home
RSS
July 4th, 2011

Atheists explain flying ad campaign

On the Fourth of July across the U.S., American Atheists are taking to skies with a flying banner ad campaign.

They will be flying over busy holiday hot spots like beaches and parks with banners that read: "Atheism is Patriotic" and "God-LESS America."

Some pilots balked and would not fly the banner ads.

Justin Jaye of Fly Signs Aerial Advertising, told the Belief Blog last week,  "I've been in this business for 20 years and I've never run into so much resistance on people flying," Jaye said. "I've had pilots who are actual atheists who said, 'Justin, I am an atheist and I won't fly it because I can't wear a bulletproof vest.'"

In the video above, Rick Wingrove from the Virginia chapter of American Atheists explains to CNN's T.J. Holmes more about the campaign and why they picked the Fourth of July.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Content Partner • Faith • TV-CNN Newsroom • United States

soundoff (1,760 Responses)
  1. GonzoG

Let nature take its course.

July 4, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • John

They're just trying to enlighten the blind sheep out there in the world. If I saw someone suffering or leading a false, hopeless life, I'd spend a bit of time and effort to help them out.

July 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • jason

"Why would atheists want to waste all this money advertising their opposition of a god they do not believe exists.

Let nature take its course."

This question demonstrates such a blatant lack of critical thought and consideration I don't know where to begin LOL
      Try again.

July 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • zamedo66

thats seem's particularly ironic john...considering the fact that athiest's in the first place blast religion for trying to impose its ideals on other people. yet what are athiest's doing right now....

July 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • Donna

Atheists are natural beings, so I don't know how this is anything other than nature taking it's course.

July 4, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • BeamMeUpScotty

@zame

Just like how we teach children that there are no monsters under their bed, RATIONAL people are teaching IRRATIONAL people a FACT:

No "God" by any of man's made-up religions exists.

July 4, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • Zeke2112

Every human being on the planet is born an atheist and remains that way until their parents program them with the same lunacy they were programmed with by THEIR parents. If you saw someone pushing Paganism/Islam/Boogeyman/Insert-your-delusion-here on a young schoolkid, I'm sure you'd probably intervene as well.

Most of the misery in the world can be traced to religion and its deluded followers. Who in their right mind would sit back and let that continue?

July 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
  2. jdonaldson

I think America should have President-for-Life Mickey Mouse....I think they would be comfortable with that.

July 4, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  3. Luigi

Ashlyn, why do you call those people Christians? Are they? Or do they just say they are?

What is a Christian?

July 4, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
  4. concepcion cidre

God is real, He is our Creator. All we can do is pray for these people to get closer to God.

July 4, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • Luigi

You can do more than pray. Show some love. Surprise them with love. You never know.

July 4, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • Jake

You could also consider that maybe we've got a point. Maybe you could try to open your mind and just explore the thought that god doesn't exist and your religion is wrong. Have you ever truly given that possibility an objective chance? Don't worry, you won't go to "hell" for doing so. You might even end up a lot happier.

July 4, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • BeamMeUpScotty

"God" is real! Cool!

Now please logically answer this question:

WTH is thingy "God"?!

July 4, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Zeke2112

Pushing the same fallacy that atheists are poor souls who never had a chance to get to know God. The truth is that many atheists were raised as Christians until they realized that what was pushed on them made no sense whatsoever, and that the same people telling them to live a saintly life were not doing so themselves.

Your God is the one that leaves babies to die in hot cars when their idiot parents forget them. He's the same one who supposedly bans condoms and allows millions of Africans to die of AIDS every year. He's the same one that allows con-artists like Joel Osteen to become incredibly wealthy while thousands do not eat at all.

Sorry, I'm not interested in getting any closer to such a being. If humanity is the best he can do, I'm sorely disappointed in his supposed omnipotence.

July 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  5. Akeso

Hmmmm.....what ever became of the famed "freedom of religion"? Why do we continue to ram ones personal beliefs into someone else' throat? I thought everybody has a right to perform or discuss a philosophical concept without being threatened, belittled, or shouted down. Atheism/Agnosticicm does not always mean "there is not God", but maybe it allows for the concept of "I have not seen proof yet". Why do we not let others express their own form of thinking or believing. Even being an atheist mean "I believe in.... there is no God". However, there are fellow citizens who seemingly want to use fire and sword to punish those who do not fit their ideas. Crusades again?

July 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • Jake

Akeso, I am also an atheist. However, I don't consider it a "belief". It is simply a lack of belief in what I consider to be fairy tales. It doesn't really say anything about what I do believe.

July 4, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • james t.(78)

I think the difference is agnositcs do allow for the possibility but would need to see proof, as in a god standing in front of them. Atheists as i understand are completely contridictory by definition, in that they do not believe in god at all. This means they are constantly asking for proof, but would still not believe if provided them.

July 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • Luigi

Jake, who is the center of your life?

July 4, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • Patrick

@james. You're sadly mistaken. Atheists don't believe in God because there is NO proof.

@Idsmom; I'd worship reason over blind faith any day. Reason gave us science while faith gave us the Dark Ages.

July 4, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • Jake

Luigi – By definition, I am the center of my life. Without me, my life doesn't exist. I don't really get the question.

July 4, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • Luigi

Patrick, what is your definition of God?

July 4, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • Luigi

Jake, where I was going is to ask the question of how someone can be an atheist without first defining God. There are several definitions of God. One is "God is the center of your life." As you are the center of your life, you are your own God. Thus you can't be an atheist using that definition of God unless you deny that you exist.

Another definition is that God is the creator of the universe. Stephen Hawking says the universe could have created itself. If that's correct, the universe is God. The universe exists so God exists.

Another definition is God created you. I suspect you take the position that you were created by your parents. Two gods. When you were a child, you almost certainly considered them to be gods - psychologists call this an aspect of magical thinking. The typical human child (who is young enough) believes their parents control everything including the rain.

I submit you are an atheist with respect to the God of Abraham and perhaps with respect to other gods as well.

How do you feel about Spinoza's God? (I chatted with an atheist, who ceased to be one when he actually researched Spinoza's God. You might read about Einstein on that subject as well.)

July 4, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • tallulah13

No, James. I became an atheist when I realized that there was no proof of, nor need for, any supernatural superior being. If I was given sufficient proof, I would believe, but two thousand year old stories and personal anecdotes, many of which have logical explanations, just don't cut it. I'm simply looking for the verifiable truth.

July 4, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • Luigi

I'd like to explain my post a bit. It is based on my background in philosophy and mathematics. More so in mathematics.

July 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • Ty

@ Luigi

Atheism is the lack of belief in god. Therefore it is something that is undeniable. You seem to be inferring if you are able to define something that means it is god.

July 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
    • Ty

indefinable not undeniable...damn autocorrect...

July 4, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • Luigi

No, Ty. I think you have my point backwards. I'm saying that god doesn't have a universally agreed upon definition. Unless we have a definition a word (ie, the God of Abraham, the Creator of the Universe, the Center of My Life), how can you be for or against the meaning of word?

I'll try a different way. When you say "god" what do you mean? My point is that I do *not* know what you mean. At the very least, you haven't communicated with me.

If however, you say "I don't believe in the God of Abraham" then I know what you mean.

How do you feel a bout Spinoza's God?

July 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Ty

@ Luigi

You seem to have missed my point as well. I do not define god because there is no reproducible evidence suggest there is one, therefore god is irrelevant to me and so is belief, which is the point of Atheism. When I say God I mean any inference of it. However when I use the term God, it’s not a matter of what I believe but what the other person believes. I use the term God in the context of the other person’s belief, generally, otherwise it is used to represent any form God could take.

On 'Spinoza's God', I do not know much but from what I can tell, via the Wikipedia page, it’s basically religion through thought instead of belief.

July 4, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  6. nina

it makes me dizzy how christians shift between their majority position and dependant discrimination towards minorities such as athiests and gay people to reverting to a claimed victim status of being picked on by the very people they are able to discriminate against by virtue of christians being the majority

the days of throwing xtians to the lions are so far gone that any victim claims are long extinguished and it's time that xtians understand that they've been feeding the lions far too long

July 4, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • Luigi

Nina, how do you know the people you refer to as Christians are really Christians?

July 4, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • tallulah13

Luigi, because they call themselves christians. They certainly believe that is what they are.

July 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • Luigi

tallulah13, why does calling yourself a Christian make you a Christian? I could call myself a Major League Baseball player, would that make me one?

I could be delusional and call myself a MLB player, would that make me one?

July 4, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • Frogist

@Luigi: Calling yourself a Christian makes you a Christian because there are no other requirements for being one. Being a major league baseball player comes with some requirements.

July 5, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  7. pdfsmail

I cant stand anything like this from EITHER Christians or Atheists... to me they are both just as benevolent, arrogant and unwilling to accept that you can't just make people believe the way you do. People will believe what they want. Neither "religion" oops atheism is a religion – belief of no deities... can definitively prove they are 100% correct... no way no how, no scripture, no theory in science completely 100% proves anything. I have my own belief and can understand if someone else believes differently, and if they want to talk.. and i feel like it I am open to discussion, but I am by no means trying to force either side to change their mind. Expressing yourself is great.. if that is what this is then great, I draw the line when it comes to pushing others from either side of the line to change their minds.

July 4, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • Jake

Excuse me? Atheism is absolutely NOT a religion.

July 4, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • Luigi

Jake, why not? What is the "empty set?" The "empty string?" The "empty list?"

July 4, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • Luigi

Jake, or perhaps we are on the wrong page. In your words, what is religion?

July 4, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • pdfsmail

Religion is defined as: A Cultural or belief system often relating to human spirituality (or lack there of)... most dictionaries will give you that same or similar

July 4, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
    • Luigi

pdfsmail, wouldn't it be possible for people who say they are atheists to engage in activities that meet that definition of religion?

I will admit that I'm approach this entire debate from the view of a mathematician.

July 4, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • pdfsmail

@Luigi I see that atheists do in fact do many things that are defined as religion... Not just the belief that there is no deity but they are an organized group, with their own views on spirituality. Honestly my belief? My belief is what I call Inconclusive... Neither side has enough to complete prove to me they are correct.. There could be a Diety, I will accept that, but I would not be surprised if there is NOT one... Its all to different battles neither side having near enough evidence that they are beyond a doubt correct...

you can use math to see that the universe once came from a point.. others argue that point came from a deity.. and so on.. it just annoys me to no end how this just continues like a broken record...

July 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm |

pdfsmail, point taken

July 4, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • Zeke2112

Always funny to see people label atheism a religion. Look, atheism is the natural human state. You are born an atheist. You have no concept of a supernatural deity. If you manage to dodge the Christians and the Jesuits and everyone else pushing archaic beliefs on you, you would remain an atheist your entire life. How can not believing in something equate to believing in something?

Luigi, do you believe in Santa? The tooth fairy? No? Then you are an antisantaist and an antifairyist. Do you believe the sky is purple? No? Then you are an antilavenderist.

Atheism isn't a religion or a belief system. It's a word to describe people who do not believe any form of God exists or is possible. What is so difficult to understand about that?

July 4, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • Frogist

@pdfsmail: The interviewer, Holmes asked Mr Wingrove that very question about whether he is looking to convert people. His answer was no.

July 5, 2011 at 9:22 am |
  8. Huhp

I like how the author turned "god-less in america" into "godless america". wow

July 4, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
  9. Rainer Braendlein

Some atheists say: "why should disbelief be dangerous?"

Imagine two hermetic rooms. One is filled with air, the other one is totally empty (vacuum). The walls are made out of glass and you see no differnce between the rooms. The difference is invisible. It is clear, in one of the rooms you could never survive, because you could not draw breath.

Atheism is like a room without air: No visible danger, but if you enter, you will die within minutes.

The spiritual air, we need, is the faith.

July 4, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • debbie338

From my point of view, it's the atheist room that provides the oxygen. Religion sucks the air out of everything.

July 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • Daniel

I'm going to create man and woman with original sin. Then, I'm going to impregnate a woman with myself as her child, so that I can be born. Once alive, I will kill myself as a sacrifice to myself, to save you from the sin I originally condemned you to. TA TAH!

July 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • Ty

That is ridiculous...

July 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • tom

where do you get stupid SHEET like this?

July 4, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • Jeff

wait what? that makes no sense.

July 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
    • ldsmom02

Well, Daniel, if you actually understood that story you tried to briefly relate, you wouldn't have wasted your time. Once again, Atheists with their superior intellect telling everyone, even God himself, how he must behave. That somehow, they are the only ones who have the right to determine how God or anyone should act at any given point in time. God's ways are not man's ways and if you keep trying to invent a God that you think is perfect, with your imperfect mind, then you are always going to be disappointed.

July 4, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
    • Ted M.

Is there some reason you like to use gas in chambers as an analogy, herr Brandlein?

July 4, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • Ty

@ ldsmom02

Daniel’s point wasn’t to create a god, it was to show how silly the basic story of Christianity is.

July 4, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • jdonaldson

I see Athiesm as a comfortable room with soft chairs and books on the wall, where people can relax and read and discuss while classical music plays.

Christianity is a hoarders shed with the skeletons of dead cats under heaps of trash. The owner was abused as a child and hate everyone. People laugh at him.

July 4, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • zamedo66

Christianity is no better than athiesm. The fabrication that jesus died for all your sins means that you are absolved of all wrong doing for your entire life. Why don't you unleash a massacre and commit adultery and fornicate? It's all good, because as long as believe in jesus- you are not accountable for any of your actions!
      Much the same with Athiesem....your not accountable to anybody for any of your actions.

July 4, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Rainer Braendlein

You said: "Jesus died for our sins. He loves you, and wants to set you free. May God give you the faith. Ask him!"

There is no proof that an actual Jesus ever existed. Evolution dispensed with the need of a redeemer. The Christian god is very unlikely to exist...Well, that about cover it.

Cheers!

July 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • David Johnson

@ldsmom02

You said: "Well, Daniel, if you actually understood that story you tried to briefly relate, you wouldn't have wasted your time."

Actually, I thought Daniel did a pretty good job of summarizing the Christian belief. Why don't you tell us where he went wrong?

Cheers!

July 4, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • steven harnack

In the act of entering you would let air in you would be fine. Haven't you ever heard that nature abhors a vacuum?

July 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  10. GogurtNinja

Can someone please explain what qualifies "God" as a "him" ?

July 4, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • Jesus

His large hanging appendage. Billy Graham told us that he has seen it.

July 4, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
    • James

Actually this is why I love laughing at the bible. In the Torah God is refered to as a woman much more than a man. This is because in Judaism the definition of a man and a woman is this. A man gathers raw materials. A woman takes those raw materials and transforms them into a greater being. So whenever you are praying to God you are praying to a woman.

Got to love the horribly translated bible.

July 4, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • Jesus

James, maybe Gawd is a cross dresser.

July 4, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
  11. Chris

I was in Eastern Europe during the Communist period and it has always amazed me the time, money and effort spent by atheists to promote a non-belief in a God who they think does not exist. If He really does not exist, why waste so much.

July 4, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
    • Jesus

Because religion as practiced by fundamentalists is a danger to a peaceful and progressive society. Many atheists are switching from atheism to ANTI-THEISM (whereby atheists go the extra step to call out and vocally oppose religious organizations)

July 4, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
  12. pn

Actually, GOD LESS AMERICA is pretty good.

July 4, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • Jesus

I an old enough to recall standing up and reciting the "pledge of allegiance" without the "under God" insertion (pre-1950s). People forget that "under God" was inserted as part of the McCarthy era anti-Godless communism initiative.

July 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
  13. Kihjo

I'm an athiest because I can't decide. All 32,000 versions of religion are just so darn attractive!

July 4, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • Jesus

Most believers are also atheists when it comes to every religion, other than their own.

July 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • Jeff

that's agnostic

July 4, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
  14. dodger44

Ted M. it's guys like you that are intolerant

July 4, 2011 at 11:59 am |
    • Ted M.

-dodger44-
      Would you like to elaborate on that or are you going to leave us all wondering what sort of troll you are doing today?

July 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
  15. ldsmom02

July 4, 2011 at 11:56 am |
    • Albert

Let me get this straight... The Westboro Baptist Church is not offensive?

July 4, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • dodger44

As long as both viewpoints are allowed to get their message out without fear of anything or anyone, that's OK; there are religious zealots who would shoot at planes with these banners; don't know of any atheists doing the same for planes flying religious banners.

July 4, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • Brian Westley

You have the same right to be offensive - go ahead and hire airplanes for your message.

"...Atheists think they have the right to actively fight against those who profess to have a religious belief, even so far as to try to force an Atheistic society on everyone by denying them the right to pray in public or believe in God and by trying to make Atheism the official religion of America."

But here you're just lying. Stop lying about atheists, ldsmom02.

July 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • Ashlyn

I am an atheist and I do not find God offensive. What I find offensive are the actions of Christian fundamentalist politicians, who would take away my freedom to not pay homage to their God.

July 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
    • Luigi

Albert, let me get this straight. You are actually taking the position that the Westboro Baptist Church is actually following Jesus?

I'm taking the position that they are false prophets. They are against Jesus.

July 4, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
    • dm559

How are the banners any more offensive than those who do not believe in God being bombarded constantly with religious propaganda? On our currency we have "In God We Trust" nearly every TV channel and most AM channels have religious programming our Pledge of Allegiance has "One Nation Under God" and now we have recruitment from the Mormons with the "And I'm a Mormon" commercials.

July 4, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • Albert

Luigi.... Don't try to read between the lines. I'm agnostic. I find the Westboro Baptist Church offensive by their actions. Nothing else. Jesus has nothing to do with my opinion of that Church.

July 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • Luigi

Fair enough Albert. I was just posing a question, as you did, to see what would happen. I too find the WBC to be quite offensive. I don't know if it's that they can't read or what.

July 4, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Idsmom02

You said: "ldsmom02
      Their slogans are offensive. Just as offensive as they think God is. So, why do they have the right to be offensive, but others do not. There is a concerted effort right now by atheists to get their message out. I think we would be well advised to find out why."

Maybe this would have something to do with it:

Christian Right Agenda – Christian Theocracy

The Texas history books are rewriting history to give the conservative slant. The objective of this effort, is to create a Christian Nation, a theocracy with Jesus as Head of State.

A huge campaign is underway, to convince the American people, the founding fathers never intended a separation of church and state. Thomas Jefferson's role as a founding father is played down. In some cases Jefferson is smudged.

Expect an attack on the 1st and 14th Amendments. The founding fathers will weep.

Most of the Tea Party are for a Christian Theocracy. The Tea Party is in bed with the Christian Right. A vote for any Tea Party candidate, is a vote for Christian Right domination.

The Republicans are the puppets of the Christian Right and the Rich.

You will see an amendment defining marriage as between a man and woman. The repeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell", will be in grave jeopardy. Gay rights will dwindle and die.

Roe Vs. Wade will be reversed. Women will once again be forced to seek back alley remedies. Men will be forced to buy condoms on the black market.

Stem cell research will stagnate. The hopes of damaged and sick people will be dashed.

All scientific research will be scrutinized by the Christian Right. "If a theory is in agreement with Scripture ", will be the new metric. Get use to hearing "God Did It".

P_ornography will be illegal. The Religious Right will decide what is p_ornographic , as well as what is art. You will watch television programs approved by the Evangelicals. Lots of reruns of "Growing Pains", starring that Evangelical darling Kirk Cameron. Thank you Jesus!

Creationism will be taught in public school, most likely alongside evolution rather than instead of, but no guarantees.
      Vouchers will enable parents to send their child to religious schools. Funds to public schools will dwindle. Quality education will be out of reach for the masses. The finite amount of money, will be spread too thin. But what does it matter? It is the will of God.

Little Johnny will believe in talking snakes and Zombie Messiahs. The rest of the world is spending their time learning real science and math. Good luck Johnny. Can you say: "Would you like fries with that?"

State-sanctioned Prayer will be in our schools. The Christian Right think they know better than the Founding Fathers and want to tamper with the Bill of Rights. They want to amend the U.S. Const_itution, so that the Government would legally sponsor and take over the activity of prayer. Only the one true god, the Christian god, will be given homage. The non-Christians will be allowed to put their heads down on their desks, during the morning worship. They can contemplate their damnation, for not accepting Jesus.

$ex education will consist of abstinence only. Studies have shown it is a worthless concept. But, it will please Jesus.

The war against unions, commenced during the Bush administration, will continue.

Jesus will be the Head of State! He will be represented by an empty chair at the head of the leadership table. Only the Evangelicals will be able to hear His voice. They will tell the rest of us His will. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

We will be a slave to a make believe god. If it wasn't so sad, it would be funny.

Cheers!

July 4, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
  16. LeShawn

Why is it the ones who don't believe in God and don't want the rest of us who do to not force our beliefs on them are always the ones trying to take away our beliefs?

July 4, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • wgage

Wow, I didn't know I was trying to take away your belief.

July 4, 2011 at 11:56 am |
    • Hortense and Her Enormous Cat

They aren't - no atheist gives a crap what you do in the privacy of your own home. They care what you try to make them do in public.

July 4, 2011 at 11:56 am |
    • pn

As long as you are not advocating creationism being taught in school (as a bunch of GOP presidential candidates are) or question the separation of the state and church (eh....what amendment was that) I don't care about your beliefs. However, what is wrong with atheists advocating their point of view?

July 4, 2011 at 11:59 am |
    • Bryan Law

So Christians should be restricted to the privacy of their own home, but Athiests can fly their beliefs on flags over public beaches. You hypocrite.

July 4, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • ldsmom02

Hortense – Nobody tries to make Atheists DO anything in public. What? Recite the Pledge of Allegiance? Well don't say it. You have that right. But Atheists think they have the right to actively fight against those who profess to have a religious belief, even so far as to try to force an Atheistic society on everyone by denying them the right to pray in public or believe in God and by trying to make Atheism the official religion of America.

July 4, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • Luigi

LeShawn, wgage makes a good point. How do you know what he or she is trying to do? You only know how it feels to you. You can solve the language problem with by replacing "trying" with "apparently trying." Now instead of claiming to be able to read minds (which might just qualify as a sin) you are claiming to be an observer.

Hortense, how do you know that "no atheist gives a..." Did you interview each and every atheist on the planet? It's not like there's an atheist club where every last atheist is a member.

July 4, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • tallulah13

People knock on my door, wanting to tell me about their religion. Street preachers yell at me as I walk from place to place in the city where I work. Religious tracts wait for me when I get home, shoved into my door frame. There are signs along the streets I travel, some condemning me, some saying that I must be sad and lonely because I don't believe a certain way.

I am bombarded with religious messages every day, and you're upset about a couple of planes flying over a beach? Sheesh. Get over it. Some atheists have a message they want to get out, and they have just as much right to do so as any other group or individual.

Frankly, I don't care what you believe, as long as you don't try to legislate your beliefs. When that happens, you bet I care and will try to stop you.

July 4, 2011 at 1:03 pm |

tallulah13, well said.

July 4, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
  17. Rainer Braendlein

May God blow them into the ocean. Pity, he is too merciful for such actions.

July 4, 2011 at 11:51 am |
    • The Bobinator

Yep, like the mercy he showed the egyptians in exodus. God was so merciful that he hardened the pharoah's heart just as he was going to let the jews go. The reason? To inflict more plagues!

July 4, 2011 at 11:54 am |
    • Hortense and Her Enormous Cat

I bet a million-billion dollars that "God" won't do anything. Most likely because "He" doesn't exist any more than unicorns do.

July 4, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • ldsmom02

Bobinator, God destroys whomever he will because he created them. He has the right to make that decision and because Egypt after being asked several times, would not let the Hebrews go, they suffered the consequences. You expect God to be a certain way just because you think he should be that way, but God's ways are not man's ways and you run the risk of incurring the consequences when you actively fight against God.

July 4, 2011 at 11:58 am |
    • David Johnson

@ldsmom02

You said: "God destroys whomever he will because he created them. He has the right to make that decision and because Egypt after being asked several times, would not let the Hebrews go, they suffered the consequences."

No, your desert war god cause

Ex 7 3-5

God speaking:
      3And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt.

4But Pharaoh shall not hearken unto you, that I may lay my hand upon Egypt, and bring forth mine armies, and my people the children of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great judgments.

5And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD, when I stretch forth mine hand upon Egypt, and bring out the children of Israel from among them.

Your god is vile. Pharaoh had no free will. It was already decided what the outcome would be.

Cheers!

God hardened Phar

July 4, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
    • tallulah13

Look at you, condemning people you don't agree with to accident or death. If you want to see why some people find christianity to be offensive, look in the mirror.

July 4, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • Ripper

WAIT!! Are you saying Unicorns DON'T exist!!?? Darn you anti-Unicorn radicals. Why can't you just leave us believers alone!!!

July 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
    • Damon

Unicorns are in the Bible, along with Satyrs and Leviathans... THEY MUST BE REAL!

July 4, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  18. GSA

Haha, can't fly because he can't wear a bullet-proof vest. Why is he so worried, Christians in America are good ppl and would never shoot at someone just because that person disagrees with their point of view right? Wrong.

July 4, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • Army gal

Just because the pilot had an irrational fear doesn't make it true.

July 4, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • Frogist

@ArmyGal: I'm not so sure it is an irrational fear. Christianity has been associated with violence and hatred in this country. The KKK, the WBC, Christian militias... Look at the troubles the muslim people have had to face just to put up a mosque in Tennessee. I wouldn't put it past them.

July 5, 2011 at 9:44 am |
  19. Aerin

About time! Good for the atheists. The presumption that everyone in this country is xtian is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

July 4, 2011 at 11:49 am |
    • ldsmom02

The presumption that all Christians are idiots is also wrong, wrong, wrong.

July 4, 2011 at 11:59 am |
    • Frogist

@idsmom: I don't think Aerin said anything of the sort. However, your irrational outbursts make a case for the idiocy of vocal militant Christians like you.

July 5, 2011 at 9:46 am |
  20. Ted M.

If they hadn't picked such ridiculous slogans, they wouldn't have such a problem.
    I wish I could kick whoever thought up those slogans in the ass. They are bad slogans.

July 4, 2011 at 11:41 am |
    • triscele

Why are they ridiculous? You sound like the type of person they are trying to educate.

July 4, 2011 at 11:49 am |
    • Agnostic

And by "educate" triscele means indoctrinate to the atheists amoral beliefs. Te cult of atheism is as much a religion as christianity.

July 4, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
    • Agnostic

And by "educate" triscele means indoctrinate to the atheists' amoral beliefs. The cult of atheism is as much a religion as christianity.

July 4, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
    • wgage

Agnostic, what part of not believing is a belief?

July 4, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • ldsmom02

Exactly what education are they providing tricele? They should be grateful they live in a country where they won't be killed for not believing in God. And where they can fly their offensive slogans any time they want. No one needs to be educated about Atheists. And Atheists can be patriotic. But, if patriotism means calling Christians idiots or trying to force their Atheist religion on everyone, then they certainly aren't patriotic in those actions.

July 4, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • Ted M.

-triscele-
      The two slogans are "God-LESS America" and "Atheism is Patriotic".
      Atheism is just a lack of a belief in a god. It is not patriotic by default.
      As for "God-LESS America", it could be interpreted to say "God without America", which is a ridiculous thing to say if one is an atheist.
      It is more likely to be taken as saying "We are all Satanic Anarchists and want to destroy your churches."
      Since that isn't true either, it is untrue in a pretty ridiculous and misleading manner to say we are hating churches or something.
      There are more ways these slogans can be taken, but the problem is that they are very unlikely to be taken as they were meant by the organization that whipped them up. That's not communicating clearly, that's just encouraging misunderstanding on the part of the religious people. They don't need to misunderstand any more stuff than they already do.
      What we need is clear communication, not slogans made while drunk or whatever.
      Too little thought went into these slogans. I would have thought it was obvious.

July 4, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
    • ldsmom02

Wgage, all atheists believe a certain thing – that God does not exist. There are organizations and yes, churches all over this land that engage in publicly denying God exists. Some of these churches even have their own "minister". They are engaged in writing articles in newspapers showing their superiority in intellect and using logic to prove God does not exist, they meet together often and discuss how God does not exist and by doing so, they have created their own religion. And the most important reason you are a religion is because you DO worship something. It is not God, it is your own selves and your superior intellect and reason. That is your God.

July 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • Frogist

@idsmom: What you have stated is ridiculous. Just because you call something a religion doesn't make it so. By your definition every group that meets and has someone lead the meeting and writes about what they think is in fact a religion. That would make the US gov't, the company of Walmart, your PTA and every boyscout troop a religion. I know it is standard to try to discredit the personal position of atheists as "just like us religious people so they're all hypocrites". But just because you feel threatened or confused or cannot find a bit of tolerance in your heart doesn't mean you are allowed to spread lies.

July 5, 2011 at 9:59 am |