home
RSS
Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God
Sarah Palin in Philadelphia last month.
June 15th, 2011

Sarah Palin e-mail message written as though from God

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Among the 24,000 pages of e-mail from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin released on Friday, one message stands out for its signature line. It's signed by the "Creator" and "Your Heavenly Father." In other words, God.

Palin sent the e-mail to family and friends in April 2008 in anticipation of the birth of her and her husband Todd's fifth child, Trig. Palin knew her son would have Down syndrome, and the e-mail is a meditation on that knowledge and on how others should view him in light of the diagnosis.

"I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you," the e-mail message begins. "I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!"

Palin included most of the e-mail in her 2009 book Going Rogue.

"In my research on Down syndrome, I learned that these special kids most often bring joy into their family’s lives," she wrote in that book, explaning her decision to pen a note in the voice of God. "While they had developmental challenges, they were also affectionate, generous, and cheerful. Rather than focus on what could be perceived as negative, I wanted our loved ones to focus on the fact that this baby, every baby, has purpose, and that not only would he learn from us, but we would learn from him."

"I decided to write the letter as though it were from Trig’s Creator, the same Creator in whom I had put my trust more than thirty years before," she continued in Going Rogue. "I hoped that even though this new baby would present challenges, we’d trust that God knew best, that He didn’t make mistakes."

The e-mail message released last week includes lines that Palin edited out of her book.

For instance, Palin - channeling the voice of God - wrote in her message that a Down syndrome child will make family and friends rethink traditional notions of perfection. The e-mail released last week includes subsequent lines that were edited out of Going Rogue:

But tell me what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store aisle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!

The full e-mail message is below. What do you think of the idea of penning a note from God? Let us know in comments.

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:17:11
To:gov.sarah@yahoo.com
Cc:gov.palin@yahoo.com
Subject: Baby

To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!) :

I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up. Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be "Trig", because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news – that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days – just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palins look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days... you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for. At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that. I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you...

I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect". You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will be born along with Trig.

Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did. And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for...in fact Trig will – in some diagnostic ways – always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family. Many people won't understand... and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts... for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me – now it's time to live out that belief!

Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

Love,
Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics • Sarah Palin • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,030 Responses)
  1. Kalen

I think it is hilarious that this little fireball-ette from small town Alaska gets such a rise out of people. I can just picture you folks standing up and yelling at your laptops, spilling coffee on the keyboard, cursing a blue streak and somehow blaming Sarah for that too. Oh, and somehow the Israel lobby is backing her... Oy vey!!!

June 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • Obamination

Finally, some sense on this forum. There are simply too many Obamanut Kool-Aid drinkers on CNN forums... Fancy that, he is being sued by members of his own party for actions in Libya, but is anyone talking in the negative about that? Didn't think so...

June 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • TC

Here, here! Well said. Amazing isn;t it how Sarah Palin stories get the hatefilled and venom-spewing folks going here. If they directed that passion toward something productive then maybe the world would be a better place.

June 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • MaggieJS

TC and Obamination, if you want hate and venom going the other way, go read Fox news comments.
      TC, that would be "hear, hear" not "here, here." It's a short cut for "hear ye, hear ye."

June 15, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • TC

Mag – I wouldn't disagree with you at all on Fox. Just becasue I call out the haters here, doesn't mean they don;t exist everywhere else. Thanks for the grammar lesson, but I don;t focus or care in a short post forum. I am not at work nor am I writing my thesis. Let the grammar and spelling police focus on the content

June 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • brenda

Maggie I skip back and forth between the two websites and the most hateful, rude, brainless comments come from the left.
      I also think it's funny so many aetheists come to the belief blog, shouldn't they have a unbelief blog to comment at?

June 15, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • mfhpr

Yes, the thought of her does get our blood boiling when idiots support her glamorization of bad grammar, lack of education, and re-writing history. There are still idiots out there that use the kool-aid reference for Obama supporters when they are the epitome of the blind being led by the stupid. You know...cut taxes to the super wealthy, must be in multiple wars, leave education behind, must take away abortion rights...See anything that indicates they're pushing for economic growth/jobs? Nope, and you won't. They'll blame the left but not do one single thing to create jobs. Let me know when you see that happen. And if you say cutting taxes for the wealthy is creating jobs I'll point you toward the past. Yes, all those tax cuts over the past 10 years have created TONS of jobs! Oh, we do love Palin for continuing to spew her negativity and ignorance. But we love even more when people come to her defense....keep it up!

June 15, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
  2. GMAN

Hopefully God will tell her to run against Obama so the Dems can be in power for another term.

June 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  3. Jesus of Nazareth

I thought her and all of her kids had down syndrome.

June 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  4. shawbrooke

She's trying to tell her nearest and dearest that she is looking at Trig's life from a Christian perspective. It's beautifully done and done with integrity. What's not to like?

June 15, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • Patrick

Clearly, you get it right. Nice comment. One of the few on this site that understands, not everything is just politics.

June 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  5. catholicboy

I can't believe the arrogance of this B****. Only she has the hutspa to claim to know the thoughts of God.
    F her

June 15, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • TC

great compassionate thoughts and language – I'd drop the catholic moniker if I were you and the rest of us need to stay clear of the you the lightning rod

June 15, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • Mildred the Mouth

Plenty of your friends claim to know the same. No difference.

June 15, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
  6. Doc Vestibule

The letter is nothing more than a mother rationalizing how a tragic hardship is actually a gift from an omnibonevolent god.

June 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

before the spelling police lay any charges, I am aware that I misspelled "benevolent".

June 15, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  7. bertha59

Did she use her official email account as the governor of Alaska?

I have worked with Down syndrome people...most are not happy. They have physical issues and most often behavioral problems that are hard to overcome. What a dupe that palin is.

June 15, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • TC

Who cares if she used her government email – not a problem in the slightest. She is a good mother to a special needs child – who's the dupe? Everyone is looking at you.

June 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  8. MaggieJS

I dislike Sarah Palin intensely – however, I respect this one item (her thoughts in this e-mail) because it shows she came to terms with the fact that the child was going to need extra help and care all his life. Does this make me want to vote for her, ever, for anything? No.

June 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • D

I would normally agree with your...if she were a mother who would take the time to spend raising her family rather than being out in every spotlight she can find. Her oldest one getting pregnant and letting her family steamroll over her decision to get married because the father isn't in the social registry of her kind. Not only would I not classify Sarah Palin as a decent human being...but a total failure as a parent. I only hope she got herself fixed...so that she doesn't "bless the world" with another screwed up kid to use in her race for popularity.

June 15, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • TC

You dislike her that much? What crime has she committed against you? Whatever your prob is, you need to forgive and move on.

June 15, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • TC

Hey you big D – love how you are the world's authority on the inner workings and family dynamics of the Palin home. Suggest you focus on your home and not make assumptions about everyone elses

June 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Chartreux

TC, Sarah Palin drags her family out as political props on every occasion. I would love it if she would stay home and look after Trig as I have looked after my own special needs child. SHE's the one who keeps her white trash issues in the public eye. It's absolutely sick-making.

I look forward to the day that I can read the news and the name Palin is absent therefrom.

June 15, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  9. walkinginmemphis

truth is liberal women hate her because, not only that she looks better than them,
    she's also a living reminder that what liberal women promote to abort and kill everyday IS NOT ABLOB OF BLOOD, BUT A LIVING BREATHING HUMAN BEING, AND THEIR GUILT IS EATING THEM INSIDE.

June 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • inga

Troll!

June 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • bertha59

I am a proud liberal and you know what? I think Palin is quite unattractive. Her face looks absolutely plastic and that hairdo is from way back in years.

June 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • catholicboy

you don't make any sense here

June 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • mfhpr

She looks better than liberal women??? Hmmmm...how astute of you to have found this in your worldly research. I appreciate your efforts to assist in my search for beautiful women. I will no longer seek them in "liberal" forums. The likes of Cindy Crawford, Jennifer Aniston, et al will no longer fit the bill...thank you!

June 15, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • Really?

Ah, and I have seen conservative women doing the same aborting a baby to save face in the community; but that's ok, it was a conservative and they only do what is right! (for themselves while telling others what to do.)

June 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Dabchick

Your remark is laughable & incorrect. Keep walking.

June 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Chartreux

Palin had an abortion when she was in college.

How about that, then? Is she still the Great Goddess you worship now?

June 15, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Chartreux

Now I'm wishing I'd had an abortion so I could tell you how wrong you are. No woman has an abortion lightly, but it's not your business. It's not my business, either.

June 15, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • No One Is Safe

@slitheringincrap – yeah, okay... you just keep on tellin' yourself whatever you need to, to get you through your day...

June 22, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  10. John

I'm stomping on your face and choking you to death. I've heard your prayers and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!
    sincerely,
    God

June 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  11. Mudmanor

It's always the cover up! Who cares if she took someone else's child to raise as her own. He was supposedly 5 weeks premature and went to work with her at 3 days old? Premmies are not discharged for weeks most of the time. Fess up $arah and go home and get him the care he requires.

June 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  12. fred

I notice a lot of the negative comments come from those who do not believe in Christ so they attack Sarah just because she is a Christian. Well the year is 2011AD. Every time you write that date remember our calendar began with the birth of Christ. All that happened before is BC. To this day non Christians have been pushing hard to rename it BCE before common era so as not to offend. Some day they may succeed in pretending is was never BC but, until then every day is a thorn in their sides. The line was drawn and we live today in the year of our Lord 2011.

June 15, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • Descarado

CNN is home to the evangelical atheists.

June 15, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • Stevie7

"I notice a lot of the negative comments come from those who do not believe in Christ so they attack Sarah just because she is a Christian."
      -------–
      People don't attack Sarah because she's a Christian. They attack her because she's an ignorant, pompous, self-serving quitter. She embodies very few Christian values as far as I can see.

June 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • ScottK

The use of BC and AD for numbering calendar years was invented by Dionysius Exiguus in 525 AD. He decided to start his 532 year cycle from the year associated with the foundation of Rome. At that time Christ’s birth was supposed to have occurred immediately preceding the year of the founding of Rome. Today, based on historical evidence relating to Herod and astronomical evidence relating to eclipses and star novas, most historians believe Christ was actually born a few years earlier.

June 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • mfhpr

So says those who expect others to follow and believe in their unproven theories with nothing but myths to support the theories.

June 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • Chartreux

I'm a Christian. Sarah Palin is bigoted, self righteous, stupid and pompous. Those are the reasons I'm attacking her. It has nothing to do with the fact that she's a Christian, it has much more to do with her being a bad Christian.

Stop playing the victim card on her behalf. She's chosen to be in the spotlight and she has to put up with everything that comes along with it. She's supposed to be a big girl.

Oh, that's right. She complains about the media attention that comes along with the place in the spotlight, doesn't she? Oh, my. When you mess with the bull, you get the horns.

June 15, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
  13. Descarado

Did CNN, The New York Times, The Washington Post and the unemployed Obamatron zombies actually find a scintillating e-mail among the thousands they rummaged through?

June 15, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • mfhpr

The emails have nothing to do with Obama. Folks are simply seeking incriminating evidence against a poser. Anyone that supports her "causes" is too stupid to realize she's taking him/her for the ride of HER life.

June 15, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  14. BluedogAK

Do I understand this correctly? God "even seemed to rush" along this pregnancy so "Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days...." God risked Trig's health–undeveloped lungs, heart problems, nursing problems, jaundice, and all of the other risks of a premature birth–so Piper didn't have to wait for his arrival, the way she has to wait to open her Christmas presents?

"I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!" Was Trig better off by being born early? God chose to address Piper's impatience rather than Trig's well-being?

Since Mrs. Palin wrote the draft of this letter 10 days before his birth, which was SIX WEEKS EARLY, how did she know that her baby was going to be just fine despite being born prematurely?

I would seriously like one of Mrs. Palin's supporters to explain her thinking here. Try not to avoid the factual questions by calling me names, which does not seem very Christian-like.

Also please describe her psychic or prophetic abilities. Because if she can foresee the future this way, then I will seriously consider voting for her. (Although she did seem to miss the fact that apparently God didn't want her to walk through the door of the vice president's residence.)

June 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • gg

I don't think she was being prophetic. She was just trying to encourage her family that everything was going to be fine. Surely you have heard someone tell a loved one "everything is going to be ok" even when they were not sure it would be...

June 15, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • Common Sense

She was being optimistic. Heaven forbid someone in this world hope for the best.

June 15, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • the squirrel

Christians love to call names and belittle others. they think that's the way to heaven. amen.

June 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  15. Xuxun

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Jesus is real and died on the cross for the sins of the world. God offer HIs Son to die for the sin of the world. That's right, sin does not exist in the world anymore, and God does not make mistakes!!

June 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  16. Sherry Y

I don't know where all this hartred for Sara Palin comes from. You never see the media go thought Obama's e-mails or demand them from his days as an IL senator or as a US senator. You people that espouse such hate have no sence of right or wrong and don't care for anybody but yourself. Sara Palin has handled the media and haters with such grace and humility ant that is what you all can't stand. She doesn't fit she is an orginal person that loves God first and family and country. She put our country first and turly knows what freedom means.

June 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • R. Diane

AMEN

June 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • Jake

Read all past political tickers on her please, you'll see she is far from graceful and humble in her replys. People don't like Sarah because they don't trust her abilities as a political figure and leader. In other words, she should not be in the political scene.

June 15, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • deb

Are you kidding me? Sarah is the most divisive person on the planet! They may not have read Obama's emails but they've harped and harped on his birth status even after it was proven that he's a U.S. citizen born in Hawaii. Sarah hasn't handled anything with "grace". She's defensive, egotistical, greedy and just plain mean! This whole "God" email thing sounds nice on one level but where is she? She isn't rearing this child! What a hypocrite. She's too busy running off at the mouth and traveling all over the country doing nothing, offering nothing but negative comments about liberals and/or Obama, never once offering any kind of solutions to the problems the Republican White House left Obama!

June 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • the squirrel

Sherry Y,

besides listening to Fox News, have you ever had any schooling at all? Your spelling and grammar suck... just sayin.

June 15, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • MizMc

Are you deliberately forgetting the demands for a long form birth certificate? Hatred is on both sides of the isles – disgusting no matter your party affiliation.

June 15, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • Stevie7

"You never see the media go thought Obama's e-mails or demand them from his days as an IL senator or as a US senator."

Well, the media just did what any of us can do – submit a Freedom of Information Act request. If you don't like the the media hasn't looked into Obama's e-mails, put your money where your mouth is and submit the request yourself.

And how, exactly, was she putting her country first when she quit on her const-ituents to chase the almighty dollar?

June 15, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • Chartreux

Really? So all the crapola about whether he was born in HI or in Kenya didn't really happen, right?

Your lovely Sarah is hateful, spiteful, and she's promoted divisiveness in this country. Has she solved a single problem Bush left us with? No, all she does is zing pot shots at President Obama. How is she helping us? Her fifteen minutes of fame are over but she isn't willing to let them go.

June 15, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  17. Stacy H

Please just go away!!! please!!!!

June 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  18. God Himself

My dear, wonderful children,

Even your made up religious texts tell you that my will, intentions and motivations are beyond your comprehension, so please stop trying to guess. Aside from that fact, all of your religions are wrong. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was actually closest to my message, so with love I say be excellent to each other.

Love always,
    God

P.S. Please stop praying about things like parking spaces and American Idol. You're drowning out the people praying for peace and cures to diseases.

June 15, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  19. Chesh Cartesian

I would leave notes to my kids from Santa every year in a Dr. Seusesque ryme scheme – what's the difference – I can't stand Sarah Palin, but this is NOT news worthy.

Next...

June 15, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • MizMc

I quite agree. Actually, I also impersonate my son in birthday cards every time we go to a kid's birthday party and take a gift. I detest many of the things Sarah Palin stands for and what she represents, but that is plain ridiculous.

June 15, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  20. fundies

she's blessed with a nice rack and juicy lips.

June 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • the squirrel

they're too big and long (the rack, that is) Her lips are thin. She's an old woman for crying out loud and she is EVIL.

June 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm |