home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Steve McGrew

Blasphemy. And so-called "conservative" Christians would vote for this woman?

July 7, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • owlafaye

I thought comments were closed worldwide regarding this whack-head Palin...IGNORE HER

July 10, 2011 at 2:34 am |
  2. Kebnekaise

This is just about the only worthy message I've ever seen Sarah Palin deliver. I think it's very moving, and I'm an atheist! It demonstrates a tolerance that she fails to show in many other aspects of her life.

July 5, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
  3. Christy

Finally, Sarah Palin and I agree.

We both want people to accept and celebrate every child, even those who appear different… and we want them to act right with regard to those children. When she was told by doctors during her pregnancy that her unborn child had Down syndrome, she wrote a letter to her family and friends from God’s perspective.

She seems to have seen quite clearly that her son was not broken, he was made this way intentionally, and she clearly expresses the expectation that he will be celebrated for being exactly who he is. I think this letter was a bold first move in what promises to be a lifetime of advocating for her beloved child.

I wonder how the letter would have read if doctors had instead informed her that her son was gay.

I can’t say that I’ve ever had the impulse or clarity to deliver a written message directly from my Higher Power but the idea of it moved me and I’ve taken the liberty of adapting Palin’s letter (quite minimally, as you can see) to explore the possibility.

Next: An Open Letter to Sarah Palin and America... you can read it here: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/dear-sarah-palin-love-god.html#ixzz1RB64AVFp

July 4, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  4. randy

there is no such thing as god and as soon as america wakes up and sees the light we as mankind can move forward.

July 3, 2011 at 6:07 am |
    • owlafaye

Hear ! Hear !

July 10, 2011 at 2:36 am |
  5. shen

For all those viewing this negatively, you are selfish and pathetic. This is an email sent out to help the family understand and cope with a special needs child. To understand that a child is a child regardless of any challenges down syndrome may bring to the family. A family that understands and stays close together to support and nourish a special needs child is able to provide a much richer experience for everyone. Only those with special needs children will really understand as they seek to get the rest of the family to treat their child the same as others but to also understand and help in certain ways. I wish I had thought of a letter like this when my child was first born.

I can't stand Palin but that email makes her a lot more of a normal human being than I thought possible.

July 2, 2011 at 10:52 am |
  6. JIDAYTECH

SUCH A PATHETIC STORY, A MUST READ BY EVERY...

June 29, 2011 at 7:10 am |
  7. JIDAYTECH

HE WILL NOT ALLOW YOUR FOOT TO BE MOVED... HE IS WITH YOU ALWAYS...! WITH LOVE FROM ALL @ JIDAYTECH

June 29, 2011 at 5:45 am |
  8. rk

Your tax dollars at work...

June 28, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • Artist

Besides greed masked by faith, she is delusional to boot

June 28, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
  9. Mark

I guess we don't need to worry about trying to research and cure Down syndrome, since god causes it intentionally and we can't go against god's will.

June 24, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • TheYouth90

amen.

June 27, 2011 at 11:13 am |
  10. Marie Kidman

"`

June 23, 2011 at 10:48 am |
  11. Kim

This is the first intelligent thing I ever heard Sarah Palin say, and I understand why she put it in God's voice. The things she articulated, I believe, are how God would indeed speak to parents, family members and friends as they awaited the birth of a child some would see as "less than." I'll never vote for Sarah Palin, but I will now view her in a softer light. This is where MY conversion has to come in.

June 22, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • RW

Totally agree...I do not agree with or support Sarah Palin in a Presidential capacity (or too large of a political capacity), but I totally think from these e-mails coming out that she is truly a great human being. Perhaps that's why she wouldn't make a good politician.

June 23, 2011 at 2:25 am |
    • DD

This is exactly the reason why she should not be president! She's a loon. To speak for God is a serious thing. She trivializes it. She stuffs thoughts and words into God's mouth! She didn't think it through, but as usual, 'shot from the hip'. Scary. Biblically, by 'law' she would be stoned for this! Falsely speaking for God was punishable by stoning – that's how serious an offence it is. She is a loon evangelical who does NOT speak for the rest of us.

July 1, 2011 at 7:24 am |
  12. Angry Hillbilly

"he'll want to play goalie"

I've played hockey for about 25 years, most of that as a goalie...I resent the implication that goalies have an extra chromosome. We're not mentally retarded, just special.

June 22, 2011 at 9:53 am |
  13. Ken

They dont have computers in heaven and
    what if sarah palin just got a spam e-mail?

June 21, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
  14. Jim

5th child?!?!?! How is she still allowed to reproduce? This would not be tolerated in China.

June 21, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • Dorie

China long ago got out of control with their population. That is why they are being forced to limit their children. There is no limit here as long as you can take care of the ones you have. But the government is much more into our lives and is trying to contol us on every level. I would not be surprised if they tried to put limits on how many children one can have if Democrats stay in power much longer.

June 22, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • killarys

Jim. Why do you even care how many kids Sarah Palin has anyway?

June 26, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
  15. The Joker

Old joke with a new twist-

What is the difference between God and Sarah Palin?
    God knows that he isn't Sarah Palin.

June 21, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  16. KR

No matter what you think about Sarah Palin, you simply can NOT explain this stable of revolving children. If you are going to try and tell yourself these vast differences in appearance are due to "angles", you are more deluded than can be put into words.

June 20, 2011 at 9:52 pm |
  17. Sheldon Robidoux

CNN,
    "Belief blog"? You can't be serious. I guess that will mean I confine my reading to the BBC.

June 20, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  18. Christi

Believe me, I am no Palin fan. I believe the woman is a train wreck. But this letter is very sweet and human–unlike her public persona. That it comes from "God" makes it more touching. When I read the headline, I assumed this would be an official e-mail. Given her track record, I assumed this was the case. As it concerns a family matter and a very special child, I find it endearing. Again, I am NOT a Palin fan.

June 20, 2011 at 11:07 am |
    • Mat

I agree. I am against everything this train wreck stands for, but I find no issue with this personal email. She obviously loves her child. Now if she would not love herself so much....

June 20, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • Jean Arouet

I fear this jock who can't understand the limits of her competence, but even if I were a supporter I should find it treacly. I loathe the tendency to turn undesired outcomes into "gifts" from some notional Father; what ever happened to "This is bad, but we'll muddle-through best we can."

June 21, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
    • Mike

I totally agree.

June 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • Mike

I am NOT a Palin fan Christi but i totally agree with you on this one.

June 21, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  19. Zach

It's beautiful to see a politician who not only knows God's love but is bold enough to let His ways influence her family life and political life.

June 20, 2011 at 1:24 am |
    • Mat

"God" has no place in politics.

June 20, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • Jean Arouet

If I were to show that sort of "love" to a stranger-force them into an unpleasant and difficult situation, and then try to convince them that they had learned something valuable thereby-I should be thrown into prison.

We're hierarchical primates, so of course we create a notional Top Primate to "run" things (as if they needed it); it's a shame, though, that we can't seem to come up with ones with morals better than our common despots'.

June 21, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • Dorie

Your wrong Matt. God has a presence in everything we do. Without Him. we would not be here.

June 22, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • Charles

Dorie, I feel sad for you.

June 27, 2011 at 10:39 am |
  20. TDS

Wow Thank You Sarah nothing more fun then these libs with their panties in a wad. So many missing the point here, this is America...she has the GOD given right to say whatever she wants. While I do not agree with everything she says or does she's a fellow American and has the religious right on this one. In GOD we Trust! In a crazy liberal rant we do not!

June 19, 2011 at 9:52 pm |
    • gozer

In your (entirely fictional) sky fairy, in the absence of any valid evidence, and with so much contrary evidence to the Christian fables, I do not trust.
      In Sarah Palin I also do not trust, because she is a mere media hound and quitter, and should be considered unqualified to hold public office.
      Trust in either is for stupid, ignorant people.

June 20, 2011 at 9:49 am |
    • Famous

we are talking about the same being here right? take a look at http://www.godandscience.org perhaps that will prove who is stupid or ignorant

i myself am not a christian btw

June 20, 2011 at 10:03 am |
    • whatwasthatyousaidaboutvitiolic

Dear Gozer, You are aware that Mr. Obama and Ms. Clinton each submitted letters of resignation from their Senate seats, right?
      Those would be your top two presidential Democrat leaders if you didn't know that.
      They would be "quitters" according to you and apparently therefore susceptible to the same vitriol with which you treat Ms. Palin, her disgusting Downs' Syndrome baby and stupid & ignorant people who like what she has to say.
      Shall we then share the vitriol against Chelsea, that stupid idiot? and Michelle's 2 stupid idiot daughters?
      I suspect it's no longer quite so funny to you.
      You would do well to remember that...

June 26, 2011 at 5:09 pm |