home
RSS
July 4th, 2011

Atheists explain flying ad campaign

On the Fourth of July across the U.S., American Atheists are taking to skies with a flying banner ad campaign.

They will be flying over busy holiday hot spots like beaches and parks with banners that read: "Atheism is Patriotic" and "God-LESS America."

Some pilots balked and would not fly the banner ads.

Justin Jaye of Fly Signs Aerial Advertising, told the Belief Blog last week,  "I've been in this business for 20 years and I've never run into so much resistance on people flying," Jaye said. "I've had pilots who are actual atheists who said, 'Justin, I am an atheist and I won't fly it because I can't wear a bulletproof vest.'"

In the video above, Rick Wingrove from the Virginia chapter of American Atheists explains to CNN's T.J. Holmes more about the campaign and why they picked the Fourth of July.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Content Partner • Faith • TV-CNN Newsroom • United States

soundoff (1,760 Responses)
  1. Old man

When they heard the truth, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed their teeth. ... Then they cried out with a loud voice, stopped their ears, and came at them with one accord...

July 4, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • Cheelus

And what are you trying to say?

July 4, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Chris Greer

E-I-E-I-O...

July 4, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • apostate

It's Bible verse time I guess and god is a poo smearer.

Malachi 2:3 Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces.

July 4, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  2. Donman

I sure there might 1 or 2 athiest charities but, how many Athiest organizations out there contribute to the needy. The word says you do not gain right standing with God by good works, but knowledge of his gift. When this gift is realize and we realize we are made like God and his is our Daddy we start to act like him. True Christains are the kindest people. Most athiest seem self centered and alone in spirit. I am glad I have my father to remind of who I am.

July 4, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • apoloctil

You mean like the Red Cross? They are not a tooth-fairy based organization..they've helped some folks. The only thing Christians do is help themselves to the cookie jar and alter boys.

July 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • LOL

Your ignorance is palpable.

July 4, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Cheelus

I have found religious people to be the most vicious and hateful people on the planet. There are nice ones, but you cannot trust the religious to make sense anyway. They base most of their decisions on things that are not true despite tons of proof to the contrary. That is not a good thing.

July 4, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • apoloctil

That is truth, Cehellus...there is an old saying..."Don;t turn your back on a Christian"...it is still true today.

July 4, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • James

One, there are plenty of charities that are not based in religion. Take the time to look them up. Two, I'm an atheist and I have volunteered at homeless shelters, handed out food for the needy at Thanksgiving, and given gifts to needy children during the holidays, just to name a few things. I do not believe I'm unique among atheists, so to categorize atheists as self centered and imply they are not giving people is really unfair.

July 4, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • leeChus

@Cheelus...Tons of proof? where are they?

July 4, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  3. I wonder

Out of all of the attacks on believers by atheists on these faith-based posts by CNN... I wonder... How many of these people are hiding behind a computer screen? As in, I wonder.. How many of them have family members who are believers, and they wouldn't say such things to them? But instead, they would have civil dialogue? Are your mom/dad believers? Any aunts/uncles? Your closest friends? Would you berate them, put them down, slam them, call them names? I doubt you do... It's much easier to hide behind a computer screen.

I wonder... how many of you are fakes? Are you a fake behind the computer screen or are you a fake in front of people in real life?

There are some very kind atheists out there who are civil and can have some nice discussions. They don't put people down, they respect the beliefs of others.. and conversations are peaceful with them. This comment is not for you.. I'm wondering about those that attack and say some nasty things..

July 4, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Season

I agree, I'm an Atheists who believes people can have faith in whatever they want....

July 4, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • apostate

I wonder the same thing about believers sitting in pews every Sunday knowing Christianity is a load of bull who are too afraid to admit they don't believe in nonsense anymore.

July 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Ted M.

You call people "fakes" yet your name is, I would guess, not "I wonder". You are a fake in this way.
      This is an anonymous blog. Everyone is hiding their identification in this world where identlty theft and other crimes are rampant.
      Why not make a real argument instead of attacking people for saying whatever they want on an anonymous blog?

July 4, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • I wonder

Funny, one agrees and sees the point. 2 others do the thing the post talks about. Interesting...

Maybe re-read the post. I'm not referring to hiding with a userID on an anonymous posting board. You missed the point.

July 4, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • John

My room mate is an athiest. But the kind that doesnt ever discuss god or religion. In the 9 months ive been sitting next to him, hes never said a word about any of it, he just says "im an athiest and i dont believe in god" then he moves on. He doesnt have the passion that a lot of people here have against religion or god. He calls them "born agains"

July 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Ted M.

You think I don't tell people I'm an atheist? What makes you think you know anything about me? My friends and family know I'm an atheist. Most of them are religious. I am not hiding behind a computer screen you silly rabbit.

July 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Harpo Darpo

You wonder some stupid things, I wonder. Almost everyone here softens their positions when talking with other humans out of respect for their feelings and dignity. Only the craziest people like Adelina would speak like that in public, especially amongst friends and family.

It's called civilization.

Unmoderated forums like these always devolve into some very blunt exchanges. It's because one person's attempt to be civil will get some ugly responses from people who are not here to debate intelligently. After a while, the person who initially wanted to be civil starts bashing back a bit as well. The nature of the forum pretty much guarantees that this happens to most people here.

Would you actually stand in front of a group of people and berate them as you just did, calling them fakes? That's pretty crude. Have you ever done it? Is this actually YOUR true behavior?

Is "I wonder" your real name, or are you a fake hiding behind a computer screen?

I respect your desire for civility, but the nature of the forum and the contentiousness of the topic guarantees that most people get nastier here that they would face-to-face.

July 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • Donna

I wonder, that's a phenomenon that goes both ways- and all ways. I read an interesting article recently about journalists who read the comments on their stories and are disgusted by the intensity and frequency of the hate speech on anonymous comments sections. There is definitely something to hiding behind the computer screen that allows people to say things they wouldn't say to people's faces. I simply disagree that it's anymore prevalent among atheists than non-athiests.

July 4, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • Grundoon

@ I wonder, I think that you either try to find something to be offended by or are just offended by those that don't agree with you. I did not read anything uncivil in the 2 posts you chastise. It appears to me you like the 1st post because the poster agrees with you. The other 2 point out flaws in your logic in their disagreement with you or point out your apparent hypocrisy – and neither did so rudely. You need to learn what is truly offensive and not just get offended with those who disagree with you or point out your flawed logic. That is true civility and I suggest you learn it, dear.

July 4, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  4. James

It seems a lot of people on here do not understand exactly what a scientific theory is. Before you post something about evolution being just a theory, take the time to find out what that means exactly.

July 4, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Ted M.

Education is the antlthesis of religion.

July 4, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  5. Bailee

They have every right to fly an ad whenever they like. Get over it. It's called freedom of speech.

July 4, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  6. Jackyankee

we all die sometime

July 4, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
  7. Gina

And someone needs to knock some sense into erich's head. All that you are spouting are common misconceptions. So to you Atheists don't even breathe or shower? All that you stated is completely and utterly wrong. I watch TV, and I am glad there are actually atheists on some shows I watch. I eat meat, I do everything you mentioned minus working on the compost pile out back. And FYI, I like sports as well.

Despite what you believe, atheists actually have jobs as well. Perhaps you should actually meet an atheist face to face, you wouldn't even realize what one is. We look exactly like everyone else, except we don't wear crucifixes around our necks or gigantic Jesus pins on our chests.

July 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  8. Alan

July 4th is America's first secular holiday.

July 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  9. Atheist Heavy Industries

Here's a bit of deep water for anyone with the ability to swim:
    The last two paragraphs from Percy Bysshe Shelley's "On A Future State" (about life after death)
    .........
    "It is said that it is possible that we should continue to exist in some mode totally inconceivable to us at present. This is a most unreasonable presumption. It casts on the adherents of annihilation the burden of proving the negative of a question, the affirmative of which is not supported by a single argument, and which, by its very nature, lies beyond the experience of the human understanding. It is sufficiently easy. indeed, to form any proposition, concerning which we are ignorant, just not so absurd as not to be contradictory in itself, and defy refutation. The possibility of whatever enters into the wildest imagination to conceive is thus triumphantly vindicated. But it is enough that such assertions should be either contradictory to the known laws of nature, or exceed the limits of our experience, that their fallacy or irrelevancy to our consideration should be demonstrated. They persuade, indeed, only those who desire to be persuaded.

This desire to be forever as we are; the reluctance to a violent and unexperienced change, which is common to all the animated and inanimate combinations of the universe, is, indeed, the secret persuasion which has given birth to the opinions of a future state."

July 4, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Ceri

I can imagine two caterpillars having the same conversation regarding the possibility of them flying one day – a ridiculous proposition beyond their understanding, no doubt.

July 4, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • John Richardson

Funny, I can't imagine two caterpillars having ANY conversation. What are you smoking?

July 4, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • open2it

Two muffins are sitting in an oven. The first muffin says "Hey, is it hot in here?" The second muffins says "Holy Cow! A talking muffin!" 🙂

July 4, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  10. Nodack

I have never had an Athiest come knock on my door spreading "their word" ever and I couldn't count how many times other religions have come knocking on my door trying to convince me to join their cause.

Atheists don't belong to any atheist clubs that I know of. They don't go around neighborhoods knocking on dooors spreading their beliefs. They don't have a book written a couple thousand years ago by man claiming to write the very word of God that they study all their lives. They are just normal people that have thought for themselves, done the math and figured out that most of the world believes in man made cults.

People should be allowed to follow whatever their beliefs are and I respect your right to choose to follow whatever religion you choose to follow out of the hundreds available out there. I love the fantasy world and love movies like Lord Of The Rings, but after the movie I can return to reality. I believe that people that follow religions aren't living in the reality world.

July 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • BeamMeUpScotty

Remember that ATHEISM isn't a BELIEF. It is the LACK OF BELIEF.

I prefer the label: RATIONALIST

There are no logical arguments for the existence of this thingy labelled "God". Hence, you will never ever be able to find evidence for or against this thingy "God".

"God" is not even a logical coherent idea.

July 4, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • hansbronson

atheist don't start rescue missions that clothe and feed people or send people to other countries to help build homes or give free medical or dental or risk and even sometimes give their life while helping others in muslim countries. As a matter of fact I think atheist and muslims have the same goal, get rid of christians, something to think about

July 4, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • Techclique

I have the same problem with these ads as I do for religious ads or door knockers. They are meant to push your views on someone else. I'm a Christian and that's my choice, one of my best friends is an Atheist and that's his. We respect each others views and there are no issues. People need to look in the mirror though when they soapbox their views. I see atheists come on these forums and tell me what an stupid idiot I am to believe in God. But then get all upset when a Christian comes on and says they are going to hell for not believing. They are both using their views to antagonize others and it's not right no matter what you believe.

July 4, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • Ted M.

I think they should have used the banners to provide a good joke of some sort. Or maybe just a big smiley face.
      Why bother saying ridiculous things like "atheism is patriotism"?

July 4, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • Frogist

@hansbronson: No, I guess the Red Cross or Doctors Without Borders or our many atheist servicemen and women don't count in your opinion?
      @Techclique: I see your point of view. But I don't think it's quite fair to equate a call for recognising that atheists exist and shouldn't be persecuted for their lack of belief in gods with the sort of proselytizing done by Christians. Can you really look at a banner that asks someone to recognise that atheists are patriotic too with a billboard that says non-Christians are going to hell?

July 5, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
  11. apoloctil

I personally don;t think this is going far enough. Hopefully, this campaign will continue and the silent majority of non-kooks will demand that they stop forcing their fairy tales on us. I actually think religious lies are criminal, and we should start looking at legal sanction and penalties against those who spread them...sedition, perhaps.

July 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  12. Matt

If Christians can park gigantic tanker trucks in the WORST spots on the road that read "Jesus Christ is LORD, Not a Swear Word", or "Jesus is the REASON for the SEASON", then Atheists should be able to do whatever they please!! Come on people, I'd think you'd lighten up on the Atheists after that whole hullabaloo with the Doomsday guy. Atheists are sane, Christians believe in an invisible man. The real question is, would an ad REALLY affect your thinking and culture? Or would you scoff at it much like I scoff at the Christian ads? These hurt nobody, so grow up.

July 4, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Frogist

@Matt: No, I don't think it would change anyone's mind initially. But I think it might start some conversations happening which, upon refuting the prejudices atheists have to face, could eventually change minds.

July 5, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
  13. James Black

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSvqMBj-ig&w=640&h=360]
    ..'

July 4, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  14. crucified

a very small group of people...shame

July 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • Brian Macker

Shame on you bigot.

July 4, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • Matt

Not as small as you think. Your myths are starting to crumble under the weight of the Internet, and knowledge.

July 4, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • kendall

Athiests have their own special holiday already.........April Fools day. We will keep the 4th for everyone else. "Only a fool says in his heart there is no God"

July 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • apostate

@kendall
      Matthew 5:22 But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.

July 4, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • Bailee

small? Atheists are about 15% of america..that's a massive group. You have neighbors that are atheists. Every time you step out into the public, at least one person you interact with is an Atheist. Atheists are exactly like you are. You can't hide from them. And quite frankly, Id take an atheist over a christian as my neghbor any day, cuz in general they are very very decent good people. I think it's more sad that you live in a fantasy world.

July 4, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • Nodack

"Only a fool says in his heart there is no God"

So all Athiests are fools? You say God, but you didn't say which one. There are hundreds of Gods. I believe in the God of picture frames, does that make me OK? My house is covered with picture frames with no pictures in them because our God believes that a picture frame is the entrance to heaven, where I'll have 50 virgins and get to live in a great bib picture frame house and get to make picture frames for eternity in bliss.

July 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Chris Greer

In the beginning Man created God, not the other way around.

July 4, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  15. Unknown

No wounder why our country is going to the dumps. Every time a traditional event that is suppose to be celebrated by all Americas (ex. Christians, Jews, Muslims, Atheists, Agnostics, gays ect...ect...) one group has come in and hijack it. I'm speaking as a non-believer.

July 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • Nick

It's more them railing against a majority that believes that atheists aren't able or are unwilling to celebrate it.

July 4, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • Matt

Oh, so Atheists should just let religious zealots run the planet then? Dude, come on.

July 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Ted M.

Independence Day is about throwing off the tyranny of England's theocracy of the mid-1700s.
      That's why we have a President and not a king anointed by a religion. We all need to live together with all our different religions and non-believers. We are all Americans with the freedom to believe what we want. We have freedom of thought.
      And we have more representation now. Before the Revolution, we didn't have any at all. Now we do.

So this is a sort of atheist holiday, for the whole country was born when it threw off the religious tyranny of England.
      Independence Day is about being free of religious government.
      Have a great Independence Day!!

July 4, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  16. BigBoyBC

Militant Atheists proselytising their beliefs, just like Evangelical Christians. What's next Atheists churches.

July 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • Eric

What's next? How about a few lessons in grammar and spelling?

You're making Christians look bad. A lot of people think Christians aren't very smart and you're playing right into that stereotype.

So maybe you should keep your mouth shut until you can work your way up to the spelling and grammar skills of a third-grader. Otherwise, you're just hurting Christianity by appearing to be an idiot.

July 4, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Brian Macker

Your comment makes the valid assumption that churches are bad, as is Christian evangelism. Thanks for admitting that.

July 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Matt

Critical thinking ability defines intelligence, along with creativity, ingenuity. The only qualities that Christians display are stubborn faith in the face of evidence that is contrary to what they believe. I call that pretty small minded...

July 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • apoloctil

The country is already in a dump because of the Xtians...thankfuly, the athoiests are reaching ut a helping hand and putting the country back on its feet.

July 4, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • BeamMeUpScotty

There are Churches of ATHEISM all over the world.

They are called UNIVERSITIES.

July 4, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  17. T

That's funny, this ad campaign sounds a lot like atheists proselytizing during a patriotic event. Isn't that a violation of the separation of church and state? Isn't this exactly the kind of aggressive, intolerant behavior for which Christians are constantly derided?
    And as for the 'bulletproof vest' nonsense, when was the last time a Christian murdered someone for political or idealistic reasons? This implication of Christians being violent and intolerant is an outlandish lie.
    Browse around CNN comments sections and you will find more hatred and vitriol directed at Christians and religious people than at any other demographic. And yet you rarely see that kind of language coming from posters arguing in favor of religion.
    Shock! It's kind of like the religious people are practicing what they believe.

July 4, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • Edwin

The separation clause has to do with government, not private citizens. Christians proselytize all the time, and nobody gets their panties in a bunch. Granted, this is a more dramatic advertising campaign, but it is not even proselytizing - it is really just saying "not believing in God is okay".

On the subject, why is it that when atheists advertise their beliefs people get all upset, but when other theological groups do it is considered okay? Why is there so much animosity directed specifically at atheism? Currently, I can only think of one religious group (muslims) that face as much hostility. Even Judaism does not have it quite so bad.

July 4, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Jen

As I recall, American Christians were shooting abortion clinincs and their workers. I agree that the majority of Christians hold to the "thou shalt not kill" policy, but not all.

July 4, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Matt

If Christians want to not be so hated, then they maybe should get a bit quieter and stop parking that GIGANTIC gas tanker in front of my house that reads in BIG RED LETTERS "Jesus is LORD, NOT a Swear Word". Christians and your prophecies, your slogans, your bloody door to door salesman.... ONE atheist campaign goes off and Christians cry foul. Atheists are THE MOST PERSECUTED PEOPLE IN THE WORLD, so dont gimme that "everyone hates Christians" crap... You're the 2nd largest religion after Islam!

July 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • T

@ Edwin – Actually when Christians proselytize, atheists get their panties in a bunch, particularly in political contexts. And then they go out and proselytize. That was my point.
      @ Jen – That's a good point, but these are still isolated incidents. I feel like the most publicized stories about intolerant Christians have become the new stereotype, when in reality only a very small minority of Christians are like that. And their own Scriptures condemn them.

July 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Not sure WHICH of the CNN message boards you've been patronizing, my friend, but if you want to see Christian bigotry and vitriol in massive doses, look up the reactions to the recent extension of marriage equality to gays and lesbians in New York and Rhode Island. Of course, all you'll see now is what's left AFTER CNN purged the death threats and the most overtly salacious epithets, but you get a real good flavor, even with what's left, for what we minority groups have to put up with CONSTANTLY from the Christian majority in this country.

July 4, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • Donna

T, when it deals with governmental politics, then people are correct to invoke the issue of the separation of church and *state.* If anyone (atheists included), cries about the separation of church and state when it is regarding private citizens, then they are wrong.

July 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • @ Edwin and to all atheists that they may driven back to their senses

Why? It's simply because religion, like money (that has In God We Trust in It), is commonly and widely accepted, atheism is not.

July 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • Jennifer

These are private citizens using their money–not tax money–to generate an ad campaign.

If it was an organization endorsed or supported by the government, then it would be an issue. This group is not violating any law.

July 4, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • 74duki

Not proselytizing, just out and proud – letting the closeted atheists know we're with them. Not trying to convert anyone.

July 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Aaron

Ever heard of abortion clinic bombings/shootings? The U.S. is a mostly-Christian nation, and has plenty of blood on its hands as such. Just as most are content eating meat but would never dream of killing a cow or pig themselves, this nation's Christian masses are happy to hide in their homes and let their armed forces go abroad, killing other people in the name of a Christian-defined "freedom." Hmmm...

July 4, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • 74duki

July 4, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Re: "when was the last time a Christian murdered someone for political or idealistic reasons?", given that many christians consider abortion to be murder, christians and othe believers commit murder on a routine basis as 72% of abortions in the USA are had by believers.

July 4, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@T

Violence between Catholics and Protestants has picked up again in Northern Ireland.
      Elsewhere in the world, we have the Manmasi National Christian Army and the National Liberation Front of Tripura, who force Hindus to convert at gun point and are known to encourage the murder of Hindu children.
      Those people are simply following Saint Augustine's doctrine of 'cognite intrare' – or 'lead them in' which justifies and encourages torture, vandalism, forced conversions and using violence to convert others in the name of Christianity.
      How about The Army of God and other groups who kill doctors in the U.S. ?
      What about white supremacist Christian terrorist groups like the Aryan Nations, Aryan Republican Army, Phineas Priesthood, and The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord?

July 4, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • @ 74duki and to all atheists that they may driven back to their senses

Yep, (atheists) they are neither proselytizing nor trying to convert anyone "yet". They are only soliciting attention and trying hard to make themselves relevant.

July 4, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  18. bob

religion is a nice way to say ignorant

July 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • Matt

Bob is a nice way to say buffoon.

July 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • willie

Is that what your religion teaches you Matt? To be rude and call others names who don't share your beliefs?

July 4, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • Ted M.

Religion is bigotry wrapped in delusion.

July 4, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • ABSCBN

@willie...Why not wipe the mole on bob's eyes first before matt's? Apparently you share the same closet, hence, there's a greater probabality that he will listen (to you) than matt will.

July 4, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  19. Albert

idiot. Maybe a handful of people have told him that atheists are not patriotic, but MOST people wouldn't think that because the two statements are totally unrelated! Quit being a baby and just because someone told you that you aren't patriotic, doesn't mean we all think that.

July 4, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
  20. SCAtheist

Obviously our religious friends don't know what atheism is, but the real issue here is the prejudice atheists have to go through. There are no admitted atheists in congress. Atheists have religion forced down their throat in the military (I am an ex-Marine). You risk your job in my state if you admit to being an atheist.

This coming out thing is about respect for others.

July 4, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • Donna

My husband is in the military and he is a liberal atheist. He is open about his political beliefs, but he would be ostracized if he were open about being an atheist.

July 4, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • @ SCAtheist and to all atheists that they may driven back to their senses

Why? It's simply because religion, like money (that has "In God We Trust in It" printed on it), is commonly and widely accepted. While atheism (like candy wrapper) is immaterial and irrelevant.

July 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Donna

If atheism were truly irrelevant, we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we. ; )

July 4, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • @ donna and to all atheists that they may driven back to their senses

Because (atheists) they labored, spent too much and have been trying very hard just to seek attention and make themselves relevant. At least, they are now enjoying the fruit of it and they should cherish it while it last.

But they must try harder next time.

July 4, 2011 at 2:32 pm |