home
RSS
June 24th, 2011

Explain it to me: Mormonism

With two Mormons running for the Republican presidential nomination and a play riffing on the religion tearing up Broadway, the country appears to be having a Mormon moment.

Here are 10 facts about Mormonism. What other questions do you have about the faith?

1. The official name of the Mormon church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

2. Mormons consider themselves Christian but their beliefs and practices differ from traditional Christianity in key ways, including belief in sacred texts outside the Bible and practices like posthumous proxy baptism and wearing special undergarments.

3. There are about 14 million Mormons today, with more than half living outside the United States.

4.  The Mormon religion was founded in upstate New York in 1830, when Joseph Smith published a translation of writings he said he found and translated from Egyptian-style hieroglyphics into English.  That's the Book of Mormon, which believers say consists of writings produced by ancient American civilizations.

5. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has outlawed polygamy since 1890.

6. Early Mormons faced intense persecution, so church headquarters relocated from New York to Missouri to Illinois in rapid succession. Joseph Smith was killed by a mob in Illinois. His successor, Brigham Young, led early Mormons to the Great Salt Lake in what's now Utah, where church headquarters remains.

7. Mormon men are expected to perform two years of missionary work beginning when they're 19 years old. Women can also do missionary work when they turn 21, but there is less pressure to do so.

8. Famous Mormons include J.W. Marriott, founder of the hotel chain, Glenn Beck and Gladys Knight, a convert.

9. Jon Huntsman and Mitt Romney represent different generations of Mormonism that have related pretty differently to American culture.

10. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is running some major ad campaigns to take advantage of burgeoning interest in the religion.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mormonism

soundoff (3,741 Responses)
  1. clearfog

Mormonism. Is that the cult where the founder asks his followers to eat his flesh and drink his blood, does not allow its clerics to marry, speaks in a dead language, and does not allow women significant power in the governing structure?

October 9, 2011 at 2:40 am |
    • Todd Morgan

Clear fog. none of those things are true about our religion. I am LDS, there are 14 million of us. The LDS church as a great reliigion. wo do not eat flesh and blood, we speak a regular language, and you probably have mormon neighbors. If you have ever been to one of our church services you will be amazed. The members run the church, we have not pastor that preaches. Every member of our church knows the gospel and can testify of their experiences. I could clarify alot more if you were interested. yourvisiondecision@gmail.com

October 9, 2011 at 2:48 am |
    • tffl

Chill, Todd. He is making fun of people calling Mormonism a cult by pointing out things that could be considered cult-like that happen to be fairly central tenets of Catholicism, a group most people would not consider a cult...

October 9, 2011 at 3:14 am |
  2. Rocky

Mormonism is a heretical, brainwashing, cult. I will never vote for anyone ever associated with that cult. If you take a look at their history in the US, it is steeped in evil practices, brainwashing, and hypocrisy. I feel sorry for any "Mormon missionary" who ever dares to ring my doorbell. They are going to get an earful.

October 9, 2011 at 2:13 am |
    • no religion

rockey: if you had money to go to college and at least take a religion class, you would have learned that Christianity is the biggest cult, trying to give nice people and earful if they don't believed and their savor.

October 9, 2011 at 2:20 am |
    • LivingInReality

While I don't intend to make a bad day for anyone that rings my doorbell (I actually enjoy the discourse), I agree with statements about Mormonism. Of course, all of this has been proven true over and over and over again for all of the religions, but hey, I guess this article is only about the Mormons.

October 9, 2011 at 2:23 am |
    • Mormons are creepy

I completely agree with you....!!!!

October 9, 2011 at 2:42 am |
    • tffl

The accusations you make could be made against pretty much any religion. Certainly, effectively any religion is heretical to other religions. Many have accused evangelical Christians groups of brainwashing members. Members of all religions (and arguably leaders of many religious groups, including both mainstream and fringe Christian groups) can be validly accused of hypocrisy and in many people's eyes committing evil acts. All this is personal point of view – if you agree with a group, it's true/mainstream/whatever – if you disagree with it, it's bad/evil/cultish/whatever...

October 9, 2011 at 3:24 am |
  3. Ryan

Mormonism 101: Black people were not allowed to go into their temple or hold priesthood positions until 1978. That was 33 years ago. How old was Romney when they decided that Black people should be allowed? Did he also hold that belief when he was worshipping in the temple? How has this affected his view of Black people? Did God support their belief then flip flop in 1978? How did God tell them he was changing his mind?

October 9, 2011 at 2:09 am |
    • no religion

reality 101 I wouldn't let black people in my religion either

October 9, 2011 at 2:12 am |
    • Todd Morgan

To explain my religion on a bulletin board is difficult. But there are hundreds of thousands of blacks in our church. Heck, even Gladys Knight converted to our faith! The growth of our church in Africa is nothing short of MIRACULOUS. Many people have had spiritual manifestations, visions, dreams. and God is POWERFUL. Why our church did not give priesthood the blacks I don't know, but in the bible the church went FIRST to the Jews and then SECOND to the gentiles. The Jews were not allowed to proselyte to the Gentiles until the conversion of PAUL who spoke multiple languages and was a Roman citizen. The Jews despised the Samaritans and saw then as unclean.

If you want to see a true miracle, see this article about the expansion of our church in AFRICA!

October 9, 2011 at 2:25 am |
    • What If

Todd Morgan, "Miracle" conversions - meh! You go to poverty-stricken, uneducated, supersti.tious people and feed them your line of baloney propaganda along with some physical nourishment, and they fall for it! I would not be proud of these tactics.

October 9, 2011 at 2:33 am |
  4. TexMexMo

Russtino I have noticed that you are very adept at avoiding answering questions directly. So now I will ask you directly: Why have I never met an African American Mormon or Native American Mormon?

October 9, 2011 at 2:08 am |
    • Larry Seebeck

Because apparently you haven't looked very hard. There are several in my ward of both races. Good day.

October 9, 2011 at 2:22 am |
    • Russtino

How often have you attended church at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints? I will admit that I've only met about a half dozen Native American members in my life. But I've met dozens of African American members.

I am curious. You seem to hate the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I would assume that if you do hate us that you would avoid us. If you do avoid us, how can you use your own experiences of meeting members as a basis for your arguments?

October 9, 2011 at 2:37 am |
    • krats1976

I have good friends of both ethnic groups who are active members of the LDS Church.

October 9, 2011 at 2:55 am |
  5. TexMexMo

Pick any state in the union. Why don't we see people of different ethnic backgrounds in your "religion"?

October 9, 2011 at 2:03 am |
    • Nuchu

Really Tex? You really haven't seen people of "different ethnic backgrounds" in the LDS religion? How hard have you looked? I am a Ute Indian, and a Mormon. I also personally know several black Mormons. NOTE: So far, none that I have met are Africans, and a few are not Americans, so keep your politically correct labels. Choose not to believe. You are free to. That is your agency. That goes for you too, no religion. I would no sooner force my belief on you than I would allow you to deny me mine. But why temper that unbelief with hatred and vitriol? In what way are you threatened by Mormons? Did a Mormon once hurt your feelings?

October 9, 2011 at 2:24 am |
    • Russtino

Nuchu, I love you. You wonderful things. I just wanted you to know.

October 9, 2011 at 2:39 am |
    • Russtino

*say

October 9, 2011 at 2:41 am |
    • Nuchu

Thank you Russtino. I love you too.

October 9, 2011 at 2:53 am |
  6. Shirley U Jest

Fact 11 – The Mormons and Muslims are the only two religions to attack The United States of America. The Mormons army to defend it's caliphate of Utah. The Muslims to subjugate it's vision of a caliphate of America. They, as written in both of their scriptures, are the one and the same.

October 9, 2011 at 1:53 am |
    • Todd Morgan

there are many injustices in the world, but no religion can be proved or disproved by historical facts. people are in a religion because of the WITNESS they receive from the Holy Spirit. In my case, if I were deny my testimony in my religion, that is not possible. I have some many witnesses of why I believe to explain to you would take days and days. but my experience is very similar to any person who is of faith, they believe because god witnesses to them.

October 9, 2011 at 1:56 am |
    • Todd Morgan

October 9, 2011 at 1:57 am |
    • no religion

do yourself a favor and go to college and take a religion class. educate yourself

October 9, 2011 at 2:07 am |
  7. Michael

CNN has it all wrong...what about all of the incredible humanitarian work the LDS church does?

October 9, 2011 at 1:44 am |
    • HotAirAce

Do all the humanitarian works of any/all religions make up for the lies and evil they spread?

October 9, 2011 at 1:48 am |
    • Todd Morgan

churches a great work in the world. without churches suffering in the world would be much greater.

October 9, 2011 at 1:49 am |
  8. no religion

come on people , religion is only based on faith we have no real proof that there is a god out there. religion is just a fairly tale

October 9, 2011 at 1:43 am |
    • David

When your on your death bed what will you be thinking about???

October 9, 2011 at 2:05 am |
    • Brett

The proof is there when you receive Christ into your heart as personal Lord & Saviour. That's when the change takes place and the miracles happen. It's not a religious experience but a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Then you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free.

October 9, 2011 at 2:09 am |
    • Okaaaaaay

"personal relationship with Jesus Christ." - Phooey. You are talking to yourself.

October 9, 2011 at 2:13 am |
    • What If

David
      "When your on your death bed what will you be thinking about???"

I don't know... maybe:

- remembering lovely experiences in life
      - thinking of things I want to tell my loved ones before I go
      - counting the minutes until the next pain meds arrive
      - counting the number of times in my life that I have had to correct people like you on the misuse of "your" when they mean "you're" (you are)

October 9, 2011 at 2:18 am |
  9. Mirosal

@ Todd Morgan ... god is NOT more powerful than man. Every human has the capability to kill off any god. It's quite easy.. stop believing all the mythological hype. Ever what happened to Zeus, Apollo, Aphrodite, Isis, Thor etc. etc. Stop believing and they go away. No one is killing or dying over the glory of Zeus these days, are they?

October 9, 2011 at 1:43 am |
    • Todd Morgan

not true. because if an angel appeared to you tomorrow and told you to change your ways and believe, you would. not because you wanted to, not because you had to, but because of the WITNESS you would have of it. Almost all of the original apostle were MURDERED because of their beliefs, they remained true because you they knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that christ was real. God appeared to PAUL on the road to Damascus, he was fighting against the church. He didn't want to believe, God called him.

The growth from 8 people to 14 milliion happened and continue to happen because God calls people out of the world to serve him.

yourvisiondecision@gmail.com

October 9, 2011 at 1:53 am |
    • Okaaaaaay

All righty then, "God", the angels, and whichever other supernatural beings there might be know where I am. I guess you are special... and they just don't like me 🙁

October 9, 2011 at 2:01 am |
  10. Mike Koch

As an active Mormon, it is always so interesting to me to read these comments and see how I am viewed by others and by the media. I did recently serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and loved my time as a missionary. For anyone who is interested in knowing why one dude is standing by his religion, I have a sort of profile which explains why I am a Mormon: http://mormon.org/me/2G66/

October 9, 2011 at 1:41 am |
  11. scotonfire

Mankind has a need to believe in something greater than itself simply because it is so self destructive. When the time comes where men believe in themselves there need to cling to the idea of a deity will end and only then will the Earth find true peace and harmony.

October 9, 2011 at 1:33 am |
  12. TexMexMo

Okay Russtino...break it down for us here in the U.S....or more specifically Arizona, Texas, or even New Mexico. Let us know how culturally varied your religion is. I really am curious to find out to rule out ethnicity :0)

October 9, 2011 at 1:30 am |
    • Russtino

I can't, I've never been to a congregation in any of those states. However, I do know that in southern California there are congregations specifically set up for Cambodians and Spanish speakers. These are set up so that all the lessons and meetings can be presented in the native language of the people attending. As far as English language congregations that I've been too, I have never been to one that has been all 'white'. I don't know what the current demographic trends are in the United States so I don't know if they are proportionate.

October 9, 2011 at 1:46 am |
    • krats1976

I just spent 4 years in Houston, TX. My ward had members of many races. My stake had two branches for Spanish speakers. My friend (Asian-American) moved from my ward into a ward that is predominately African-American. In the Houston area, there are also branches for speakers of Vietnamese and Chinese. That's just what I know about , based on the three out of 17 stakes (similar to a Catholic diocese) in the Houston area that I interacted with on a regular basis.

October 9, 2011 at 3:05 am |
  13. max

Don't Mormons also believe that if they live their life in some proper way that in the afterlife they become gods themselves?

October 9, 2011 at 1:22 am |
    • Todd Morgan

christ said "be ye therefore perfect even as your father in heaven is perfect" Mormons believe in PROGRESSION. we believe that progression does not STOP in the after life. we can continue to progress until perfection not that everyone will, but Christ declared in the bible that it was POSSIBLE. not in this life though. we will need the afterlife to achieve that level of improvement.

yourvisiondecision@gmail.com

October 9, 2011 at 1:25 am |
    • max

so, that is a yes? I have a question, and I don't mean this to be disrespectful, I have just wondered about this since a friend told me about this. Do Mormons believe that our God is special in some way? or is he just one of many, or an infinite number of gods?

October 9, 2011 at 1:28 am |
    • Todd Morgan

max that is a yes! God said that in the bible "be ye therefore perfect even as your father in heaven if perfect" – Now, mormons do not believe that everyone wlll become "perfect" or that anyone gets a free pass, Only God knows how this will be possible. It may not be possible for may people, but the after life is INFINITE TIME...so given enough time I would imagine any person could learn alot

October 9, 2011 at 1:35 am |
  14. scotonfire

Logic and good reason will trump faith any day and is the churches enemy. While I have faith there is a Creator that made us my logic tells me He hasn't visited Earth in human form. Jesus was an exceptional human and a proficient orator but that's all. He did not walk on water, he did not turn water into wine and the miraculous things he may or may not have performed have been exaggerated to the tenth degree by his followers throughout history. To believe in the Mormon faith is to believe you will ascend to the heavens in a corporal state and become a literal God. If you ask them any tough questions they cop out and tell you to "pray" for an answer. People see and believe whatever suits there needs at a particular point in their lives and whatever promotes their agenda. I think Mormons are good people but they arguably have a fear based religion, visions of grandeur and are plagued by paranoid delusions. Perhaps not an atheist but someone a little more level headed than a Mormon would be better suited to lead the most powerful country in the world. This is just my humble opinion, sorry if I offended anyone.

October 9, 2011 at 1:20 am |
    • Todd Morgan

god is more powerful than man. If he wants to call you out of the world he can. He did it with Peter who was a fisherman and god made him a "fisher of men" You could use all the logic in the world but if Jesus Christ or an Angel appeared to you that would have a more powerful effect in your life than all the knowledge you have received to date. The holy ghost if a powerful powerful witness that can testify of truth. Non-believers do not understand spiritual things but that does not mean that they do not exist

October 9, 2011 at 1:31 am |
    • tallulah13

Nor does it mean that your belief is anything more than a delusion, Tood.

October 9, 2011 at 1:35 am |
    • tallulah13

Sorry. That was supposed to be Todd.

October 9, 2011 at 1:36 am |
    • HotAirAce

You might be right but there is no evidence that any of your "ifs" have ever happened or are likely to happen.

October 9, 2011 at 1:38 am |
  15. ThinkAgain

This overview barely scratches the surface of Mormonism, so I encourage folks to do their own research. My biggest problems with the religion is it's opposition to independent theological thought and the subjugation of women. For example, did you know that when a man and a woman get married, the man is given her "secret name" so he can pull his through to "the other side" after death (Laake 118). A man, therefore, has complete control of his wife's eternal life.

Also, after death, a good Mormon man who has followed a few certain rules is catapulted to exalted status and receives his own planet to populate and rule over (Fife 103).

Yes, every faith has quirks, but this one is especially so, given that Mormons believe this literally.

October 9, 2011 at 1:15 am |
    • Todd Morgan

you are obviously not a spiritual person, every spiritual person has had witnesses through the holy ghost (read acts chapter 2). God is much more powerful than man, if God wants you to believe he has the power to reveal it even if you are not looking for it or don't want it. Look at the conversion of PAUL in the New Testament. He was fighting against the church and Christ appeared to him and he fell off his horse

October 9, 2011 at 1:28 am |
    • JamesofFaith

Can you provide complete references? I am not sure how to find your in-text citations. Thanks.

October 9, 2011 at 1:30 am |
    • tallulah13

Todd, you simply believe what you have been told. There is no proof that any of the supernatural events of the bible took place.

October 9, 2011 at 1:39 am |
  16. Todd Morgan

As an active Mormon, LDS faith, I would like to bear my witness to my religion. For every dig at our religion, there are thousands and thousands of witnesses to its truth. In my life I have seen conversions to the church through dreams, visions, miraculous healings, and dramatic spiritual experiences. No person is involved in a religion because the have to be, it would be far easier to just do whatever a person wanted without having the moral obligation of a religion.

For any person to assume that you can disprove a religion through arguing facts, providing so-called evidence against will never win, because God callls people out of the world for his own purposes. My life has been a series of many undeniable spiritual experiences that I haven't asked for, God chose to deliver them to me.

Peter was called as an apostle to be a "fisher of men" Stephen was stoned in Acts 7 for his belief in christ and saw god the father and christ on his right hand. many, many people have suffered religious persecution not because they live misery, but because God revealed his will to them.

Any person who chides the mormon religion, has no understanding of spiritual things. I have seen many conversions to my church...almost all of them has involved deeply spiritual experiences including the strong witness of the holy ghost.

In 2000 I had a dream about my future and to the T everything I dreamed about has come to pass.
    A man in my congregation joined the church after having angelic visitations
    I have heard of many people being converted by the holy ghost witnessing to them
    One man I met told me his conversion story which was the result of a dream and a person he knew appeared to him in his dream and introduced mormonism to him.

To summarize why any person is a mormon I would venture to say it is because of the spiritual manifestations that they have received and NO so called human manufactured or reasoned evidence could convince them that they are wrong. Spiritual experiences have far greater effect on the heart and mind then any reasoning

I I did not ask to be involved in the LDS church...I am a member because my mother converted from being a presyterian, but my life has been full of many, many witnesses. I love my religion, but I respect any and all religions including catholics, prodestants, muslim, hindus, jews, and so forth. I celebrate my religion, but I know god has a plan for everyone, and he created all people, it is not for me to try to decide what he is doing for every person.

October 9, 2011 at 1:11 am |
    • ThinkAgain

Your "conversion" examples sound like hallucinations or delusions of a sick, fearful mind, longing for a sense of belonging.

October 9, 2011 at 1:17 am |
    • evensteven

Many millions of people, both Mormon and non-Mormons have spiritual experiences and vivid dreams. Joseph Smith had visions and epiphanies with a greater power as have hundreds of thousands of non-Mormons. Everyone describes their visions in the language they are comfortable with and with concepts and figures from their upbringing. If Joseph Smith had been Buddhist, he might have described his visions as coming from Buddha. It's the same around the world. People ultimately have to put words to experiences that are basically abstract and based on feelings—yet it is the words that places limitation upon them.

October 9, 2011 at 1:26 am |
    • tallulah13

You had an emotional experience. Good for you. There is nothing to indicate that you experienced anything other than what your mind wanted you to experience. This sort of emotional manipulation is exactly what cults do.

October 9, 2011 at 1:41 am |
  17. D Cross

4, I wonder if you are John. If so, you taught me many hateful things. None of them were Biblical or honest. You hurt my mother more than you know. Your fancy diamond rings and 'mansion' helped me wake up to what you were doing. It took a long time to see just how evil your teachings were, and how hateful your beliefs were to those in need such as my mother.
    What i know is that in following the teachings of the New Testament, in James we are encouraged to pray to know the truth. I did and I do. Nothing in the Book of Mormon contradicts the true teachings of the Bible. I know them to be true. I also forgive you.

October 9, 2011 at 12:56 am |
  18. Andrew

We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.

We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

October 9, 2011 at 12:40 am |
    • DiscipleofElijah

It appears that probable LDS Church members are copying and pasting the same 13 paragragh dissertation of LDS Church beliefs.

I have to take exception to paragrapg #8, i.e. "We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God."

The Bible is the inspired, devine word of God, given by God to the authors of the books of the Bible. The word of God requires no translation by Joseph Smith or any other Mormon "prophet". Joseph Smith in his translation of the Bible to the Book or Mormon changed the meaning of certain passages which were the word of God.

LDS Church members have been deceived by a false "prophet".

October 9, 2011 at 1:39 am |
    • HotAirAce

Given that The Babble is likely to be a poorly written fairy tale, and therefore there are no true prophets, I suggest that all cults have been equally deceived.

October 9, 2011 at 1:44 am |
  19. Mark

ALL religions are UNprovable by definition. Mormonism is one of the only religions that is easily DISprovable. The entire book of Mormon is moot if American Indians did not descend from Hebrews who crossed the Atlantic long before the days of Columbus. DNA evidence proves without a doubt that they did not. I'm not anti-Mormon, but I find it an odd religion because of the many blindfolds it requires one to wear against clear evidence to the contrary.

October 9, 2011 at 12:35 am |
    • retard mark

not only the mormon religion sounds a bit odd, is all religions that dont make sense and each one is only basd on faith and not real proved.

October 9, 2011 at 1:39 am |
  20. Rod M. Chicago

What they believe about people of color makes me afraid along with changing christianity for their own purpose.

October 9, 2011 at 12:32 am |
    • HotAirAce

Are you really suggesting no one else has ever changed christianity for their own purposes? You do know that there are more than 30,000 versions of christianity, don't you?

October 9, 2011 at 12:40 am |
    • Tia

No one could change Christianity more than the so-called Christians themselves have.

October 9, 2011 at 1:42 am |
    • Todd Morgan

we have hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions of persons of color in our religion. in fact more than 50% of the members of the LDS church is outside of the U.S. millions in south america. growth of our church in Africa is astounding.

You can read this article about the growth of the church in Africa.

October 9, 2011 at 1:45 am |