home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. I understand

I think it's beautiful. Those that don't understand her purpose here, don't understand what she is going through. I do. And I compliment her words and wisdom displayed here.

June 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • NoGodsHere

That's because you are a m-o-r-o-n.

June 15, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • Gladys Kravitz

Please don't tell people what they do or do not understand. I may not have had a Down's Syndrome child, but I raised a child with other special needs...on my own and with no help from others...and almost lost her. I will stand by my opinion that if Palin truly cared for anyone or anything other than herself, she'd be sticking closer to home and actually attending to her child's special needs.

June 15, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • Alter_Ego

NoGodsHere is a troll. His rampant jealousy of Palin is quite obvious. But what really gets to him is knowing that there are millions of people who agree with Palin, and only a handful of people who even know NoGodsHere's real name.

Grow up child.

June 15, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • peacppl

LMAO

June 15, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  2. peacppl

Didnt you know??? GOD only loves the GOP

June 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  3. Philip

I am not a Palin fan, quite the contrary in fact. However, I think this is probably the most authentic, sensitive and real thing she has ever done. Indeed, I think this reaches a standard of authenticity, sensitivity and realness we should all aspire to. (Still don't think that she should hold office!)

June 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  4. Kelly

The only thing I got out of this article and the comments that followed is my disbelief at how many of you commenting can be so hateful. Most of these comments are truly sickening.

June 15, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • Trig

Dear God, Thank you ........your plan sucks

June 15, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
  5. Alrighty Then...

Yep, she has a God complex... completely narcissistic personality. This explains her unfounded belief in herself.

June 15, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  6. i wonder

I hope it all works out well for this family. I really don't know how I would react to this challenge.

Perhaps Down's children are often sunny, affable and dear, however it is not always the case. I have some friends for whom it didn't turn out to be so. They are lovely, loving, highly-educated, professional people who did everything humanly possible to give their little boy the very best care; but as he reached adolescence he became physically aggressive, hostile and violent and eventually posed a severe danger to the family's physical and emotional well-being. They were heartbroken (again) to have to place him in a care facility. This is anecdotal evidence, I know; but nevertheless a fact.

June 15, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  7. um

I think I just got trig-hinosis through my eyes from reading that

June 15, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  8. EffortPA

Please leave me out of politics, too many people have died because of their idiotic religious interpretations.

Your Heavenly Father.

June 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  9. Rose

FAKE!

June 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  10. Nancy M. B.

Who is taking care of this retarded child - one who will always be a burden on everyone - while his mother is off trying to be President of the United States? Because SHE sure as hell ain't caring for him! Easy to say what a blessing such a child is when you have the wherewithal to hire nannies and private tutors and never have to be tied down because of him. Thank goodness real, everyday mothers can terminate pregnancies like this one when they realize they are going to be tied down to a retarded child FOREVER, and may not be financially or emotionally equipped to do it.

June 15, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • Rodrigo M.

As someone who has worked with children with Down Syndrome, I find this message rather hateful and ignorant. Those children taught me so much about loving, caring, happiness, and compassion. I hope you eventually get the opportunity to interact with those beautiful people, and be similarly affected by their unadulterated joy.

June 15, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • Mike

Are you so pro-abortion that you think anytime a child will burden his or her parents that the pregnancy should be terminated? If that is the standard we live by, then most pregnancies will end in abortion because all children impose a burden on their parents – – – but that is the point of parenting, your life changes, and if you did not anticipate that this would be the case, then you should have been more responsible before getting pregnant. it amazes me how easy it is for you to say that a kid with a condition like this should have been aborted - why don't you tell that to the kid?
      Your message is to abort all "retarded children?" You don't find that immoral and/or crazy? You don't have to believe in a god to see that (just like me).

June 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • PAUL JOHNSON

You must be one sad individual, I first wanted to blast you for your comments but I guess I will just pray for you. The children for whom you wish death on have more meaning in their life than you will probably ever have. May God have mercy on your soul. I am sorry you have so much misery in your life, and I pray God has spared any child from your hands.

June 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • Howie

Nancy could have worded this better, but her point is accurate. Rodrigo, when you worked with those children, did you stick around to see what happens when they become adults? I have a relative with Downs, and know several others. Invariably the happy, generous child becomes a sullen abusive adult when they realize they will never have the life they see other adults having. They become violent, foul mouthed, manipulative, and altogether nasty people. It would be doing them, the family, and society as a whole a major favor if every one of them was aborted.

June 16, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Artist

There is a pattern we are startng to see with Sarah. She is a failure on a personal side. However, when it comes to money she is aggressive and successful. Looking at how her daughter turned out and she failed her, I suspect she will fail this child.

June 16, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
  11. Fluffy

Creepy.

June 15, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  12. wilson

She has a god complex. Now imagine her being in control as the president of the US. Shudder to think.

June 15, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  13. Chirag Patel

ahhh good old blind faith.....

June 15, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  14. Xuxun

I she really believe that God does not make mistakes, then why is she so anti-gay? Is God selective making His boo-boos?

June 15, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • wilson

She thinks it's a choice that gay people make. Stupid eh?

June 15, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Xuxun,
      Consider:
      Ho-mo-s3xuality is not a mistake by God but humans thinking that way….
      http://youtu.be/K0sILSapUUc the Church and Ho-mo-s3xuals

June 16, 2011 at 11:17 am |
  15. Rubin

There are a plethora of things to convince thinking people that this woman is a nutter. This isn't one of them. This thinking person actually feels kinda sorry for her that this was brought out as an example of her kook. It's not. There's nothing wrong with someone of faith sharing a difficult time with their friends and family and expressing that faith in whichever manner they choose.

The fact that she's a nutter doesn't take away from the fact that she loves her family and friends and shared to bring them together.

That's the big worry in this. She's doing the same thing across America.

To me she's just a nutter that loves her friends and family. It's just very worrying that there's a whole lotta people in the USA that think that this nutter should be President.

June 15, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • qunicey9

Politics aside I don't understand how, given her recent political and media-covered history, she can raise enough money for a cup of coffee let alone a presidential run. She's a delusional nut.... and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

June 15, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • ML

Right on, Rubin. I'm very liberal and have little to no respect for Palin the politician, but as a mother, woman, and human, this has made me respect her. She shows true love and devotion to her family. Traits everyone (regardless of ideology) can admire, respect, and strive to achieve.

June 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • Riley

I couldn't agree more. I am not a fan of Palin, but this was a personal means of preparing herself for upcoming challenges. While I probably would have taken a different approach, I can't judge her for dealing with the situation in the way that worked best for her.

June 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  16. K3Citizen

If God didn't make mistakes, then why so does she have so much hatred towards gays, caribou, and Obama?

June 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • DannyBoy

Why is it that when someone disagrees with someone elses view, they're automatically labeled as a hater. Does that mean that you hate Sarah Palin because you disagree with her religious views?? It's sad that people can't voice their opinion without being labeled as a hater by those who disagree.

June 15, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • CatholicMom

K3Citizen,
      Ho-mo-s3xuality is not a mistake by God but humans thinking that way….
      http://youtu.be/K0sILSapUUc the Church and Ho-mo-s3xuals

June 16, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  17. colin

The Sam Harris quote about George W Bush and the hair dryer would be appropriate about now – if anybody has it at their fingertips.

June 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  18. Tristicator

just plain old.. WEIRD!..

June 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  19. Jeebuz Christ

To God speaking...
    Go, dad!! You showed Palin.

June 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  20. steven harnack

If this is supposed to convince me that she is anything but a money worshipping idiot it fails and I am not impressed. Just more convinced that she is an egomaniac who even presumes to speak for her god. I thought that was called blasphemy?

June 15, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • Mrs. M

The only reason this was published here was because some idiot (someone you know, perhaps?) requested the release of all emails from Palin's office, during her tenure as Governor of Alaska. It wasn't addressed to you, and certainly not intended to convince you of anything. The reality in this life is we're all faced with challenges. For me, lifes most overwhelming challenge suffering the stupidity of others, most especially those people who never miss an opportunity to publish some unthoughtful and idiotic opinion, never grasping the fact that they have no clue what they're talking about.

June 15, 2011 at 2:42 pm |