOOD BOOK but whoever you paid for this e-mail is pretty good but not good enough to match GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 16, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • stargazer

She was never asking for attention when they pulled all these E-Mails and started reading through them. If you want to blame someone for it might want to blame the Media for their crusade into Palin's life of e-mails!

June 16, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
  5. James Black

June 16, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  6. sam

where's da proof
    cos i don't believe any of this

June 16, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  7. Craig H

I don't believe in God. I don't believe in religion. I don't believe there are people bashing Palin because she does. That's about as un-American as you can get. This country was founded on the idea of religious freedom. This is a personal email to friends and family, not a flyer damning non-believers. As long as you're not shoving the Bible down my throat, live your life and find your strength wherever you can.

June 16, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  8. Sy2502

Just one more piece of evidence that religion is a mental illness.

June 16, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • Sam

Explaining religion as a mental illness relies on your belief in science. Like religion, science is based on belief. What does a chromosome actually look like? have you seen one? And I'm not talking about some mocked illustration in a textbook. Athieist or not, respect religion for its purpose, like you respect science for its (perceived) value.

June 16, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
    • RomFox

Sam – it is a relatively straightforward thing to see a chromosome under a microscope. Electronmicroscopy can reveal things that are much smaller. The tests which determine that a child in utero has Down's syndrome are based on the observation of the chromosome (in fact the condition is known as G trisomy from its chromosomal manifestation.

Your overall tone that science is nothing but unfounded belief is staggering in its ignorance and heartrending in its common occurence in certain sections of the populace of this country.

June 16, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
    • ibivibiv

I bet you buy into that stupid Albert Einstein email too don't you? The one where he beats his science, no wait now he's a philosophy professor in a battle of wits about God? Please. Science for the last time is NOT about belief. Science is about hypothesis and then finding facts to prove or disprove that hypothesis. Religion stopped 1000's of years ago at hypothesis and has just used conjecture ever since to try to cover it up.

June 16, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
    • den

Most "Religion" is man made and only for the weak minded who don't have a real relationship with God and his Son, Jesus Christ. "James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. " Real Christianity is not "Religion", it is a relationship, but I don't expect you to understand.

June 16, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • ibivibiv

You're right I don't understand having relationships with your imaginary friend as an adult. Most people get locked up in a padded room for less than what passes as "ok" when it gets the 'god' label attached. You are also quoting the bible that means you practice religion. You should have just stuck to saying how great you and your imaginary friend's relationship was. Honestly I can't wait til the lot of you finish the last of your kool-aid or float up into the clouds or whatever that latest thing is. Then the rest of us can move on.

June 16, 2011 at 9:39 pm |
  9. eric

Crazy!
    She is completely crazy.

June 16, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
  10. FU

This schizophrenic email is even more worrisome considering Trig is Bristol's child...

June 16, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • libssuk

What a stupid tool. Stop watching Joy Behar, please!

June 16, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • Nah ah

Celebrity gossip fail. Bristol's son is "Tripp."

June 16, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  11. Castro

Wow... apparently God doesn't think an extra chromosome is a mistake... rather, it's a gift. Hooray for lack of science!

June 16, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Sam

Science is also a belief system. Lets remember that. It's important to respect each others beliefs.

June 16, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • Kris

If science is too hard try religion....one of my favorite sayings

June 16, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  12. orbiter dictum

Passing overhead each 90 minutes offering commentary on the day's news . . .

Go Sarah - Beat Romney!

June 16, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  13. Brian

Sarah:

That is from the heart; I felt it!! Very nice.

June 16, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  14. Roxanne

Sarah Palin seriously seems like a wonderful mother, but this should in no way affect your vote. She still lacks the knowledge and dedication to be a serious political figure.

June 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  15. libssuk

Why do libtards bash Palin for a harmless email written to her family and then defend a sick libtard like Weiner. What screwed up people libtards are.

June 16, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • TexasTarotReader

@libssuk, maybe it is because of haters like you who think using a vile term like "tard" is okay. This shows a lot about your personal ethics. Hopefully it doesn't reflect those of your party.

June 16, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
    • zrock

I'm sure your precious Palin appreciates your use of the term "tard" you idiot.

June 16, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  16. Linda

As much as I don't like Sarah Palin, I really think her e-mail to God about little Trig was from the heart. I have a severely autustic son (age 38 now).who the whole family loves dearly. Even though it has been a struggle helping him over the years, we would not trade him for anything.

June 16, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  17. brian

God sure bungles babies. He must screw up at least 1% with Down syndrome, cystic fibrosis, cerebral palsy, and even conjoined twins.

I love how these zealous Christians act like being gay is a "choice" because "god wouldn't make mistakes." Yet clearly he does.

Oh wait, Down syndrome is part of his plan...

or something...

man religion is dumb.

June 16, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Brian

Take all your buddies on an island for the next 100 years; see ya.

June 16, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • KJ

Brian, I am a huge believer in science and religion of the christian base. Neither one can be explained without the other. I feel like your ability to blame the entire believing bass on a few of those who have radical views, shows your inability of understanding and tolerance. God does not make mistakes, he throws curve-balls, that we fail to see coming.

June 16, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • Who's Dumb Brian?

If you think that religion is dumb why in God's Green Earth would you read an article that has our Lord's name in it. How hypocritical. God doesn't make mistakes, all people do. None of us are perfect, hence your comment and belief. If you stop to smell the flowers, stop to smell the freshness of falling snow or the sounds of the waves hitting the shores then Thank God, because without him you wouldn't be able to see, or hear or smell. So don't say that religion is dumb, enjoy your own mind and beliefs as we all do who worship him and Thank him everyday for anything and everything that he has given us.

June 16, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • Sam

Both are integral to our current condition

June 16, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • santosaint

Religion is something people scorned like to attack because it's attackable. Faith is much different. I will not defend either. What I will explain is this...I really feel that I was born gay but never wanted to be gay. My mind is full of desire to be gay but my heart has no desire to be gay. Which do I listen to? This is where I really on my faith. Faith is something that is individual. Religion is something that you believe in with others. Hope this helps you.

June 16, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  18. zrock

Don't make me defend Sarah Palin. Her e-mail (while – I think – was in poor taste even as an atheist) was a private e-mail from a private account to her friends and family. It was surprisingly well written for someone I've never seen string together a full sentence successfully and frankly WHO THE HELL CARES?!?!?!

June 16, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  19. alumette

She is demented and delusional. She thinks she is God's favorite human. What an idiot. Only in the US would we be bombarded with this kind of trash.

June 16, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • libssuk

You must be talking about Weiner, if you're talking about trash.

June 16, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  20. steelerguin

I have a teenage daughter with Down Syndrome and much of what Palin has written about joys and challenges is true. Although there are heartaches we have suffered as a family, I wouldn't trade her for the world. It really is a shame how so many ignorant people have belittled Palin for this touching note. Look beyond yourselves and try to see the good in all, especially those with disabilities.

June 16, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • alumette

That would be your connection with Palin. To make any sense, you need to do better than that. There is more to life than raising a Down syndrome child. Look around and keep your mind open.

June 16, 2011 at 5:08 pm |