home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Deity Watching it all

Thoughts of an agnostic dyslexic falling asleep: "I wonder if there is a dog?"

June 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  2. seminolz

THis is very real, unklike obama's birth certificate.............she is one courageous lady..and blessed too..

June 15, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • Realist

What color is the sun on your world?

June 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Ric

In what way is she 'blessed'?

June 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • Erty Erty

Your response id "unreal"

June 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Chris

Courageous? On what basis do you make that claim? She had the courage to quit her post as governor in pursuit of fame and money. You're right - that did take courage.

She's not courageous. She is in her own little world.

June 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Are you serious???

Are you serious????? Who writes letters like they are god???? CRAZY PEOPLE!!!!! And Obama's birth certificate not real? You probably believe we didn't land on the moon either!

June 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • Patrick

Chris,

ABOUT QUITTING

Eliot Spitzer (D), QUIT Governor of New York, in shame
      King Edward, QUIT being The King of England, for love
      Bill Gates, QUIT College, to start Microsoft with Paul Allen
      Paul Allen, QUIT Microsoft, to avoid Bill Gates
      The Beatles, QUIT their fans, to seek new directions
      Einstein, QUIT High School, and failed his college entrance exams.
      Barrack Obama SR, QUIT his family, to seek power in Kenya
      Millions, QUIT their Marriages, to seek better relationships
      Millions, QUIT their Jobs, to seek betters ones
      Millions, QUIT smoking, for better health
      Sarah Palin, QUIT Governing, for legal reasons

There are good and bad reasons to quit what you’re doing….

June 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • Chris

Patrick,

At what point did I say "There are never good reasons to quit"? I said nothing of the sort. In fact, I agree with you - there are almost always some great reasons to quit. However, I have yet to see anyone defend Sarah's running from her post as an act of courage. Can you offer evident to back such an assertion?

June 15, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  3. Chartreux

Since Alaska Governor Sarah Palin considered exercising her legal right to choose when she discovered she was pregnant with a Down's Syndrome child, I take this email with a large dose of anti-nausea medication. Hypocrites make me ill.

I don't get all the hero worship for her decision to keep this pregnancy. I have a great lack of respect for her for failing to be a good mother to her daughter, Bristol, who became pregnant out of wedlock at the same time her mother was herself not paying enough attention to her own body so that she conceived this child too late in life for his own health. As the parent of a child with disabilities, I gave up my career to remain at home with him. He blossomed as a result and is in college now. Always the child should come first.

It amuses me that she claims to be a Mama Grizzly. Grizzly mothers when pregnant during hibernation can resorb their fetuses if they are deficient in resources rather than give birth. Yes, Mama Grizzlies practice choice. Doubtless Ms Palin was unaware of this fact of biology when she chose this moniker. It's too bad her actions belie it.

June 15, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • gerogianis

I wish you had been aborted. This way no one would ever have to hear your cries, meet your desires, or decode the loosely coded way you describe: "Sarah Palin chose not to get an abortion" and that is why you dislike her. Nice. Well, again, I really do wish you were not alive. Maybe you should exercise your right to extinction. I say drown yourself.

June 15, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
  4. JohnRJohnson

Oy. This woman is truly delusional.

June 15, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  5. paul

Since she is so close with God, (and she has said that God controls all) then she should know that God put Obama in the White House. Therefore, when she continues to criticize Obama she is also critcizing God.

June 15, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  6. LB in FL

I think I just threw up in my mouth........

June 15, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • Patrick

Now swallow....that is the taste you portray to others....

June 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  7. eric

This is quite disturbing. I had figured the heavenly father would have better grammar.

June 15, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  8. Alex

Let's think about this. If I sent an email to people claiming to be Sarah Palin, I'm guessing she wouldn't be too happy about it. I wonder how G-d feels? Wait....can I file a complaint pretending to be G-d, pretending to be angry at Sarah for pretending to be me???

June 15, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • Patrick

Do us all a favor, don't think.

June 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  9. McBrian

I am a confirmed, but non practicing atheist. Some of you people commenting make me sick to my stomach, how can you deride and belittle the sincere beliefs of another human being?? Instead of taking what most of us would see as the easy way out and aborting her baby, this woman made a courageous decision and tried to justify it with this wonderful letter to her family and friends.

While I am on my soap box, what business is it of the media to pour through the writings of a private citizen? If she declares for another public office, all things should be on the table of course, but this is a prime example of media harassment. We have done a good job of identifying and reducing other forms of harassment, but this is over the top.

June 15, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • Trig

I am sickened that God failed me.

June 15, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • brenda

I agree with you what business is it of the medias to be into a private citizens mail. Could this be the beginning of just checking anyones mail to see if we like what they got or wrote. enough is enough. Why aren't we checking out other private citizens emails?

June 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • PD

"I am a confirmed, but non practicing atheist"

What? Hahaha. As a fellow Atheist, I can assure you... a "non-practicing Atheist" must then be Agnostic or religious or dead. You can't be a non-practicing Atheist. It's not like being a non-practicing Catholic - you believe, but don't attend church. Atheists don't have unChurches that we occasionally skip in favor of hitting the beach that day. So I somehow doubt you're a genuine Atheist, and you're really just a big Palin supporter.

June 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • Mike

Thank you. It's really sad that most (if not all) of those people who posted those hateful comments toward Ms. Palin believe in God, but you wouldn't know it by their comments.

June 15, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  10. Gnodges

Yeah, right. When is the last time you saw Trig with Sarah Palin?..............she is the mother of a special needs toddler, and he is nowhere to be found.

June 15, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • Chartreux

Word. One wonders if he would recognise her as his mother.

June 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  11. Patrick

If your and adult, who read this email, and have children, wish too, or love life, you would be hard pressed not think.

...........What a beautiful thing to say...........

Her comments truly exemplify "American Exceptionalism" and the kindness and thoughtfulness our nation has shown the world.

This is the qualities that America should be exporting every bit as much as goods and services.

Clearly Sarah Palin is cut from a cloth that many of us are not, as revealed by the petulant, churlish, and hateful disrespect her detractors have shown this lovely person and accomplished public servant.

Politics aside. Decency is in order.

June 15, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • JUST SAYING

A working brain for you would be in order. Are you a special needs child too?

June 15, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • Gladys Kravitz

Sorry. She brought all this on herself. If only in the beginning she would have admitted she made mistakes instead of blaming the media and everyone else for her misguided ramblings, perhaps others would give her a pass. She's spent way too much time vilifying everyone and everything that doesn't conform to her way of thinking and believing. As one poster so aptly put it, she is a nutter.

June 15, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • Chartreux

The cloth she's cut from is arrogance and self-righteousness.

I have never pretended to be God, nor have I ever sent an email pretending to be God. You seem to think she had the right to do this. I marvel at you OR ANYONE excusing it. No one should do this, ever. I'm appalled and horrified. It's a dreadful embarrassment that's been uncovered here. You need to take a step back and ask yourself, if anyone else had done this, how would you feel? What if President Obama had done this, how would you feel? Would you be angered? Yes, and rightfully so.

June 15, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • Patrick

The comments of derision and avarice on "this subject" says more about the speaker than the subject.

June 15, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  12. Molly

How did you know she was going to have a comfortable and rushed pregnancy six weeks before her due date – because she wasn't pregnant, that's why!

June 15, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  13. Shannon Ramcat

Religious people are so stupid. They just melt with all this corny cartoonish crap. Palin's a complete fake.

June 15, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • my6cents

Tell that to God when you meet Him , and you WILL eventually meet Him.

June 15, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • Chris

my6, do you realize how many religions have thought they they were "the correct religion"? It's more than a little naive and egotistical to think that your spritiual belief is THE way. Perhaps when you die, if you are so fortunate as to meet "your creator", you will be devastated to find that he/she/it is nothing like what you imagined... and that YOU are the only one to meet this creator.... and that the creator has actually kept track of all of your "sins"... and that the "atone for your sins to get into heaven" crap was completely wrong... and that your creator banishes you immediately for your sins and your self-appointed judgment and egoism to an eternity of nothingness.

June 15, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • Patrick

I guess you include our Founding Fathers too?

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.
      - Helen Keller

June 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  14. T3chsupport

It's obvious how much she loves her family, which is really the only thing I can credit her for. It's a shame she's such a divisive imbecile.

June 15, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • Alter_Ego

ditto to you on the divisice imbecile portion of your comment. Not sure if you share her love of her family or not. I'm assuming you are full of hate.

June 15, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  15. Mark

If your imaginary friend starts writing real emails it's time to seek psychiatric help.

June 15, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • W

Ha!!

June 15, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  16. taxpayer

Should't she have used her PRIVATE email account to send that. You know the one that got hacked??

NOT her Alaska Governor's Email account. It was a personal message NOT Governmental business.

June 15, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • VARS123

This is YAHOO mail. Government doesn't use yahoo mail. You should think before you spit anything.

June 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  17. Artist

"God is your way to deal with your weaknessess and inadequacies."
    -------–
    I could not agree more with this statement. Palin has made mistake after mistake with her children. Also has Palin thought that perhaps God is punishing her?

June 15, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • Alter_Ego

Lol – you think Palin feels punished?

June 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  18. Dave Shepard

Wow. Everything that comes out of that woman's mouth demonstrates that she's a nutcase. If, God forbid (ha ha), she's get elected President, I'm moving to Canada.

June 15, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • Joe

I'm riding shotgun!!!!

June 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • Alter_Ego

You probably fit in better there now. Why wait? Please don't come back looking for healthcare or more handouts...we'd prefer your kind to not associate with our kind.

June 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • Chartreux

My Outback will be the second car in the wagon train, let's roll!

June 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • Alter_Ego

You drive an Outback. .

June 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • Mike

Why wait? I'll give you a one way ticket now.

June 15, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
  19. Luckyliberal

Tacky of CNN to report on this, I hate it when you reduce a news leader to the likes of the Enquirer.

June 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • NoGodsHere

Fox news will give you all of the Sarah Palin praise you need. This is CNN and the majority of people here understand that Sarah Palin is barely even worth making new in the Enquirer. Good day.

June 15, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • Denizen Kate

Hasn't she done that to herself? News leader? As if!

June 15, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • donutman

you make it sound like she's the only news leader...she wants the attention, she's got it just like all the other "news leaders"

June 15, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  20. Gladys Kravitz

@mh – Why? Because she has zero problem with exploiting her other children by dragging them around and making them mug in front of the cameras when they clearly don't want to. Perhaps if she behaved more like a mother instead of telling the rest of us how to behave, she'd get more respect.

June 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • Alter_Ego

Are you telling her how to behave? I guess you just lost all of whatever respect you deserved...

June 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Chartreux

Hypocrites make me physically ill. This woman had an abortion in college (one of the seven she attended before she could graduate), and SHE CONSIDERED ABORTING THIS PREGNANCY, TOO! HOW DOES THAT MAKE HER A HEROINE?

She's the biggest hypocrite in a group of hypocrites, as far as I'm concerned. Poor Trig is just another political prop. What I want to know is, does he recognise his mother when she's in the same room with him?

If she really gave a care, she'd spend all her time with him. I have a special needs son and I gave up my career to look after him. It paid off and he's in college now. Poor Trig.

June 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm |