home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Gladys Kravitz

So, um, where is this baby while Mommy's gallivanting all over the country?? I've yet to see him since her bus took off on it's supposedly non-campaign road trip. Just sayin'...

June 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • Suz

That's true, and a really good point.

June 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • mh

Why do you need to see him? If he were to make it onto TV you would say she is expoliting him. You are a typical hater.

June 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
  2. tommy

You guys need to get a life and find a real story to print. Perhaps you should consider getting back to journalism.

June 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  3. pat

June 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  4. God

Dear Sarah,
    You don't know me. We've never met. Stop putting words in my mouth or I'll make you say nonsense about Paul Revere.

June 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  5. MWB

No one and I mean NO ONE despises Sarah Palin more than I do. However, she gets a pass from me on this.

June 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • LL

I completely agree. I don't care for her one bit; but I totally get this. I think this is the first time I've understood her.

June 15, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  6. Master

The comments here prove that Palin haters are comletely out of their flippn' minds.

June 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • SCOTO

No . It doesn't

June 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • Loren

Yes, it does. This is akin to Kathy Griffin flipping out on Bristol Palin. Fine, if you don't like Sarah Palin, but this email was about informing her friends about the child they were expecting and preparing them for one of life's little mysteries. You may not like her, but nothing in this email can be held against her, unless you yourself are suffering from severe mental disability. I don't think that Sarah Palin has the capacity to serve as President, but I also don't think that attacking her for everything that she says and does is appropriate. Let's try to raise the level of discourse in this country and get back to the task at hand, recovering from the past twenty years of governmental mismanagement (Clinton for his sending millions of jobs to China, Bush for involving us in two wasteful wars, and Obama for twiddling his thumbs while our financial hous winds up in the pockets of Goldman Sachs.)

June 15, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • Deity Watching it all

Hey mister, watch your words, you sound hateful.

June 15, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  7. JustSayin

Some may doubt the existence of God, but the devil is certainly alive and flourishing in here.

June 15, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • JJ

Yes, and I think Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny may make an appearance too.

June 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  8. Vernon

Moving letter. What the heck is your problem? Is your hatred of this woman so out of control that you can't even let up for a piece on the birth of her Down's Syndrome Child? Don't you folks at CNN ever get embarrassed by these articles? I keep asking, but you keep sinking to new lows.

June 15, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • God

She's claiming to be Me. That doesn't irritate you even a little bit?

June 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • JDT

No. I think the problem is that she (Palin) is a nut job and it is fun (and very easy) to make fun of her.

June 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • Loren

If you or anyone else thinks that she is claiming to be God, then you need to have your examined, it is a literary device. You don't have to support her to be understanding or respectful. We all need to start having some more civil discourse.

June 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • Deity Watching it all

Loren, as a literary devise a character assumes some one else's voice and conveys a message. Sarah is a character (of sorts, which she is in a comical way). But she is a politician looking for the media to get out her message to her believers. Assuming someone else's voice is a bit much in that context. Can't she speak for herself?

June 15, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  9. Matt

it's too bad Palin isn't like her son... "...affectionate, generous, and cheerful". She oughta take a page there.

June 15, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • JDT

@Matt, she is like her son-retarded.

June 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  10. Char

Interesting that she already knew the outcome of her pregnancy a full 6 weeks in advance of her actual due date. This doesn't sound right. Are we sure she actually birthed the little guy?

June 15, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Daddy2010

Are you seriously asking that question?

This is just one, and not even the best, source of research for you to read.

June 15, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • Lynne

There are tests that can be done during the pregnancy to definitely diagnose or definitely eliminate the concern for Downs. Given that she is of advanced maternal age (as I was at the birth of my son), the tests are fairly routine and accurate.

June 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • JDT

@Char... read a book and you won't sound as dumb as Palin. There are numerous tests that can be performed (actually, they are routine these days) to test for various defects.

June 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • LL

Um, you find this stuff out MUCH earlier than that. So, no it's not interesting, it's normal.

June 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  11. Brian

I am far from a Palin supporter, in fact I'm more often embarrassed that she gets as much support as she does as compared to what she deserves, however, I must say that I was touched by the content and tone of this email. It really did bring a tear to my eye, and I now have a bit more respect for Mrs. Palin than I did prior to reading the email. It was quite nice. My first instinct was that it seemed inappropriate to "play God", but that's not what she did in this email. Nice work Sarah.

June 15, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
  12. Letter_from_God

Seems to be nothing unusual about this.
    20+million hits

People deal with death, tragedy, birth defects, etc. in their own way.

I doubt I'll ever vote for Sarah, but for anyone who feels inclined to post a negative comment: If you haven't personally experienced anything emotionally painful or difficult in your life, talk to friends or relatives who have... then post your comments.

June 15, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • J.Crobuzon

My son's handicapped. I didn't go around claiming to be God because of it.

June 15, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • Letter_from_God

J.Crobuzon
      Neither did she.

"I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes.""

June 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
  13. Phillip N. Priebe

Great Letter. Most of us are not brave enough to say/write what we actually feel. Proud of you, Sarah

June 15, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • JDT

and some of us (like Palin) shouldn't.

June 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  14. dc

Birth defect aside...what sacrilege on Palin's part. Even more of a reason to run from her and all those idiotic views.

June 15, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • Scott

Wow. Just...Wow....

June 15, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • Scott

Wow. Just...pathetic.

What is it about Sara Palin that makes you feel so inadequate?

June 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • J.Crobuzon

"What is it about Sara Palin that makes you feel so inadequate?" Nothing. Every time I hear her speak, I want to fall on my knees and thank God I'm not stupid. Compared to her, Gomer Pyle was a genius.

June 15, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • Mayla

I'm with you.
      My 1st thought....Really? She usually can't string two sentences together and make sense and now she's going to speak for God! (wow)
      My 2nd thought....How convienent. What a coincidence. As seen in some comments here...it's "release" is no doubt intended to gain support.
      My 3rd thought....Funny how she left her little "gift" behind and took her grandson instead (during her reality show stint)...
      DON'T BE FOOLED! This woman is nothing but an act!!! And she's been on way too long.
      BTW. I "know" this situation first hand. She needs to STOP playing it up. The rest of us (in the situation) DO NOT like her speaking for us!

June 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • LL

Mayla I can't stand this woman either; but your 2nd thought is wrong. Palin DIDN'T release these e-mails. They came out as the result of a foia request.

June 15, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  15. debbie

great job and beautifully done!!

June 15, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
  16. Don_J

God@heaven.all

June 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
  17. mark

this woman is mentally ill, it's shameful to keep putting out these stories.

June 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
  18. Barking Alien

Please heavenly father remove this dim bulb from our lives. This just reeks of phoney.

June 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
  19. CARLOS IN MIAMI

If you want Barack Obama to be re-elected, the only way to do it is to attract people to his cause. That's the only way to get votes, right? Well, all this slime and smear will not help. For God's sake, it's just an email that this woman wrote to comfort and prepare her family for what was coming. If all liberals are like this, I don't want any part of it! I thought you guys were the party of compassion. All I hear is blinding hate.

June 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • J.Crobuzon

"For God's sake" Which god do you believe in? If she claimed to be Allah, would it bug you? And what's ACTUALLY up with her kid? Did she give him up or is he being raised by nannies while she fantasizes about Paul Revere? Get her out of politics and I'll have all the sympathy in the world, but this is just glurge intended to get votes for her.

June 15, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • Daddy2010

Crobuzon,

You're transferring your dislike for her to the idea of her writing a letter about her son.
      You'll only lose credibility that way.

June 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • Mayla

IF ONLY IT DIDN'T "SMACK" OF SELF ABSORBTION!
      IF it was just for "family" ....why are we being subjected to her/this/her....

June 15, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • ElisabethinCA

Carlos,
      As opposed to what? The blinding hate she has and shares with the world every time she speaks about liberals and Obama? Why is it ok for her to lie, trash, and eviscerate the dems but when it happens to her she is a victim? I don't associate w/ one party or the other. I vote across political lines all the time. But you can't have it both ways. BOTH sides are just awful to each other but justify it for their own means while denying they are just as hateful. It’s disgusting. The people the scream the loudest are the ones that LOVE the hate and the nastiness. We as a country have turned into one big Jerry Springer show.

June 15, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  20. Ray

Sigh....whatever happened to quality journalism? Very sad that CNN tries to trivialize a family's immense challenge

June 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm |