home
RSS
June 24th, 2011

Explain it to me: Mormonism

With two Mormons running for the Republican presidential nomination and a play riffing on the religion tearing up Broadway, the country appears to be having a Mormon moment.

Here are 10 facts about Mormonism. What other questions do you have about the faith?

1. The official name of the Mormon church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

2. Mormons consider themselves Christian but their beliefs and practices differ from traditional Christianity in key ways, including belief in sacred texts outside the Bible and practices like posthumous proxy baptism and wearing special undergarments.

3. There are about 14 million Mormons today, with more than half living outside the United States.

4.  The Mormon religion was founded in upstate New York in 1830, when Joseph Smith published a translation of writings he said he found and translated from Egyptian-style hieroglyphics into English.  That's the Book of Mormon, which believers say consists of writings produced by ancient American civilizations.

5. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has outlawed polygamy since 1890.

6. Early Mormons faced intense persecution, so church headquarters relocated from New York to Missouri to Illinois in rapid succession. Joseph Smith was killed by a mob in Illinois. His successor, Brigham Young, led early Mormons to the Great Salt Lake in what's now Utah, where church headquarters remains.

7. Mormon men are expected to perform two years of missionary work beginning when they're 19 years old. Women can also do missionary work when they turn 21, but there is less pressure to do so.

8. Famous Mormons include J.W. Marriott, founder of the hotel chain, Glenn Beck and Gladys Knight, a convert.

9. Jon Huntsman and Mitt Romney represent different generations of Mormonism that have related pretty differently to American culture.

10. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is running some major ad campaigns to take advantage of burgeoning interest in the religion.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mormonism

soundoff (3,741 Responses)
  1. Sally

I don't see anything wrong with what he said. I have read the histories written about the LDS Church written by non-LDS authors and I have read the accounts published by the LDS church. Just because we worship differently doesn't mean we are wrong. I don't see what is wrong with encouraging people to believe in a merciful God or that His son Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. Even Joel Osteen in 2007 said that even though Mormon beliefs may be different, if public figures like Mitt Romney are standing up for their faith in Christ and encouraging others to do the same, then we share a common bond with all Christians all over the world. Getting caught up in petty and inaccurate details are not worth the time of any intelligent person to obsess over. Rather than making accusation about what the Latter-day Saints ie the Mormons believe, why don't you try asking he or she what they believes. It is not a church for perfect people, and we certainly do not condone hypocrisy. But like all religions, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints seeks to make bad men and women good, and good men and women better.

June 24, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  2. Suzanne

1. Joseph Smith was accused and tried for being a conman several years prior to him "discovering" the ancient "golden tablets and golden glasses". He was a conman, plain and simple.

2. He sent a sample, via another person, of the "text" that he found to a renknowned language authority...who wrote a letter stating that he "told the person that the text was fake and advised him to not have anything more to do with the scam that Smith was conducting". That letter is on file at the Smithsonian.

3. Polygamy was NOT in the original "text". It was added AFTER Smith was married but met another woman who caught his eye. Hmmm.....

Let's face it. Mormonism is THE most widespread CON that America has ever experienced.

June 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • tommas

All religions are a con, this is just a newer one

June 24, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Sally

Charles Anton of Columbia University gave Martin Harris a certificate authenticating the characters from the golden plates. When Anton asked where this book was and if he could see it, Harris told him the Smith, an uneducated farm boy, was translating the book by the power of God. Anton asked for the certificate back, tore it in pieces and then told Harris to disassociate with Smith.

As for polygamy, that commandment is recorded by Joseph Smith as perhaps one of the hardest for him to obey as well as other church leaders. I could be wrong, but I think there are a few prophets, like Abraham and Jacob, in the Bible who had multiple wives. I don't see anywhere that God punished them. In fact, I am pretty sure Abraham was promised many great blessings. But I'm not a religious expert. I'm a Historian.

June 24, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  3. sfcanative

The Mormon church of today is not the church of Joseph Smith or Brigham Young. Not to say that their church in the 1800's was relevant either. The Book of Mormon contains hundreds of changes from its original text, Why? It contained obvious contradictions, bigotry of its author, etc. (i.e. what happened to the scripture that says the American Indian would turn white once they accepted the 'restored' gospel?) The temple ceremony is dramatically different from the original "revealed" ceremony. Why? It's an adaptation of the Masonic temple's ceremony right down to the handshakes and garment symbols. Why was the threat of throat slitting and disembowelment for revealing temple secrets removed from the temple ceremony in 1990?

Mormon history is filled with written commentary from its prophets that the priesthood would not be given to decendants of Cain (those of African descent) until all of mankind had an opporutnity to hear and accept the 'restored' gospel. All of mankind hasn't even been born yet. Why was the priesthood given to blacks? Answer: A pending discrimination lawsuit that would have cost the Mormon church dearly since blacks were denied leadership positions in the Boy Scouts of America and the IRS was prepared to revoke their nonprofit status for violating federal anti-discrimination laws.

You people don't even know your sordid history which would help you realize the capitalist organization you embrace is a creation of man, run by businessmen . . .and lets throw in a healthy dose of religion so we don't lose our nonprofit status.

Want to hear more? Of course you don't. Your mind is made up just like 99.97% of Americans who don't embrace your ways and 99.9874% of the world who don't accept your beliefs. You are a PECULIAR people just as the scriptures say in a dozen places. You're not like us and we don't want to be like you. Enough with the stupid ads. Spend the advertising dollars on something worthwhile. Oh, that's right, the 'brethren' are buying goodwill in the media industry so your church will get more favorable press coverage

June 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • John

That's quite a rant. Why are you so emotionally invested in this? What have they done to hurt you? Why is it so important to you that you get people to believe your (not so original or new) lies about their doctrine? People have hated and persecuted Mormon's since they came into existence, yet the church has only grown in size. The most bitter anti-mormons were convinced the religion would die as soon as they killed Joseph Smith. They were as wrong. Ever wonder why that is?

June 24, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
    • Tim

John, is it because Brigham Young was brought in on the con, saw how much opportunity for $$ and power there is behind a major religion, and kept the crazy train rolling?

Lets all roll up our sleeves, air up the tires in the ol' schwinn, and go-a Proselytizing!

June 24, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
  4. Only sheep need a shepherd

Faith definition-" Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence."

People who need religion; (sheep)
    1. weak
    2. desperate

Have fun with your magic undies, tardss.

June 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • heyitsme

Keep telling yourself that. Maybe it will sink in and become truth.

June 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • kormallain

Kind of like that religious mumbo jumbo. Keep telling your self that, when it sinks in, it will become the truth.

June 24, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • heyitsme

Actually, I am getting what I need from it. Why does that bother you so very much. You do see me acting stupid about it, so why are you? why is it soo upsetting to you that someone prays and gets what they need, be it comfort or whatever. I fail to see how that affects you at all.....

June 24, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
    • Segev Stormlord

The idea that there might be a "right" and "wrong" greater than one's own private whims and there might be a wise and correct way to do things in order to achieve maximum happiness for oneself and others is frightening to some people. Christ Himself said, and I paraphrase, "You call my words hard against you, but I tell you, were you righteous, you would not find my words to be hard." I sometimes wonder if the people who are most hateful towards others who choose not to live in self-indulgent and sinful ways hate them because they know, deep down, that they, too, would be happier if they could give up their vices.

June 27, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  5. JP

May God grant all of You peace. As an investigator to the LDS Church, I have experience many things that far surpass anything I've ever gained from my Catholic and Benedictine background. I still have questions about such things as "exaltation", the Holy Trinity as one Godhead, and the lack of credit given to Mary, the Mother of Jesus. I have lived and gone to school in a "mormom" town. All I ever received from the kids my age who were member of the LDS Church, was respect, friendship, fun, and a very heartfelt acceptance from them. If You care investigate. If You want to blather on about something You do not know of, feel free. When I choose to attend Church, I am not dis-allowed into any meeting I care to attend. I am, in fact, greatly encouraged to do so. It is my belief that those young men who are out on missions are Gods own messengers. Yes, some are pushy, and are almost as self-righteous as myself, but I have always tried to have an open mind and heart in life. All of them believe in serving God by doing what I believe is the most important work in this world; proclaiming the Gospel to those who have not had the opportunity to hear it. There are few mainstream churches that do what the LDS Church does in this respect. When they began to visit us, I listened. They listened right back. When I asked them about the above referenced doubts of mine, they gave me as honest an answer that they could. Again, not always satisfying. But if you are in this world to be self-satisfied, you are wasting your precious time you do have here, regardless of your belief in an afterlife or not.

June 24, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • Segev Stormlord

A great deal of credit is given to Mary: in order to be a worthy mother to the literally physical Son of God, she had to be an exemplary woman. She and Joseph, both, had to be marvelously good people in order to raise this Boy to become the Man He would need to be. Just look at the tales surrounding His birth, at how faithful and trusting in God's commands must the two of them have been. "Exaltation" is simply achieving perfection through diligent adherence to Christ's teachings and fervent repentance of our sins, forsaking them forevermore and being cleansed of them by the power of Christ's infinite Atonement. It is becoming pure and unspotted before God. (It's not easy, but thanks to Christ's Atoning sacrifice, it is possible. And God and Christ would love to have every last one of us do it; the entirety of God's purpose in His churche is to help us get there.)

We don't see Mary as being inherently divine (though it is both possible and likely she was one of those who were, are, or already have become closest to perfection).

June 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
  6. heyitsme

I guess I'm not getting what all the fuss is about. I'm Catholic. I have friends that are Mormons – they are great people. Sure we have the stupid debate all the time about reglion, but we never get it get in the way of who we are in the end. This paranoia is extreme............. I think when most people hear *mormon* they think Guys with 10 wives, and that's a shame...

June 24, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • kormallain

Are you saying a debate about religion is stupid? Or religion? A man walking down a road, is looking up and praying. He trips over a rock. He gets up and says:" The lord has meant for me to fall." Did he really?, or is he so stupid, that he doesn't watch where he is walking.

June 24, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • heyitsme

Your example makes zero sense, however, because i know you do not follow nor believe, i can see why you fail to make a comarable instance. Someone looking up at the sky and praying that falls over a rock – God/Jesus – whatever – has NOTHING to do wiht the rock, nor your tripping. Now to get back to my comment – there are a lot of comments here that pit Catholics or Christians against Mormons, and my point is – being a Catholic, and great friends with a Mormon, it's shear uneducation that causes such reactions. To be or not be friends with someone, baised on religion, I would say you need to go back and re-read how you are supposed to act around ppl, because it's very hipocritical to claim to be *reliogious* and belittle someone else over their beliefs.

June 24, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
  7. Badpav

Everyone keeps talking about South Park. What was incorrect about their summation?

June 24, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  8. Drooberts F

The standard for you has been raised. The trump has sounded clear and terrible. The battle lines have been drawn. Lucifer’s army is marshalled in ranks of evil and satanic forces. Their battle cry is fearful. Their cause is destruction, sin, death, and hell. They have only one cause, and all the powers of evil on earth and in hell are combining against the band of Christians.

But the Lord has sent forth the greatest and mightiest leaders of all time, and he counsels us, “Let my army become very great, and let it be sanctified before me, that it may become fair as the sun, and clear as the moon, and that her banners may be terrible unto all nations.”

June 24, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • kormallain

Damnit Jim, I'm a doctor not a bricklayer! Bones 1:15

June 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • Peace2All

@kormallain

"Damnit Jim, I'm a doctor not a bricklayer! Bones 1:15"

LMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!!! 😀 Love it !

Peace...

June 24, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  9. kormallain

Explaining Mormonism, I think you would have better luck explaining bigfoot. I'm with Tolstoy, who said: I don't like Churches. They all pretend to know what god has to say."

June 24, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • heyitsme

Boy are you seriously mislead.

June 24, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • kormallain

Sorry, I might be wrong, I'm sure there is an explanation for bigfoot.

June 24, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • heyitsme

You're right, there is a great explaination for Big Foot – its a guy in a suit. To say that you go to Church because they have all the answers is spoken like a true person that doesn't know what they are talking about. I bet you think you can pick up the bible and simply *read* it too, don't ya?

June 24, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  10. justwondering

Why is it omitted that the Mormons were horse thieves in Illinois and would pack the courts with women to protect their men so "indecent" charges were not read because it would be offensive to women? Lincoln had to deal with this when he was a lawyer in Springfield, IL.

June 24, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • Lee

I write fiction, your not too bad. Your comments have nothing in common with the truth.

June 24, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
  11. Jake

Mormons are no more Christians than an Atheist is. If you don't believe Christ, God and the Holy Spirit are all one, you're not a Christian. Mormons believe Christ was a prophet and not fully God. Therefore their religion is heretical from a Christian point of view. It's really that simple. They've been pretty successful at deceiving people into believing that it really is just another denomination of Christianity though. Not fooling me.

June 24, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • buckybadger

That is your interpretation of what a Christian is. That may not be everyone's. Your church doesn't get to define that.

June 24, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • Eric G

Well said Jake. I am sure that you being a "true Christian" explains why you are not easily fooled.

June 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • Chris

Jake, many Christians believe the Holy Trinity are three, separate beings. As for Christ being SOLELY a prophet, that isn't true. Why do i say this... well, they have an official website LDS.ORG and it explains what they believe. Go visit it and learn about what they believe in and then talk about the Church.

June 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • Daniel

Christians are so funny. You guys all believe different stuff and believe everyone else is wrong. Baaaa! Baaaaaaaaa!

June 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • Brian

I'm a Mormon, and you are factually wrong on everything you've said.

June 24, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • Reader

Excuse me? I'm not a Mormon, but believing in the Trinity in NOT Christian – so don't pass that off as a standard for true Chritianity. God, his son, and the holy spirit are all seperate and no where in the bible does it say that they are one. Christian follow the teachings of Christ.

June 24, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • Lee

Your knowledge of Mormonism is incorrect, Jesus is considered a God by Mormons

June 24, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • RIch

No his church doesnt get to determine what a christian is, but the bible does. And they are clearly living outside of the faith.

June 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
    • funkylovemonkey

Mormon's don't believe that Jesus was a prophet, they believe he was the Son of God, the Creator, Jehovah of the Old Testament, and the savior of all mankind. While it's true that Mormon's don't believe in the Nicene or Athanasian Creed, neither did much of Christianity until Constantine did his best to unify Christianity in a cynical ploy to use Christianity as a political tool 300 years after the death of Christ.

June 24, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Jake

Hey -Jake...

Whooa... not so fast. I think your statement may smack of a 'lost performative' error. I would ask according to whom...? I would suggest that the Christians that 'don't' believe the 3 in 1 model may take serious issue with you regarding your overt claim that the only 'real' Christians, are people who hold to the 3 in 1 doctrine.

I'm 'not' a Christian... and i am certainly open to being wrong here, and I've seen a number of people who are Christians that don't hold to that claim.

So, some of the questions again becomes... Who decides who is Christian and who isn't...? And, if you claim your version of scriptural interpretation over another's, who is right...? According to whom...?

By what criteria is someone or governing body given the 'ultimate authority' to claim this 'is' what a Christian believes, and this 'isn't' what a Christian believes.

Just some observations... maybe some of the Christians on the blogs here can comment to all of this.

Respectfully,

Peace...

June 24, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • Eric G

@Peace2All: Well said, my friend.

But.........

You asked "who decides who is a real Christian?"

Well, I do. I got the job last week. Decent pay, but really good health care. Unfortunately, I have to work alot of Sundays.

June 24, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
    • JeffB

Ok I am a Ex-communicated Mormon. LDS (Mormons) believe Jesus was the Christ.. period. They have skeletons but no more than any religion. Organized Religion is ran by man. Evangelistic Christians believe so many things that sound no more crazy than what Mormon or Catholic Chsistians believe. The Bible is full of polygamists and outlandish stories. I judge people by how they treat others. My only dislike is haters.

June 24, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Eric G

LOL !!! 😀

Peace...

June 24, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  12. Adron

This article is just too good lol. Three quick points:
    1. One cannot argue faith with non believers, trust me, they just think we’re all crazy; it’s really a waste of time. Spreading the gospel does not mean to argue, or call people stupid, or say they are possessed.
    2. All religions require an introspective look; one must hear the ideas of that religion and ask themselves the personal question: “do I believe this”.
    3. Christianity, unlike the natural word requires believing before seeing. Once a person really believes, God will show himself to them (in a way). A person will not see God if they only partly believe or only believe because that is the way they grew up.

Post is meant for Christian, so save your religious nut comments haha.

That is all. 🙂

June 24, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • SDFrankie

Hahaha! Too funny. It's the same with leprechauns. You have to believe in them or else they don't seem to exist. But once you believe...they're everywhere. Sentence first. Verdict afterwards.

June 24, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
    • Lee

Good Adron, right on point.

June 24, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • Eric G

"All religions require an introspective look; one must hear the ideas of that religion and ask themselves the personal question: “do I believe this”."

I disagree.

Your beliefs form your actions. Your actions must be based on as much accurate and verifiably factual information as possible.

I would ask "what evidence does the religion present to support it's claims?".

June 24, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  13. Michael

CNN -Thanks for this article! I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints...it is about time we get some fair reporting. I can live with the picture of the RLDS, because most of your facts were true and not tainted. The nick-name of our church "Mormons" tends to draw peope away from who were are and who we are trying to become, thank you for pointing this out. Our goal is to become more like our Savior Jesus Christ, hence we partake of the sacrament every week in church to take his name upon us always remember him...that we may always have his spirit to be with us. To say that we don't believe and worship Jesus Christ is like saying KFC doesn't serve chicken. I laugh harder each time I read some of these comments so instead of getting all worked up about it I included the actual 13 Articles of Faith that our faith believes:

1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Joseph Smith.

Oh, and by the way I do think for myself.

June 24, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • Tom

We believe in brainwashing people by requiring that they go to church 3 hours every sunday, then are visited by a home teacher every sunday. We believe in forcing children to sing our brainwashing primary songs. We believe in making the youth also throw away one weeknight every week to attend mutual (youth meetings). We also believe in making high school aged kids attend seminary. We believe in pressuring young 19 year olds into committing two years of their lives to further brainwash. We believe that by ramming so much sh1t down your throats that you will be brainwashed to the point you will never doubt our church.

June 24, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • Daniel

We also believe in hiding child molestation, preferring to deal with it within the church. Because that worked so well for the Catholics.

June 24, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
    • Ben

Tom, I feel sorry for you. You can call it whatever you want, but all that "brainwashing" has what effect? To help people lead happier, more successful lives. The bottom line, as I'm sure you're aware, is that no one is forcing you to do anything. Period.

June 24, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  14. John

This "religon" was INVENTED by someone who claims he was the ONLY person that could read hieroglyphics...READ THAT TWICE AND THINK ABOUT IT

June 24, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • buckybadger

And this is different than other religions how? Sorry all of them where invented by someone writing a book who said they had the answers or had talked to a higher power. There story is no more unbelievable than anyone else's.

June 24, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • Ben

He never claimed any such thing. Read the book, then tell me how he "made it up". Many people have tried to discredit it, they have all failed, so they have to try other methods of attack, including, but not limited to lying about it. The book is real, tangible evidence, another witness, that the Bible is true. I suggest you read it before you criticize it.

June 24, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  15. Janice

I'm a baptist and highly respect the mormons. They are about as Christian as you can get. I have some dear friends who belong to their church. They are some of the best women I know.

June 24, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • Jennie

I wish there was a like button! Thanks!

June 24, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • walkngboots

Your summation of your commonality with LDS (as a Baptist) shows what your actual religion might be... not the flights-of-fancy most call doctrinal stances on this, that or the other angels, rites, or gods: You seek to find what is common in your religions to produce "The best women I know". As a Baptist (I was reared as one), your beliefs and that of your LDS friends leaves them without a prayer when it comes to a literal interpretation of your Bible. They believe they must add to what your faith believes is the absolute only work and word of God. But you can ignore this, because none of that... not hell or anyone is more important that women doing what they're supposed to do. And that's just about what religion's good for... keeping some people in one "right" place and others somewhere else. It's just another way of arranging and ordering social order, with supposed sacred sanction.

Power and control drive religion, period. And when this fits with who you are, it won't matter what form of doctrine or political system promises to bring it... you'll accept it as a "good thing" regardless who loses their personal rights and autonomy.

June 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  16. Me

Like a stone cut out of the mountain without hands... until it fills the whole earth!

June 24, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  17. Emily

I agree jake. These people are really devoted religious people who look for ways to help those around them. My co-worker here at Pixar is LDS. She is awesome! I have nothing against the mormons!

June 24, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  18. Erin

CNN, thanks for a fair look at the LDS religion. Too many people have made false assumptions and then perpetuated them. I'm sure the LDS appreciate your honest treatment of them and that you care enough to set the record straight for many who misunderstand the religion.

There are imperfect people in every religion and, sadly, that can contribute to people making assumptions about the entire LDS membership based on the actions of a few. The majority of LDS people live honest, clean lives and do their best to live as they believe is right. If they are making the world a better place, why tear them down? Live and let live.

June 24, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  19. GodIsDead

Here, Ill explain it to you: Mormonism, just like all religions, is complete and utter BS made up by someone for the purposes of manipulation of the mind and the wallet. The sooner religion dies out then the happier humanity will be.

June 24, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • glyder

your not going to see that.you will see some of what you want,but only for a short time.and then you will see.

June 24, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • Katie K

@ GodIsDead

Exactly...so disturbing that people just don't see it.

June 24, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • EvangelizeMuch

You seem almost evangelical in your zeal to convince people there is no God. I wonder why that is?

June 24, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • LiveAndLetLive

How exactly is it so "disturbing" that people go about trying to help others and do good? How, exactly, are they hurting you?

June 24, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • Daniel

Because its frustrating to see so many peoples lives ruined in the name of a god that doesnt exist, EvangelizeMuch.

And you can do good for mankind because you want to do good for mankind, LiveAndLetLive, you dont need to do it because some imaginary being is going to give you a high five when youre done in this life.

June 24, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • Believe

And you know there is no God how? Have you died and returned? You are incredibly bitter and sad. I suppose you think you are the most important being in existence. Try looking beyond yourself. I truly feel sorry for you and am glad that God does exist, so that you can be forgiven. Whether you like it or not, God loves you.

June 25, 2011 at 9:07 am |
  20. jake

my sister in law is mormon and I have to say, she is one of the sweetest people i have ever met. great people and devoted Christians.

June 24, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • Artist

And the single ones are not bad in the sack I might add. Some of my fondest memories is when I went skiing in Utah. 🙂

June 24, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • jim

just walk outside look at Nature and the human Body
      If you think our world just created itself without some thought
      Your the one who is really missing something

June 24, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • Toosliq

It's much easier to be devoted and nice etc when you believe you're going to be a god or goddess as a reward.

June 24, 2011 at 5:08 pm |