home
RSS
June 24th, 2011

Explain it to me: Mormonism

With two Mormons running for the Republican presidential nomination and a play riffing on the religion tearing up Broadway, the country appears to be having a Mormon moment.

Here are 10 facts about Mormonism. What other questions do you have about the faith?

1. The official name of the Mormon church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

2. Mormons consider themselves Christian but their beliefs and practices differ from traditional Christianity in key ways, including belief in sacred texts outside the Bible and practices like posthumous proxy baptism and wearing special undergarments.

3. There are about 14 million Mormons today, with more than half living outside the United States.

4.  The Mormon religion was founded in upstate New York in 1830, when Joseph Smith published a translation of writings he said he found and translated from Egyptian-style hieroglyphics into English.  That's the Book of Mormon, which believers say consists of writings produced by ancient American civilizations.

5. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has outlawed polygamy since 1890.

6. Early Mormons faced intense persecution, so church headquarters relocated from New York to Missouri to Illinois in rapid succession. Joseph Smith was killed by a mob in Illinois. His successor, Brigham Young, led early Mormons to the Great Salt Lake in what's now Utah, where church headquarters remains.

7. Mormon men are expected to perform two years of missionary work beginning when they're 19 years old. Women can also do missionary work when they turn 21, but there is less pressure to do so.

8. Famous Mormons include J.W. Marriott, founder of the hotel chain, Glenn Beck and Gladys Knight, a convert.

9. Jon Huntsman and Mitt Romney represent different generations of Mormonism that have related pretty differently to American culture.

10. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is running some major ad campaigns to take advantage of burgeoning interest in the religion.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mormonism

soundoff (3,741 Responses)
  1. Curious R

At what point does a cult become a religion?

July 12, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • ldean50

When they file for tax exempt status and GET it. Just like Scientology. jiminey crickets. Two important points left out above. Another difference is that Mormons believe in 3 levels of heaven. An unmarried women cannot enter the highest, or "Celestial," level. Mormons believe that their god performed the first ceremony with Adam and Eve – a commandment. Women who do not marry are breaking the commandment; therefore, not worthy of heaven. Also, Mormons believe God & Jesus are of the flesh, just like man. When a Mormon man dies, he is given his own planet to rule just as Jesus does. Mormons believe a good Mormon man (what who works for and obeys the church and church's prophets) becomes the equal of their god when he dies.

July 13, 2011 at 10:28 am |
    • Batter Up

Mormonism is based on a Restoration theology. So, if the bible was corrupted, as Mormons say, then why wasn't THE BIBLE restored to its pristine state? Why go through all the trouble of "restoring" and translating some gold plates from an ancient dead language into the Book of Mormon? The New Testament, which was written in Greek, would have been much much easier to translate, as Greek is still a living language. Didn't the LDS Jesus and the LDS Angels have the ability and power to restore the Bible? This is an example of how rationality has to be suspended if you want to become a Mormon.

July 13, 2011 at 10:51 am |
    • adin

FYI–an unmarried MAN cannot make it to the highest level either. If you look for cr*p, you'll fine it. If you look for the good, you'll find that too.

Geez, people. I thought we as Americans were striving for tolerance. We seem to accept more a religion that embraces jihad than Mormonism. Does that seem wrong to anyone else? When was the last time you found a Mormon, no matter how weird, trying to kill innocent people? In the last century? Anyone?

July 14, 2011 at 9:39 am |
    • Dave

ldean50 – pretty much everything you listed in incorrect. You better check some authoritative sources.

July 14, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  2. dontcare

SquareRootOfMinusOne
    You're obviously a smart person mature person, so why dont you stop arguing over the internet about Mormons. if you dont like us you dont have to, no one asked for your opinions. you can believe whatever you want to believe about us, i dont care, you obviously have never even held a book of mormon before. getting quotes and putting them together proves nothing. its kind of weird how obsessed you are about proving the mormon religion wrong. since youre big on reading the bible. would Jesus Christ bad mouth anyone's religion like that? dont bother writing back im not gonna argue with you, just grow up

July 11, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • SquareRootOfMinusOne

This is the best that the LDS community can do? Is calling me "weird" and "obsessed" the best that can be done by the LDS community? Interesting tactics being deployed here. Attack the subject if the LDS has no objective case. This is not about me. This is about the objective truth (or untruth) of the LDS Faith. Focus on that if you can.

Acts 17:11 says that the noble Thessalonians would search the Scriptures daily to see if what they were told was in fact objectively true or not – not based on their subjective feelings, emotions, or experiences. Does anyone in the LDS community practice this New Testament verse or has it been conveniently bypassed?

July 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
    • BeamMeUpScotty

Joseph Smith has given his followers a veto power over the New Testament. Item 8 of the Mormon creed says that they believe the Bible to be the word of God only as far as it is translated correctly. This gives the Mormons a way out of haviing to explain embarrassing NT verses that do not jive with their Mormon bible.

July 12, 2011 at 10:14 am |
    • Stevie7

@BeamMeUpScotty – isn't this exactly what most christians do with the NT and the OT?

July 12, 2011 at 10:21 am |
    • BeamMeUpScotty

Stevie7, so Mormons are not in any exalted state over their fellow christians. They are as much in the wrong as your next denomination down the road.

July 12, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • Batter Up

Why is it that Mormons are not able to answer Christian questions? Why are Mormon statements out of phase with Christian doctrines? Why are both religions talking past each other? I think I've got the answer! The Mormon religion is a POST-MODERN RELIGION! Mormonism caters to post-modern relativism, and pluralism. In doing so it sacrifices absolutes, rationality, and unity in doctrine. Mormonism appeals to the Post-Modern person.

See: http://www.patheos.com/Resources/Additional-Resources/Mormonism-a-Postmodern-Religion-Ben-McGuire?offset=0&max=1

July 12, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
    • BeamMeUpScotty

Do you mean that Mormons are relativistic as in touchy-feely people? In that case I agree. I've witnessed that first hand. They told me to wait for a "burning in the bosom" and that would be a signal from God to me that their faith is right. They do put aside their thoughts and concentrate on their own touchy-feely experiences.

July 13, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
  3. Jim

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Andrea Bocelli. Awesome. I like Mormons
    [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAFj2-u2cGQ&w=640&h=360]

July 9, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  4. Dee

I have found this website, http://www.mrm.org
    It goes through every detail of the Mormon faith. Very interesting reading.

July 7, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  5. Russell

Try http://www.postmormon.org/exp_e/ and http://exmormonfoundation.org/

I'm wondering . . . where is the archaeological evidence for all these ancient civilizations in North America that the Book of Mormon talks about? So many just believe what they were taught instead of turning a critical eye to it.

July 5, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • Erika

There is no evidence because it is a fairy tale.

July 5, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
    • BeamMeUpScotty

I second the motion.

July 6, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
    • Woody Bailey

I'll third that!

July 7, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Daniel

It wasn't designed to be credible. It was simply designed to provide white pioneer settlers with a religious justification for the slaughter of natives in case anyone questioned whether they might have rights to the land.

July 10, 2011 at 1:57 am |
    • A. Brun

you're quoting an exmormon site, they're automatically biased.

July 10, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • Dave

Russell, please read " An ancient American setting for the Book of Mormon" by John L Sorenson. You can order it from amazon. Sorenson is a renown archeologist and holds a Ph.D. in anthropology from the University of California, Los Angeles.

July 14, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  6. Goulik

@Brian-Most of us Christians do not believe polygamy was ok'd in the OT just because some people practiced it. The bible is full of flawed humans making numerous mistakes and finding that we have a forgiving God who wants us to be with him despite ourselves.

@squarerootofminusone- While I can appreciate a desire for real answers, you have to be open enough to hear them. As a fellow conservative Christian I have been reading these posts to see what some of the real answers are and I can see that saying "Like God" is different than saying "Becoming god's" as Leeuniverse was trying to explain.

@leeuniverse- Can you explain the Adam/God thing you both referred to as I do not know anything about this reference...

July 5, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • SquareRootOfMinusOne

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches that all resurrected and perfected mortals become gods." Notice that this statement says that LDS believers become gods, they don't become like god. And also they becomes gods as in multiple gods.

July 6, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
  7. DaveinAustin

>>>>Did you know Mormons aren't polygamous, and not all Mormons are white? Let us explain Mormonism to you.

Amazing! Next thing you know, you guys are going to try to tell me not all Muslims are black, Buddhists Asian, or Quakers from Vermont and Pennsylvania.

July 2, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
  8. SquareRootOfMinusOne

Even more quotes from wikipedia.org (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints):

"Differences between the LDS Church and most of traditional Christianity include ... a doctrine of 'exaltation' which includes the ability of humans to become gods and goddesses in the afterlife." Reference used is: Carter, K. Codell (1992), "Godhood", in Ludlow, Daniel H., Encyclopedia of Mormonism, New York: Macmillan, pp. 553–55, ISBN 0-02-904040-X, http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/u?/EoM,3734 ("The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches that all resurrected and perfected mortals become gods."). This all sounds like what Satan said to Eve "you shall be as gods" (Gen 3:5). I'll side with the Holy Trinity on this one.

"He [Joseph Smith] also introduced the church to a full accounting of his First Vision, in which two heavenly "personages" (LDS interpret them to be God the Father and his Son, Jesus Christ) appeared to him at age 14. Long after Smith's death, this vision would come to be regarded by the LDS Church as the most important event in human history after the resurrection of Jesus." What about Pentecost?!?! Is Joseph Smith's vision is more important !! LDS Leaders, answer me on this one if you dare.

"Under the doctrine of [new] continuing revelation [such as the Book of Mormon], Latter-day Saints believe that Jesus, under the direction of Heavenly Father, leads the church by revealing his will to its President" This is in direct contradition to Jude 1:3 which says that the faith was "once for all delivered unto the saints." (ASV) I'll side with the New Testament on this one.

July 2, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • Carly12

It seems to me that you have done some research and are well versed in the Bible. I will say to you, as I say to my students; Wikipedia is nice place to start, a good jumping off point, but it is hardly a credible source. My suggestion to you and anyone else out there that is truly curious about Mormonism is to go to the source. If you visit http://www.mormon.org you can find information, or better yet go to http://mormon.org/missionaries/ and request to have the missionaries visit you. They will be the well-dressed young men or women who knock on your door. Ask them your questions. They may not know the answers right away, they are 19 after all and have various levels of preparedness, but if you give them time they can find them. You can also go to http://mormon.org/free-book-of-mormon/ and request a free Book of Mormon. Someone will probably call to follow up and make sure you really did order it, and see if you want more information. You can have the missionaries deliver it or it can come in the mail. No obligation. Read it... I dare you. You seem to believe in God, ask him if it’s true. See how you feel when you are reading. You can also find a meetinghouse near you at http://mormon.org/worship/ . You can go and meet the local members of the LDS church and see for yourself what kind of people they are. I am not saying you will be converted, you seem to not be very open to that, but at least then you will have a more realistic perception of the LDS church, its beliefs, and its members. Then again, who knows? You may surprise even yourself.

July 2, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • SquareRootOfMinusOne

Carly12, you mentioned that you have students so that would make you a Teacher/Professor. I have a very high regard for the Teaching Profession. You and all other Teachers are the backbone of our Economic/Democratic system if not also the backbone of the Spiritual makeup of our youth. Having said that and in all due respect, Jude 1:3 classifies the Book of Mormon on the same level as the Qur'an and the New World Translation Bible as add-ons to the Faith once and for all delivered to the Saints. Until this point is cleared up, I cannot be an accomplice to all this. It would be a denial of my faith as I see it unless a LDS Believer shows me otherwise. Also in all due respect, whenever I had posed any question to any of my Teachers/Professors, I would never be told that I should call a particular number, set up an appointment, have people that I don't even know come to my house, talk to people who are barely even 19, and have them explain to me or relay to me answers or references that the Teacher/Professor could have handed to me in minutes. I dare any LDS Leader to open up and answer my questions here and now.

July 2, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • Katherine Furgeson

What do you mean "If I dare" and why are you so afraid of Mormons? Yes, we have the utmost respect for what Joseph Smith did for the gospel but that doesn't mean we don't also appreciate and respect other events as well. You need to get to know some Mormons and stop blabbering about what you haven't experienced. Your post demonstrates just how little you actually know. People are usually afraid of things they don't understand.

July 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • SquareRootOfMinusOne

Katherine, so far I have received no rebuttals about the 3 wikipedia remarks I quoted about the LDS Church. LDS community, speak up! Put on line all your beliefs or else you will be responsible for what other people say about you.

July 10, 2011 at 10:13 am |
    • Dave

I will reply to your first question with a couple of Bible (New Testament) scriptures for you to review:

Romans 8:17 says "And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together." In this scripture Paul explains that we can be joint-heirs with Christ. This means that the faithful will inherit the same things which Christ received from his father.

Since it is always good to have two scriptures supporting a concept.....

Revelations 3:21 says "To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne."

To me these scriptures clearly show that those who follow Christ and suffer with him and overcome their sins, will sit on a throne in heaven an receive the same power that Christ received from the Father.

July 14, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • SquareRootOfMinusOne

Dave, your quotes say that God, in his great kindness & mercy, wishes to share his glory but does that make us God? For example, if I am a king and I choose to share my royal glory with a dog, does that dog become a glorious human king? A dog can sit on a king's throne but does that make him a glorious king? Of course not. A dog is by nature a dog. Can a leopard change his spots?

July 14, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
    • SquareRootOfMinusOne

Mormons say that their jesus is the spirit brother of satan so they have the same spiritual makeup and glory. I certainly don't want the same glory as satan. No sir.

July 14, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  9. SquareRootOfMinusOne

More quotes, this one from wikipedia.org (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_christian_theology):
    "From the late 19th century to the early twentieth groups established themselves that derived many of their beliefs from Protestant evangelical groups but significantly differed in doctrine. These include the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Latter Day Saints and many so called "cults". Many of these groups use the Protestant version of the Bible and typically interpret it in a fundamentalist fashion, adding, however, special prophecy or scriptures, and typically denying the trinity and the full deity of Jesus Christ."

July 2, 2011 at 11:43 am |
    • Brian

Curious thing to quote. Speak in generalities about a diverse group all with their own beliefs, and then at the end lump their beliefs together and imply they are LDS beliefs. Strange indeed.

July 3, 2011 at 1:54 am |
    • SquareRootOfMinusOne

Brian, so how would you reword the 'strange" wikipedia statement? Wikipedia has edit options on all its statements. LDS community, speak up! Put on line all your beliefs or else you will be responsible for what other people say about you.

July 3, 2011 at 9:41 am |
  10. gaye pierce

Mormonism is a very good religion. I am not a mormon but do carry on some of the beliefs as taught to me by my family. They are good,normal people. When my family was in trouble due to my Mother's serious illness there was always a babysitter there to take care of the children. Later in life when my Father was ill and alone, on their family night they came to see him. They brought him a christmas tree and decorated it. He was never forgotten by the church even though he did attend the services. It amazes me the strange beliefs people have about the church and do not even try to find out the beliefs.

July 2, 2011 at 5:08 am |
  11. Greg

I I find it interesting that those "Christians" that dismiss as silly or outlandish the story of a boy praying to God in the New York and being led to gold plates containing the dealings of God with those in the Americas (resulting in more scripture and wonderful teachings that support the Bible), believe in Noah and that the entire earth was underwater for 40 days and 40 nights. They also believe that the red sea was parted, that Jesus healed the blind, and on and on. I also take some exception to the article that states that "Mormon" beliefs and practices differ from traditional Christianity in key ways. The ways mentioned are not trivial but there are so many more things in common. You might say that Catholics differ from Baptists in key ways as well. Also, the King James version of the Bible makes reference to "baptizing for the dead". I think that it is wonderful that God continues to speak to men today and that continuing revelation exists. It is easy for many to believe things that happened 2,000 years ago, yet these same people are not open to God visiting men in later years. We need God and continuing revelation as much or more now. Jesus was also not accepted by most of the Jews when he came to the earth.

July 1, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
    • bhigh

I find it interesting, curious, and frightening that a rational person would believe anything written in the bible, koran, the book of mormon, or any religious text, much less base their life on it . Golden tablets, talking serpents, great floods, angels, virgin birth, it's all nonsensical. The healing of the sick and the dead coming to life I can sort of believe, because people had no knowledge of disease, coma, or brain death. I have to give those ancient men their props, though, their imaginations were second to none, or perhaps, they just had really really good pot.

July 1, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
    • New Mormon

Greg, thank you for your wonderful comment about the LDS church. I have been agnostic all my life because I hated how all the different religions judged the others. They are all based on the same thing. These so-called "Christians" are iggnorant and rude, they preach the Bible (which says to love others and to not judge them) and they go against their own preachings. Outragous! I am currently working on getting baptised into the LDS church (my husband is LDS) and my life has changed for the better! The Mormons are really good people who focus on family and living good clean lives. We follow the Bible and also the Book of Mormon which is just an additional testimony of Jesus' followers (which is talked about in the Bible by the way). What is so wrong about living a good, clean, healthy life with your family?! They wear the "special undergarments" to remind them to dress modestly, your body is a temple of God, why would you want to defile it? They are focused on the family and you can live with them eternally after death, who wouldn't want that? As for the posthumous proxy baptism (baptism for the dead) we believe if you weren't baptised during your life on Earth, your soul is stuck in a type of 'limbo', we practice baptisms for the dead so their soul may be free. As for those of you who don't like the idea of missionaries, give them a chance! They are good wholesome boys who want to share the gospel. They have brought so many blessings into our home. I believe as long as you try to live a holy life, one free of hate, anger, and prejudices, and belive in something, you will be redeemed. Give the mormons a chance! You may be surprised in what you learn!

July 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • Matt

To "New Mormon"

You say to give them a chance. I say to them "Leave me alone". I have my faith and they keep coming to my door, wanting to talk to me about their religion. I'm sorry but I have better things to do than talk to a stranger about their religion. I have a No Soliciting sign on my door but you still want to talk. And yes, you ARE soliciting. You are trying to get me to buy your religion. Even after I tell you I don't want to talk you STILL try to give me reasons why I should talk to you. Then, eventually you go away, then come back a few weeks or months later and try it again. There's something wrong with this picture.

July 11, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
  12. Beelzebub

Mormonism is a silly fairy tale sold to the masses years ago, and now prospers (like all other religions) because of the human propensity to look for magical explanations for things we don't yet understand scientifically, and adopt whatever dogma we've been fed as children. Let's face it, most people are like sheep and cattle when it comes to "faith" based doctrine, and no amount of reasoning will change the minds of the herd. It's just that in the case of LSD, it's seems more blatantly ridiculous to Americans since the story was woven more recently and closer to home.

July 1, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  13. BeamMeUpScotty

The Mormons have left the building!

July 1, 2011 at 5:54 am |
  14. HeavenSent

I want to become Mormon so I can have more wives. Zelda gets pretty boring.

Amen.

June 30, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
    • evensteven

No need to join a religion . . . just become a swinger . . .

July 4, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
  15. SquareRootOfMinusOne

An LDS Believer named David wrote "Nothing in our doctrine suggests or says that there are innumerable Gods in the Universe. We believe in ONE Heavenly Father. He is THE GOD of the Universe". Another LDS Believer named MeganColorado wrote the opposite: "Man can evolve to become like God" within the LDS faith which means the existance of immunerable Gods. Well what is the real LDS belief on this? I believe MeganColorado is the open and frank one and I respect and salute his frankness. My LDS friend David and all others, it's time to lay out your beliefs like MeganColorado and not beat around the bush. Have your leaders spell it all out in your Creed. If you are the chosen prophetic ones, what are you all afraid of? Did John the Baptist beat around the bush? People will respect you all the more for your frankness, believe me.

June 30, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
    • leeuniverse

It would do well for you not to bear false witness of people. Both individuals told you the truth. Both simply emphasized different aspects of the subject. Not emphasizing all aspects of a subject is not lying. Both are true statements, thus there is no lying involved.

July 1, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • SquareRootOfMinusOne

leeuniverse, so quotes are false witnesses to you? And Mormon science fiction is reality? Our world is in a real mess.

July 1, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • Brian

Believing that one can become like God does not mean there is not one God. The Bible clearly states that we are to strive to become perfect even as our Heavenly Father is perfect, and that if we overcome we will "be like Him" and we will inherit all that God has and share his throne. How you interpret that is up to you, but it sure sounds like we will become like God. And yet there are three persons (Father, Son and Holy Ghost) who are God but still there is one God. Again, you can interpret that any way you want, but it sounds like multiple persons/beings can be God and God is still one. So both LDS positions are correct and in harmony.

July 3, 2011 at 1:49 am |
    • SquareRootOfMinusOne

Brian, John 1:3 declares that there is a fundamental difference between God & Jesus (Uncreated/Cause/Creator) on one side and everything else such as man, angels, earth, & matter (Created/Caused) on the other side. Gen 1:27 further confirms that man is on the created side of things. So LSD's position is that we can go from being a creation to being an uncreated God? This defies logic because once you're created you can never possess an uncreated nature (which by definition means you were never created).

July 3, 2011 at 9:04 am |
    • Betsy

No, but Moses did! Ha!

July 4, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • SquareRootOfMinusOne

Betsy, you are saying "No" to what? And "Moses did" what? And "Ha" to what?

July 5, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
    • DyNasty Enterprises

Dear SquareRootOfMinusOne,

Those 2 statements are not opposites. Break them down. "Nothing in our doctrine suggests or says that there are innumerable Gods in the Universe. We believe in ONE Heavenly Father. He is THE GOD of the Universe"= Only one God. and...."Man can evolve to become LIKE God" = we can become more LIKE God that's it. Also, why would our loving Father in Heaven not want us to have everything he has. Think of your own parents. Would they not want you to have all the joys of life they have experienced? You took 2 things and tried to make them dissimilar. Just like everyone else. Why don't people start looking for similarities between their heavenly brothers and sisters instead of differences all the time. Geeze.
      -Sickened

July 10, 2011 at 11:54 am |
  16. Sanjiv

Another couple of key tenets of the Mormon faith – flip-flopping and expedient self-interest. This is a religion that has abandoned several core principles in order to assimilate more effectively into the American mainstream – polygamy, its a priori denigration of dark skinned people, and that whole Adam-God doctrine. Yes, the actual identify of God – they flip flopped on that one too.

If Romney or Huntsman's faith is going to inform their decisions – which it will of course, there's no way it can't – then voters can expect both men to sacrifice their principles for power and wealth at every turn. Because that is what their prophets have done.

For more, read Secrets & Wives: The Hidden World of Mormon Polygamy (Soft Skull) – http://bit.ly/hqzdR0

June 30, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • leeuniverse

You also would do well to not bear false witness. Mormonism hasn't "flipp-flopped" on anything. Both Plural Marriage and the Priesthood has historically been given and taken away according to Gods Will. These are the only two "actual" changes in the Church. Further, Plural Marriage is still doctrine, and so is the Priesthood. Plural Marriage simply isn't currently practiced. Your statement on Adam/God is also uninformed. First you do not understand the concept, second, the concept is still taught in the Temple, and third the anti-mormon version of what Brigham taught is not what he was teaching. Anti-mormons like you are simply ignorant, loving your "sound-bites" instead of the actual truth of things.

July 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • SquareRootOfMinusOne

leeuniverse, you wrote "Plural Marriage is still doctrine". Good! Now we're getting somewhere. This could be the beginning of the coming out of True Mormonism. It's time to lay out your beliefs and not beat around the bush. Have your leaders spell it all out in your creed. If you are the chosen prophetic ones, what are you all afraid of? Did John the Baptist beat around the bush? People will respect you all the more for your frankness, believe me.

July 1, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • SquareRootOfMinusOne

Furthermore, it is belittling of you, leeuniverse, to call anyone "ignorant". Is this what is meant when people say that "Mormons are great people with great values?" Just stick to and present facts in your argument in a civilized way. Let the world finally have the real truth behind Mormonism, I dare you.

July 1, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
    • Brian

Polygamy is all over the old testament. Either you believe God sanctioned or you don't believe the Bible. No Christian (or Jew) can deny this and say they believe the Bible. So it is not just LDS doctrine, it is Abrahamic doctrine.

July 3, 2011 at 1:52 am |
    • Mayflower

I expect a Mormon president to flip-flop and be just about as honest and productive as any other president. The Mormon leaders will interfere with a Mormon president as often as the Pope did in JFK's presidency (and remember, this was a huge concern back in the 60's!)

I am guessing your problem isn't so much with actual Mormonism, since you seem to lack any real knowledge of the subject, and more with anyone who proclaims a faith which differs from your own (or any faith at all , for that matter).

July 3, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  17. Anj

Mormon's are great people with great values who try to love as the Savior taught. Never met a finer group of people. Wish more of my neighbors acted the same –

June 30, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  18. bhigh

Blahblahblah. Surprise surprise. A religion consists of bunch of made-up crap. This is news?

June 30, 2011 at 10:46 am |
    • Mayflower

Blah blah blah...another atheist whines that religious topics are getting news coverage. Whine, moan, complain.

July 3, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
  19. Floyd Mayweather is a duck and he likes to quack quack using a fight against Manny Pacquiao to market his upcoming fight against Victor Ortiz.

I believe every basket has it own rotten apples. Then why judge/stereotype all beacuse of the wrong doings of the few.

June 30, 2011 at 12:34 am |
  20. Marie Kidman

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSvqMBj-ig&w=640&h=360]
    ##

June 29, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
    • Floyd Mayweather is a duck and he likes to quack quack using a fight against Manny Pacquiao to market his upcoming fight against Victor Ortiz.

MARIE...You're still a KID, yet to become a (wo)MAN.

June 30, 2011 at 12:37 am |