home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Anne

Palin is damn sick woman! Can someone suggest some good down to earth theraphy for this sick woman!!

June 17, 2011 at 12:22 am |
    • Anonymous

If you consider a woman trying to find a way to cope with her son being autistic and reaching out to friends and family for support "sick", then yes, she is a very sick person. This isn't even taking into account whatever pregnant hormones she was dealing with. Would I have coped this way? Probably not, but it's creative and in line with her beliefs and probably helped her feel more in control of the situation. I'm far from a Palin fan politically and think she sounds like a moron more often than not, but I think criticism is unwarranted in this very personal case.

June 17, 2011 at 12:52 am |
  2. Stranger

A Degree in journalism ha? God sure sounded like a seventh grader.lol
    The world is going crazy. It scares me to think what she'll write about the world from God's view point. If she's normal who isn't?

June 16, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
  3. Tom

Total god damn nutcase. It will be a cold day in hell before sane intelligent Americans lets this sanctimonious loony become President!

June 16, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
  4. Plix

Sarah is a sick, sick, woman.

June 16, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Kenn

...never mind...

June 16, 2011 at 9:14 pm |
  6. brian mcknightName*

So shara you think our president mother thought that her child was a gift also,yet you bashe this man every chance you get,I pray no one ever do those kind of things to your children.I pray this world learns to get along with everyone.

June 16, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  7. Test

Ok, so the email was to help her family to accept the child that would be born to their family... i get it.

Whats next... an email to America from god!

Look... Sara Palin is an American. She wants to do good for her country. It just seems she really enjoys the spotlight. I hope we can all just let her go and forget we even heard her name.

June 16, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  8. carrotsfordinner

This is weird.

June 16, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
  9. mk2

The initial replies and post are mind boggling but really showcase how warped and intolerant the liberal mind actually is.

June 16, 2011 at 7:56 pm |
    • mk3

after all the name calling on your part, i wonder if you actually know what the word tolerance means

June 16, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  10. dowhat?

Lessons from Sarah Palin's e-mail:

1.) Sarah is as egotistical as Rick Perry. Who would ever dare think themselves worthy to deliver a message from God but these two losers?

2.) If those are in fact God's exact words, then God sounds really stupid. He uses Mrs. Palin's accent and tosses around slang like " 'em " because He's too lazy to use the full "them", I guess.

3.) The birth of a baby, especially one born with a disablity, is the perfect time to push a political agenda. Nobody does Pro-Life quite like Sarah.

4.) God only loves babies who are born with issues. He can't stand gay people or anyone else not cool enough to be in Sarah's "It" group.

5.) Sarah Palin picks stupid a$$ names for her kids.

June 16, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
    • mk2

You are a complete idiot and the funny thing is you sound intelligent enough to realize it it even when you were writing the post...I will confirm it just in case.... you are an idiiot.

June 16, 2011 at 7:48 pm |
    • mk3

wait, what was that? something about tolerance?

June 16, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
    • mk2

Mk3 I am not tolerant of liberals, at least i admit it which is more than I can say for you with your hate filled little heart (that never seems to bleed)

June 16, 2011 at 9:57 pm |
    • mk3

"I have seen great intolerance shown in support of tolerance."
      –Samuel Taylor Coleridge

June 17, 2011 at 3:13 am |
    • mk3

"It is thus tolerance that is the source of peace, and intolerance that is the source of disorder and squabbling."
      –Pierre Bayle

June 17, 2011 at 3:14 am |
  11. SD-mouth

You have to be a self serving egotist to believe that God made you write for him. If god id really as good as everybody thinks, why doesn't he (she) write herself?
    Too bizarre from one of the GOP certified weirdoes.
    But, thanks Sarah, you just gave another good reason for separation of church and state. Oh, the wisdom of the Founding Fathers!

June 16, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
    • mk2

Obviously you did not read the entire e-mail and for that you sound foolish and stupid. She explains why she is writing it that way (read the article LOL!) . I like the way so called "tolerant " liberals simply can not tolerate anything with the word God in it. She wrote a peronsla e-mail top HER close friend not yours. Live and let live and stop the hate.

June 16, 2011 at 7:50 pm |
  12. Prochut

It's one thing trying to comfort your family when you find out your child will have Down's Syndrome. That's something I have to actually commend Palin for (wow, there IS a first time for everything). However, it's highly egotistical to write it from God's point of view. If people are unable to know God's ways, how can a person write a letter penned by God? To assume that viewpoint is extremely strange.

June 16, 2011 at 7:20 pm |
    • mk2

She explained why fool.

June 16, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
    • mk3

“If you can't answer a man's arguments, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.”

June 16, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
    • mk2

MK3 you are a riot. Liberals are INFAMOUS for ismply calling names LOL! wow...that was funny at least.

June 16, 2011 at 9:58 pm |
    • mk3

the "no you..." tact is an excellent argument, please, continue with that train of thought

June 17, 2011 at 3:07 am |
  13. YoHo

I would have thought that the creator would have a better writer, this reads as if it was written by someone who did not make it to the 10th grade, not someone who was a college graduate with a degree in journalism.

June 16, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
  14. evilparrot

ummmm, I'm Christian and I find that email super weird and creepy. just, unsettling.

June 16, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • janice

I'm a Christian...I'm rather speechless that some think this is cute or awesome or poignant. Perhaps she didn't know it would be viewed by the whole world.

June 16, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
    • mk2

I find evil parrots creepy. Get over it and put yourself in her shoes. Do you have a baby with down syndrome? Empathy goes a long way...try it sometime.

June 16, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
    • mk3

i find it wholly entertaining that someone who is running around calling people fools and idiots would play the empathy card

June 16, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  15. Fernando

Really? Sarah? An E-Mail from God? Really?

June 16, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • mk2

another hater and idiot. Thanks fernando. read the article next time.

June 16, 2011 at 7:52 pm |
    • ROBIN

I AGREE FERNANDO WHAT A LUNATIC SHE IS...SHE WOULD NOT EVEN SHOW HIS FACE WHEN SHE WAS RUNNING FOR VICE PRES. MAKE HER GONE.......

June 16, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
  16. David

To me her email is just .... weird.

She is simply trying to rationalize her son's disability with her faith in God and to try to focus on the positives as much as possible. Fine – I get that.

But most people don't do this in an email and then send it to a bunch of family members as if it was coming from God. If this was her own private reflection or came about after conversations with clergy and written to only herself as if in a journal, then that is one thing. But telling everyone else through God how she wants them to see her son comes across as overly manipulative and a little arrogant.

I can just imagine her looking in the mirror and "conversing" with God and then telling everyone how they need to act. You are only being given THE BEST!

.... weird.

June 16, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
    • mk2

David it is wierd because its not your faith, just like someone dressing without showing their face in the muslim religion (well not somoene but an oppressed female) might sound wierd to others. The world is made up of different people , why do liberals like you hate so much? why are you so intolerant of what other people believe??

June 16, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
    • mk3

do you presume to know what the faith of sir david is?

why do you hate liberals so much, and please, make your reply with as many fools and idiots as you can.

June 16, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
    • nameless

those who received this email obviously knew it was not an email from god. good lord you people are so blind that you take everything LITERAL (not to be confused with liberal). morons have an imagination! its a cleaver way for an individual to disclose a family issue to those near to her. relax. we get it, you don't like palin. get over yourselves. judgmental liberals man.

June 16, 2011 at 9:30 pm |
  17. sebek

I wonder, with her acknowledgement, that there is no normla, or there is 'no perfect', how come she is so addamantly against LGBT? If, according to her, her 'down syndrome' baby is god's gift, and is normal in God's point of view, then why do we see her hatred and vitriole, when she talks about the same god-created individuals, who are also normal, but in a bit different way?

June 16, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • JJ

I agree. I find it very funny that she uses the exact same argument that the LGBT community uses to defend themselves to defend children with down syndrome. I wonder if she didn't have a relative with down syndrome, would she feel the same way? And if she had an LGBT relative, would she still think they were "created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential?" I like the email, I think it's sweet- but she's already said too much that contradicts what she's written in this message.

June 16, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • ak

The whole idea that shes decided her unborn son will ' always be a mischievous, dependent little brother' is the sickest thing I've heard, but she's a person who lives stereotypes, that's all she can understand.

June 16, 2011 at 11:55 pm |
  18. Jeffision

Creepy and crazy. Visualize a post religious era.

June 16, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • mk2

I would expect a liberal to think its creepy and not sweet and loving. Walk in her shoes or would you have killed the kid before he or she was born?

June 16, 2011 at 7:55 pm |
    • mk3

i wonder, if what makes a liberal is someone who has a viewpoint that opposes your own

June 16, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
  19. James Black

June 16, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
  20. Cee

I admit, the email is touching and I wholeheartedly believe that we should accept everyone just as they are, (including gays, Sarah) but I find it a bit creepy and egotistical that she chose to write it as if she were God. That's kinda weird, isn't it? And seriously, Trig, Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper? Was she on drugs when she named her kids???

June 16, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • ibivibiv

Unfortunately I think she was OFF her drugs when she did that.

June 16, 2011 at 9:48 pm |