home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Byrd

Bush thought he was channeling god's wishes too when he invaded Iraq while simultaneously launching his idiotic and maniacal ideological war against Islam. You were left with two conclusions when he specifically praised Islam and which you choose is up to you alone: truth or lie. His subsequent actions in prosecuting two wars against predominantly Islamic countries tends me toward the latter choice. But as for Palin, this seems fairly positive proof that someone is mixing something more than just bread and wine in the cannibal communion ritual. Whatever that substance might be, along with the programmed media hype, it's somehow convinced her that she's intelligent.

June 15, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • miyate

you are a terrorist.

June 15, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • Questioning

Why do you hate? Why do you hate God? Why do you hate people that have faith in God?

Before Saul was renamed Paul he was anti-Christian – to the extent of killing followers of Jesus. Then, Jesus appeared to Saul and asked 'Why do you persecute me? When you persecute any one of my followers, you persecute me.'

Why do you persecute Palin? Bush? People that are simply attempting to honor God in their lives and believe maybe, just maybe they have as much right to serve and lead the US as a pagan... Do they make mistakes? Sure. But, theirs are forgiven and God makes all things right in his time anyway.

So, why do you hate?

June 15, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • Deity Watching it all

God and politics don't mix too well. Bush, the god fearing man, has caused thousands of deaths (I won't even argue with you about the supposedly correct numbers), but all his fear in god didn't make him stop.
      So, Bush's mistakes are forgiven? But the same people are still dead, Americans and Iraqis, and others.

So, what if I made a mistake "persecuting Sarah Palin"? Good, god forgives and makes all things good in his time. Great. Then i am off the hook and I can keep persecuting until further notice. Amen

June 15, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  2. louis

The only reason she get's all this attention is so they can what stupid words come out of her mouth next.. trying to rewrite history...can anybody really think that she would even make a below average/terrible president???

June 15, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  3. curious

Who hear trusts the judgement of a woman of advanced maternal age, with a history of miscarriages, carrying a known special needs child, who has had her water break a month prematurely and who is having contractions, who flies for ten hours and then drives past a medical center with a NICU just so her child can be born in the same li'l old small town hospitals as his siblings who managed to be born?

Please, explain how this is responsible behavior. I'm dying to know.

June 15, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • Moose Knuckle

You are a disgusting piece of filth.

June 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • Deity Watching it all

Hey, moose knuckle, 'curious' just asked some questions. You, my antlered brother, you are a hater.

June 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  4. Rational People

People who have a theistic view of the world are crazy...Politicians who have a theistic view of the world are scary.

June 15, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • Hamish

I couldn't agree more than to add that politicians with a theistic view are scary, and DANGEROUS.

June 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • Moose Knuckle

You are a simpleton.

June 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  5. moboy67

You're all pretty disgusting in your comments. One day, hopefully before it's too late, you'll recognize God's omnipotentcy and have a better understanding of a mother's struggle to deal with a handicapped child.

June 15, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • MarineforLife

There is NO god!!!!!!!!!!!

June 15, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • moboy67

Marineforlife, sadly one day you will discover just how wrong you are.

June 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
    • MarineforLife

Moboy, Maybe but what it You are wrong??

June 15, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • moboy67

If I'm wrong then there is no hereafter and I go off into oblivion when I die. No harm no foul. But if you're wrong then your soul goes off into an eternal torment from which there is no relief. I pray that is not your fate.

June 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • Moose Knuckle

MarineforLife, you disgust me. As a Marine, I am ashamed of you.

June 15, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • Deity Watching it all

god's omnipotence? Why then did he not fix that small problem of an extra chromosome in Trig???????
      Because he likes to see the little one live a sometimes limited life? Or because he can't? Worse, because he doesn't care?
      omnipotence? Oh my, more like impot.ence!

June 15, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Deity Watching it all

@moboy, it's the other way around. There is no afterlife with denominational heavens and hells. We all go into oblivion, hopefully peacefully. I appreciate that you see it as a possibility. Maybe you want to look inside yourself and ask how much you really need this religious fabrication of an afterlife. You seem a smart fellow. Consider the possibilities.

June 15, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  6. Seth Hill of Topanga, California

Politically, I hate Sarah Palin as much as anyone does. But reading what she wrote here, I feel that she actually has a wonderfully warm heart and is personally very wise. I'm terrified of her leading our country, but I would welcome her into my family in a heartbeat.

June 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • Moose Knuckle

You hate her, but you would welcome her into your family?

June 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  7. laranchera

When is it going to end? I guess the media is disappointed that her emails while Governor didn't bring up anything to trash her with so they have to bring up the birth of her son Trig. They're probably disappointed that she didn't abort him.

The media has stooped to a new low... and those of you that criticize this with them should be ashamed of yourselves in this regard.

Why didn't they press Obama and his smirk involving "shovel ready jobs"? He's laughing at US and our misfortune and he thinks it's funny.

June 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
  8. MarkR

This is why many that are not on the liberal side of the fence avoid the mainstream news. I'm definitely not a Palin political fan and hope she does not try to run but I have sympathy for the absolute abusive treatment she gets from the media (who should by nature be even-handed). It sure sounds innocent, but by trying to make something out of nothing, CNN and others dig their own credibility grave. The sad thing for CNN and news media – whether conservative (e.g. FOX) and liberal (CNN and networks) is that the public knows it can no longer trust in their integrity and honesty... Perhaps that's a good thing.

June 15, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  9. Letter_from_God

J,
    Neither did she.

"I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes.""

June 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  10. ted

No fan of Palin's either, but this is a personal and private email. She should have been smart enough to send it through a personal email rather than the state email system, but whatever.

June 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  11. louis

Let me see her 16 yr. old daughter gets knocked up and she obviously watching or caring about her other kids and she's off on this $ making tour and she preaches to us about how to run our lives????

June 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Moose Knuckle

Louis, Did you even attend school? You are a moron.

June 15, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  12. AnnaLynne

A great blog that shows why the palin pregnancy did not happen

June 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Moose Knuckle

Wow! You set a new level of stupid and crazy.

June 15, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  13. sheppard

I find it a bit odd – perfectly $arah, but the only thing I could say remotely negative is – Too bad that 'love & acceptance', not perfect, but OK, doesn't extend to all of God's children. She does pick & chose who she considers 'not normal & perfect'. Smells somewhat of hypocrisy.......

June 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • Suz

Yes... true...

June 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • Moose Knuckle

Idiot

June 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
    • sheppard

Well moose – instead of just name calling, why don't you use some brain-matter and explain why this is not hypocritical?

June 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • Moose Knuckle

Sheppard, where did she indicate in this e-mail that anyone was not perfect? Where is the hypocrisy? Moron!

June 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • sheppard

Hmmm I can see asking moose to use brain matter is a waste of time. $palin has made her opinion of gays in the eyes of God (according to her) many times. After seeing that all the comments of the moose are nothing but name-calling of anyone who dares to have a differing opinion, I understand the defending of $palin, and won't try any meaningful dialog....

June 15, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
  14. mh

She is wonderful. The media has egg all over it's face and I am glad of it.

June 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • trigtwit...America's favorite tard baby

Geez, I thought I was the only retard here.

June 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • StoopidIzAzStoopidDuz

This is a joke comment, right????

June 15, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Joe The plumber

The media is God's shinning light on hateful Ex Govonors.

June 15, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  15. horst

I can't believe it..........this broad must have used spell check! Maybe there is hope......

June 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  16. D

"There is no perfect," yet she hates gays... This "woman" is such a child.

June 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • Moose Knuckle

Really, Jack Off? Where is that quote?

June 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • cornelius

My thoughts exactly.

June 15, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
  17. Artist

Doesn't matter

@Artist

I notice again you avoided my questions and only responded to one line from my post. You say "Not about being right, rather it "doesn't matter". ", my point that you so clearly missed is that you better be right about it not mattering because if I am right then you will not be happy and you will care a great deal at that moment.
    You go on to say"I fear a christian's hell about as much as I fear a muslim's hell for an example. Could there be or have been a being/beings more advanced than man, of course. Do I fear this being/beings, of course not. I do not fear what man writes or claims to be truth."
    The problem with your statement is in the last sentence," I do not fear what man writes or claims to be truth." The bible is not the word of man but instead the word of God whether or not you believe does not matter...It is true nonetheless...If you stand in traffic and say you don't believe in cars do you think they won't run you down? If you proclaim that China isn't real because you've never seen it does it cease to exist? I won't belittle your intelligence by answering these questions for you, but think about them before you make similar claims about God and His word...
    -----------
    Interesting, you are not hearing what I say. It "does not matter" to ME as to what your view of the afterlife might be. This isa fact, man wrote your bible. Man has written a lot of things about gods. In fact all that we have on gods is man written. Now if you wish to believe your god is the only real god and the rest are false, more power to you. If you wish to believe that a god "spoke to" man...more power to you. As I said, I seen not reason to fear the words of man. I reject man and I am open for any of the gods that man has written about to come down here. Your faith is in the writings of men, this you cannot deny. I simply choose not to put my faith in man.

June 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • cornelius

Yeah the whole problem with the cars/China analogy is the concept of demonstrable proof. Saying that just because someone doesn't believe in cars or in China doesn't mean they don't exist is a fatally flawed argument because the converse can be said about God. Just because someone DOES believe in God or that the Bible is the true word of God doesn't make it true. It can be demonstrably proven that cars exist or that China exists...but it can never and will never be possible to demonstrably prove that some sort of omniscient, omnipotent, anthropomorphic creator being exists or that the Bible is that being's absolute and infallible record of written truth.

June 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  18. This is GOD Speaking ! ! !

Hi Sarah! This is God speaking . . . well, it's really just you speaking to yourself, but that's the fun of having an invisible friend. Invisible friends help you personally and will punish those bed people you don't like forever in the God of love's invisible torture chamber.

I have given you a special gift by letting you give birth to a baby to whom I decided to give a terrible disease. This shows I really pay attention to you, so much so that I would happily maim your child for life to give this gift to you. Because it's not about him; it's about you. I could have made Trig and every other birth-defect child be born healthy, but I am such a God of love that I deform them by the millions. I give lots of gifts of love, like cancer and AIDS and tornadoes and earthquakes and starvation and drought, and I let a couple live here and there so that they can tell the world of my miraculous mercy on them.

So I am God, the one you made up and who's thinking you did for him, just as if I were a made-up fantasy invisible friend. All religious people do the same thing, just make up what I am and what I say and what I do and think. And everyone has a slightly different version of me, some partly based on primitive supersti-tions codified into texts, and most based on other people's versions.

It's like a chain letter – pass this message onto ten people and azaming magic good luck will befall you.

I am God, which is just you using your imagination.

June 15, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • Vee

The only thing more rdiciulous than Sarah Palin is your lengthy, ridiculous response to this story. Was all of that even necessary? You don't have anything else to do??? Wow...

June 15, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • Joe The plumber

Very funny – nice post.

June 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • RaKa

This is God. didn't read your post. too long

June 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • StoopidIzAzStoopidDuz

@Vee.... Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.... You read the article, read this comment (after likely reading others) and then comment yourself.... Clearly you need some other ways to occupy your time too! (aw crap, so do i!)

June 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • Natalie N.

You post was well done, thanks!

June 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  19. Jodie (from Australia)

I'm no fan of Palin's, but where exactly is the public interest in releasing this? This is a private email, which has absolutely no bearing on the running of Alaska, so how is the release of this justified under the Freedom of Information act? Like I said, I'm a proud liberal, I'm not a Republican supporter, but this is wrong. They should only be releasing emails relevant to politics and her performance as Governor.

June 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • mh

Thy are reporting this email because they could not find anything nasty to say about her.

June 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • colin

She is running the (geographically) largest state in the Union and having fantasies that a creator of the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies personally gave her child Down syndrome to make her life ""sp.ecial"". That is not only relevant- it is alarming.

We can"t all be blessed with an atheist Prime Minister.

June 15, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • David Litton

In defense of the release of the actual email, she did send it using her state email address, and not a personal one. I, for one, however, do not agree that it needed to be blasted all over the media in some quasi-attempt to make her look bad. She does enough of that on her own (I'm not a Palin supporter), but CNN really is starting to lose its mind when it releases something like this as news.

June 15, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • GTA

"This is a private email, which has absolutely no bearing on the running of Alaska..."

Precisely the point made by several others here. That is, it was a private email overflowing with religious content, so why was it sent using a government email account?

"...so how is the release of this justified under the Freedom of Information act?"

With regard to the content of government emails, what part of "freedom of information" do you not understand?

June 15, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  20. Joe The plumber

In the 6th paragraph she says "Then finally, ...." and rambles on for another 10 paragraphs. Sarah try writing succinct. Look at it this way. You could sum up Socartes's whole life in 3 sentences. Socartes lived a long time ago. He gave long speeches. His friends poisoned him.

June 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • Suz

I'm no Palin lover, but since we're critiquing... you should have written "writing succinctly." "Writing" is a verb.

June 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Suz

Additionally, it's Socrates. I've never heard of Socartes.

June 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • GTA

Socartes. He rode with Paul Revere through New Hampshire warning the British that the Tea Party was starting...

June 15, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Suz
      You gots more gooder riting then I done has.

June 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • Moose Knuckle

Joe, are you advocating the poisoning of Ms. Palin? It sure seems like you are.

June 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm |