home
RSS
June 24th, 2011

Explain it to me: Mormonism

With two Mormons running for the Republican presidential nomination and a play riffing on the religion tearing up Broadway, the country appears to be having a Mormon moment.

Here are 10 facts about Mormonism. What other questions do you have about the faith?

1. The official name of the Mormon church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

2. Mormons consider themselves Christian but their beliefs and practices differ from traditional Christianity in key ways, including belief in sacred texts outside the Bible and practices like posthumous proxy baptism and wearing special undergarments.

3. There are about 14 million Mormons today, with more than half living outside the United States.

4.  The Mormon religion was founded in upstate New York in 1830, when Joseph Smith published a translation of writings he said he found and translated from Egyptian-style hieroglyphics into English.  That's the Book of Mormon, which believers say consists of writings produced by ancient American civilizations.

5. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has outlawed polygamy since 1890.

6. Early Mormons faced intense persecution, so church headquarters relocated from New York to Missouri to Illinois in rapid succession. Joseph Smith was killed by a mob in Illinois. His successor, Brigham Young, led early Mormons to the Great Salt Lake in what's now Utah, where church headquarters remains.

7. Mormon men are expected to perform two years of missionary work beginning when they're 19 years old. Women can also do missionary work when they turn 21, but there is less pressure to do so.

8. Famous Mormons include J.W. Marriott, founder of the hotel chain, Glenn Beck and Gladys Knight, a convert.

9. Jon Huntsman and Mitt Romney represent different generations of Mormonism that have related pretty differently to American culture.

10. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is running some major ad campaigns to take advantage of burgeoning interest in the religion.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mormonism

soundoff (3,741 Responses)
  1. funky

Not sure on the beliefs part, but for the Mormons I do know, they don't dress anything like that. why don't you change the image and be accurate for a change

June 24, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • nicole

Why dont watch the video and then you will understand the picture they are showing

June 24, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • CAPRO.info

Since you're not sure what Mormonism teaches, please see the following, particularly the article: What is Mormonism?

June 24, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • Floyd Johnson

I thought the same thing. The picture is actually the FLDS Church, not the Mormon Church. It was not clearly identified.

June 24, 2011 at 9:22 pm |
    • A_MUSING

Keep in mind the FACT that it was LDS church that broke away from the FLDS .... not the other way around, this is historically supported.

June 27, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
    • RRSJD

A Musing: Wrong. . .the FLDS Church is a fairly recent offshoot from the historic LDS Church.

June 28, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
    • GROWBls

the best way to know what its all about is talking to someone who goes to church, is not flaky about it, and who tries to follow the word of God

October 8, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  2. HDK

Mormons do not allow children who are not Mormon to play with their kids, they also are very clicky and typically are NOT liked by most of their neighbors. If your child should happen to marry a mormon they will have to convert and mommy and daddy will not be allowed to go to the wedding because they are not mormon. The men are EXTREMELY chauvinistic towards woman. Woman are just baby factories and have to be subservient to their husbands, which they usually marry as teenagers. To me this is a cult and any SANE American would never vote for someone like this for government. They are not even allowed to question the insanity of their Religion...oh so someone "suddenly" had a revelation about polygamy. When has God ever taken back a commandment. People, really, please....Oh that's right, you are not allowe to question your religion. Duhh!! It's a sham..

June 24, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • DLC

I just decided my kids can't play at your house.

June 24, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Steven

Wow, have you ever met a Mormon? In all my years of being Mormon my kids play with all types of different kids from all different religions. You probably think we have horns on our head too.

June 24, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • The Lorax

@HDK – I am a Mormon woman. I am getting my Master's degree. I make more than my husband. I only have 2 kids. My kids have MANY friends that are not Mormon. I have many friends that are not LDS. I did not HAVE to convert when I married a Mormon. I know several couples that have been married for decades and one is a member and the other is not. (not like the Catholics that require conversion and to sign a contract to raise any kids Catholic) . The men are told to honor and respect their wives. If they are suspected of abuse, they will be questioned by church authorities.
      In the OT, it states you can take and eye for an eye, but the NT negates that, says turn the other cheek – He took it back....(one example)
      There are alot of people out there that hate Mormons and will tell their followers all kinds of junk like what you wrote. Think and research for yourself please.

June 24, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • HDK

Truth hurts I know...anyone who lives in neighborhoods with predominantly mormon famlies know that their children are often excluded. Happens all the time. If you live anywhere in Arizona, Utah (duh), or Colorado, just to name a few states with a large percentage of Mormon families everyone will say the same. It's like the Stepford famlies...granted not everyone is like this but it has been our experience the more likely than not you do DISCRIMINATE against pretty much everyone who isn't Mormon. That is true!

June 24, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Kayde

As a Mormon woman, I cannot stand by and let your comment be read by other people....you are truly igrorant. I have been a member all my life. I did not get married as a teen....instead in my late 20s. I only have 2 kids and will not have any more. I work full time and my husband does most of the housework, even though he also works full time. I am not subservient to him and the thought has never crossed my mind. Many Mormon women are similar to me. The truth is that the men are counseleld to treat their wives as partners and if they force their wives to be subservient to them, they could be reprimanded and lose their standing in the church. I let my kids play with non members all the time. I also encourage them to question their beliefs so that they can discover the truth on their own. That is how I was taught as well.

June 24, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Jake

Just curious. What do the 2 Mormon women (who seem very well adjusted) think of the "polygamy in the afterlife" concept. Are you okay with your husband taking more than one wife in the afterlife?

June 24, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • creg

I agree with you HDK, If you are not a Mormon, than you are no good, that is how I felt with everyone I have come in contact with. In my opinion are trying to create a "super human race" with the woman be baby factories. Does that sound another group of people from the past. Mormons are brain washed, as most other religions are

June 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • LgMcB

@The Lorax

FYI... Catholicism doesn't REQUIRE people to convert to marry, nor sign "a contract" to raise children catholic. The best way to defend your beliefs is not to attack others, especially ones you don't actually have a first hand knowledge of.

June 24, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • Dave

All I have to say is, I'm sorry for any bad experiences you may have had, but as a Mormon and father of 2, I have many Non-Mormon friends, and so do my children. To draw from your experiences and try to generalize conclusions for everyone else is by itself bad research. You are a Case Report. No evidence can be proven from a single incident. Others have already indicated how wrong your assumptions are. Like DLC, I've decided my kids cant play at your house.

June 24, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • The Real Tom Paine

@ the Lorax and Kayde:

Unfortunately, there are situations like the one HDK described. Its great that you have raised you kids in the sane and nurturing way, and you also chose to devlop your God-given talents in a positive way, but you know as well as I do that there are plenty of situations like the one HDK described. I think there is a culture int eh Church that is exclusive, but I do feel that is changing. I think its great you have made the choices you have to be in the world, but I can tell you there are plenty of people that would live a like like what HDK describes. I had that experience with LDS myself.

June 24, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • John Do

@hdk: Unbelievable what lies you tell.

**Mormons do not allow children who are not Mormon to play with their kids, they also are very clicky and typically are NOT liked by most of their neighbors.**Not true. My kids play with all kids. Nobody cares if we're Mormon, otherwise if your that superficial we don't want you as a friend anyway.
      **If your child should happen to marry a mormon they will have to convert and mommy and daddy will not be allowed to go to the wedding because they are not mormon.** Not true, what a joke.
      **The men are EXTREMELY chauvinistic towards woman. Not true-I totally respect my wife as do all men I know.
      **Woman are just baby factories and have to be subservient to their husbands, which they usually marry as teenagers. Not true, my wife is DEFINITELY NOT subservient to me.
      **To me this is a cult (not true) and any SANE American would never vote for someone like this for government. YOUR OPINION only
      **They are not even allowed to question the insanity of their Religion...oh so someone "suddenly" had a revelation about polygamy. Not true, as a converted Mormon I question things all the time.
      **Duhh!! It's a sham.. Only in your twisted mind.

Stop being so frightened by what you obviously do NOT understand.

June 24, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • Wade Wilson

@HDK I live in a Utah Mormon neighborhood never been discriminated against and my boy plays with everyone in the neighborhood. Did you actually go out and meet your neighbors or did you wait on the sidelines to be included hoping the your neighbors would give you the attention you obviously crave?

June 24, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
    • Melissa

You asked when God has taken back a commandment. It happened with Moses. After Moses saw the golden calf and wickedness of his people, he broke the original higher law. He went back up the mountain and came back down with the lesser law – the 10 Commandments, an appropriate law for a lesser evolved people.

June 24, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • heyitsme

I'm Catholic and have Mormon friends – our kids inter-mingle. I don't see the problem, they are ppl just like you are.....

June 24, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • Toby

Living in Utah, I've met hundreds of Mormons and I must say your assessment is spot on. Sure, some are a bit more "liberal" than others, but one thing they do NOT do (my personal observation) is allow their children to play with your kids if you are not of their faith. Like all "mainstream religions", Mormonism was once seen as a cult (and still is by those who profess beliefs in other religious faiths) but has become more emasculated as our society has become more secular. As for the tenants of the Mormon faith being "nutty", they are no more so than any other religion (virgin birth, walking on water, raising the dead, created earth in 6 days, water into wine, levitation without aid of technology, etc). These ideas don't seem so crazy when you have been indoctrinated into them at a very young age. Peace.

June 24, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
    • Rima

My LDS teen kids are friends with everyone but are only allowed to hang out with friends that have their same standards. Addicted to or selling drugs? Sorry, can't hang out with you (LDS, Buddhist, Agnostic, etc.). My kids have best friends that are not LDS because they are great people.

June 24, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
    • MW

Growing up in a small, mostly mormon town my parents sent me to another religion's bible camp every summer just so I could make friends with kids who weren't mormon. I got married at 22 to a man who respects me immensely and treats me wonderfully. 5 years later we have no children, but someday plan to have them, perhaps when I complete my masters degree. The things you wrote are ignorant and wrong. There are dozens of sources where you could look to find correct information about mormons. Try lds.org and mormon.org!

June 24, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • Jack

I don't want to be rude, but this is truly the dumbest thing I've every read. I grew up in Idaho, surrounded by Mormons and for the most part, they are very nice people. A little pushy? Yeah, probably....but what religion isn't?

I married a mormon woman 18 years ago and guess what? I'm not Mormon, don't go to church and don't have garments. And our marriage is fantastic. I don't believe in most of their teachings, but it hasn't stopped us from living a great life while raising 3 great kids.

You may have encountered a type of mormon clique in your neighborhood – just like the Duke clique in mine....or the rich kids at school. It happens, and it's about people, not a religion.

So please do yourself a favor and live and let live.

June 24, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • abukwrm

I do not believe in any religion – in fact, as an outsider they all have their quirky problems but don't get me started on that. I had to comment though because I disagree with what you said about LDS families not allowing their kids to play with non – LDS kids. My husband is in the military and we have had the opportunity to move around and meet all kinds of people. 20 years ago, while living in LA, I met a wonderful LDS family. We became friends because my kids played with their kids. Over the many years we have kept in touch and to this day I think of them as one of the nicest families I have ever met.

June 24, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • Muneef

How funny when seeing a Christian religion path is being accused of things which are not part of it's living culture...? Guess Islam was a victim of accusations in the same way....!

June 24, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
    • NON LDS in UT

As a non-Mormon living in Utah, I can safely and accurately say that none of this is true. I grew up playing with Mormon neighbors, have Catholic friends married to Mormons, the Mormon parens attended the weddings, etc. By separating yourself from the LDS church in such a blatent manor, some would say that makes you the 'clicky' one. In fact, most LDS I encounter look for what qualities we share in our beliefs rather than what separates us.

June 24, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
    • Jake

I grew up and still live in Utah. I only played with Mormons growing up and was encouraged to do so. I did grow up in Utah Country, which is Mormon Central. Though most of it was probably due to all of the social activies that I was involved in within the church and the Mormon friends that I was accustomed to hanging out with. I could definitely see a non-Mormon, in Utah County, struggling to fit in and feel accepted. Though now I live in Salt Lake Valley and it is much different as the Mormon population isn't predominant, whereas in Utah County it seemed as though it was 95% Mormon and 5% other.

June 24, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • ManicZorbian

I'm not a Mormon but can tell from your description that you've never met an actual Mormon. This is the usual nonsense spewed by the folks that believe that every religion other than their own is a cult.

June 24, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
    • Floyd Johnson

Jake – Are you seriously concerned with how Mormons run things in the Afterlife? Let's play nice and get along. The original poster is observing a specific Mormon family (that family did not let their children play with others), not LDS families in general.

June 24, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
    • AKRB

I'm a Mormon (AKA a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.) Most of my best friends are of many faiths/backgrounds. Very few share my religious beliefs. My kids play with kids of all religious backgrounds, races, and cultural backgrounds. My husband is extremely respectful and kind, the best type of man who works hard for both our dreams as I do the same. I am sad that you have been exposed to people who hurt you. I hope you can be convinced that not all people of my faith are hurtful people.

June 24, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
    • FromIdaho

As a woman who has lived in Idaho for 30 years I can say I completely agree with HDK. I have raised my children here and they have been completely excluded from Mormon friends. We had next door neighbors whom I kids wanted to play with. They went over one day and were asked if they were Mormon. When they said no, they were told not to come over any more. This has happened many times to many people I know. Yes there are some Mormons out there who are genuinely nice and open minded. But don't let that fool you. My boyfriend was raised in the Mormon church and abandonded it when he was 20. I have heard many many stories of discrepencies between what they preach and what they actually do and teach their children to do. Most of the Mormons around here are very judgemental, thinking they are better and everyone else is evil.

June 24, 2011 at 11:58 pm |
    • Drew K

I agree, I live in NE mesa where there is a large dominance of LDS I have seen it first hand and lived it. it is usually overt, but as the kids get older they are encouraged to not mingle with outsiders. younger kids there parents do push away kids who are not LDS. They do mingle in sports activities but littel else. In HS they do not usually hang around during study halls they go to the attached seminary buildings to study! (how is this legal by the way?) As an LDS member you may not see it or want to see it but it is definitly there!
      As to not being ablle to attend a wedding I have attended many wedding receptions but as a non LDS member not able to attend the actual service, this is an indisputable fact even if you are the parent of the bride or groom.
      Any religion that chooses excusivity in place of openess is bound to be ridiculed, scorned and face scrutiny as to why!

June 25, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • ldsmom02

That is soooo ludicrous. I am a latter-day saint and my children play with whomever they choose. You are ridiculous.

June 25, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • Thoosa

I'm sorry but that is the funniest, most unrealistic view I've ever heard stated about mormons – I must assume personal experience left you with a bad taste in your mouth and i'm sorry for that, but your overall view is definitely not a clear picture – whether its right or wrong. And of course commandments have changed....Bible: The Lord gives the Israelites the ten commandments...they can't keep them....he gives them the Law of Moses....he comes in person in the New Testament and declares the law of Moses is fulfilled and its time to live higher laws and again gives them the ten commandments. Love or hate the Mormons, but do it for the right reasons.

June 26, 2011 at 10:25 am |
    • Jacosta

HDK – you do a great and harmful disservice towards members of the LDS Church; in your claim, you make it seem like the "LDS" religion teaches its member to not associate with people of other faiths. This is totally inaccurate and wrong and misleading! There may be some in our religion that teach there children to not play or associate with other children – but this is against our standards and doctrine. I have met parents of other Faiths (Catholic, Baptist, AME, etc) that also taught their children the same. This does NOT mean that they're religion condones the practice...it means two parents are grossly teaching wrong values to their kids. The LDS Church does NOT condone such horrible teachings amongst its members. I had to set the record straight here!

June 26, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • Discovega

Your mind wil really twisted...get educated man...you might like it.

June 27, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • A_MUSING

You are correct ... the only reason any mormon may show interest with a non-member (whether a child or an adult) is to be manipulative in order to convert, and when that fails, they alienate themselves from those outside their cult.

June 27, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
    • RRSJD

HDK – you have pretty well hit on every inaccurate stereotype concerning the LDS faith. I won't even try to address each individually as I think most readers will see that you have either gotten bad information or have a personal bias. The same sort of closet bigots came out when JFK was running for office as the first Catholic presidential candidate.

June 28, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
    • PrincessPrshka

To be fair to all the Mormons out there, HDK you are totally right and I love you for it! No, you don't have to convert to marry a mormon, however you will be pressured to endlessly and discriminated aginst because you can't have your souls "sealed for all time and eternity" I lived with this bull s**t for years. Any LDS person who is going to argue against anything in this post needs to go back and read the statements that have come out from the quorum of the elders in the past 5 years. None of this is a secret. Misogyny is rampent in Moromonism and I honestly feel sorry for you if you think you can argue against it.

July 18, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
    • RLM

HDK, as I type this, my Catholic children are playing in the backyard with my LDS neighbors.

October 8, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • hobdy29

" The reason why Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum were killed by a mob that broke into the jail (where they were at)was because Joseph Smith was committing adultery with women (among the followers of his religion) by using his authority as leader of the Mormons. Previous to the time he was in N.Y. state ( where he claimed he found his golden plates) he was kicked out of the freemasons. Some of the same mythology in freemasonry, Joseph Smith incorporated in his new religion.

October 8, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
    • Lindsay

I'm a Mormon who lives in New York City and – guess what? I associate with all different religions and people all the time. Are you shocked, HDK? I have Catholic friends, Protestant friends, Atheist friends, gay friends. Perhaps you had a bad experience with one family – or have never really met a single Mormon in your entire life. Either way, you're making very broad generalizations for a religion of 14 million people. If you don't like the beliefs of the Mormon faith, or think we're weird, that's fine. But nothing bothers me more than when a non-Mormon tells me what it is that I believe or don't believe. Making assumptions based on rumors you've heard is irresponsible. If you went to an LDS church meeting (the buildings all state "vistors welcome") and actually listened and met Mormons, you might be shocked to discover something different about a group of 14 million people than you expected.

October 8, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
    • C57

I don't let my kids play with kids who enjoy fighting, swearing, or smoke, do drugs, drink their mommy's alcohol, or encourage my kids to lie, steal, cheat, and play doctor etc.. That's almost all the kids in the neighborhood.

I will not apologize for that!!!

October 9, 2011 at 1:20 am |
    • Erin

Actually, questioning is a huge part of our faith. Joseph Smith's sacred experience began with a question. Most of mine have also begun with questions. The Book of Mormon, and the Bible, are filled with instruction to ask and seek.

October 9, 2011 at 10:10 am |
    • Anne

My family and I just resigned from the church as converts. We were never so hurt as we were at the LDS church. Much of what HDK says is true. Young girls are groomed in their classes to get married early and marry in the temple. Only worthy Mormons are allowed in the temple. If you marry a non Mormon who converts, their family can't go to the temple being non Mormon. They can't see you get married. Temple marriage is the goal for every young girl as the church teaches that the ONLY way to see your family in heaven is you have to be sealed in the temple and the temple is the only place to do that. They are also groomed to be baby factories. Most Mormons get engaged and are married two months later, they don't believe in long courtships...then the babies come. By far, the majority of Mormon women do that as opposed to those who get an education and those who do get an education, by and far forsake that to bring in spirits from heaven by having baby upon baby. Didn't General Conference just tell these kids to have babies whether they could afford it or not? Don't the GA's of the LDS church upbraid these young folk for putting and education and living life before marrying and having babies? Yes, they do and don't let anyone tell you differently.

October 9, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • Alan

I'm a Mormon, my child plays with non-mormons, and I have many non-mormon friends. I have an amazing wife and I would be very ashamed if I ever treated her less than an equal. I have never heard taught in the church that I should not let my kids play with non-mormons. I have been taught many times to love and treat everyone the way Christ would. I have been taught many times that husband and wife are equal partners.

October 9, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Joe in VA

@HDK,

My children as well play with others. We force no one to convert. We do not make anyone not have a strictly temple wedding and they are free to have a Civil ceremony as well. Our wives are equal not subservient.

Keep reaching for that carrot in front of your blinders your church leaders are feeding you.

October 9, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • Pam

Do you actually know anyone who is Mormon? I do, I live in SLC and am NOT LDS. Where did you get the idea that they won't allow their children to play with non-Mormon children. You are so wrong. What do you mean that they are not liked by there neighbors? I live in a mixed neighborhood as far as religion goes and my LDS neighbors are no eifferent than my other neighbors, Yes, some older generations did have a lot of children but you will find that in many religions...i.e. Catholices. Most of the LDS women I know have advanced college degrees and struggle to balance home and professional life, just like their non LDS friends. I don't konw where you got your info but it is way off base.

October 9, 2011 at 7:52 pm |
    • Pam

One other thought.....just because some Mormons may exclude non Mormon kids does not make that the offical church stand. One thing I've learned living here is that some members take things to extremes. This happens in every religion. I am Catholic and used to date an Italian Catholic. One day his mother went ballistic because her daughter was dating an Irish Catholic. What the heck? So don't attribute every action a member has to official church policy. You are very ignorant of correct information.

October 9, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • steve

Yes the Lord did in fact take back a commandment. You obviously do not know the bible. The Lord commanded Abraham to sacrfice his only son..to kill him. Guess what...the Lord did not require Abraham to carry through with it when he realised Abraham was going to obey him. As far as Mormons being more to their own; that would be in line with the bible where the Lord warned his people to not marry among the pagan neighbors because when people of differing faiths marry, odds are someone's faith will be lost. I certainly would prefer my son to marry in the church than out of it to prevent certain heartache.

October 9, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
    • Mark

HDK has got to be a woman who has been wronged by a man who claimed to be LDS, but didn't live what the church or scriptures taught. Men have the opportunity to hold the Priesthood to make then somewhat equal to their wife. I know hundreds of LDS men who feel the same way I do, and very few who treat their wife like HDK has described, and they are shunned by the majority and are counciled to change their way of thinking! HDK, I want to appoligize to you for the wrongs that were inflicted upon you and hope that you can forgive the one who has wronged you.

June 24, 2012 at 1:36 am |
  3. BarkingFart

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dummmmmmmmb

June 24, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • DLC

funny episode

June 24, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  4. Sean

"..published a translation of writings he said he found and translated from Egyptian-style hieroglyphics into English. That's the Book of Mormon.."

I know many nice Mormons, but unfortunately the Book of Mormon itself is complete make-believe. There's no way around it.

June 24, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • David Robison

As opposed to the Bible which is....?

June 24, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • DLC

Care to opine about the Koran, the Talmud, or the Apocrypha while you are at it? What book of holy teachings do you follow? I'll stick with Jesus, Moses, Nephi and Joseph.

June 24, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • William Lansdowne

Exactly

June 24, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • Aaron

I can understand how on face value, Mormon beliefs can seem kind of outlandish. I mean, come on – Angels appearing to a modern-day prophet and directing him to buried golden plates, which contain the records of Jewish descendants who lived thousands of years ago on the American continent, and whom Christ himself visited after his death and resurrection? That’s just crazy! Nobody in their right mind would believe such nonsense!

On the other hand, it is somehow perfectly acceptable to believe the Earth was created in six days, a man rounded up two of each animal into a big boat to save them from a flood that covered the entire Earth, a man divided the Red Sea in two, a man survived being swallowed by a fish, a virgin gave birth to a deity, etc.

If you're going to call out any religious belief system for flying in the face of science, history or plain old common sense, at least have the decency to apply the same level of scrutiny and criticism to all religions.

June 24, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • Tay Tay

The dead sea scrolls are a great example of how we can trust the accuracy and power of the Bible. These scrolls stood the test of time thousands of years later. I wish we had more facts on the Lamanites and Nephites. Sadly, there is no archeaological evidence to support that these groups ever exsisted.

June 25, 2011 at 1:39 am |
    • A_MUSING

As I mentioned before, the highest crime of mormonism is to influence their members to distrust the Bible ... one can see supporting behavior above to with legit claim. Mormonism is Smithian AND anti-Christian and anti-Christ ... yet mormonism has many many similarities with Islam.

June 27, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • RRSJD

And your credentials as a historian and scholar of all things "Book of Mormon" are?

June 28, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
    • Erin

Here is just one example of a recent teaching about the Bible. Joseph Smith's first visit from the Lord came after he knelt in prayer because the Bible promised that if you lack wisdom and pray in faith God will freely answer you.

October 9, 2011 at 10:15 am |
  5. does it matter

Mormons are not the only ones that have special clothings or restrictions on clothes. Many Baptists and Pentecostals (both of which are considered "christians") restrict women from wearing certain types of outerwear or cutting their hair or they restrict the amount of jewelry that can be worn....I could go on for days on that one. Also mormons are just like everyone else, not those freaks in that video.

June 24, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • Mikey

Small difference here....most of what you describe are societal mores not religious. The special clothing worn by Mormons is underwear worn by both men and women.

June 24, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Swangster

Orthodox Jews also have a special undergarment called the Tallit Katan. Go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallit_katan. The special undergarments that mormons wear serve as reminders and don't hold any special powers.

June 24, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
    • A_MUSING

It does matter especially when mormon underwear bear masonic symbols

June 27, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  6. dupuis

If anyone wants to know about the church, they only have to go to LDS.org and it is all free! It is always easier to dismiss something you know nothing about than to try to research and understand it. Give yourselves a few minutes to find out for yourselves and draw your own conclusions.

June 24, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • CAPRO.info

Your website only provides a white-washed version of Mormonism. So, I've got a better one for you that tells it like it is: http://capro.info/Cults/Mormonism/Mormonism.html

June 24, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • Blake

OK, so a website with the word cult in the address isn't going to be biased or anti at all. Why would you go to a Nazi to learn about a Jew or a KKK member to learn about African Americans but you should go to a site claiming the faith is a cult to learn about it?

June 24, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • A_MUSING

Go to utlm.org if anyone sincerely seeks the truth. LDS.org as mentioned above is as white-washed as the bleached bones of the Mountain Meadow Massacre victims.

June 27, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • A_MUSING

@Blake ... the KKK and Nazis did not commit atrocities because of their doctrines. Mormonism massacred over 100 men,women and children in cold blood because of their doctrines. Far more victims than mormonism can count on both hands of the alleged horrific persecution they claim.

June 27, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  7. Jake

I don't think it is misleading to show a picture of the FLDS group, representing Mormons. The FLDS are actually more representative of Joseph Smith's beliefs than Mainstream Mormon's. The Mainstream Mormons have changed, re-wrote, re-profesied their religion until it isn't so embarrassing. You can't just brush these facts under the rug. AND, let's not forget that Joseph Smith was given a fine for being a Con-man prior to his success with his fake religion.

June 24, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • DLC

...and Jesus was executed as a common criminal. Your point is?

June 24, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • DLC

Revelation from God has ceased with the FLDS since they broke away.

June 24, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • JAKE

he was 12 when he first started to question other churches and from then started forming and working towards starting a church. so tell me how a 12 year old boy is a con man??

June 24, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Jake

In 1826, he was tried in Chenango County, New York, for "glass-looking," the crime of pretending to find lost treasure.

There were actually 4 cases of treasure finding that were brought up against him. And YES, there are records of these from the New York court in which he was tried.

June 24, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • Blake

Yes that is true, and there were also hundreds of charges filed against him in his short life, was tried multiple times, sent to jail twice but there was never a conviction. Hmmm, either the justice system stunk back then or people were simply making false accusatiuons.

June 24, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
    • Jake

@Blake. Joseph was actually convicted and paid a $2.68 fine and it was one of the major reasons he moved out of the area. He had alot of people that felt he had lied and ripped them off, so Joseph went on to a new town where he could find some NEW trusting souls to take advantage of.

June 24, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
    • Quick Question

DLC Statment: "Revelation from God has ceased with the FLDS since they broke away."

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that when Joseph Smith first formed the religion he made polygamy a practice in the church. Later in LDS history, the President of LDS (at the time), had a revalation from God declaring that polygamy is no longer allowed..that we know happend in your religions history. We also know that FLDS still practices polygamy.

Question: Didn't the modern LDS (who follow "modified" practices of the original church) break from FLDS (who follow the religions original practices) and not the other way around as you and so many other LDS members state?

June 24, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
    • Jake

Polygamy is going to be acceptable to Mainstream Mormon's in the afterlife. From what I understand the Mormon's do not believe in conflicting with the laws of the land and that is the main reason that Polygamy was retracted in the late 1800's.

June 27, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • A_MUSING

@Jake ... polygamy lives within mormonism and is the biggest farce on earth, this is supported that D&C 132 was never ever removed from their doctrine and is still practiced in mormon temples today.

June 27, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
    • ladydaisy

you're completely right! most mainstream mormons i know are nice people. one thing, though, that bothers me about them is the fact that they don't want to have anything to do with FLDS. and as you said, the FLDS people are much closer to joseph smith's life style...

October 8, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  8. Kila

Lmaoooo, nobody gave me any special underwear!

June 24, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  9. Only1Voice

Mormons claim to be "Christian," but don't believe that Jesus is God in the same way that the Father is God. Catholics, Baptists, Anglicans, Presbyterians and other branches of Christianity differ from them...that's what puts the "Christ" in "Christianity." I'd be interested to hear a Mormon respond to why they choose to go by "Christian;" after all, the Muslims refer to Christ (Issa) in their holy book the Koran. Just mentioning Jesus isn't enough to be called "Christian."

June 24, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Katie

The "typical Christian" view of the trinity was voted on by the Nicean council – I would suggest people do their research on it. The very early Christians (pre 100 AD) believed the same thing Mormons currently believe – that God the Father, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost are three separate personages with one singular purpose.

The term "Christian" should really mean anyone who believes that Christ is divine, the son of God, and who worships Him as deity. What it actually GENERALLY refers to in the context it is used now is not just a Christian, but a Protestant.

June 24, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • Ed Lindquist, Wasilla, Alaska

It is officially the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is more than a casual reference. Nearly every page of the Book of Mormon contains references to Jesus Christ. He is central to the Church; it is the only Church named after him instead of after a person, a practice, a country, or royalty.

June 24, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Dave

I'm a Mormon, and you have an interesting definition of Christian. Do you know who was the first person to define what a Christian is? Read 1 Peter 4:16 and Acts 26:28. The first identifies that a Christian is someone who glorifies God. The second is after Paul preached to Agrippa to believe in Christ and His teachings, as Paul learned the personal visitation of Christ, and then from other Apostles. Again, I'm not sure where you get your definition from, but perhaps we can agree, that these two scriptures are consistent with a modern definition of Christianity. This is what we Mormons believe. Jesus Christ came in the meridian of time, as the Son of God, to redeem all mankind from our sins, that we may return to live with the Father. Jesus is our Savior, just as I think you believe. Therefore, I hope I have answered your question. Now I have one for you... Why do you seem so intent on discrediting our belief in Christ? Where have you learned from your faith, that its your mission to be rude, criticize, or discourage people in their faith?

June 24, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • R Burns

How about an ex-mormon? I was deeply active in the Mormon religion for nearly 2 decades. The "Christian" refers to moral standards, which they practice religiously in every way. While active, I was never discouraged from accepting Christ as my redeemer, in fact it was often spoken of and sung about. However, Joseph Smith is considered the modern-day savior in that he "restored" priestly authority to his Latter-Day Saint organization. Of course, Christ told his followers that his words would never pass away (Matthew 24:35) so the Church could hardly have needed restoring. Anyone considering Mormonism should read the Book of Mormon with a King James version of the Bible at hand, and ask yourself why the Book of Mormon contains sections of the King James Bible, word for word, in the original old English translation rather than the language of mid-19th century America that Joseph Smith lived in. This has all been tested in court cases. Do your research, and be careful. Mormonism is very attractive to people of good heart who are, nevertheless, naive about their beliefs. It provides a strong community and structure with goals and a system of self-survival that we could all benefit from. But the doctrines are far from the church Christ meant to establish, and can never be fulfilled. Its members are constantly trying to satisfy church requirements that take a heavy toll on the physical and spiritual person. Christ taught forgiveness and tolerance, and acceptance without strict adherence to the Old Testament laws that Mormonism falls back on. If you take Mormonism too seriously you may end up facing some very real psychological dilemmas from conflicts deeply rooted in the very points of this article. There are several organizations dedicated to assisting folks who decide to leave the Mormon church because doing so can be wrenching. Investigators to the church are separated from "members-only" meetings for a reason. No, the Mormon church does not currently practice polygamy, but it does vigorously look forward to the time when they believe laws will change to allow this practice again. My prayers are continuously for the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and all who come and go within it.

June 24, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • BradT

I would recommend http://mormon.org/jesus-christ/ for a well worded explanation.
      In my words, we believe that Jesus Christ is the literal Son of God (different than a prophet), that he taught the things that our Heavenly Father would have us know and do, and he performed an Atonement on behalf of the rest of us allowing us to repent of our mistakes. Thus only through following him can we receive divine forgiveness. We believe he was crucified, and resurrected, and that he lives today. We consider all who believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ and his role as Savior as Christians.

June 24, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Only1Voice

"The appointment of Jesus to be the Savior of the world was contested by one of the other sons of God-Lucifer. The spirit-brother of Jesus desperately tried to become the Savior of mankind" (Milton R. Hunter, First Council of the Seventy, The Gospel Through the Ages, p. 15). Since an earlier reply to this post held a high view of Jesus because he was "literal" son of God, why not hold a high view of Lucifer for the same reason? Is Jesus God? Joseph Smith himself wrote in History of the Church, volume 6, p. 474, "In all congregations when I have preached on the subject of the Diety, it has been the plurality of Gods." If Smith taught there is more than one God, is Jesus one of them? I'm not making this up...just quoting your own group's leaders writings.

June 24, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • BradT

We believe that Jesus Christ, as a perfect, resurrected being works with God our Father, shares in His purpose and power. In the new testament Jesus prayed that his disciples could be one, even as he and the Father are one. If you consider that a plurality of gods, the Jesus Christ is definitely one of them.

We hold a high view of Jesus, not only for his heritage, but for his example of divinity, his willingness to follow our Heavenly Father perfectly, and his selfless sacrifice on our behalf.

June 24, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Jonathan

We believe that Jesus is the literal, physical son of God, born to the virgin mother Mary. We believe he came to this world to suffer for humanity's sins, and to die and be resurrected so that we can one day be resurrected and live with God. Exactly how does that differ from the rest of Christianity?

June 24, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • Only1Voice

Brigham Young speaking in the Journal of Discourses Vo1 1, Page 51, written in 1852, "Jesus our Elder Brother was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the garden of Eden, and who is our Father in Heaven."

Brigham Young speaking in the Journal of Discourses Vo1 15, Page 770, written in 1853, "Now remember from this time forth, and for ever, that Jesus Christ was not begotten by the Holy Ghost... if the Son was begotten by the Holy Ghost, it would be a very dangerous to baptize and confirm females, and give the Holy Ghost to them, lest he should beget children..."

The Bible (KJV even if you like) says that Mary was found with child by the Holy Ghost in Matthew 1:18, not by "Elohim." Since you folks don't seem to think the Spirit is a person like the Father and Son are individual persons, your view of God and Jesus is off I think. And, the rest of us seem to anticipate going through eternity praising God (BTW...the Bible says in Isaiah 43:10 that there will be no other God before or after the one we currently have...sorry for dreams of having your own planet).

June 24, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • BradT

I think we all understand the pitfalls of using phrases, quotes, or partial quotes taken out of context as official declarations of doctrine.

Granted we differ in our understandings of the exact nature and role of Jesus Christ, however, we would claim that any religion that esteems him as the Son of God and as the Savior could be considered christian.

June 24, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • Tay Tay

BradT
      My Heavenly Father was NEVER a man!! He has ALWAYS been a god....the only GOD! If God was once a man, then who created Him?? Another god? I don't think so. "I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me" Isaiah 46:9. I don't see how this can be disputed.

June 25, 2011 at 2:03 am |
    • BradT

Tay Tay
      I admire your conviction and your passion and I would not try to change your belief.

I did not enter into this conversation to dispute with anyone about points of doctrine, but to share my feelings on the subject of being a Christian.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches about the glorious potential of mankind as children of our Heavenly Father. I don't know the exact nature or details of that potential, nor is it important to me now. I have found that when I try to follow the example of Jesus Christ, I am blessed beyond what I deserve, and I believe that will hold true beyond this life as well. The Church teaches that only through knowing and following God, the Eternal Father, and his Son, Jesus Christ can we realize our fullest potential (John 17:3) and therefore we only concern ourselves with worshiping that one God, our Heavenly Father.

June 25, 2011 at 3:26 am |
    • smurray

R Burns

Thanks for the information. What you say is so true.....

October 9, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  10. mBaDt

Why do you promise to explain Mormonism, then prominently show a picture of FLDS polygamists? Those people are NOT Mormons. I question your motives, whether you are trying to do the LDS religion a service of providing some explanations, or simply to entertain. I must suspect the latter, which is disappointing.

June 24, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Darthur

That was my first thought when I saw the picture. The video clarifies that they are FLDS and is actually pretty balanced. I do agree, though, that the FLDS picture was an unfortunate and misleading photo.

June 24, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • A_MUSING

Hate to break it to you .... they are mormons. It was the LDS who broke away from the FLDS. Mormons through and through.

June 27, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  11. Steve

Why not include that the religions founder was a drug addled polygamist who married girls in their early teens? And additionally, why not mention that the manuscripts he said he found and translated have never been seen and are thought by many to have never exited in the first p;ae? And why not mention the fat that while the Mormons maintain Jesus Christ visited the indigenous population of North America, while there is no other evidence to support that by any acredited Anthropologist who is not a Mormon? And why not mention that when these kids are on their mission trips they have NO ACCESS to outside sources of information or media, and are sequestered and have limited contact with their family?

June 24, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • mBaDt

Why not base your comment on fact instead of ignorance? Why not invite your Mormon neighbor over for dinner and ask him about some of these anti-Mormon myths and inform yourself? Why not chat up a Mormon missionary and ask him or her how much contact with the outside world he or she actually has?

That would be a good start.

June 24, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • HDK

mBmat or whatever......why should he invite his Mormon neighbor over to explain. The mormon neighbor has been brainwashed. Everything he is saying about the book never existing and the founder marrying teenage girls is true. Why bother. Keep those people the heck away from evryone!

June 24, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • dupuis

You have to be kidding me right? I never knew that people so ill informed as you existed. Stop reading anti-Mormom literature and read the Book of Mormon and then tell me this could have been written by a boy with only a grade 4 education. There is plenty of proof that Jesus Christ visited North and South America just talk to any tribal elders. And please do not speak unless you are properly informed, it will improve your credibility and your character.

June 24, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • Only1Voice

"In conclusion, I will observe that the names of, and most of the historical part of the Book of Mormon, were as familiar to me before I read it, as most modern history. If it is not Spalding's writings, it is the same as he wrote; and if Smith was inspired, i think it was by the same spirit that Spalding was, which he confessed to bhe the love of money." Aron Wright, August 1833, given to Dr. Hurlburt for presentation in Painsville, stating that some of Solomon Spalding's work had entered the Book of Mormon.

June 24, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Melissa

Steve, religion is based on faith – not court rules of evidence. People either believe it or not. You don't, and that's okay. But for those who have faith as a starting point, certainty and knowledge follow – as rewards for faith. You would be very surprised what I KNOW. I wish that for others, too.

June 24, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • Steven

hey steve if you look at your own genelogy you would be surprised to see that many of your ancestors married young teens also. Back in the 1800's it wasn't seen as horriable as it is today. Were not brainwashed we are told to make our own decisions and ask God if something is true. Do you believe that he will give us the right answer?

June 25, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • Remjan

@ HDK
      Earlier you said you felt like Mormon kids excluded you and your kids and now you saying "Keep those people the heck away from evryone" Mormons are in fact a lot like everyone else in that if you want you and your family to have friends you have to be friendly back. Can't say I blame a neighborhood for not being "friendly" with you and your family if you're the one in fact not trying to keep up the other half of a friendship. Some over zealous mormons may try to bring up their beliefs and you just have to let them know you're not interested.

I've found most Mormons I've met to be very friendly, but then again I'm not judging them for what they believe. Some things are weird, but everyone has weird beliefs, mormon or not.

June 27, 2011 at 12:39 am |
    • A_MUSING

Thanks for providing examples of FACTS :))

June 27, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  12. Dave

As a Mormon, I think everything in this article is fair and true. But it is frustrating that so many people leaving responses are quick to criticize another group. Religious tolerance was paramount to the founding of our country, and we believe separation from church and state is essential to lead a diverse country towards fairness and equality. All men and women should have the opportunity to live, love, and enjoy life according to the dictates of their own belief. This is what we, Mormons, believe... just like so many of you.

June 24, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • Just Me

"All men and women should have the opportunity to live, love, and enjoy life according to the dictates of their own belief. This is what we, Mormons, believe... just like so many of you."

Is that why Mormons are hell bent on denying gay marriage? Last time I checked, Mormons were trying to stop people from living their lives according to their own desires. It's one things to have rules and expect members of your church to follow them, but it's a completely different things for a church to meddle is politics and affect laws.

June 24, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • kdf

God denys gay relationships and that is in the Bible. It is considered a sin and there for yes, we deny it.

June 24, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • NoBS

Sure, that's why the church dumped so much money into Prop 8, right? And why they won't let their kids play with non-members? Please don't tell me this doesn't happen... I live in Utah and IT DOES HAPPEN. The church is bigoted towards gays and non-members, and you guys are here lying for lord like BY told you to.

June 24, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • CAPRO.info

Jesus wasn't into your "religious tolerance," Dave, and his view on the matter is what counts. He said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through me" (Jn. 14:6). He didn't say through Joseph Smith, the Mormon Church, or anyone or anything else. Mormonism, though, wants people to believe otherwise. Well, once again, it doesn't matter what the Mormon Church says, given that it is so far off the beaten path that it is an affront to Jesus.

Nevertheless, for more on the corruptness and perversion known as Mormonism, please see: http://capro.info/Cults/Mormonism/Mormonism.html

June 24, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  13. Eric

Author forgot to mention that Mormonism is polytheistic. Yep, Mormons believe that there are many gods and that a Mormon male in good standing with the church will become a god upon death. As a god, he'll inherit his own planet and, with his resurrected wife, populate and rule over that planet.

June 24, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • Dave

actually we dont believe this. Sounds like you heard something... and then tried to make it sound caustic.

June 24, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • jack279

Where do I sign up? Oh I forgot, I'm not white, so I'll be a slave in the afterlife. Nevermind.

June 24, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • Eric

Dave, I spent some time studying Mormonism and had a devout Mormon roommate in college. The guy's dad was a bishop in the Mormon church. Mormon doctrine is polytheistic. I know what I'm talking about.

June 24, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • John Do

Don't know where you picked that bit of info up but it's not true.

June 24, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • John Do

jack279

------------------
      You must have a low opinion of yourself.

June 24, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • Just Me

I am a Mormon and I have served a mission. But to clarify, you are right. Mormons do believe that men will become Gods and rule over their own worlds.

June 24, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • jack279

@ John Do, it's in Mormon doctrine that "people of color will serve as slaves in the afterlife.." I don't feel like being a slave, but I do want a planet of my own to rule like the white patrons. I should start a "Colored Mormon Church"

June 24, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • DLC

Psalm 82 – The bible says we are gods. Sons and daughters of God. Anything beyond having the capacity to be like God everything else is just conjecture, rumour and fanatasy.

June 24, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • NoBS

@Dave More lying for the lord. That is exactly what was preached. What are you doing... trying not to scare off the marks who might sign up for your scam? Man, you guys just lie, lie, lie and expect that no one will call you on it.

June 24, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • CAPRO.info

Dave the Mormon is playing the part of someone who either doesn't know his Mormonism, or he's being a contemptible liar, like so many of them are taught to be online, as they try to defend their church at all costs. For yes, Mormonism does teach a belief in plural gods and goddesses. A few quotes from their church leaders should suffice to rebut Dave's naivete or deceitfulness.

"If we should take a million of worlds like this and number their particles, we should find that there are more Gods than there are particles of matter in those worlds."—Orson Pratt.

"It is written, Prove all things, hold fast that which is good." Refuse evil, choose good, hate iniquity, love truth. All this our fathers have done before us; I do not particularly mean Father Adam, or his Father; I do not particularly mean Abraham, or Moses, the Prophets, or Apostles, but I mean our fathers who have been exalted for millions of years previous to Adam's time. They have all passed through the same ordeals we are now passing through, and have searched all things, even to the depths of hell.'"—Brigham Young

"Hence the doctrine of a plurality of Gods is as prominent in the Bible as any other doctrine. It is all over the face of the Bible. It stands beyond the power of controversy. A wayfaring man, though a fool, need not err therein."—Joseph Smith

"The first question that may arise in one's mind is, "How can mortals ever become Gods when there is already a supreme being?" As it is possible for several sons here in mortality to eventually become fathers, so is it just as possible for the sons of God to reach the station of perfection that He has attained. Of course, at that time He will still be God, and even a greater Deity than He is today. This is the doctrine of the plurality of Gods."—Milton R. Hunter

"Since innumerable intelligent beings are moving onward in development, there must be some in almost every conceivable stage of development. If intelligent beings, far transcending the understanding of man, be called gods, there must be many gods. God, angel and similar terms denote merely intelligent beings of varying degree of development. The thought, however, that there is a plurality of gods and other divine beings of varying grades, is a thought of fundamental truth, which may be applied in every-day life, for it gives the assurance that it is possible for all, by self-effort and by gradual steps, to attain the highest conceivable power."—John Widtsoe

"Three separate personages Father, Son, and Holy Ghost comprise the Godhead. As each of these persons is a God, it is evident, from this standpoint alone, that a plurality of Gods exist.…But in addition there is an infinite number of holy personages, drawn from worlds without number, who have passed on to exaltation and are thus gods."—Bruce McConkie

And the kicker? From one of their "official" texts for Mormon belief, Doctrine & Covenants 132:19-20: "And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and everlasting covenant, and it is sealed unto them by the Holy Spirit of promise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood…20 Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them."

For more on the Mormon delusion, please see: http://capro.info/Cults/Mormonism/Mormonism.html

June 24, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • Melissa

Eric, so what's your point? Are you afraid we'll run out of planets and there won't be enough to go around?

June 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • ldsmom02

The only person delusional here is Capro. And as far as Mormons being taught to lie online and to others that is a BALD FACED lie. I have been a member of the Mormon church for 30 years and I joined as an adult. The lies on this page are prolific and pathetic. One thing the Mormon church does not do is lie about others. It doesn't hold special classes on how to talk to other religions, or classes on how other religions are cults. It teaches us to love each other, have tolerance and respect for one another and it teaches us that all religions contain truth. Which is much more Christlike than some of the things done toward the Mormon church by other religions.

June 25, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Lisa

@jeffRI... you're pretty angry for no apparent reason. What's funnier is that you're claiming they lie when you can neither prove they lie or tell the truth. (Hence the problem with religion and why people still continue to believe it, you can't disprove it but you can't prove it either.)

June 24, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • CAPRO.info

I've just proved that they lied, Lisa, by providing an extensive list contradicting Dave's comment that Mormonism is not polytheistic, when clearly it is.

June 24, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • ldsmom02

Capro, you've proved nothing.

June 25, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • A_MUSING

Of course they lie, what is stopping you from seeing FACTS ?

June 27, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  15. Ed

Personally I found the article informative I learned a little about the mormons seemed like a decent article to me.

June 24, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  16. Faithful

I love how even though CNN is 'supposed' to be a major news corp. they still weren't able to get this story right. They pulled some Wikipedia facts out of their butts and slapped it in the article. Great journalism guys.

June 24, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • Lisa

At this time I'd like everyone to look up at their address bar. You'll notice that it says "blogs" on there, meaning that this isn't an actual CNN report but a blog written by a random Joe posted on CNN's website. Chances are they weren't even paid for the work and it wasn't edited or reviewed by CNN staff.

June 24, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • CAPRO.info

CNN actually provided a very generic list of beliefs about Mormonism that were true, but didn't really say anything. For a better list of what Mormonism teaches, go to: http://capro.info/Cults/Mormonism/Mormonism.html.

June 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  17. jemison4

I wish you'd report on 1) the mormon control of the USDA and hence their control of all food grown in this country, and 2) the mormon control of the FBI and hence their power of surveillance in this country

June 24, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • anichols

This is just another fantasy. Do some research. The mormon church is not involved as you think they are.

June 24, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • perrypoint

Not to mention the tin-foil hats... LOL!

June 24, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • Jaime

Important points about Mormons that the article failed to mention:

Joseph Smith was a known mystic, who claimed to converse with supernatural powers through his top hat.
      Joseph Smith claimed to have dug up GOLD tablets in the wilderness, with hieroglyphics only he could decipher, which became the book of mormom
      Mormons believe they are actually present day Saints
      Mormon men believe that when they die they get their own planet
      Sounds like a rational religion to me....

June 24, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • John Do

Jaime

Important points about Mormons that the article failed to mention:

Mormons believe they are actually present day Saints
      Mormon men believe that when they die they get their own planet
      Sounds like a rational religion to me....
      --------------------------–
      Your ignorance is amazing...

June 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • The Real Tom Paine

BYU has been regarded as a top recruiting ground for the FBI and the CIA for decades because of their deference to authority and their foreign language expertise. Also, the only FBI agent wconvicted of spying was an LDS who was reduced to selling Amway out of his car to support his wife and 8 children. He was obviously vulnerable to financial pressure, and his LDS boss almost blew the interrogation by invoking God and using prienthood authority to gain a confession, a confession that was almost hrown out ont eh grounds it was coerced.

June 24, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  18. Faithful

CNN, again you prove to be totally wrong,
    #2: Posthumous baptism is in the Bible, in the book of Corinthians I believe. Don't word it like the LDS faith is so lone-wolf on this. It's in the Bible.

CNN, thank you for dispelling the polygamy myth by explaining who FLDS weirdos are, however, change the thumbnail for the video. If I came to this page, the first and only thing I'll remember about LDS people are the images of the FLDS polygamysts. That's not a fair representation.

June 24, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • CAPRO.info

Baptism for the dead is not taught in the Bible, but only mentioned in reference to the resurrection (1 Cor. 15:29). Because of the context no one has ever discerned what the Apostle Paul was talking about, but clearly he did not have in mind baptism by proxy the deceased in lieu of two missionaries showing up in Spirit Prison Hell to give someone who didn't hear about Joseph Smith the opportunity to be released and then eventually progress on to godhood.

As for polygamy, it is still alive and well in Mormonism, which is why the Mormon Church in Utah never removed D&C 132 from its texts, there are 30,000 living, breathing polygamists in Utah still following Joseph Smith's mandate, and even Wilford Woodruff took a sixth wife, seven years after issuing his Manifesto.

For more on Mormonism, see http://capro.info/Cults/Mormonism/Mormonism.html

June 24, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
  19. DLC

I appreciate the effort here Dan but those are not mainstream "mormons" in the video at the top of the page. Check out the "..and I'm a Mormon" campaign on Mormon.org. Glen Beck is also a convert. Your assertion that we are different from mainstream christianity is only as true as it applies to ALL other christian faiths. Catholics and Petacostals are as different as night and day, yet are both considered "christian". Wearing clothing to set yourself apart from the rest of the secular world is hardly a "mormon" idea. I'm not trying to be super critical but would it hurt to vette this kind of article with a mormon before presenting it to the world as fact? B-minus for the article, big F for the image of polygamous fundamentalists(not members of the mainstream church) which just perpetuates a false stereotype.

June 24, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • Faithful

Totally agree, great reply.

June 24, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • anichols

I agree.

June 24, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • DLC

Amended to B-Plus after watching the video. Not bad for a non-mormon. Just lose the thumbnail of the FLDS polygamists and I'll overlook any smaller errors.

June 24, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • jean

have to disagree...foundational to the Christian faith is the belief that there is one true God. Mormonism does not hold this belief. Mormons ultimate "reward" for their life lived here on earth is the opportunity to become a god in the afterlife but only for those who reach the highest level of heaven (they believe in levels to heaven and no hell). While different christian denominations differ (particularly Catholicism) none veer from the foundational truth of who God is (and that there is but One – I am). while i agree with the author that Mormonism differs (drastically) from Christianity I am surprised that his support of that position is their choice of clothing (which would not set it outside of the Christian faith) and not the belief that you can become like God (which is the orignal sin commited by Eve).

June 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  20. Jo

Fairly accurate, though some points are not exactly correct.

June 24, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • Steven

The picture you have of the Mormons is wrong. Those are fundamental Mormons who are not Mormons, they have broke off from our church more than 100 years ago. Your information isn't exactly accurate either.

June 24, 2011 at 2:49 pm |