home
RSS
June 24th, 2011

Explain it to me: Mormonism

With two Mormons running for the Republican presidential nomination and a play riffing on the religion tearing up Broadway, the country appears to be having a Mormon moment.

Here are 10 facts about Mormonism. What other questions do you have about the faith?

1. The official name of the Mormon church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

2. Mormons consider themselves Christian but their beliefs and practices differ from traditional Christianity in key ways, including belief in sacred texts outside the Bible and practices like posthumous proxy baptism and wearing special undergarments.

3. There are about 14 million Mormons today, with more than half living outside the United States.

4.  The Mormon religion was founded in upstate New York in 1830, when Joseph Smith published a translation of writings he said he found and translated from Egyptian-style hieroglyphics into English.  That's the Book of Mormon, which believers say consists of writings produced by ancient American civilizations.

5. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has outlawed polygamy since 1890.

6. Early Mormons faced intense persecution, so church headquarters relocated from New York to Missouri to Illinois in rapid succession. Joseph Smith was killed by a mob in Illinois. His successor, Brigham Young, led early Mormons to the Great Salt Lake in what's now Utah, where church headquarters remains.

7. Mormon men are expected to perform two years of missionary work beginning when they're 19 years old. Women can also do missionary work when they turn 21, but there is less pressure to do so.

8. Famous Mormons include J.W. Marriott, founder of the hotel chain, Glenn Beck and Gladys Knight, a convert.

9. Jon Huntsman and Mitt Romney represent different generations of Mormonism that have related pretty differently to American culture.

10. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is running some major ad campaigns to take advantage of burgeoning interest in the religion.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mormonism

soundoff (3,741 Responses)
  1. Tex

The liberal mind is full of all kind of mischief. Far too much contention going on here at CNN. Time to get a breath of fresh air and click back over to FOXnews where I can get the real truth.

June 24, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
    • Chance

AMEN and adios.

June 24, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
    • Andy

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

June 25, 2011 at 3:04 am |
  2. AMAZ

I'm a Mormon / LDS, member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I've read the Book of Mormon many times and also have a testimony of it's truthfulness as another testament that Jesus is the Christ. Many mock our faith, our beliefs, our scriptures, our heritage and delight in repeating false stories and lies concocted by evil men. I'm reminded of the Savior words...

26 And when I had said this, the Lord spake unto me, saying: Fools mock, but they shall mourn; and my grace is sufficient for the meek, that they shall take no advantage of your weakness;

27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

June 24, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
    • I_get _it

AMAZ,

Do you believe that Mohammad was visited by an angel of "God"? How about others who claim this?

When you understand why you dismiss other claims like this, you will understand why we dismiss yours.

June 25, 2011 at 12:21 am |
  3. exmormongirl

Here is a fact that this article leaves out: Mormons believe that God was once a man like us, and that we can someday become gods ourselves.
    This is something that the LDS missionaries failed to share with me when they convinced me to join their church. Praise God that I was able to discern the truth and come out! I pray daily for my Mormon husband, that he might see through the fog of deception that has surrounded him his entire life.

June 24, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
    • Brian

Actually, Mormons share it willingly. Isn't the message of Christianity that Jesus (God) became human and walked among us? And doesn't the Bible teach that we shall over come, and become like Him? That we will sit on His throne, and we will inherit the Earth? Are we not commanded to be perfect, even as our Father in Heaven is perfect? For when we see Him, we will know Him, for we shall be like Him.

June 25, 2011 at 2:55 am |
    • Tay Tay

Brian
      Missionaries who knock on your door do not say that...."hey, you can become a god one day if you join the LDS church." Of course, they have good reason not to share this intially because it frankly sounds crazy to mainsteam Christians. My boyfriend was raised Mormon. When I asked him about this, he had never heard of it. Yes, we will become like our Heavenly Father, but we won't become a god or rule our own planet!!

June 25, 2011 at 3:24 am |
    • Mormons Are First Century Christians

Theosis Jesus Christ’s church must represent man’s potential correctly 1 Corinthians 8:5-6, Psalm 82, John 10:34

Divinization, narrowing the space between God and humans, was also part of Early Christian belief. St. Athanasius of Alexandria (Eastern Orthodox) wrote, regarding theosis, "The Son of God became man, that we might become God." Irenaeus wrote in the late 2nd Century: “we have not been made gods from the beginning, but at first merely men, then at length gods” Justin Martyr in mid 2nd Century said: “all men are deemed worthy of becoming ‘gods,’ and of having power to become sons of the Highest” Jerome wrote that God "made man for that purpose, that from men they may become gods." Clement of Alexandria said worthy men "are called by the appellation of gods, being destined to sit on thrones with the other gods that have been first put in their places by the Savior." Origen in reference to 1 Corinthians 8:5-6 said "Now it is possible that some may dislike what we have said representing the Father as the one true God, but admitting other beings besides the true God, who have become gods by having a share of God . . As, then there are many gods, but to us there is but one God the Father, and many Lords, but to us there is one Lord, Jesus Christ.” The Gospel of Thomas (which pre-dates the 4 Gospels, but was considered non-canonical by the Nicene Council) quotes the Savior: "He who will drink from my mouth will become as I am: I myself shall become he, and the things that are hidden will be revealed to him," (Gospel of Thomas 50, 28-30, Nag Hammadi Library in English, J.M.Robinson, 1st ed 1977; 3rd ed. 1988) For further information on this subject, refer to http://NewTestamentTempleRitual.blogspot.com The Church of Jesus Christ (LDS) agrees with Early Christian church leaders regarding theosis.

To paraphrase Origin’s thoughts in the words of Church of Jesus Christ (LDS) Apostle, Bruce R. McConkie: "There is and can only be one who is supreme, who is the head and to whom all others are subject". Becoming like God is not saying we will ever be equal to Him, frankly we won't and can't He, and only He, will forever be worshipped by us.

June 25, 2011 at 7:39 am |
  4. Thomas

I certainly have read a lot here. Many viewpoints. I am LDS and from what I have personally experienced is based just on THAT – personal experience. Reading the Book of Mormon and praying to Heavenly Father to know if it is true or not. I wouldn't consider myself anyone "special", but I had a confirmation like I had never felt in my life that the Book of Mormon was true. I had a spiritual witness from the Holy Ghost. So, yes, Christians believe in the power of prayer and so do I. So I prayed and got an answer. This is called personal revelation. No one can take that away from me, regardless of what other's may think, say, or do. I think most Christians have had spiritual experiences they would call miracles, etc. and this is what happend to me. It's like what Joseph Smith himself said: "However, it was nevertheless a fact that I had beheld a vision. I have thought since, that I felt much like Paul, when he made his defense before King Agrippa, and related the account of the vision he had when he saw a light, and heard a voice; but still there were but few who believed him; some said he was dishonest, others said he was mad; and he was ridiculed and reviled. But all this did not destroy the reality of his vision. He had seen a vision, he knew he had, and all the persecution under heaven could not make it otherwise; and though they should persecute him unto death, het he knew, and would know to his latest breath, that he had both seen a light and heard a voice speaking unto him, and all the world could not make him think otherwise. So it was with me. I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; ane though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true; and while they were persecuting me, reviling me, and speaking all manner of evil against me falsely for so saying, I was led to say in my heart: Why persecute me for telling the truth? I have actually seen a vision; and who am I that I can withstand God, or why does the world think to make me deny what I have actually seen? For I had a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under comdemnation." (Joseph Smith History 1: 24 -25) I feel the same way. I have had a personal witness from the Holy Ghost and nothing can take that away from me. Nothing else matters. It was a personal revelation to me from God. I will never forget it either. So go ahead and banter all you want, I KNOW for myself the Book of Mormon is the word of God. I challenge everyone within the sound of my writing this that they do the same thing. Read the Book of Mormon, and sincerely and with real intent ask God, the Eternal Father if the book is true. I promise if you do this, you too will get a manifestation to your heart that is is true. I testify of this in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

June 24, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
    • John Richardson

But you don't understand! If YOU have a personal revelation, it was from Satan. If Joe Evangelical had a personal revelation , it was from god! Man, you gotta familiarize yourself with the rules of Evangelical debate, man!

From a point of view outside of the interreligious debate, I have to say it sounds pretty unlikely that anyone could possibly have a personal revelation that could possible truly confirm an entire gaudy theology with associated cosmology and ethical system unless you kinda "agree in advance" to interpret small signs and BIG MESSAGES. I have to guard against this myself in my experiential work in animist based mysticism. Experiences that nudge you towards admitting the possibility that there is vastly more to this existence than we experience in our pedestrian day-by-day lives are not hard to come by. But a vision of an archetypal hermit crab spirit accompanied by a somewhat out of place lone seagull hovering far overhead means, um, what exactly? Experiences can be subjectively profound. But slapping some attempt at an "objectively" profound meaning onto them is an invitation to self delusion.

June 24, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
    • John Richardson

I meant to say "small signs AS big messages"

June 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
    • Andrew

NY just legalized gay marriage and the world is dancing in the streets. Great victory they say. Long overdue they chant. Slaps on the back for everyone. A VERY SAD DAY INDEED. We need more people who will stand up for their beliefs and have a moral backbone. Keep heaping your biased ignorant prejudice upon the mormon faithful and they will only grow stronger. I know several members of the LDS faith – all decent and good people. Need more like them to stand up and get this sinking ship we call America back on track. The evangelicals are far too radical and far too judgmental to lead WE THE PEOPLE.

June 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
    • bryce

Back off the keywords man. People will listen to you much more without all the buzzwords.

June 24, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
    • tallulah13

It's a wonderful thing for equality, Andrew. I am proud of New York and hope the rest of the nation follows.

June 24, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
    • John Richardson

Amen, Tallulah!

June 25, 2011 at 9:05 pm |
  5. That's Just The Way It Is

Mormon is easily explained: take out the second "m".

June 24, 2011 at 9:57 pm |
    • Brian

Did you think that up all by yourself? (eye roll)

June 25, 2011 at 2:57 am |
    • Tay Tay

LOL!!! That just sounds ignorant!!! Brian, I'm rolling my eyes with ya! Mormons aren't morons by any means! They are lovely people with different views, but not morons!

June 25, 2011 at 3:29 am |
    • Sorry, But That Really Is Just The Wat It Is

Anyone who would believe Joseph Smith's obviously-invented bullsh!t is a moron. Smith was a conman, and his lame scam keeps hooking in gullible yokels.

Million man armies in America with chariots and steel weapons and horses, none of which were in the Americas at the time. No archaeological evidence has ever been found, and never will be.

Smith "translated" a fragment of the Egyptian Book of the Dead as the Book of Abraham – not even close.

Smith was repeatedly seen dictating his book, which he claimed was taken from his golden plates.

When his neighbor did not give him back an earlier draft, Smith went into a fit – instead of translating the plates again, he came up with a different version.

Smith made it up. It's so obvious.

You have to be a moron to be a Mormon – anyone with even the slightest ability for critical thinking can see through Smith's lame and obvious scam.

June 25, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • Brad

Joseph Smith could not have made up the Book of Mormon. It has over a hundred Hebrew chiasms (form of poetry). Joseph could barely freakin' read look at all the misspelled words from his journal. Alma a named that was mocked for over a century was found recently on a scroll dating back to fit into the timeline of the BoM. The knowledge of the olive tree culture.However, the "Reformed Egyptian" used by the Nephites is described as a language system unique to them (Mormon 9:32-34), having evolved with their culture over a 1,000-year period. It was apparently used for sacred writings, and should have been almost wholly lost with the destruction of Nephite civilization. How can we expect Egyptologists, with typically no training in Central American matters, to know whether such a language ever existed there?

I could go on....the point is people who are ANTI-MORMON must hold their talking points about Mormonism being false, because if they are wrong or if there is any credence given to Mormonism than they might have to accept that it may have some truth. And since most anti-Mormon people are ex-Mormons that's a no win situation. Because in Mormon theology only those who fight against the truth (the truth being referred to as Mormonism) go to out darkness...basically hell. No bueno for them.

June 27, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • Thought process

Brian: you feel good for you acting like a 8 year old saying "just take out the 2nd m." grow up man but, if you want to stay at this mentality stage in your life thats all you. you decide to act like that and to show how mature you can really act. no one is making you act like that, expect yourself. it affects no one but, you and you alone. I'm not trying to sound above you its just I'm repeating what you typed.

July 2, 2011 at 3:27 am |
    • They are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier

Brian didn't say that. Put a little thought in your thought process.

And if you look down a few posts, you will see that the original poster supported that statement with facts.

July 2, 2011 at 3:31 am |
  6. ldsbob

Actually not a bad summation. I appreciate the objectivity. Usually such an appraisal of the Church is biased and tends to be somewhat un-credible, and usually makes us look a little goofy as a people, but this was well done. Props.

June 24, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
  7. Mormon.org

get the facts.

June 24, 2011 at 9:40 pm |
  8. JonBoy

At least they wear underwear

June 24, 2011 at 9:39 pm |
    • Laura

Well said Jon Boy. Well said.

June 25, 2011 at 12:48 am |
  9. JT

For you Christians who can't believe people can actually fall for such absurdities as Momonism....this is how Muslims, Jews and atheists view you. Of course we atheists view all of you Abrahamic religions as deluded groups.

June 24, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
    • TRH

True...and it's easy to say it's their way and they have a right to believe as they wish. I however, believe that religion, particularly when practiced by the overzealous, the fanatic, the "true believer", or those that "know in their hearts" that their way is the "true" way, is dangerous. I become uneasy when I see a chance of these people approaching or having aspirations to positions of power and influence.

I believe more in freedom FROM religion, not freedom OF religion.

June 24, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • Pooua

At least we can find the cities, coins and landscapes listed in the Bible. Those in the Book of Mormon are entirely fictional and simply never existed in reality.

June 24, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
    • I_get _it

Pouaa,

The claims of supernatural beings and events by *any* of them cannot be proved to exist in reality.

June 25, 2011 at 12:27 am |
    • Brian

Did they find that Ark? How about those stone tablets? Or the tower of Babel? The Americas have ample evidence of advanced civilizations that could be adapted to Book of Mormon stories, at least as much as Biblical stories. And if geography was the only evidence of truth, the knowing that New York and Nauvoo are real places proves Mormonism. Right?

June 25, 2011 at 3:00 am |
    • Tay Tay

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they did find some of the ark. I think the Dead Sea Scrolls is a great example of how the Bible is true.

June 25, 2011 at 3:34 am |
  10. Rew

Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you...

June 24, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
  11. skyper

It sounds to me like FLDS are the only true mormons. Saying they aren't mormons is not right when they are practicing an important part of their religion as it existed in it's original form before Utah became a state. If the LDS religion only prohibited polygamy because it was looked down upon and stood in the way of being granted statehood, the people who agreed to drop that belief from their religion are the false mormons. Joseph Smith said it was okay and practiced it, but they changed that to become a state? Forbidding a part of your religion that had been a "fundamental" part of the religion for such gain is wrong…in my opinion. That's not to say I agree with polygamy because I certainly don't. However, I don't think it's right for non-FLDS mormons to say the FLDS aren't real mormons when it appears to me that they are the only ones who stuck to their beliefs and did not change them when it was to their advantage to do so. Also, it's my understanding that one of the reasons Christians do not agree that mormons are Christians is because mormons think they are capable of being sinless and able to reach perfection in their human form…like Christ. Don't Christians believe humans are born sinners and that we pretty much die sinners saved by Christ. We aren't saved by good works (no matter how perfect we manage to be), but saved by a sinless Christ who paid the ultimate sacrifice by dying on the cross for us. In that, we are saved by Christ not our own good works. Like there are really good people who don't believe in God, but if they aren't saved, they aren't going to heaven. Right?

June 24, 2011 at 9:34 pm |
    • John Richardson

Actually, people can neither be sinless or saved. Trust me on this one.

June 24, 2011 at 9:55 pm |
    • Floyd Johnson

Interesting take on FLDS, I like it. Mormons will correct you that they have a responsiblity to become better, not perfect. They concur with other christians that they cannot become perfect and are, therefore, dependent on Christ for salvation. The difference is that they have they believe they have an obligation to get as perfect as possible in this life.

June 24, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
    • skyper

Okay, that makes sense to me...

June 24, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  12. zrock

Glenn Beck is mormon?? I don't know why but that just makes my day. 😀 LOL

June 24, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
  13. Jez

They need to explain why their racist religion excluded all black people prior to the 1970s when the government got on their backs. That is klanish.

June 24, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
    • zrock

Mormonism isn't the only religion that does that excludes people based on race and background. All religions do that. Particularily muslimism, judaism, along with several other christian sect.

June 24, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
    • EmG

@zrock I know tons of Muslims that only care about what's in your heart. I know blacks and Mexicans that are Muslim and not excluded by other Muslims.

June 24, 2011 at 9:52 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Or try ... http://www.blacklds.org/

June 24, 2011 at 9:53 pm |
    • Floyd Johnson

A few pointsRemember that many southern Christians used the bible to justify their position on slavery. Joseph Smith was an abolitionist and a some early black members had the priesthood, the second president of the LDS church (Brigham Young) started the anti-black policies. I think Mormons were slow on equal rights because there simply were not many minorities in Utah. It is when the LDS church began to expand outside of Utah that the issue became relevant to them. I agree that they were too slow in abandonng the policies, but I can understand why they did not consider them earlier. Remember this is only 20 years after the topic was resolved in the south with a much higher population of African Americans.

June 24, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  14. Stymie

I am agnostic, teetering on athiest. Grew up next to the nicest mormon family (14 kids). Also have renegade mormon uncle and his family. All kind and wonderful, honest people. They may be kooky (so are baptists), but honest and trust worth. I like Romney.

June 24, 2011 at 9:21 pm |
  15. skytag

All in all that's about the lamest set of "facts" I've ever read about any religion.

June 24, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
  16. TJeff1776

As heretofore stated- the so-called "magic underwear" is non-existent. They wear it STRICTLY to remind them to live their religion. NOTHING magic about that. Doesn't stop a bullet. Doesn't sprout wings and fly. The "magic stuff" keeps being repeated by mormon faultfinders to predjudice the minds of victims whom they hope will never try to find out different.

June 24, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
    • Manifold Density

They think it gives them "holy power" or "spiritual strength" or something like that, right?
      That's magical.
      Magical Underoos for mental children. Are there special ones with words written or stltched on them? Or colorful depictions of anything religious? Not that it would make much difference, but then they would resemble standard Underoos more closely that way.
      Magical undies to keep you strong in your faith and your stain-fighting ability. Yay Morons!

June 25, 2011 at 3:36 am |
    • i wonder

If they are loathe to take these garments off, then they must have very short memories of their faith and a loose hold on it... or it is just a superst'itious fixation.

June 25, 2011 at 3:50 am |
  17. Marie Kidman

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSvqMBj-ig&w=640&h=360]

June 24, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
  18. skytag

Asking non-Mormons what Mormons believe is like asking Glenn Beck what liberals believe or Bill Mahr what Republicans believe.

Anyone who comes to this article to learn what Mormons believe is either an idiot or he's just looking for a chance to bash them. If you really want to know what Mormons believe, ask a Mormon. They have missionaries just about everywhere who would be happy to tell you what they believe.

June 24, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
    • Tom

I probably know much more about mormon doctrine than you do, yet I am not mormon. I was for 18 years however.

June 24, 2011 at 9:05 pm |
    • skytag

@Tom: Disregarding for the moment that your comment has nothing to do with mine, I just want to point out that your tinfoil hat really can't reveal to you how much I know about Mormon doctrine. Or do you think you've received a personal revelation about my understanding after much fasting and prayer?

June 24, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Wow ...

June 24, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
    • John Richardson

So, when evaluating an ideology, you should only listen to what its adherents say and ignore its critics? Don't think so! Glenn Beck and Bill Maher aren't the best examples, as they are both basically low brow entertainers, not thinkers. Beck pretends to be serious, but is really a cartoon character. Maher plays a slightly more sophisticated game of pretending to be a jovial satiist to conceal the fact that he seldom has anything even semi-intelligent to say. (if you giggle when you spout your inanities, some people cut you some slack and assume that you're just having fun and aren't REALLY dumber than a banana, even if you are.) But those particulars aside, you should certainly listen to what the various ideologies and belief systems say about each other when evaluating them.

June 24, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • Pooua

Do you expect salesmen to tell you everything about their operation? In particular, do you expect young people, who may have never even learned all the points their elders *want* them to know, to tell you about all the things the elders *don't* want you to know?

You want to know Mormonism from Mormons? Go to Jerald and Sandra Tanner! The wife of that team is a biological descendant of Brigham Young.

June 24, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  19. bigray

"My imaginary friend can beat up your imaginary friend!" That pretty much sums up the debate between religions. I am no atheist, but I believe strongly the human influence corrupts any religion no matter how well intentioned some of its members may be. Talk to any person who believes strongly in their religion and they are the most judgmental people you will meet. I refuse to believe in any deity that tells me "this group of people knows exactly what I want, do whatever they say and abandon your own free will" ... try and question any religion and see how open to "debate" they truly are. On a side note .... "magic underwear" ... really? You people believed to follow someone with "magic underwear?" Whats its magic power, does it prevent chaffing?

June 24, 2011 at 9:01 pm |
    • skytag

They don't wear "magic underwear" for God's sake. What's wrong with people? Some Mormons wear a special undergarment that serves as a reminder of who they are and their devotion to God, much the same as Jewish men wear kippahs. Find something substantive to talk about.

June 24, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
    • John Richardson

If they don't wear magic underwear for god's sake, for whose sake DO they wear it?

Oh, oh, I getcha now!!!

June 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • Kent

Hey Bigray, "Talk to any person who believes strongly in their religion and they are the most judgmental people you will meet." sounds rather judgmental to me. Sure, there are judgmental people in every religion, just as there are judgmental atheists, just as there are judgmental people who say "I am no atheist". Perhaps being judgmental is NOT a religious problem, it is a HUMAN problem.
      And, by the way, the God in whom the "mormon" (or more correctly, LDS) religion believes has never and would never say "this group of people knows exactly what I want, do whatever they say and abandon your own free will". Without getting too far into the weeds of theology, there's the concept of continuing revelation and personal revelation-in the mormon religion you have the right to receive revelation (or truth) from God about your own life and your own family. And, free will is a God given right which God never takes away. For example, addictive practices and actions are what takes away free will.
      The "magic underwear" is a tired Beavis and Butthead type argument which skytag answered well. Maybe we can all read that and grow up a bit.

June 24, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

Kent..I wish we could all grown up and out of superst-ition..From the outside looking in at religion they all have bizarre rituals.. whether its wearing head gear, underwear, crosses,mumbling sayings, swinging inscents, gold frocks whatever , , actions that are supposed to please and impress some ent-ity or other.. none of whom have so far been seen, but have a vested interest in the afore mentioned items. Each god we have invented likes to have one upmanship on the others.. and the rituals have far more meaning than the other gods'. Religion allows you to hallucinate without the side effects of drugs.

June 25, 2011 at 12:08 am |
    • Evergreen7

Bigray, I think I love you.

June 25, 2011 at 12:42 am |
    • Brad

Atheism is way more dangerous than monotheistic belief system (which atheism is a belief system since you cannot disprove that their is no higher intelligence).

3 biggest killers in the past 100 years were all atheist. (Hitler, Stalin, and Mao) Why? Because people act poorly and have little value for life in the atheistic belief system.

How could someone who does not believe that they will stand before a God to be judged of their deeds, how could they feel any sense of accountability to their fellow man? This explains many of the morality issues with our society. People simply are losing faith in God and the belief that they will be judge someday for their actions. Bam. That's it.

Although, it must be said that there are many good people who are atheist who choose not to embrace a faith; however, how could it be to ones detriment if you were to "hope to believe" in your heart. Atheist should start there. A desire to hope to believe.

June 27, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  20. Tom

If you are mormon, you haven't done all of your research.

June 24, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
    • skytag

Why do you care? Are you so insecure with your own religious beliefs you have to discredit anyone who doesn't embrace your myths? Why don't you just worry about yourself and let God deal with Mormons and anyone else who doesn't believe exactly as you do?

June 24, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
    • Thought process

TOM: what kind of logic is that? " if you are momon, you haven't done all your reseach." dang man, ask yourself that question. have you done all your research?? if you have then you would for sure know that are many brillant people in that faith. to generalize an entire Religion as you implied "if you are mormon. . ." that is a very uneducated assumption or guess that you have come to on your own.

July 2, 2011 at 3:40 am |