home
RSS
July 4th, 2011

Atheists explain flying ad campaign

On the Fourth of July across the U.S., American Atheists are taking to skies with a flying banner ad campaign.

They will be flying over busy holiday hot spots like beaches and parks with banners that read: "Atheism is Patriotic" and "God-LESS America."

Some pilots balked and would not fly the banner ads.

Justin Jaye of Fly Signs Aerial Advertising, told the Belief Blog last week,  "I've been in this business for 20 years and I've never run into so much resistance on people flying," Jaye said. "I've had pilots who are actual atheists who said, 'Justin, I am an atheist and I won't fly it because I can't wear a bulletproof vest.'"

In the video above, Rick Wingrove from the Virginia chapter of American Atheists explains to CNN's T.J. Holmes more about the campaign and why they picked the Fourth of July.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Content Partner • Faith • TV-CNN Newsroom • United States

soundoff (1,760 Responses)
  1. Ephraim

What one believes does not change what is, a logical justification cannot create a truth..... Did God create man in his image and likeness? Is there really God? The questions are endless. The loopholes in the evolution theory should make one ask even more questions, beginning from the scratch-the beginning; can any thing, (no matter how little or unquantifiable) arise from nothing? Only a supernatural, all-powerful being who cannot be confined to the ramifications of the human intellect can make that happen.. One must be careful what he says about a being he cannot sincerely justify as non-existent, conflicting theories and religious beliefs not withstanding. To pronounce America GOD-less would just be trying the awe and power of GOD..

July 5, 2011 at 7:24 am |
    • Amused

Typical Circular logic to justify irrational belief.

July 5, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • IgM

There are sound studies that have shown how the initial building blocks of life first came about. They did not arise from nothing. Just because you cannot understand something (and therefore attribute it to the supernatural) does not mean that it cannot be understood...

July 5, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • Confused by Amused

How is the logic circular?

July 5, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • Scott

For most gods I'm an atheist; but, for the god you just defined I'm an agnostic. Now how do you get from this once upon a time, long long ago, in a galaxy far far away possibility that could have started everything to the christian god that becomes apoplectic with rage if I don't use my genitalia exactly as 2000 year old pesants said I should and will damn me to hell for not believing that he is the one that started the ball rolling instead of some one/thing else?

July 5, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@Confused By Amused

While perhaps not perfectly circular (such as "the bible is true because the bible says it's true"), it is very poor logic because the original poster says god must exit because only a god could create the universe, without saying why that might be true or exposing where this alleged god came from.

July 5, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • David Johnson

Check this out:

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo&w=640&h=360]

Cheers!

July 5, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@David J

That was excellent! Thanks! I liked Kraus' presentatiom material and style so much I purchased his biography of Feynman and his book "Atom" and Feynman's book "Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman!" Time to make my annual contribution to The Richard Dawkins Foundation (richarddawkins.net) – I bet that have some new atheist wear that will make great gifts during the upcoming Greedy Gift Getting Season (aka xmas)!

July 6, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  2. Guest

It's amazing how the evolutionist, godless atheists come out of the woodwork and troll the Belief site just posting ignorant comments.

July 5, 2011 at 6:25 am |
    • Odessa

Atheists have too much time to spare because they never take time to read the Bible which they so fiercely attack.

July 5, 2011 at 7:19 am |
    • Scott

Odessa: I didn’t really become an atheist until I decide to read the bible. I didn’t get very far. Man there is nasty stuff in those first 5 books. Evil, war, genocide, fratricide, ince$t, adultery, patricide, r_ape, child mole$tation and slaughter of the entire every man, woman, child and even animal in city after city … and that was the good guys .

July 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  3. Odessa

Stupid America, asking dogs to bless the nation. Shame on you. You'll never be blessed again unless you repent. American Christians are the only reason if any good things happen to USA.

July 5, 2011 at 2:38 am |
  4. Odessa

Nowadays, American non-believers boast of stupid things, immoral things, evil things... becoming beneath dogs, asking dogs to bless them. Dogs are a lot better than these Americans.

July 5, 2011 at 2:10 am |
    • Aaron

Come on, Odessa, lighten up. : ) I'm seeing from your corner a lot of knee-jerk negative assumptions about people who don't follow a god or religion. Get to know some and listen to their stories. Find out whether they have any negative feelings towards religion. If they do, I bet you anything, it's because a whole lot of people in their life make knee-jerk negative assumptions about them, before they even know them.

Thing is, on this holiday we can celebrate any of our freedoms, and in a real celebration, people celebrate what is special to them. Maybe they paid off their home, maybe their mother recovered from cancer, maybe they're happy they live in a golden age of science and progress, maybe they've been clean off of cocaine for ten successful years, maybe they happened upon a new and liberating spiritual understanding, whether it's to find faith, or to leave it – Independence day is great for celebrating any of this.

July 5, 2011 at 3:54 am |
    • Odessa

Aaron, the human freedom is God-given. Americans should stop blaspheming using dogs. Your society is truly becoming worse than the pre-war Germany.

July 5, 2011 at 5:06 am |
    • Guest

Aaron – Maybe atheists should celebrate the soldiers who died and the founding fathers who declared us independent on the 4th, instead of using the holiday to further their private godless agenda. It's like a person using Halloween to fly a banner asking for more churches....it doesn't make sense.

July 5, 2011 at 6:27 am |
    • Scott

Odessa: you remind me so much of my mother that I want to puke. Your type of Christianity is exactly what put me on the road to atheism. To thank my mother for her religious up bringing, every mother's day I go to visit her grave at the cemetery...and PEE on it. Next mothers day I will remember you while I am visiting her.

July 5, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  5. Evan

1) Everything that began to exist has a cause.

2) The universe began to exist.

3) Therefore, the universe has a cause.

An Atheist is likely to say "That doesn't mean a god did it". No, it doesn't. But the Atheist has to prove that this "first cause" is NOT God. An Atheist will respond in one or two ways. 1) "We don't know what caused the universe yet" Wait, so are you suggesting that it is possible that a God exists, but we don't have enough information to know yet? This is called Agnosticism, not Atheism, and as many have said "Agnostics are Atheists without guts". This is why Richard Dawkin's objection to this in "The God Delusion" fails: he appears to affirm a creator, he just doesn't call it God. This is just some strange form of Deism. 2) "You can't prove a negative". Actually, you can. You can prove that there are NO planets between Venus and the Earth. You can prove that there are NO polka-dotted rainbow unicorns. Atheists need to provide evidence that God does NOT exist if we are to believe their position.

July 5, 2011 at 12:15 am |
    • edwest

you are ignorant, and even it were possible, i have faith that YOU still would not be able to prove your negative examples.

July 5, 2011 at 12:23 am |
    • i wonder

Evan,
      "You can prove that there are NO polka-dotted rainbow unicorns."

And your proof is....?

July 5, 2011 at 12:47 am |
    • George

Evan it's people like you who remind me how lucky I am to be able to think straight when so many people face the intellectual hindrance of strange non-factual biases forced and reinforced by ignorant parents

July 5, 2011 at 1:19 am |
    • Jacqueline Hyde

Evan, there is absolutely no scientific requirement for atheists to prove that God, Allah, Quetlcoatl, Zeus, Thor, Kali, Pele, or any other mythological being did not cause the Big Bang. It's is up to the people who claim that God created the universe to prove it.

You claimed that it can be proven that polka-dotted rainbow unicorns don't exist. They might be really tiny and live in an undiscovered nook of the Amazon rainforest. Or maybe they existed once but died out. Or maybe they live in the depths of the Marianas Trench were humans have never visited. Or maybe they are invisible. You said you can prove it. Prove it.

How do you know that the planet is not inhabited by aliens who have invented a cloaking device to hide it from us? How do you know there is not a planet there made of anti-matter that cannot be registered by our present technology? How do you know that God has not hidden a planet there that we cannot sense, and just did not mention it in any religious text?

Prove it.

July 5, 2011 at 1:38 am |
    • joe

"1) Everything that began to exist has a cause.
      2) The universe began to exist.
      3) Therefore, the universe has a cause."

1) I can accept this on its own merit. But the use of the word "cause" confuses the issue. It would be better to say, perhaps, "Everything that exists is the result something."

2) Also fairly valid. No complaints, although I am not a huge fan of your sentence structure.

3) This is where we start to get into trouble. Well, statement three, and then your whole paragraph below. Let me start by saying that, yes, the universe is most likely the result of something happening. Cosmologists have a pretty good theory of how it could have come about. I'm no scientist, let alone a cosmological specialist, so please excuse my poor summary. Apparently, the physics of the universe work out perfectly in such a way that our universe could have quite literally started from nothing. Quantum fluctuations, which are very tricky even for trained minds to comprehend, can account for the source of the big bang, and that would lead to exactly the kind of universe in which we live. It is quite interesting. This video explains it much better than I can. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo

You also seem to confuse the meaning of agnostic and atheist, and to your credit, many people do. An agnostic is someone who doesn't know whether something is true or not, where a gnostic is someone who knows absolutely that something is so. An atheist is a person who doesn't believe in a deity, where a theist is a religious person (as opposed to a deist, someone who believes in a deity but no particular religion.). So someone can be an agnostic atheist (I'm not sure, but I don't think there is a god), an agnostic theist (I'm not sure, but I think there is a god), a gnostic atheist (there is absolutely no god), or a gnostic theist (there absolutely is a god.) I would have to say that the only logical position to take is agnosticism. Surely we can't know if there is a god for certain, or what would be the point of faith? As to atheism versus theism, that is a personal matter, and I frankly don't care what people believe.

Finally, I have to take issue with the section where you speak to proving a negative. You may be correct, when speaking about concrete observable things. If i sit in front of an empty box, i can easily prove that it is not a full box. But That doesn't mean that I have proven the box to be full of ghosts. In other words, it should be possible to prove the absence of god in the universe, and perhaps with some time we will, but the problem is that god is an abstract concept. Atheists can no more prove god doesn't exist than theists can prove it does. And this is where things get a little tricky, because we run into something called "the burden of proof", otherwise known as who has to provide the evidence.

It is only logical that the person making an extraordinary claim must provide the evidence. If i claimed there was a teapot orbiting the sun just outside of saturn, you would require me to prove it. If i then responded with "prove there isn't!", you would know I was being ridiculous. Because I claimed something extraordinary, I must provide the proof. When you claim that there is an invisible, conscious being in control of everything in the universe, who is omnipotent, who is everywhere at the same time, who cares what i think and do, I can't help but tell you that you are making an extraordinary claim. And so the burden of proof lies on the theist.

Again, I don't care what you believe, but atheists are routinely mocked, mistreated, and made social outcasts. Our rights are violated in the name of religion, and when we speak out against these abuses we are told that we aren't being respectful. It is quite sickening. So why don't we all just agree to live together and not bother ourselves with our neighbor's religions? Cool.

July 5, 2011 at 2:31 am |
    • Quantum Spin Topology

joe, good post.
      I would like to point out a small oversight on your part: the lack of a definition of a god.
      Once you can define this term, then it can be used according to the definition. When everyone has their own idea of what a god is or isn't, then the term is obviously too va-gue to use when making distinctions of this sort.
      If we pick one particular god with particular attributes, anything that is impossible is nullified as needing proof one way or the other, while anything that is possible is very likely to be testable and verifiable as well. We do not live in a vacuum.

July 5, 2011 at 7:23 am |
    • Evan

"there is absolutely no scientific requirement for atheists to prove that God, Allah, Quetlcoatl, Zeus, Thor, Kali, Pele, or any other mythological being did not cause the Big Bang"

1) Actually, you do. Let's say you completely disproved every argument for every religion (which you have yet to do). Technically speaking, one of these religions could still be correct. And even still: perhaps the Deists are correct. Atheists have to offer proof too.

2) Also, this is called "Agnosticism". Atheists have to offer proof.

"You claimed that it can be proven that polka-dotted rainbow unicorns don't exist"

1) This is irrelevant. You understand my point; it is possible to prove a negative.

2) This is strange: you appear to be saying that it's possible that a God exists, we just don't know enough about the universe to know, yet. This is called Agnosticism, not Atheism. If you were an Atheist, you have to say "Whatever this first cause is, it is NOT a god", which, as of now, requires faith.

Joe,

Thank you, my friend, for actually responding with arguments and not blind criticism.

"Also fairly valid. No complaints, although I am not a huge fan of your sentence structure".

This is the way philosopher Dr. William Lane Craig structures the argument. It's a way to respond to people who say "What created God". When you say "Everything that began to exist..." and someone asks this question, you can just point out that God never began to exist.

A good argument does not have to be irrefutable, as no such argument exists. A good argument, however, must consist of 3 things:

1) Obey the laws of Logic
      2) Premises are true
      3) Premises are more plausible than oppostie.

Premise 1 states: "Everything that began to exist has a cause"

1) This is more plausible than the opposite ("the universe came into being from nothing")
      2) This is constantly confirmed by our experience. Few people would disagree with this first statement.

Premise 2 states: "The universe began to exist"

A common objection is "Perhaps the universe existed forever". But this doesn't make sense.

1) Philosophical theories show that an infinite regress of cause and effect is impossible.

2) Scientific evidence shows that an expanding universe, such as ours, cannot be eternal.

A common objection to the second point is the "oscillating universe theory", which was popular in the 1960's. However, the Penrose-Hawking singularity theorms show that 1) time and space had an absolute beginning and 2) an oscilating universe is impossible because space and time cannot pass through a singularity.

The conclusion ("Therefore, the universe has a cause") follows.

This is by definition a good argument because it 1) follows the laws of logic (A, B, therefore C), 2) the premises are true (everything that began to exist has a cause, and the universe began to exist, as confirmed by the Penrose-Hawking singularity theorms), and 3) the premises are more plausible than their opposites ("the universe came from nothing")

"our universe could have quite literally started from nothing"

Quantum flucuations can only happen in a vacuum. As Stephen Hawkings has pointed out, even a vacuum consists of space and time. Hawkings also says space and time had a beginning.

"You also seem to confuse the meaning of agnostic and atheist"

An agnostic is someone who says "We can't know whether or not there is a god, yet". An Atheist bluntly says "There is no God". When someone says "We can't know what caused the universe, yet", they are an Agnostic. With the argument I posted, an Atheist has to prove that this first cause IS NOT a god.

"god is an abstract concept"

Christians desribe God as an all-powerful, all-knowing, benevolent, eternal being who exists outside of space and time.

"I don't care what you believe, but atheists are routinely mocked, mistreated, and made social outcasts"

Upon observation, most Atheists appear to be rude, while most Christians appear to be open-minded and accepting. (You appear to be quite respectful and nice, but nonetheless). Like when the American Atheists Association sends out their "Jesus is Lard" or "The Easter bunny died for YOUR Easter eggs", and then complain that the religious constantly abuse them, it's like "I wonder why..."

July 5, 2011 at 11:54 am |
    • Laughing

@Joe

Kudos and well done! We also share the same name so I would expect nothing less. Your arguments are well reasoned and highly logical, the problem is, you're trying to be rational to irrational people. Most believers on this blog so firmly believe that we've reached in impass with the "prove god exists!" "prove god doesn't exist" problem that when atheist keep bringing up the point with analogies to boot, believers see that as us waving the white flag. However, I encourage you to keep using your keen intellect to fight the good fight! Hoepfully one day rationality will prevail!

July 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • John Richardson

Ok. So if everything that exists must have a cause and god exists, what caused god?

July 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • Scott

Evan:
      1) Everything that began to exist has a cause.

2) Did your god begin to exist?

3a. He began to exist) Therefore, god has a cause.

3.b. He always existed) Then the universe could have too

July 5, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • Stevie7

@Scott,

Any intent any having a rational discussion with Evan probably could have ended when you read "it is possible to prove a negative." When you make up your own rules, anything can happen.

July 5, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • Jacqueline Hyde

Well, it's safe to say that Evan does not earn his living in any field that requires logic, because . . . WOW! THat's so obviously absurd that it is its own rebuttal/

But it is wonderfully cute to watch some Christians try to apply logic and science without the slightest idea of what they are doing. It's like watching a 2-year-old pretend to drive using a paper plate as a steering wheel.

July 5, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • Evan

John Richardson,

"So if everything that exists must have a cause and god exists, what caused god?"

Note my wording: "Everything that begins to exist has a cause". Christians believe that God has existed forever, outside of space and time, and therefore never "began" to exist.

Scott,

"He always existed) Then the universe could have too"

Actually, the universe couldn't have. The Penrose-Hawking Singularity Theorms prove that 1) time and space had an absolute beginning, and 2) an oscillating universe is impossible because time and space cannot pass through a singularity. Also, scientists in the 1970's have shown that an expanding universe could not be eternal.

Also, many philosophers have given reasons why an infinite regression of cause and effect is impossible. The universe did indeed have a beginning.

Stevie7,

"Any intent any having a rational discussion with Evan..."

Ad Hominem Fallacy.

"...probably could have ended when you read "it is possible to prove a negative."

Well, it is. It's possible to prove that there are NO purple unicorns living in your basement.

This is also strange, you appear to be saying that it's possible that a God exists, we just don't have enough information ot know. This is called Agnosticism. An Atheist has to prove that the 1st cause is NOT God.

Jacqueline Hyde

"it's safe to say that Evan does not earn his living in any field that requires logic"

Being a high-school student takes alot more thinking than most jobs.

"But it is wonderfully cute to watch some Christians try to apply logic and science without the slightest idea of what they are doing"

Alright, so if my argument is so dumb, why don't you try to refute it. Prove that this 1st cause isn't God. Prove that not everything that began to exists has a cause. Prove that the universe is eternal (an idea the philosophy and science both deem impossible). Winning an argument requires more than just empty words.

July 5, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • Laughing

@ Evan,

Can I first say it's pretty weird that you try and use science to strengthen your argument, however you try to hold up the Penrose-Hawking Singularity Theorum as proof, but it's a THEORM buddy, not a law and could be refuted. Do not, NOT, base answers off theorums or else things could go south for you very quickly.

Secondly, "Well, it is. It's possible to prove that there are NO purple unicorns living in your basement" What exactly is your proof? that since there aren't purple unicorns in my basement that they don't live there? Then shouldn't the same hold true for an atheist to say, well there is no evidence of gods existence so thus god doesn't exist? I'm trying to understand your logic here so please help me out. This is what every atheist has been trying to do for a while, the proof of no god is the fact that there isn't proof there is one, same holds true for the purple unicorns.

July 5, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Stevie7

" It's possible to prove that there are NO purple unicorns living in your basement."

Then please do so.

You can't. You could conduct some experiments, but all you would be left with is the reasonable and highly likely assumption that there are no purple unicorns in my basement. You cannot prove it. Again – you're making up rules. That doesn't make them valid.

July 5, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • Flint Eastrock

"Being a high-school student takes alot more thinking than most jobs."

Hilarious! That's the best line ever, Evan! That just explains so much! Another teenager who thinks he has all the answers, but does not understand burden of proof at all.

July 5, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • Robert Robertovich

If I can ask, Evan, why do you believe in God? Where did it start?

Did you have some experience that proved it to you and then you became religious? Or did you grow up in a religioous family surrounded by religious friends, and since they all believed it, so did you? Think about it for a minute before you read on.

My point here is that the huge majority of religious people simply conformed to the religion that surrounded them at birth. They really have never seriously explored other religions as a serious option. If you are the exact same religion as your parents, then you really did not choose it – you conformed. Had you been born in Saudi Arabia, you would have been a Sunni Muslim, in Utah a Mormon, in Delhi a Hindu, in the Amazon rainforest a pantheist.

You are so dead certain that you are right, but you cannot give even the slightest scrap of solid evidence that what you believe is even remotely true. Not a single thing thing you have presented is in any way proof of anything you believe – you are instead attempting to point out flaws in science. Most of the "flaw" comes out of the distorted way you worded it, not the science itself. And nothing you said does not even remotely proves the existence of God.

I have seen your other posts too, and you make a lot of major mistakes. Please don't play so fast-and-loose with the facts. Perhaps you should wait until you have attended college, preferably a real one, until you attempt to present a case like this.

July 5, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
    • Eldensword

I don't know what you folks are sniffing but Evan has laid it all out in clear, understandable terms. This is beautifully constructed and well written! And just look at the rebuttals! Two, three sentence, "Yeah? Well, uh...So there!" arguments. Profound! You called them on their true AGNOSTIC tendencies and they can't stand it. Well done!
      Robert Robertovich – “You are so dead certain that you are right, but you cannot give even the slightest scrap of solid evidence”…Yeah buddy, and YOU? You aren’t pouring out the same empty nonsensical stance? NUTS! I can’t answer for Evan, but I can tell you that you and your Hater buddies are being left out and that’s why the hate builds and builds in your quest to seek and destroy God. You’re being left out! I won’t say by God, I’m no authority on that by any stretch. I can say that it is so obvious that you know what it means to be truly forsaken. It’s interesting to watch you all squirm like bugs that know they’re about to be squashed (As if a bug could know that). Again, I don’t know your fate but man, think about it! You get challenged to admit you don’t know what the absolute true origin of the matter that surrounds you really is…And so you’re biggest argument or maneuver is to throw it back and demand proof of God in the same way? But you’re not in the club! If you’ve denounced God and hate the idea of faith in him…Why would you ever feel what it’s like to have PROOF right in front of you the way we do? You’re begging to feel the proof that we feel in our hearts, yet you are a dark-hearted blasphemer. You demand proof from another human!!?? That’s your first mistake! It’s not ours to give. We have it. But friend, you’re going about it the wrong way to receive it for yourself. And let me make it clear, I don’t belong to a church. My methods and responses here I hope would only jar you into taking in some bit of reason. It really doesn’t make sense to you that your hate is blocking the truth from entering your heart? God’s love is not Christian, Jewish or Hindu…Man has messed all of that up. The stories, the lies, the manipulation is all you poor people feed on. Stop arguing about proof of God and confusing it with ignorant religion and pre-conceived notions of zealots! Transcend then for crying out loud! No people in the churches? So no spirituality? WRONG! Man is sick of man’s crap! Atheists live inside…man’s crap…I like that! Dig yourself out, gaze upon the “endless” (I get the irony) Universe and just keep asking for guidance. Ask him for PROOF. Just be prepared to see it in another form than what YOU demand. Remember, the mechanism of faith is intended to sort the Haters out. Why be a Hater? You don’t have to understand this right now, but why in the world would you actively seek to kill an idea in which you haven’t had the chance to even fully understand? Scientists don’t do that, right? Here’s a theory, let’s work all angles to prove it? Have YOU worked all the angles on this God thing? You may have some snarky answer to show off in front of your Hater buddies…But man, I read your passion against this really smart kid and I gotta tell you…You don’t know squat about squat. The truth will set you free. And no, my parents didn’t brainwash me. I asked, and I received. Thanks be to God.

July 6, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  6. Satanlovesyou

God killed more people than Satan and as you start to comprehend the ramifications of this Satan has been let Satan into your life is is now your new lord. Now you are free.

Welcome

July 4, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
    • Odessa

God is holy, God is good. God gives and He takes away according to His sovereignty because He is the Creator.
      Satan is the father of lies and the arch-enemy of God and mankind. The Lake of Fire awaits Satan and all his followers.
      Read Revelation chapter 20 for the ending.

July 5, 2011 at 5:10 am |
    • Guest

Wrong. People kill people. You don't believe in God, remember?

July 5, 2011 at 6:23 am |
    • Odessa

Even Satanists can be saved by repentance and calling upon the name of Jesus to deliver them from the powers of Darkness. Jesus can save anyone. Call upon His name.

July 5, 2011 at 7:16 am |
  7. Reality

Third place and gaining as we type and fly our banners:-––

As noted at http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

Cao Dai 4 million
    Zoroastrianism 2.6 million
    Tenrikyo 2 million
    Neo-Paganism 1 million
    Unitarian Universalism 800,000
    Rastafari Movement 600,000"

1.5 million Conservative Jews and there rabbis have concluded that Abraham, based on lack of text and architectural evidence, probably did not exist. Therefore Christianity, Islam and Judaism have no foundation and fail as religions moving irreligious, atheists and agnostics to the top of the list.

July 4, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
    • Odessa

Christians saved 7 billion humans. Atheists killed nearly 1 billion.

July 5, 2011 at 2:07 am |
    • Guest

Congrats! You officially came from an ape and will go nowhere when you die. How do you feel?

July 5, 2011 at 6:24 am |
    • Laughing

@ Guest

Pretty Great! You see, I get to live this life to the fullest and enjoy myself alot without having to worry about some guy reading my mind and sending me to eternal hel.lfire, how do you feel?

July 5, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  8. Carl Wayne

god or gods are highly unlikely. Anyone's belief in them is only relevant to them and should stay that way.

July 4, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
    • Charles

Or lack of belief.

July 4, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
    • Randy

No Charles, it should be pointed out when people believe in nonsense.

July 4, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
    • Zeke2112

Belief is a human invention. Only a person with a severe mental illness would insist on the existence of something when everything they know about life points to the opposite. A person who believes they've seen a UFO is ridiculed, but a person who believes that an all-powerful being created creatures as flawed as humans are is enlightened and "saved."

I know that the sun will come up. I know that the moon orbits the Earth. I know that bacon is tasty. I do not need to believe in any of these things, and I do not need to believe in the existence of a deity that has never been shown to exist.

July 5, 2011 at 12:09 am |
    • Evan

Zeke2112,

I have two points to make:

1) This is a major weakness in Atheism. Atheists often say "Belief in God is the result of evolution. The only reason we believe is because it helped our ancestors survive". Alright, so if our beliefs are the result of evolution, and do not always reflect reality, how do you arrive at the conclusion that your own ideas are correct? According to your theory, perhaps they're just the result of evolution too. It's a self-refuting argument. When Atheists call Atheism "rational", it's quite contradictory; Atheism undermines the very possibility of rational thought.

2) Isn't it really narrow-minded to call everyone who believes in God "delusional"? I thought Atheists were supposed be open-minded. Guess not...

July 5, 2011 at 12:30 am |
    • edwest

@ Evan – it's their open-mindedness that leads them to these wild theories of how things work. if anything, they should be more close-minded to have a canned answer of "God said so...." for every question that comes up. us christians are the most close minded trolls out here. get real, evan.

it's time for even to drink the punch.

July 5, 2011 at 12:39 am |
    • Scott

Amen

July 5, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  9. Karl

Science Damn It!! Why won't they fly our banners????

July 4, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
    • I_get_it

@Oren
      "They could have had the banner say Athiests Bless America..."

Atheists don't think that they have any magical powers to "bless" anything.

(p.s. I do think that their banner slogan is a bit harsh-sounding... but sometimes the truth is that way).

July 4, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
    • I_get_it

oops... that belongs one slot lower for @Oren.

July 4, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  10. Oren

They could have had the banner say Athiests Bless American but no, they had to drag in their favority whipping point and lost any positive things they might have gained. Par for the course with them. Their beliefs are based on making trash and fun others beliefs. Losers

July 4, 2011 at 9:04 pm |
    • AirborneMedic/FirefighterParamedic

Atheists do not bless things. God-less in America describes what an Atheist is. It doesn't demean or poke fun at anyone's religion. I respect your right to believe anything you want to. Respect my right to not believe as you do.

July 4, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
    • HeavenSent

God sent us here to trash stuff. Christians are great at that.

July 4, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • Stevie7

"they had to drag in their favority whipping point and lost any positive things they might have gained. Par for the course with them. Their beliefs are based on making trash and fun others beliefs. Losers"

One could say the exact same thing about any religion who tells people they will suffer for eternity if you don't believe the way they do.

July 5, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • Scott

@AirborneMedic/FirefighterParamedic: I emphatically disagree!!! Atheists bless all kinds of things for example doctors with out borders. When we bless something we do some physical thing that makes the world better, it is the only blessing we have. As apposed to many religious types that spew verbal blessings and their god's blessings; but, who's actions are a bit more limited (Howard Camping for example)

July 5, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
  11. Odessa

Now, atheists and Sodomites will spoil every holiday in America...

July 4, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Odessa, I'd sodomize you if I could.

Amen.

July 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
    • AirborneMedic/FirefighterParamedic

Are you serious Odessa? Christians are no more moral than anyone else. Don't come to the parades and fireworks then if you are afraid of being sullied by an Atheist, or even worse a Sodomite...... What century is this again? Do you mean a H0m0-$exual, or Hetero$exuals who engage in "unclean" practices?

July 4, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
    • apostate

Like OMG it's the atheist & sodomite take over.

July 4, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
    • Aaron

Get to know some atheists. For your sake, and for everybody's. The distaste you so freely and prejudicially dispense to your fellow-man is kind of repulsive. I hope for Christianity's sake you don't claim to represent Christians.

July 5, 2011 at 3:57 am |
    • My Dog Hates Fireworks

@ Aaron

" Get to know some atheists. For your sake, and for everybody's."
      I know some atheists. They're offensive, bigoted, hateful and scared people. They think religion is going to run their interests into the ground through theocratic mob rule. They're wimps, and more over, they run their mouths incessantly, even in the most inopportune and inappropriate occasions. They're disrespectful and adolescent. Consequently, I don't care to know any more atheists, and if any more atheists make an inappropriate scene during a parade or similar public event, my guess is that they'll be smacked in the mouth for their effort. If you don't have the common decency to work within the system, the system will swallow you whole, spit out the seeds, and crap you out behind a bush. Probably during an anti-abortion rally. Behind the port-a-pots. On the far side of the parking lot.

"The distaste you so freely and prejudicially dispense to your fellow-man is kind of repulsive. "
      If I find someone repulsive two things happen. First I ignore them. If they continue to annoy me I'll dispense whatever form of 'distaste' I care to in an effort to get them to stop annoying me. So you reap what you sow, buckos.

"I hope for Christianity's sake you don't claim to represent Christians."
      I don't lay any claims to representing anyone except myself, so save your strawfight. All the belabored and offensive protestations from you can be summed up in just one nugget of objection. You don't like the politics pressed by the Christian lobby. Fine. So go after the politics through the lobby process. Organize. Collect money. Prove that you represent a viable voting consti tuency.

But why try to argue against belief? It's futile, as all you'll do is píss off people and further polarize them.

July 5, 2011 at 7:10 am |
    • My Dog Hates Fireworks

@ Aaron

" Get to know some atheists. For your sake, and for everybody's."
      I know some atheists. They're offensive, bigoted, hateful and scared people. They think religion is going to run their interests into the ground through theocratic mob rule. They're wimps, and more over, they run their mouths incessantly, even in the most inopportune and inappropriate occasions. They're disrespectful and adolescent. Consequently, I don't care to know any more atheists, and if they make inappropriate scenes during a parade or similar public event, my guess is that they'll be smacked in the mouth for their effort. If you don't have the common decency to work within the system, the system will swallow you whole and cra p you out behind a bush. Probably during a right-to-life rally. Behind the port-a-pots. On the far side of the parking lot.

"The distaste you so freely and prejudicially [sic] dispense to your fellow-man is kind of repulsive. "

"I hope for Christianity's sake you don't claim to represent Christians."
      I don't lay any claims to representing anyone except myself, so save your straw. All the belabored and offensive protestations from you can be summed up in just one nugget of objection. You don't like the politics pressed by the Christian lobby. Fine. So go after the politics through the lobby process. Organize. Collect money. Prove that you represent a viable voting consti tuency.

July 5, 2011 at 7:16 am |
    • My Dog Hates Fireworks

apols on the double post. Seems I anticipate getting hung in moderation even if the copy was clean.

July 5, 2011 at 7:19 am |
    • Stevie7

@My Dog Hates Fireworks: "offensive, bigoted, hateful and scared"

That's pretty much how I would describe your post.

July 5, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • BG

See Stevie, this is where it all comes to a neat, tidy little conclusion. You and your ilk are basically impotent. You're harmless, except for the vitriol you slather on the believing masses in an attempt to embarrass them into submission through emotional denigration. You don't f'n get it. You must be thick. Believers will not accept your logic. It's not requisite for belief. It doesn't matter. But on and on the idiot adolescents continue with the diatribe.

I really, truly don't give a fat round shít about you or people like you when you insist on demeaning someone else's belief structure. It's not an argument. There is no argument to be had. People's beliefs are simply statements of their inherent values. You might as well try to convince people that the moon is green or the sun is purple. The bottom line is that you miserable, pathetic, whiny, pimple-faced adolescent twíts are simply spinning in circles spewing insults on those that vote differently from yourselves.

Militant radical atheists. Right. Get stuffed. In the meantime just roll another fatty and bítch about how the Baptists are going to take over the country. What morons you are if you really believe that society is incapable of striking a moral balance.

July 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  12. David Johnson

By Kate Kelland
    REUTERS
    updated 7/4/2011 12:39:00 PM ET
    LONDON — If Aubrey de Grey's predictions are right, the first person who will live to see their 150th birthday has already been born. And the first person to live for 1,000 years could be less than 20 years younger.
    A biomedical gerontologist and chief scientist of a foundation dedicated to longevity research, de Grey reckons that within his own lifetime doctors could have all the tools they need to "cure" aging – banishing diseases that come with it and extending life indefinitely.
    "I'd say we have a 50/50 chance of bringing aging under what I'd call a decisive level of medical control within the next 25 years or so," de Grey said in an interview before delivering a lecture at Britain's Royal Inst_itution academy of science.

We don't need no stinking god! Put your faith in science. It is real.

Cheers!

July 4, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I`m already way too old.

Amen.

July 4, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • jean

Science is made up of people and people make mistakes, so science is just as flawed as any other human undertaking. "Put your faith in science" is just about right. Believing some of the scientific claims out there is often more a question of faith than fact.

July 4, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Bean

Jean, get over your misconceptions.Whereas religion such as Christianity requires faith but has no evidence for its claims, faith has no place in science. Science is always open to question and can be corrected and modified when flaws are found. In contrast, religion is 100% dogmatic, the supposed word of god. Yet, in the case of Christianity, that word of god has errors and contradictions. Being dogma-bound, religion cannot be modified, so it should be discarded when errors are found in it. Unfortunately, in the case of Christianity, a ton of errors have been found in the book of that religion, yet few have the courage to put its nonsense aside.

Some one recently here posted the following great quote, and it`s appropriate now: `Religion is for the cowardly, the gullible, the ignorant, and the stupid, and for those who would profit from them.` You apparently belong in at least the gullible group.

July 4, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • Scott

Science will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into a building.

July 5, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  13. Mark Asch

I think that on today, particularly, we should remember and/or research the Founding Fathers and their stance on religion. Generally, they were deists but were quite secular and very much against organized religion having a major role in life in general, let alone in government. And these were some incredibly smart, enlightened guys. I recently learned that the 1796 treaty with Tripoli specifically states that the USA is "in no sense founded on the Christian religion". That's worth remembering and appreciating.

July 4, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  14. These guys are teaching reality!!

Of course the people who want to still live in fantasy land want to fight about. I hope our children learn that the deity created by people wanting power is not the way, science is the future.

July 4, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  15. RGeneration

LOL !!! Go for it Atheists. Condemn yourselves. You can do it.....ridicule someone you think doesn't exist. LOL. I've never seen so much enthusiasm to prove someone doesn't exist. :))) Do it...please. Mock God. Do it......do it....I dare you to mock my God and boast about it !!

July 4, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
    • AirborneMedic/FirefighterParamedic

Are you going to punish us? It's ok to ridicule our choice to not believe and to push your agenda politically, but if a plane tows a banner you're ready to get it on? Very Christian, Jesus would be proud.

July 4, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
    • AirborneMedic/FirefighterParamedic

We don't have to prove God doesn't exist. The burden of proof is on the Theists. There are pro religion billboards all over this country, not to mention about 40 churches per hospital in metro areas. What is the big stinking deal about a banner being dragged by an airplane?

July 4, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • albert f. maas

Mock! Mock! Mock!

July 4, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
    • albert f. maas

I just mocked your god and I am boasting about it.

July 4, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
    • AirborneMedic/FirefighterParamedic

Beat me to it Albert....

July 4, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Don`t mock god. He`s a real mean and scary bast-ard and he`ll torment you forever and ever and ever if you crack a joke about him or even think of one. And he loves you. He loves you. No really, he loves you.

Amen.

July 4, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
    • AirborneMedic/FirefighterParamedic

Have to love George Carlin!

July 4, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • apostate

I blaspheme the holy spirit every day and the celestial teapot.

July 4, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
    • Scott

MOCK!!! Mock mock mock. Mock mock mock mock mock, mock mock!!! If your god is so small and so petty that my mocking him will pi$$ him off more than an ant mocking me. Then we are all doomed to the same hell. If he is that psychotic, it doesn't matter how hard you kiss his a$$, he's still gona' damn you (even if you French (even if you $uck))

July 5, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  16. Muneef

Ad campaigns as if marketing for selling products? OK Christians and Muslims went on spreading their teachings of God...what you have to teach? NeoTech ?

July 4, 2011 at 7:57 pm |
    • AirborneMedic/FirefighterParamedic

Possibly free thinking. Not being on of the Sheeple. Doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do, not for some mystical reward after death. That about covers it.

July 4, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
    • AirborneMedic/FirefighterParamedic

on = one.

July 4, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • apostate

We teach reality.

July 4, 2011 at 11:15 pm |
  17. Bill the Human

Also, atheists aren't lobbying to have their beliefs put into legislation. Nobody on Capitol Hill is trying to pass a bill that would officially designate this country as a Christian Country. In Arkansas it is illegal to buy alcohol on Sundays. These are all examples of how Christians try to shove it down everyone's throat. Atheists simply don't want that kind of thing to occur. Nobody said you can't pray in class, just don't make everyone do it with you. It's funny how when prayer was no longer sanctioned by American public school systems the Christians got all mad about it, but they don't seem to realize that their kid can still pray in school, the only thing that changed was teachers aren't allowed to grab everyone and get them together to make them do it. That is what we call in the adult world a "compromise." Your kid can pray, mine doesn't have to.

Outside of preventing religion and its adherents from legislating their beliefs, atheists really don't care what you guys do with your time. Stop caring about what we do with outs.

July 4, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
  18. Bill the Human

Awesome. So nice to see people are no longer ashamed of their atheistic leanings. I wonder how many people call themselves a Christian just because they think that is what everyone around them wants to hear? I did that very thing up until I was like 11 or 12, which was about the time I started to think for myself and formulate my own opinions on a variety of topics.

I'm not saying people should be PROUD to be an atheist. That's stupid. I'm just saying people should not be ashamed of it.

July 4, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
  19. Edward Kryslak

All religitards should be placed in a ring to fight until there is only one religion, than the Atheists should be placed in the ring to fight the remaining religitards. This would not only bring the worlds population down to a manageable level but would usher in a golden age of peace and prosperity.

July 4, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
    • Phil the Fella

Yay! More violence! It's solved so much, surely it will solve these last few problems and then we can all live in peace.

July 5, 2011 at 2:03 am |
  20. Nina

NOTE: To All Athiests – NOBODY IS INTERESTED, period..........This NOTE really should go out to all the Fanatics of every Religion in Existence.....Everyone is free to choose how spiritual, religious or non-religious they are – just quit trying to cram your belief's down other's throats!!!

July 4, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • IPU

Hey Nina, you and your religious cronies can quit cramming it down everyone's throat first.. Its bad mmmkay... Cant hardly do anything without hearing how great and wonderful god is, and then being threatened because we dont believe in your god. The really interesting thing about christians is how they hate muslims but share the same god and have a nearly identical religion. Willful ignorance is no way to go through life dear. Have a nice day.

July 4, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Again with the throats. "Atheism is patriotic." Simple statement. What about it consti-tutes force, violence, threats, or intimidation? It's an expression of an opinion. You may not SHARE the opinion, but nobody's holding a gun to your head saying you've gotta pretend to. This country is festooned with billboards claiming "Jesus loves you." ALSO an opinion. Does that also meet your very low standard for having something "crammed down your throat"?

July 4, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • Emmy Rae

What is it with "cramming down throats"? Last year it was "slap in the face" and "lipstick on a pig"!

July 4, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Emmy Rae, I think it's coming from the same people who thot it was just an extremely clever remark to make during their opposition to marriage equality.

July 4, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
    • Phil the Fella

"Atheism is patriotic" is cramming atheism down people's throats but "God bless America" isn't cramming theism down people's throats? I don't understand your logic.

July 5, 2011 at 2:05 am |
    • Donna

Way to play the victim Nina. No one is actually cramming anything down anyone's throats. If you don't like something someone writes or says- don't read it or listen to it. It really is that simple.

July 5, 2011 at 2:21 am |