home
RSS
July 4th, 2011

Atheists explain flying ad campaign

On the Fourth of July across the U.S., American Atheists are taking to skies with a flying banner ad campaign.

They will be flying over busy holiday hot spots like beaches and parks with banners that read: "Atheism is Patriotic" and "God-LESS America."

Some pilots balked and would not fly the banner ads.

Justin Jaye of Fly Signs Aerial Advertising, told the Belief Blog last week,  "I've been in this business for 20 years and I've never run into so much resistance on people flying," Jaye said. "I've had pilots who are actual atheists who said, 'Justin, I am an atheist and I won't fly it because I can't wear a bulletproof vest.'"

In the video above, Rick Wingrove from the Virginia chapter of American Atheists explains to CNN's T.J. Holmes more about the campaign and why they picked the Fourth of July.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Content Partner • Faith • TV-CNN Newsroom • United States

soundoff (1,760 Responses)
  1. didyouknow

"Good point! That is what I don't get. If they do not believe in God, fine. I am a Christian, and do not shove my faith down their throats."

But you do: "In God we trust", "One nation under God", the 10 commandments in courthouses, signs on roadways, it's all over. Christians shove their religion down all Americans throats. If you just kept your religion to yourselves and let other religions and those without other religions live in peace it would be so much better.

July 4, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • Nick

Great post. I wish all the fanaticals read it!

July 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • apostate

Not to mention they are commanded to convert everyone and condemn non-Christians to the everlasting imaginary place of eternal torment.

July 4, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • Nick

July 4, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • didyouknow

According to a PEW Survey – 21 % of America is not Christian. That number is certainly rising and does not really take into account those who still associate themselves with a religion but don't follow it and are not active in it.

http://religions.pewforum.org/reports – this is the survey.

July 4, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • 4mercy

Then I guess the good news from that poll is that 79% IS Christian and still spreading God's message.

July 4, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Nick

You said: "Nick
      Being condomned to an imaginary kingdom of fire doesn't so much bother me, rather not getting a 100k job because the company would look bad hiring an athiest is somewhat harder to deal with."

You are right about your "bother". I have a friend that was asked to lunch during the interview process. He (stupidly) let it be known that he was a freethinker. He didn't get the job.

For any job seekers – Companies can't ask about your religious beliefs. Don't assume that being an atheist is a plus, that you should share.

Cheers!

July 4, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • SCAtheist

@didyouknow Thank you!

July 4, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • Felix

Great post! I am also proof that you have to live closeted if you want to have any form or career in a major corporation, at least here in Texas. Atheists are the last group without civil rights.

July 5, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
  2. AMSP

We live in a free country. It's our right to believe or not believe in anything you want. If somebody is not OK with that, the door is wide open. Make sure it doesn't hit you on the way out.

July 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Nick

I think you're missing their point. All their trying to do is instill some knowledge and decency to people who would shun them. They're not saying that you should stop believing (even though you believing in fairy tales and a BOOK written by God himself is pretty hilarious)

July 4, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • pdfsmail

Nicely put... This was pretty much my point... the two sides bicker and battle over nothing they can definitively prove.. both sides always personal scripture or theory based messages that go nowhere. Why not just let it go and enjoy the 4th? Get together and have steak and potatoes before the fireworks!

July 4, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • didyouknow

the problem is that many christians believe if you don't believe in what they believe you are unamerican and can leave if you want to.

July 4, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • 4mercy

Even the American founding fathers believed that the form of government they were proposing could only work for a group of people who lived moral lives. I think a big part of the problem is that im morality has spread far and wide – not only in America but around the world. Christians do not want to see more and more people follow and accept those im moral ways which inevitably do harm to others.

July 4, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • didyouknow

Good news is the wrong word. That's the problem for the 16% and growing. If they stopped "spreading" the fairytale maybe we could live in peace.

July 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • open2it

4Mercy,
      It is quite true that a democratic and capitalist society can only function as designed in a moral environment. Where it seems your thinking is skewed is the implication that to be moral one must be Christian. Doing the right thing means doing the right thing, whether you do it because it is a commandment from God or because it is just the right thing to do is a mtter of personal choice. "Remember, Mookie, always do the right thing."

July 4, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • 4mercy

Actually, it seems like many people – including some Christians and those of other religions – have come to accept im_morality as normal. This is the problem...and I believe it is more acceptable amongst those who do not follow any religions or religions which lean liberal – at least from my experience. They're okay with p o r n ography, with a b o r tion, with d r u g use, with casual s e x and on and on. It's not to say that there aren't im_moral Christians – I believe divorce is im_moral, although many do not...that's exactly what I mean. It's come to be an acceptable phenomenon....and the more im_moral things which are accepted, the worse off we are as a society...the worse we treat one another...the more people are hurt...the more children suffer or die.

July 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Frogist

@4Mercy: I think issues only come when you consider morality as black and white rather than recognizing there is only grey. You list divorce as immoral... That's a pretty black and white statement which ignores any favorable and moral reasons to get divorced like being in an abusive relationship. All the things you listed are not black and white or moral v immoral. We have to consider the circ-umstances in which they occur.

July 5, 2011 at 11:46 am |
  3. CommonSense

Face to face with God? How do you know "God" has a face? Because you saw it in a painting, or an illustration?
    Is it that difficult to see that man has created many Gods over the last 5000 years?

July 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • BradW

Apparently it is that difficult for many of the "believers". After all, they are also atheistic in all religious doctrine and dogma other than there own. They're simply atheistic w/r to only one less god than we atheists are. Go Figure!

July 4, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  4. fadeinlight

Again, God-hating CNN posts an article about atheists and what adventures they're up to. They make up about 2% of the population.

How many articles have you seen about Christians, say, feeding the homeless lately? How many that put the church in a bad light?

There is an agenda here. Wake up.

July 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • Wootie

Reality has no agenda. Only man has agendas.

July 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
    • apostate

Non-religion is one of the fastest growing groups in the US while religion is on decline in every state.

July 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • AZ Wildcat

The most current number from a 2004 poll was 9%, and that number is expected to double every 10 years. Sorry but Americans are no longer buying the medieval voodoo you all call religion.

July 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • Nick

Agreed AZ. Not to mention that the elderly are a huge percentage of those who still believe...

July 4, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Matt V

Actually atheists and non-believers make up about 15% of the american population, African-Americans only make up 12% of the population so don't say their opinion doesn't count.

July 4, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • willie

when I was homeless and starving not one single church would help me or give me food or shelter unless I prayed with them, went to their services or claimed a faith in god. Churches only help those who believe or have the willingness to believe. Hypocrites...

July 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • lerxt

It isn't newsworthy because it happens all the time. Besides, Christians shouldn't be helping the homeless for the recognition (that would be un-Christian).

July 4, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • 4mercy

Willie – that's definitely not true of all churches so I hope you don't generalize it to all. But if you did receive help from someone – anyone, I hope you thanked God that someone was there in your hour of need.

July 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Cndnguy2

Religiousness is a sign of a weak mind. Its a security blanket for those who are afraid of the unknown. I kind of feel sorry for them.

July 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • willie

@4mercy
      thank you for proving my point. To religious folk ignorance is bliss, to the rest of us, it's what keeps us from getting better.

July 4, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  5. beth

Those who insist that everyone share their belief seem to be unsure of their own. Live your faith and I will live mine. Do not try to force others to follow in yours.

July 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • The Bobinator

Atheism isn't a belief. It's a rejection of theistic claims.

It's actually the default position. Do you believe in a Loch Ness monster until it's proven that it doesn't exist? Or do you not believe in it until it's proven to exist.

By that same regard, atheism isn't patriotic as the one liner says. I think whomever made these slogans needs to reconsider and put out some decent ones.

July 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
    • open2it

Bobinator,
      You are correct, atheism is not equivalent to patriotism. Exercising the freedom to be an athiest IS, but no more or less so then exercising the freedom to be Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, Satanist, etc.

July 4, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  6. tom

It is simple: This country is ONE nation UNDER GOD and it will always be.

July 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • Nick

That is your opinion, Tom, but I think if you look at the demographics, the super rise in citizens that don't believe in your God or don't believe in God at all, you'll find that you're unfortunately mistaken. It's kind of like continuing to call the US the "land of opportunity" when being born black or living as a Muslim pretty much limits what you can do.

July 4, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • patriot

Which god?

July 4, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • apostate

"under god" was added in 1954. The original pledge did not have it.

July 4, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • Eric

You are absolutely correct!

And America's God is Neptune. I left Him a little offering down at the beach this morning.

Anyone who disagrees that Neptune is America's God HATES AMERICA and should be banished to the Soviet Union with all the other Godless Commies!!!!!!!1!!1!!!1!

July 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • didyouknow

I hope not. I hope my kids don't have to put up with that.

July 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • bob

If you replaced god with the word ignorance . it would make more sense

July 4, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
  7. erich2112x

Atheists are a drag. They don't like sports, they don't like movies, they don't watch TV, they don't eat meat.....it's like they spend their whole lives working on the compost pile out back.

July 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • Onslow

I'm an atheist. I love movies, reading, sports, am not a vegan. You, sir, obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

July 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • Nick

I find that pretty funny, too. I'm an athiest, and I've seen 3 movies in theaters in the last 2 weeks. I also love steak, don't compost, and watch the NHL and NFL obsessively.

July 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • patriot

Have you ever spoken to an athiest? I know lots of them and they're all regular people. The only difference is that they don't believe in god. Thats it. No big deal.

July 4, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • jdonaldson

I think you are confusing "athiest" with "fat-a$$ redneck" (usually Christians, btw)

July 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • Nick

But red-necks love sports! Oh wait, NASCAR is not a sport. My bad

July 4, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • Erich Shops at Stereotypes-R-Us

Yeah, and atheists have long noses, pointy hats, fly around on brooms, and they turned me into a newt!

I got better.

July 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • marciamarcia

Yeah, and Christians are just loads of fun.

July 4, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  8. Peacemaker

OF COURSE! You do not have to be a Christian, Jew or Muslim to be patriotic!

July 4, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
  9. Donman

July 4, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • Peacemaker

July 4, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • Alex

Then you're a good person, Peacemaker. Many Christians *do* shove their religion down their throat, as they feel it is their pretentious mission to "save" me.

July 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • Alex

*my throat. Excuse me.

July 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • apostate

Actually it takes no faith at all just like it doesn't take any faith not to believe in fairies, leprechauns, or Bigfoot. It must take great faith for you not to believe in Thor.

July 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • 4mercy

I don't know about having it "shoved down your throat", but Christians are called to evangelize...to spread the message of salvation to non-believers. It should be done both with love and by example.

July 4, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • patriot

"It takes more faith to believe there is not a God than to believe there is one. Why would an atheist be concerned with what others believe. They don't want to be alone in nothingness. Do they need others to validate their faith in no God. What do they gain by converting others to there nothingness."

No, it doesn't take more faith. Atheists are concerned because we're Americans too. And when the country is run by religious people, then we have a vested interest in what others believe. Can't you see that? Alone in nothingness? When you die, it'll be the same as it was before you were born. Do you remember the time before you were born? No, of course not. No big deal. But some of us try to live life to the fullest since we know that this is the only chance we get. There is nothing after this life so you better make it count. I don't need to convert others to my "nothingness" but it would be nice if others saw the world the same way I see it. I assume you probably feel the same about your views, don't you?

July 4, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • 4mercy

So you have died...and have been reborn and can tell us for certain that it will be exactly like it was before we were born?

July 4, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Harpo Darpo

It takes absolutely no effort to ignore stupid ideas that you don't believe in . . . unless the people who believe those stupid ideas try to get them taught in schools as phony theories, or if they try to convert your children without your permission or knowledge, or they try to pervert government and law to fit their stupid ideas.

Then it gets harder, but not because ignoring things you don't believe in is hard; it's because the nitwits who believe stupid ideas try to force them onto you, all the while claiming it is you who is shoving your non-belief down their throats because you say "no to their usurpation.

July 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  10. Zaphod

Leaving the house without wearing a hat is not a choice in headgear.
    Atheism is not amoral.
    Secular government is not an attack on faith. Neither is science.

July 4, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
    • Peacemaker

Okay.

July 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
  11. Praise Barbie

God is like Barbie – you can make her be anything you want it to be since both are just a vehicle for your imagination.

You can make Barbie a man or God a woman – it's your imagination, do what you want.

You can pretend that Barbie sends people you don't like to eternal punishment in Barbie's Lake Of Fire accessory set.

You can pretend that Barbie loves you and will protect you and do all sorts of special things for you that she won't do for others.

Praying to Barbie has the exact same result as praying to God.

Barbie can also tell you it's okay to hate gays and Muslims and atheists and people who make-believe with other dolls like Polly Pocket. Barbie hate those believers in Polly Pocket. It makes here every so mad!

Everyone makes their own personality for Barbie and God, and no two people imagine either exactly the same way.

God is just like playing with Barbie, without the plastic figure and tiny plastic high heels. The main difference is that Barbie actually exists.

And her followers don't kill and oppress and torture and start wars and try to make the country be ruled according to Barbie-ist doctrines.

And her followers do not try to suppress science.

And her followers do not insist that she really is a living being that created everything and is in control of everything, but is only responsible for the good things.

And her followers only try to gouge you out of your money at Barbie collectors shows, not every Sunday.

So Barbie would actually be a much better God than the Abrahamic gods.

July 4, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
    • Peacemaker

FYI : There are no "Abrahamic gods" ...... just so you know.

July 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • alan

Why is it so hard to believe that there is no God? It would explain how messed up the world is. but would the world be a better place if people actually believed there is no God? I think so,because religion would be one less topic to fight about. There would be no more Holy Wars. Everything about everything can be explained without doubt by science.

July 4, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
  12. Someone You Don't Know

Christians, take note. THIS is what people who don't share your beliefs think of you. You claim to be about love and peace and all that happy jazz, but the reality is that you spread a reign of terror in the name of your god, and people fear to speak their mind, because you are liable to attack and hurt others who dare think differently for you. You can claim all you want that people who do that aren't real christians, but this is still a common perception. Do what you claim muslims should do regarding their radicals: publicly decry them with a big name in the christian community...oops, those big names are the same radicals you should be tearing down.

July 4, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
    • Luigi

Clearly such people aren't showing love. Why do you insist on calling them Christians? (Because they say they are? I can say I'm Sarah Palin. Does that make me her? Of course not.)

July 4, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • Jeff Williams

"""Why do you insist on calling them Christians? (Because they say they are? I can say I'm Sarah Palin. Does that make me her? Of course not.)"""

Luigi, you really need to understand something here.

It doesn't matter if you think they're true Christians or not.

What matters is that Christian mythology fuels their fire.

July 4, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • Luigi

Jeff, I didn't take a position on if such people were true Christians are not. My position is precision in communications is important. Errors lead to misunderstanding, which is a failure.

I know the issue is over the use of the word "Christian" but I think I can make my point better using the word "God."

"God" does not have a universally accepted definition. Some claim it to mean the God of Abraham. Others claim it to be Spinoza's God. Others could use a polytheistic approach and say Zeus, Hera, Demeter, are all gods. I could go on. I believe I've demonstrated that a single word has polymorphic meaning.

July 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • Jeff Williams

"""Another example is our friend the + symbol. What does that mean? (Or do you need a context?)"""

For one who professes an interest in precision in communications, you're being unnecessarily cryptic.

July 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Frogist

@Luigi: You might want to consult some of the more radical Christians because they always say they are doing their dirty deeds out of love.

July 5, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
  13. Believer

God is real. This is the only explanation of how the world was formed and how each living create is unique. Scientists' explanation are considered a theory–not fact. No one living has seen God, but it is by faith that I believe he exist and is in control of everything. We have free will to believe or not believe. For me, it is a better choice than theories.

July 4, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
    • Chris M

You state that science is only a theory and not a fact. I don't hold much for science, but then to me God is only a Theory and not fact.

Both cannot prove their theory is correct outright.

I believe in GOOD, that is all I need to live life to the fullest.

July 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • Ari

which god? your god or a greek god, or a roman god or perhaps a buddhist god? which version of all the BS do you believe?

July 4, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
    • Eric

Then who created God? If something complex requires a creator, then who created God?

July 4, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
    • Nick

The only reason that such theories (like evolution) have not been branded "laws" is because of people like you that will never accept that you've fallen victim to a 2000 year old lie.

July 4, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • News Flash

God is not real just because you say so. There are other explanations for the universe, you are just too lazy to go learn about them. You are right though, you are free to believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster if you chose to.

July 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • FlyingSpaghettiMonster

Scientific theories are different than regular theories, because they are based on testable and repeatable empirical evidence and results. However, I'll give you this, I am there manipulating the data to make it look that way, for it is I that created the universe as we know it, and it is I that makes evolution look like it is true.

July 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  14. Anon Atheist

This banner thing seems like another battle really not worth fighting and ineffectively fought. The better thing to do would be to have Atheists run for public office. Atheists feel persecuted because there is less of a chance that an Atheist will be elected to high federal office than a member of any religious group, and it'd be nice to see more Atheist candidates try.

July 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
  15. BENJI

I can't wait to see the look on their faces when they stand face to face with God.

July 4, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • Eric

Which god? Zeus? Allah? The Flying Spaghetti Monster?

What if you believe in the wrong god? What if you die and find youself face-to-face with Quetzalcoatl who is damned angry because you've never made a human sacrifice to him?

Maybe you should face up to the fact that ALL religions are ridiculous nonsense. Not every religion can be right, but all of them can be wrong.

And you don't get smited with lightning bolts for being a nonbeliever. Actually, life is just fine. Remember when you stopped believing in Santa? It's pretty much like that.

July 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
    • John Richardson

I really wish I could believe in the second coming of Christ, as I would LOVE to see the look on the face of all the hitherto (thitherto?) smugly self-assured Christians as Jesus says "I never knew you!" and flings them aside. Oh yes, that would make for some mighty fine TV! I'd pay $79.95 pay-per-view for sure!

July 4, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • Nick

Haha Benji I can't wait to see your face when you die and your spirit doesn't go anywhere. Oh wait, it will look the same.

July 4, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • FlyingSpaghettiMonster

@Eric
      Hey, since you brought Me into this, remember, if you want to enjoy My heaven, that with an eternal beer volcano and st!pper factory, be nice, or I will spite you with my noodly appendage.

July 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • JonSnow

What god would that be? Osiris? Zeus? Mithra? Dyonisis? Rah? Posiden? Wotan? Thor? Krishna? What if we are wrong, what if YOU are wrong?

July 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • John Richardson

Actually, you don't get 'smited' at all. You get SMITTEN. Please, do not offend the God of Passive Participles!!!!!!

July 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • FlyingSpaghettiMonster

@John
      Depends on what dictionary you look at in regards to smited. However, as is noted in My Gospel, not to bag on Myself, Unintelligent Design(UD) is a more valid theory than ID.....Ramen.

July 4, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • John Richardson

@FlyingSpaghettiMonster Harrumph!!! I feel a DOCTRINAL DISPUTE coming on!!! Perhaps a smited/smitten schism???? 😀

July 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  16. 4mercy

“Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come." Matthew 12: 30-32 For those who think the Bible is "just another book" don't bother to comment – we've heard it all before. But don't criticize us for following our instructions from God- one of which is to convey His message to the non-believers. Happy Independence Day! Thank you to all those who have provided our freedoms – especially our Father above.

July 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
    • Tom

crap crap crap

July 4, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
    • Eric

The Bible? No, the KORAN is the one true holy book. You've been worshipping a false god!

(Or maybe all of these "holy" books are a load of horse feces.)

July 4, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • FlyingSpaghettiMonster

The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the one true book...R'amen.

July 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • 4mercy

I, as a Christian, have considered the possibility that God may not exist, but because of what I see on Earth and feel in my heart, I believe He does. Are you, as an atheist, willing to consider that God does exist and that the life of Jesus in New Testament contains God's vision for how we are to live this life?

July 4, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • John Richardson

@4mercy For the 14 millionth time. Most non-believers are former believers.

July 4, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • FlyingSpaghettiMonster

If you take the mythology and supernatural out of the bible, and look at the basic tenets Jesus laid down of love, compassion, tolerance, and do unto others as you would have done unto yourself, that is all good. If you believe in the virgin birth, walking on water, resurrection, and all of the other miracles that countless pagan Gods also shared, you believe in nonsense and things that are just not true.

July 4, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • 4mercy

....and many believers were former non-believers.

July 4, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • apostate

More believers becoming non-believers than vice versa. Religion is in decline in every state.

July 4, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • John Richardson

I don't think all that many converts to Christianity have ever been atheist or agnostic, though some clearly have. But you are once again evading the point. People like you keep yammering and stammering and imploring non-believers to consider believing in god, when many of us in fact once DID. Non-believers have generally given the matter a lot more thought than believers.

July 4, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • JonSnow

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full." –Matthew 6:5

Your own book tells you to keep it to yourself. Leave people alone.

July 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • JonSnow

"I, as a Christian, have considered the possibility that God may not exist, but because of what I see on Earth and feel in my heart, I believe He does."

What evidence do you have? What you see on earth? How can you see what happens on this planet and still believe in a "god"?

July 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • 4mercy

I assume that you mean you are seeing bad things on Earth....well, that's true...there are many bad things, many innocent people suffer. You may see this as needless random suffering without any point or reason. I believe in God because I see this suffering and cannot fathom that there is no purpose for it. On the other hand, miracles occur every day...people healed of diseases or conditions which no doctors can explain and other kinds. Most just call it bad medicine or coincidence. I believe there is more to it. If we're all here on earth just because we're born randomly and meant only to breathe, eat, sleep, and die some day...then, really, why even bother with learning to read or write or educate oneself? The thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to reason...to look at the world around us. If all you see is meaningless suffering, I can imagine why one would be an atheist.

July 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  17. Refudiator

Considering God told Bush what to do, and how that turned out.... I'm surprised there aren't more Atheist in the USA.

July 4, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
    • Dolce21

Here we go again, blaming Bush, for others mistakes. We were more in agreement, than we are now under a government that is faithless. Or at least some are!

July 4, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
    • Luigi

If God told President Bush something, then there is a God.

Such a statement can't be used to disprove God. (It also can't be used to prove there's a God.)

What are you trying to say?

July 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • Ray in Vegas

You've completely missed Refudiator's point. If god is all knowing and all wise ... then the advice he gave Bushy boy would have turned out better than it did. It's a joke. Went right through you.

July 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  18. ian

What a bunch of bigots!!!

July 4, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
    • The Bobinator

I like the irony of labeling a group as bigots, thereby making you a bigot. Wonderful parody.

July 4, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
  19. Mike

I am atheist and I do not believe in promoting or "recruiting" for atheism. It is a bit hypocritical.

July 4, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • Peacemaker

July 4, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> I like your comment. I am amazed at the number of atheists on this blog, since they don't believe in God, what's the point in arguing with Believers?

We will never change the mind of the true believers. They're unable to think and rationally examine to see if they're wrong.

It's for all the middle of the road people who may be roped up in stupid arguments. Thats' why I post here and that's why I tear down the illogical and silly arguments of the believers.

As for the why, beliefs inform your decisions. People are being denied their rights to marriage because some people think that a primitive book which declares "wearing fabric made of more then one type of material" as a sin, is a relevant and worthwhile source for reality.

July 4, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • Ray in Vegas

The point is we atheists have a PR problem. The organizer said they are not trying to recruit anybody. This was a PR campaign. Non-believers often feel misunderstood. I agree that the campaign is misguided, however. It comes across as an attack on believers, and I don't think that was the intent. The intent was to raise awareness of the many patriotic Americans who are professed non-believers. I believe this ad campaign fails to achieve that goal.

July 4, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • Frogist

@Peacemaker: It's an article on atheism. Believers and others are criticising the campaign. Atheists and other non-believers are refuting their crazy biases. What's not to understand?

July 5, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
  20. Haime52

Interesting! Atheism is a belief in Evolution or Darwinism, you can't get around it, it is belief in something. And it takes a certain amount of faith, to believe in that theory. And it is just that, a theory. Proof being a recreation of it under laboratory conditions. If it is not repeatable, then it must remain a theory. We must be correct about these things or we will find ourselves using improper and unscientific terms. Since we cannot know the specific conditions that may have cause the progression toward life, it is impossible to recreate them and if we did, it would only show that life was CREATED in the lab. Again, we lose. Even Dawkins has conceded that God might exist, that evolution cannot rule out His existence.
    Believe what you will and let all mankind live in peace, each satified with his or her own belief system.
    BTW, I have found that true believers in Christ, force no one to agree with them. They may tell you about their belief, in glowing terms, and exort you to accept Him, but if they are reaaly followers, they have never try to demean or force me and are quite good friends.

July 4, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • T3chsupport

No it's not. It's simply a disbelief in a deity. That is all atheism is.

July 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
    • Oleg

Atheism is NOT a belief in evolution. Atheism is a lack of belief in any god (or gods).

There are atheists who think that evolution is wrong (though a minority).

July 4, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • Michael

Buddy, seems u flunked 8th grade science, hate to tell u this, but gravity is a scientific theory....stupid people should keep their mouths shut

July 4, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • pdfsmail

And again you who call others stupid.. that a disbelif is a BELIEF that something is not... Hence you believe there is no diety.. quit beating around the bush.. what gets me is I will tell Christians and other god believing faiths the same thing about how they beat around the bush about forcing religion.. both of your religions are jut as bad

July 4, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@Haime52

By your definition/description of what a theory is, relgion and god(s) are a theory, no better than what you claim evolution is. In fact, religion and god(s) are really bad theories given that there is no physical evidence to support them.

July 4, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • Kurt

Hey, remember that we're ALL atheists....you don't believe in Thor or Apollo, do you? it's just that some of us believe in one fewer god than you.

July 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • Peacemaker

You make an interesting point, Haime52! I am a Christian, and I believe in the Big Bang and evolution........why not? God is amazing! Evolution, etc., does not disprove there is a God......... I believe it only enhances my believe that there is a Creator that is downright awesome!

July 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • Jeff Williams

"""Atheism is a belief in Evolution or Darwinism"""

Wrong. Atheism is simply a personal philosophy that does not consider mythology – in any form – to be true or real.

Evolution/Darwinism is a completely different concept.

"""Proof being a recreation of it under laboratory conditions."""

I suggest you read up a little bit on various fields of science and scientific methodology. Learn about historical and observational science. It's not all done in "the lab".

"""I have found that true believers in Christ, force no one to agree with them."""

That's not the problem, all proselytizing aside. But they do influence the enacting of Christian based laws and education policies which are intrusive and regressive.

If we want to advance as a culture, such bronze age mysticism must be relegated to a more personal role, if not phased out entirely.

July 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • willie

WRONG!
      Belief is the enemy. Once you allow your mind to believe something it stops trying to figure it out. Understanding is a much higher thought process than belief. Nothing can be fully understood so by searching for understanding we continue to learn and evolve. Belief is death.

July 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm |