home
RSS
July 4th, 2011

Atheists explain flying ad campaign

On the Fourth of July across the U.S., American Atheists are taking to skies with a flying banner ad campaign.

They will be flying over busy holiday hot spots like beaches and parks with banners that read: "Atheism is Patriotic" and "God-LESS America."

Some pilots balked and would not fly the banner ads.

Justin Jaye of Fly Signs Aerial Advertising, told the Belief Blog last week,  "I've been in this business for 20 years and I've never run into so much resistance on people flying," Jaye said. "I've had pilots who are actual atheists who said, 'Justin, I am an atheist and I won't fly it because I can't wear a bulletproof vest.'"

In the video above, Rick Wingrove from the Virginia chapter of American Atheists explains to CNN's T.J. Holmes more about the campaign and why they picked the Fourth of July.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Content Partner • Faith • TV-CNN Newsroom • United States

soundoff (1,760 Responses)
  1. LisaS

I was raised Catholic, and after an extended period of self-reflection resigned myself to the fact I am an atheist. I used to take great comfort in the belief in an afterlife. My mother passed away 12 years ago and I would love more than anything to believe I will be reunited with her when I die. I'd love to believe that when I die, my consciousness won't just end. Atheism is liberating, but it's kind of a downer too. But I can't and won't force myself to believe or pretend to believe in something for the false comfort it provides.

Are some atheists smug? Sure. But so are a hell of a lot of christians, and jews, and muslims. Anyone who has a firm belief in their own rightness and is willing to demean those who do not agree is, by definition, smug. That's human nature.

July 4, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • It's Me

Exactly, LisaS.. well said.

July 4, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • settino

Very true, Lisa. an atheist cannot claim to be an atheist without being judged, but Mormons, Catholics, Muslims, etc can spew their c##p for everyone to hear.

July 4, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  2. RealityChecker

Atheists united! All 3% of the American people! Give atheists another century and they might make it up to 4% of the population!

July 4, 2011 at 4:42 pm |

July 4, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • John Richardson

There's a lot more than that now and will be a whole lot more later.

July 4, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • apostate

Non-religion is the fastest growing group in the US. Religion is on decline in every state. At the current rate of decline Christians will be a minority by 2040.

July 4, 2011 at 4:47 pm |

apostate, show stats.

July 4, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • Budda belly

If the earth isn't destroyed in a hundred years by religion the number will probably be closer to 50%

July 4, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • settino

Again, most of Europe has evolved and are now more than 50% non believers in the super natural. You also have no proof God exists. Your proof is 'faith" and faith alone. Good for you. In 50 years, America will join the rest of the civilized world and stop believing in this colossal waste of time called religion. In the mean time, get on your knees. Keep praying. Put your hands together, and go confess your sins to a total stranger, your preacher or pastor or whatever you call them. LOL!!!

July 4, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • rachel

You've clearly got your figures wrong. We're gaining on you FAST.

July 4, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • apostate

@trey
      You aren't sure faeries, leprechauns, and unicorns don't exist somewhere in the universe either. Are you going actively believing in these beings?

As for that stats they are posted everywhere like adherentsdotorg. Educate yourself please.

July 4, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • LisaS

1 in 4 persons age 18-29 self-identify as non-religious. Overall, that percentage is 16.1% As those older people die, nonreligious folks will make up a greater proportion of the population.

July 4, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Trey

You said: "Eh, atheists are ignorant. They can't help it though. They have no proof that God doesn't exist, but call others ignorant for having faith. I don't know if he's real or not, but I'm not going to assume he's not real just because I can't see him.

You can't see Santa either( Note: The Wal-mart Santa isn't real) or the Easter Bunny or fairies or leprechauns. You don't believe in them right? So why god? There is no more evidence for His existence than Santa.

In the real world, any object that provides no evidence for its existence is classified as imaginary.

So, help me with my ignorance. Give me your evidence that there is a god.

Cheers!

Cheers!

July 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • LisaS

Also - Christianity has shown losses in people identifying as such, but the losses would have been even greater if not for immigrants coming in bringing their religious beliefs with them (i.e. Mexican/Latin American catholics). Illegal immigrants, if nothing else, are helping maintain the religious majority.

July 4, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • kormallain

How does one prove something does not exist?

July 4, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • Trey

apostate, again with the strawman argument. You need an education ya dirty idiot.

July 4, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • apostate

@Trey
      You obviously don't have any clue what a strawman is. You stated clearly that if we can't disprove god we don't have an argument. This means that you can't argue against any mythological creatures until they are disproven, which is stupid. It is you that needs the education.

July 4, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
    • Shaun

@Trey

Do you have evidence that the flying spaghetti monster does NOT exist? If not, I take it you're forced to accept that he is just as credible as your god; being as how we can't prove either one non-existent.

July 4, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • AirborneMedic/FirefighterParamedic

Recheck your info RealityChecker.....The most recent ARIS report, released March 9, 2009, found in 2008, 34.2 million Americans (15.0%) claim no religion. Of which, 1.6% explicitly describe themselves as atheist (0.7%) or agnostic (0.9%), nearly double the previous 2001 ARIS survey figure of 0.9%.

July 4, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  3. Faithful

I am not faithful due to my place of birth. God has believers all over the world. Jesus saves & Jesus & God win every time. Thank you for bringing this up, so I can shout the good news. God is good! Jesus Saves! What a friend I have in Jesus! Everything in this world was made by the Lord our God & I see him in it's beauty on a daily basis. My children are peacemakers & heroes who help others. I have been blessed & seen many miracles. Just gotta' spread the word...that God is here for each and every one of us. He brings tremendous joy to my life! 🙂

July 4, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
    • Budda belly

Put down the Kool Aid

July 4, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Faithful

Only 32% of the world is Christian. So, in actuality, Jesus and god loses 68% of the time.

Cheers!

July 4, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • rachel

That's a whole lotta energy for something you can't see.

July 4, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Faithful

You said: "I have been blessed & seen many miracles."

What miracles? You pray you would find your car keys, and did? Did you move a mountain? Bring anyone back from the dead? What miracles?

Curious in Arizona

July 4, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • Faithful

Yes, I have been blessed with a happy life & many miracles. I give God, Jesus & the Holy Spirit all the credit. I work in a job that is puts me close to people & helping them every day. Sometimes, I don't have the resources I need & they just appear. All I have to do is ask (pray) & I have always been able to help my fellow man. To have been able to witness & love my fellow man. Such a treat.
      Again, I say that Wingrove is Satan & he has a huge agenda. Boo to Satan. Be gone. No one likes you Dude!

July 4, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  4. Budda belly

This is no better than religious zealots pushing their beliefs on everyone. Why throw the truth in their face. Let people believe whatever they want. Even if they are antiquated idea's written by men who at that point believed in fire breathing dragons and a flat earth.

July 4, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • rachel

Why care? Because these nutjobs school our kids and help make our laws. C'mon Buddha. Take a stand. Peacefully, but take a stand.

July 4, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  5. Alex

Qrius, why do you have to prove your supremacy by calling us stupid? Thing is that I know how stupid I am, but you seem to be i=unaware of your own level of intelligence, or lack of it.
    All you have to do is prove my stupidity. Calling me green does nor make me green, Calling me stupid does not make me stupid. either. So, please, take a look at your mirror, but I suggest that first you take a pill or two, just in case...

July 4, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • Trey

Alex, what do you expect? He has nothing to back up his arguments, so he has to resort to insults.

July 4, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Qrius

i can do this the same way you tell me to "look in a mirror" dung-brain. Oh, wait, it's Independence Day so I'd better keep my head down with all the other slaves, right? You are so fu-cking stupid.

July 4, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  6. Daniel

They pinpoint the biggest problem I have with religion, you're asking for trouble if you don't agree fully with someone else's religion. And it does have to be fully. Christianity is split into so many different sects and it's the same garbage if a Catholic says something bad about a Southern Baptist. At least we can be happy it's not as bad as the 2 Islam sects fighting with each other.

July 4, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  7. Bill

The people getting upset about this are silly. Why do they care unless they aren't secure in their own beliefs? The rules are simple. You are free to believe whatever you want about your imaginary friends, and we're free to believe whatever we want about that concept. Period.

July 4, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • The realist believer

Are imaginary friends real? Think about this... If energy can neither be created nor destroyed, where does the energy that is life go when we die? Is it recycled or does it simply remain in some other form? Is is possible that our childhood imaginary friends could be ourselves from a previous life or random strangers who have died? If it's possible, and I don't think it can be ruled out, then we have to accept that the "imaginary friends" whom you refering to could be real afterall.

July 4, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • It's Me

@realist believer
      wow! seek help from a mental health profressional soon.

July 4, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  8. adam

God Bless America!!!

July 4, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Qrius

Oh, we're "blessed" with all sorts of idiots like you. Yessir.

July 4, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • Jon

There seems to be a superfluous B in your post.

July 4, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • settino

God Bless America...and nobody else!!!!!!!!!

July 4, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  9. Joey

The same sad story... When will be the day that we can rejoice in the grace of humanity as a whole. When will the world come together to realize that the universe is so much more complex then simple conditioned human perceptions... Why do we submit ourselves to simple polarized thinking where everything is one way or the other...Truth has never been on either side of the yin and yang only the yin and yang as a whole can offer truth. Science and religion are no different... Its funny trying to make sense of a universe that doesn't make any logical sense. Have fun arguing over the all the things that don't matter while the planet crumbles around us in the wake. Its truly sad when we are so spoiled that we can't even see heaven right in front of us, all around. And its ignorant to think that there is nothing but randomness in a universe that is more complex then you can imagine. Love to all... Love is the only truth...

July 4, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Qrius

When you're done snorting "love dust", why don't you join the rest of us in celebrating Independence Day?

July 4, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Joey

Your gonna have to troll better then that man... Put some effort into it... So much anger

July 4, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • kormallain

Can i have some "love dust"?

July 4, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • Joey

I already gave you some in the form of positive thought... People can hate all they want, you don't even have to believe in god to believe in love people. Life is so much easier when you realize you don't have to be a victim of your past conditioning. Like this troll here. He hates without even knowing anything about anyone. Its what a child does when he feels threatened.

July 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • rachel

I have a sudden urge for a bowl of granola and a organic soy latte.

July 4, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • It's Me

You're alright by me Joey! I don't agree with you but you're alright. Happy 4th!

July 4, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
    • Qrius

You're an easy troll, Joey. Don't ever change. We love you just the way you are, stupid and easy to control.
      Now sit up and roll over whenever your religion comes into play! There you go! Good boy!

July 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  10. Alex

Welcome to the new Church of Atheists and Latter Day Hubristic Uppercrust Intelligengia. Their Creed: We are the saviours of the planet, all others are second-rate citizens who believe in God.
    Therefore we shall remove and destroy from the surface of this planet all things that are a result of religion: Universities, Libraries, hospitals, works of art, even if they are the most treasured of all art masterpeices, buildings even if the they happen to be the most beautiful on the planet. We shall remove all names that remind us of religiou speople such as Mother Theresa, Pastor Martin Niemöller,

First they came for the believers, but........................................

July 4, 2011 at 4:29 pm |

LOL, you are so stupid.

July 4, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • a

Ohhh... waaaahhhhh. cry me a river.... you remind me of the white supremacists who whine about rights for white people.

July 4, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • John Richardson

Wow, it sure didn't take long for the outward smug self-assurance of at least some Christians to crumble like dust. Fly a few banners and they think someone is coming to carry them off. Paranoia in action.

July 4, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • Alex

Qrius, you have just proved my point so perfectly, stupid.

July 4, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Qrius

Thanks for playing, Alex!
      Now give me "stupid people named Alex" for 300, Alex!

July 4, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • Jon

Wow! Are you really that out of touch with reality? So Christians are the oppressed ones in this fantasy world you live in? There are so many ways that atheists and agnostics are discriminated against by so-called Christians that I could fill a book with examples. Good luck becoming President of the U.S. if one is an admitted atheist, for example. You've got a lot of nerve talking about hubris when it is believers that claim to know something they couldn't possibly know – who created our universe.

July 4, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
    • kormallain

They're comming to take you away,Ha ha, they're comming to take you away....

July 4, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

You might want to scope out the American Library Association's annual compendium of books that are most requested to be banned from America's public libraries. I think you'll find very few (like, zero) where the motive behind banning them was that an atheist found them offensive. OTOH, there are a ton of books that Xians want to deprive people of because they don't toe the Xian line with sufficient subservience and groveling.

July 4, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
    • rachel

Uh, you might want to check more into that Alex. I think your half of the group is responsible for holding back art, knowledge, thought and all kinds of advancements. Alot of the beauty that was created has been destroyed by religious groups and religious wars.

July 4, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • David Johnson

@RichardSRussell

I request the Christian bible be banned. It is silly.

July 4, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • To all atheists that they maybe driven back to their senses

"Godless America"?

How presumptous. Let me remind you that you don't represent America even a quart of it. Better you should put yourselves in the proper place than becoming worthy of all the insults.

Just a friendly advice, why not change it to God Bless Atheists, sorry I mean Godless Atheists? I think you can fly the ad 24/7 or 24/365 (if you wish) to until all of you get broke. Definitely, everybody could careless about it.

July 4, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • Qrius

I always laugh when someone posts that they "don't really care" about it. LOL

July 4, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  11. a

There is no proof that there isn't an invisible unicorn in the room with me.... but to believe that there is one because I can't disprove it would be idiotic.

July 4, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Trey

Enough with your straw man argument.

July 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • Qrius

Trey, you wouldn't recognize a straw man if you were the Scarecrow himself.

July 4, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • Trey

Qrius, you are very ignorant. You are a coward too with your online insults. I bet you don't even have the nuts to serve in the military, coward.

July 4, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • steve

Can anyone prove to me there ISN'T a giant flying spaghetti monster who cares deeply about the fate of mankind?

July 4, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • Trey

Steve, of course you have to use South Park's example. You and your heathen friends always use the South Park example. Not smart enough to come up with something different? You don't need to be trying to get proof from me, since I never said how sure I am that God is real. Just said I am going to keep faith. However, you're kind seem pretty convinced that he is not real without any evidence. Still waiting for your evidence.

July 4, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
    • Ronnie Harper

Well said – post-atheists stand up and be recognized, we can explain our existence without invoking the god-concept.

July 4, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

I figure anyone who equates intelligence with possession of a pair of testicles has pretty well spoken the final word on credibility.

July 4, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • Trey

Richard, another moron. Never said anything about intelligence and testicles. I called him a coward.

July 4, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Trey

Actually, since it is the believers that are positing a god, it would be their burden to supply evidence that god does indeed exist.

Extraordinary claims, requires extraordinary evidence – Carl Sagan

No one can prove a negative. I can't prove that god does not exist. I also can't prove Santa Claus does not exist. But in life, we decide what is real and not real, based on what we feel is probable.

I think we can rule out god, in the same way we rule out any other mythological creature. I can't prove vampires or werewolves or fairies don't exist. But, I bet you would agree, that they are not real. They just don't fit in with the reality we see all around us.

So, we can look for attributes of god, that should provide evidence that He exists.

If positive evidence is found, we should conclude that god probably exists.

If positive evidence is not found, then we should conclude that the Christian God, beyond a reasonable doubt, does not exist. Just like Santa. Just like fairies. Just like vampires.

One of the most compelling reasons for rejecting god, is the fact that there are so many versions of god(s). Some, not even human (The elephant-faced god – Ganesha etc.). Each religion, each denomination of each religion, defines god's wants differently. All of these religions cannot be right. But they can all be wrong.
      Perhaps man has not yet found the one true god, or perhaps He does not exist.

Christians claim their god is Omnipotent ( all powerful), Omniscient (all knowing) and Omnibenevolent (all good).

1.If god is Omnibenevolent, He would WANT every human to believe in Him.
      The bible says He does:
      2 Peter 3:9
      9The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. King James Version (KJV)
      1 Timothy 2:4
      4Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. King James Version (KJV)

2. If god is Omniscient, then He would KNOW exactly how to convince anyone and everyone that He exists.

3. If god is Omnipotent, then He would be ABLE to convince anybody and everybody that He exists.

Yet, ~ 68% of the world's population are not Christians.

Therefore, the Christian god is very unlikely to exist.

In the same vein as the above, notice how many denominations of Christianity there are (~ 34,000). Each denomination can show you scripture, that "proves" they understand the wants of Jesus/god.

All of the denominations could not be correctly interpreting the bible. Many are contradictory.
      Many of these denominations believe only their members will be saved.

If the Christian god exists, and He is all knowing and all powerful and all good, why didn't He provide a bible that could not be misinterpreted? That everyone's comprehension of His wants would be the same?

Christians believe god's purpose in creating the Bible is to guide human beings towards a knowledge of God, and to help them lead moral lives, Christians must be certain of the meaning of the Bible.

ambiguity – a word or expression that can be understood in two or more possible ways : an ambiguous word or expression.

"There are in excess of 1,000 Christian faith groups in North America. They teach diverse beliefs about the nature of Jesus, God, the second coming, Heaven, Hell, the rapture, criteria for salvation, speaking in tongues, the atonement, what happens to persons after death, and dozens of other topics.

On social controversies, faith groups teach a variety of conflicting beliefs about abortion access, equal rights for ho_mo$exuals and bi$exuals, who should be eligible for marriage, the death penalty, physician assisted suicide, human $exuality topics, origins of the universe, and dozens of other topics.

The groups all base their theological teachings on the Bible. Generally speaking, the theologians in each of these faith groups are sincere, intelligent, devout, thoughtful and careful in their interpretation of the Bible. But, they come to mutually exclusive conclusions about what it teaches. Further, most are absolutely certain that their particular interpretations are correct, and that the many hundreds of faith groups which teach opposing beliefs are in error." Source: Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance

If the bible is ambiguous, then it cannot be said to be inerrant.

The Christian god is very unlikely to exist.

Another reason to reject the idea of a god, is because there appears to be no need for one. Each hour of each day, science fills another gap in man's knowledge, that god once filled. So far, science has found no need for a god.
      Belief without a reason or evidence, is called "delusion".

Christians often quote:
      John 3:16 – For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

If the Christian god so loves the world, why does he allow / cause so much suffering? Disease, famine, floods, earthquakes etc. ad infinitum, ad nauseum. ?

I can explain the existence of these horrors as being due to natural causes and evolution, but my explanation fails when I include an all loving Creator in the equation. I keep getting a "Can't divide by zero" error.

Christians say their god is omnibenevolent (all good); omnipotent (all powerful); omniscient ( all knowing)

1. If the Christian god is all knowing, He would be AWARE of all the suffering on earth.

2. If the Christian god is all good, He would WANT to rid the world of suffering / evil.

3. If the Christian god is all powerful, He would be ABLE to rid the world of suffering / evil.

4. Yet, evil persists.

Therefore, The Christian god is very unlikely to exist.

The Christian god is said to be omniscient and omnipotent. But these attributes are not compatible.

If the Christian god is all knowing, if the future can be known, then even god would be bound by events in the future. Everything would be predetermined.

1. If the Christian god, knows what will happen in the future, and does something else...then, He is not all knowing.

2. If the Christian god knows the future and cannot change it, then He is not all powerful.

3. The attributes attributed to the Christian god conflict with one another.

The Christian god with these attributes cannot exist.

Evolution, with its evidence of transitional fossils, geological column, DNA evidence, vestigial organs etc., is very damning to the biblical Creation Story.

If god created all the organisms on the planet, then He must have created even the diseases that have caused and are causing so much death and misery for humans and animals. He would have had to fashion the tick and the flea. The mosquito and blood flukes. And worms that bore into a child's eye.

How could an all good god do such a thing? Why would He spend His time creating gruesome things to cause human suffering? Yet, these horrors exist. And if god didn't create them, who did?

Evolution explains the diversity of the planet's organisms, including the pathogens and the parasites that have caused so much human death and misery.

If the Creation Story is a fable, then Adam and Eve did not exist.
      If Adam and Eve did not exist, then there was no original sin.
      If there was no original sin, then it cannot be the reason god allows so much suffering in the world. We can dump the guilt trip.
      If there was no original sin, then there was no need for a redeemer.
      If there was no redeemer, then Christianity is a based on a false premise.

"If we cannot believe in the First Adam, why believe in the Last [Christ]?" 1 Corinthians15:45

If the Creation story is a myth, then there is no reason to believe any of the bible.

If we evolved, there is no soul –> no afterlife –> no need of a heaven or hell.

LOL, which is why the Evangelicals fight so hard against evolution.

Evolution is the Christian god's Achilles' heel.

The Christian god is no more likely to exist than unicorns, satyrs, fiery serpents, or talking snakes.

Cheers!

July 4, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • Qrius

Thanks for being so cheap and easy, tray. And hypocritical. Love ya!

July 4, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  12. settino

That God would win in a poll would only be true in the USA. Most advanced countries in Europe, Canada and certain Asian countries attach very little importance in religion. In fact, most of Europe (you know, where your forefathers came from) are now more than 50% non believers in the supper natural. They have evolved!

July 4, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Trey

Yeah, and look how screwed up the Euro-trash are.

July 4, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • settino

You mean there is no trash in America? Highest crime rate in the western civilized world!

July 4, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Qrius

USA = highest incarceration of any country in the world. Yeah, those "Euro-trash" are really baaad aren't they?

July 4, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Trey

Settino, that's because we have liberals who think any sort of punishment is "cruel and unusual".

July 4, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Budda belly

The "supper natural". What's that. organic dinner?

July 4, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • settino

Trey, get a hold of yourself. Liberals are people too, or does your religion exclude Liberals?

July 4, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • Trey

settino, I don't give a s**t about Liberals? What religion? Who said I was religious?

July 4, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • kormallain

Euro- trash? Trey, which thrash are you?

July 4, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • Will

I'm hungry. It's time for some supper natural.

July 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • Trey

kormallain, whatever trash you consider us Military personnel.

July 4, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • settino

oh so sorry, super natural. I guess you need to spell it right for americans to understand what I meant.

July 4, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • settino

Trey, God bless the military!

July 4, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • Qrius

Suck my ass, tray! I could care less what sorry=-ass unit has to put up with your whiny little ass! You don't deserve to serve.

July 4, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  13. DGH

stupid

July 4, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
  14. RichardSRussell

More research results: CNN's nannybot also gags on i d e n t i t y (and, I infer, also on things like q u a n t i t y and e n t i t y). I leave it as an exercise for the student to figure out why.

Sheesh, you'd think that CNN would have sophisticated enuf logic to be able to insert a few "but not" commands in their logic stirngs, wouldn't you?

July 4, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • John Richardson

Any unbroken sequence of t-i-t will do it!

July 4, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
  15. Scott

What nonsense. This just stirs up pointless trouble. Do they think any religion would gain converts by flying a banner? Do they think they'll change any minds? They would laugh at the silliness of any religion that tried this stunt. And they'd be right. What's next? Athiest televangelists? "Repent of your belief lest your mind be caged!" "Come from Jesus!" "Praise yourself!" Who advocates the "I are smart" belief system with carnival sideshow tactics?

July 4, 2011 at 4:25 pm |

u mad?

July 4, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Yahweh

There are a lot of closet atheists. I would assume the intention is to let them and other people know it's ok not to believe in an imaginary being. Religious people can be so "in your face" with their beliefs. Perhaps it might be o.k. for non-believers to do the same. The only reason religion persists is because we are brain washed, as children, to have faith.

July 4, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  16. Trey

Atheists are as bad as their so called enemy, the Christian. They are just as bad about shoving their agenda down America's throat.

July 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • Qrius

What agenda would that be?

July 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • Riddles

Atheists are far from as bad as their enemies. Atheists don't completely turn against friends and family when they find out they don't believe like they do. Atheists don't kill people specifically because they are believers or because someone told them to. Atheists don't treat believers like second class citizens.

July 4, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Trey

Atheists are just as bad as bible thumpers, if not worse. They are almost as bad as Scientologists and Muslims.

July 4, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • Trey

Riddles, then they need to mind their own damn business and not try to promote their low moral behavior.

July 4, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Qrius

You mean the low moral behavior like we see from Christians EVERY DAMN DAY?

July 4, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • Trey

Qrius, I don't give a s**t about the Christians. Unlike atheists, I don't care if people believe in God or not.

July 4, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • kormallain

Trey, Mom says if you don't take your medication, she won't let you go to the fireworks with us tonight.

July 4, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • Will

Uh, hey Riddles, Did you ever hear of Stalin or Mao?

July 4, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • apostate

What agenda would that be? A less ignorant America? I'm for it.

July 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • Trey

kormillion, considering I am in the military and have to work tomorrow I don't need your ignorance.

July 4, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • apostate

@Will
      Communism is not atheism. Did you ever hear of the conquistadors and crusaders?

July 4, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • Qrius

You aren't in the military tray, you are a lying little sack of pee-slime. No military would use you for anything but a bad example.

July 4, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  17. George

Just because most people believe in wizardry in the sky does not make it true. See the flat earthers back in the day or those that thought the sun revolved around the earth. That is the most lame argument for wizardry in the sky.

July 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • Trey

George, but they proved that the Earth was round and that the Earth revolved around the Sun. Can you prove that God doesn't exist? What about the people who have had near death experiences? They made claims that they remember going somewhere before they were revived.

July 4, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • John Richardson

The key word in 'near death experience' is 'near'.

July 4, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • Trey

John, good for you for knowing what near death experience is. Want a cookie and a pat on the back?

July 4, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Jeff

Really Trey? People have near death experiences and remember going towards heaven or "someplace" What exactly happened there? Did your great and powerful God say, "Ooops my bad. Back you go. I didn't realize you would be saved. Wait, I'm God, I know everything! Boy am I slipping." If anything this makes your God sound pretty stupid.

July 4, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Trey

Jeff, "My" God? You are a moron if you assume that I believe in a God. You have no friggin' idea what I believe.

July 4, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Trey

Hi -Trey...

You Said to @George: "What about the people who have had near death experiences? They made claims that they remember going somewhere before they were revived."

I have had a near-death experience (NDE). One of the problems I have is that when 'Christians' (not saying you're a christian) attempt to invoke NDE's as if they are proof, not only of life after death, but... of the Christian version of Heaven/Hell God/Jesus/Satan...etc... In addition to my own experience, I have read dozens of books over the years on NDE's.

Overwhelmingly, the experiences in books, including my own experience, 'do not' lend any validity to the Christian version of life after death, let alone... that just because some form of 'awareness' and 'experience' continues for 'some'... for awhile, it doesn't prove that we continue on, nor especially the Christian version.

However, I can't discount my experience out of hand to exclude the possibility that somehow something 'may' indeed continue. In what way...? For how long...? As -John R. says 'near.' Well, now we are getting into things that are beyond words.

Regards,

Peace...

July 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • Trey

Peace2All, thank you for that post. It really caught my attention! Thank you. Have a wonderful Independence Day. 🙂

July 4, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • John Richardson

Another key thing to recognize about near death experiences is that the positive ones come to people on a non-sectarian basis. If you want to use these experiences as proof of an afterlife, and they are about the best bits of evidence available, at least have the intellectual integrity to admit that they don't just happen to born again Christians or Christians in general or any belief group. And when they do happen to Christians, things can be surprising. A fundamentalist pastor had a near death experience and a vision of god, who had him relive the experience of frightening a child in his congregation with a fire and brimstone sermon. At that point, god is said to have said "I trust you won't be doing THAT again."

July 4, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • Trey

Peace2All, I am always listening and reading about NDE's from people, to get their prospective. If anyone knows best about death, or life after death it is them.

July 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Trey

Well, I only have 'my' experience to go off of. And, I have to be very careful to 'not' assume that just because, my awareness(again beyond words to accurately explain here) went on... after I was 'near' death for a period of time, does not mean... that it proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt that 'personal awareness' continues.

Who knows...?

Regards,

Peace...

July 4, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • Qrius

tray likes playing hide=and-seek with his pee=pee. We know all about you, tray.

July 4, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Trey

You asked: "Can you prove that God doesn't exist?"

I "proved" that the Christian god is no more likely to exist than Santa. You ignored my post.

You said: "What about the people who have had near death experiences? They made claims that they remember going somewhere before they were revived."

"Skeptics and scientists believe these images are simply the products of a traumatized or dying brain, much like hallucinations or dreams that can seem very real to the person experiencing them. As previously mentioned, sleep deprivation and certain drugs can trigger vivid hallucinations and feelings of peace or oneness with the universe, just as some NDE patients have reported.
      Moreover, skeptics have argued that people of different religions experience NDE’s in the context of the religion they are familiar with, and see what their religious tenets prepare them to see. For this reason, it is unlikely that the various gods and angels appearing in these near-death experience visions have any objective reality outside of the mind."
      Source: Explaining the Near Death Experience: Scientists Have Found Evidence of Mundane Causes of NDEs | Suite101.com

Cheers!

July 4, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
  18. Simon

In case you missed it fda posted that:

'i have a doctoral degree in post neurological and biological mechanics of thought processes. This means that i understand the biological components and chemical reactions that cause lies. And atheism is a lie.'

I eagerly await the proof that atheism is a lie.

July 4, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • settino

Amen!!!!!

July 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • Simon

After all. People with PhDs have existed for over a hundred years and the issue has never been resolved. I am glad that one of the people on this board is the person who can definitively establish the facts on this issue.

Oh btw, don't be afraid to use technical language. While I am only a candidate for a PhD I think I will be able to follow you.

July 4, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • a

I can assure you that 95+ percent of scientists are atheists.

July 4, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Jesus Cristo

Were is your proof there is a GOD... You have NONE cause there is none.. Dont lie about your degree LOL

July 4, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Simon

It seems I can't find a school that offers a degree in that. Perhaps it doesn't have a website yet.

July 4, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Jon

He must have stuck his Lie-O-Meter into the lying ganglion or an atheist and registered over 26 MegaDeceits. It was all very sciency, you wouldn't understand.

July 4, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • Simon

@fda – If you are going to make things up at least take the time to Google the subject. A more believable lie would have been something on the lines of 'I have a degree in psychiatry. During my medical post doc I focused on neurology and brain functions'.

July 4, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Jeff Williams

fda posted that:

"""i have a doctoral degree in post neurological and biological mechanics of thought processes. This means that i understand the biological components and chemical reactions that cause lies. And atheism is a lie."""

Pseudo-scientific babbling ruse. He's lying.

July 4, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • Simon

@Jeff Williams – I know. I am getting my PhD in a field related to psychology so his statement had the feel of BS from start to finish. I am not saying he is right or wrong just calling him out for his BS.

July 4, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • Jeff Williams

Isn't it ironic that a believer would lie about something like this? Too funny.

July 4, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • Qrius

seen it before, liek when tray says he's in the military. yeah, right.

July 4, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  19. Jesus Cristo

There is NO PROOF MY FATHER IS REAL.. I bet none of you has ever seen him.. Cause It is all a LIE!

July 4, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • settino

Jesus, that's means its either you really don't exist, or you came out of a camels derriere!!!

July 4, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • John Richardson

Why a camel? Why not a giant toad?

July 4, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  20. Faithful

Speak of the Devil! Wingrove has his own agenda & few followers. This is a sad commentary & a load of crapola. Happy 4th of July everybody! The truth is that our country was founded by people who believe in God & love God. His delusion is sad really. Too bad there is not a "Dislike" button to hit...do a poll...Do you believe in God? God would win by a complete landslide

July 4, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • Athiests Unite!

Too bad there isnt a dislike button for your stupid comment. People are starting to awaken from your "sky daddy" beliefs. I hope you dont procreate, but you probably have.

July 4, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • AirborneMedic/FirefighterParamedic

You would be amazed at how many people think differently from you faithful You are a Christian due to your place of birth, If you were born in the Middle east you would be supporting Allah just as vehemently.

July 4, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Cassie

A lot of people believe in Allah, too. Doesn't make it true. And that fact that it's not true doesn't make this world a sad one.

July 4, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Scott

Sorry, borneMedic/FirefighterParamedic, you're wrong. I am a Christian who was raised by two science and cynicism liberals. I converted after personal study. How different are your beliefs than your parents? In any case, the Christian religion is intellectually and academically defendable. Personally, I've found more atheism is rooted in the comfort people find in thinking they're smarter than others than in intellectual conclusions. 'Hope you're an exception.

July 4, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • John Richardson

@Scott For every person like you who were raised in an atheist environment and took on religion, there must be hundreds who took the opposite journey. But the basic pattern is true. Most people belong to the religion of their parents, especially when that religion is locally predominant. That's such a basic truth that you have to be trying real hard not to grasp it. Our perhaps your parents were right and your intellect is simply too low octane?

July 4, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • AirborneMedic/FirefighterParamedic

Scott, I was raised in a Roman Catholic home and attended Catholic school until High school. I do not think that I am better or more intelligent than anyone else on this planet. Most people are born into the religion they practice, there are exceptions to this rule ( like all rules) If Faithful was born in Baghdad he/she would most likely be a practicing Muslim. Religion is a personal matter and I have no issue with anyone's belief. The Christian religion is academically and intellectually defendable because you choose to defend it and rationalize it. No amount of evidence will sway your belief, I understand that. Just as no argument will make me suddenly believe in God. I find hate and division in religion, constant seperation ( us and them ) . I choose to look to Humanity for answers.

July 4, 2011 at 4:46 pm |